OtherGround Forums Going to start building AKs...

12 days ago
1/12/10

So I see it has been demilled. How do you go about putting everything back together? Just clean it up really well and get a really good welder to do it then sonic test it? 

12 days ago
1/23/14
ActiveMeasures - 

Nice score

12 days ago
6/13/03
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -

So I see it has been demilled. How do you go about putting everything back together? Just clean it up really well and get a really good welder to do it then sonic test it? 

You buy or bend a reciever and add a barrel  Plus a few other US made parts for 922r.

12 days ago
12/29/03
Sogsteel -
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -

You buy or bend a reciever and add a barrel  Plus a few other US made parts for 922r.

Yep. Basically you complete the demill, get a receiver and a barrel.

First head space the barrel to the front trunnion then drill the hole for the barrel pin. Populate the barrel with the rear sight block, handguard retainer, gas block and front sight. Drill and pin them. 

Push the barrel out of the trunnion and then assemble the receiver. Front trunnion, rear trunnion, trigger guard all have to be riveted onto the receiver. After that, push the barrel back in, double check headspace then pin it. 

Some people do the receiver first then headspace the barrel when it's in the receiver, which I would do if I had the correct tools. But for me it's easier to headspace first. 

Then assemble everything else and test fire. 

12 days ago
11/15/07

Did you get a M72 barrel? I remember back in the day, Numrich used to have barrels and a bunch of Yugo parts.

12 days ago
12/29/03

12 days ago
12/29/03
The gun has been issued by the looks of it, but man its in good shape. I'd say 95% bluing left if not a bit more. Completed the initial clean up by boiling in a pot of water and degreaser.

will finish cleaning the rest tonight
12 days ago
12/29/03
TFK_Mas Tisu - 

Did you get a M72 barrel? I remember back in the day, Numrich used to have barrels and a bunch of Yugo parts.

Going to order an m72 barrel from ak builder, going full 21" length. I do kinda want to build a 16" underfolder now though, lol
Edited: 12 days ago
1/12/10
ActiveMeasures -
Sogsteel -
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -

First head space the barrel to the front trunnion then drill the hole for the barrel pin. Populate the barrel with the rear sight block, handguard retainer, gas block and front sight. Drill and pin them. 

Push the barrel out of the trunnion and then assemble the receiver. Front trunnion, rear trunnion, trigger guard all have to be riveted onto the receiver. After that, push the barrel back in, double check headspace then pin it. 

Some people do the receiver first then headspace the barrel when it's in the receiver, which I would do if I had the correct tools. But for me it's easier to headspace first. 

Didn’t understand most of that, but it did send me in the right direction on YT to learn! 

Looks awesome, gonna turn out beautiful. 

12 days ago
12/29/03
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 - 
ActiveMeasures -
Sogsteel -
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -

Didn’t understand most of that, but it did send me in the right direction on YT to learn! 

Bring yourself and your kid over one of these days.
12 days ago
6/30/07
ActiveMeasures -

That looks brand new

11 days ago
1/12/10
ActiveMeasures -
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 - 
ActiveMeasures -
Sogsteel -
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -

Bring yourself and your kid over one of these days.

I’ll definitely take you up on that. 

11 days ago
6/30/07

Been going down the rabbit hole on building. Looks like about a grand to get set up. I have a drill press (shopsmith) but not a hydraulic press. Don't have a welder and barely know how to use one.

I'm not ready to commit to that and MrsMedic would be bummed, I have other projects and don't need a new hobby to suck time and money right now. Not ruling it out in the future but not right now.

Looks really fun and also looks like I'd ruin my first couple builds, lol. That's how I roll, think 1000 times/still end up cutting twice.

I know what I want for my next one, maybe Ill have someone, *cough cough*, put a barreled receiver together.

How much of a hassle is it to cut down a barrel to 14" or so and pin/weld a break to bring it back to a "no questions asked" legal 16"?

Also, ever mess around with a boogie hook?

Edited: 11 days ago
6/30/07

What do you think about this barrel?

https://www.jmac-customs.com/14-5-7-62x39mm-barrel/

https://www.jmac-customs.com/14-5-7-62x39mm-barrel/

11 days ago
12/29/03
JMAC, AK Builder, and Green Mountain are good to go as far as barrels go.
11 days ago
12/29/03
Mountain Medic - 

Been going down the rabbit hole on building. Looks like about a grand to get set up. I have a drill press (shopsmith) but not a hydraulic press. Don't have a welder and barely know how to use one.

I'm not ready to commit to that and MrsMedic would be bummed, I have other projects and don't need a new hobby to suck time and money right now. Not ruling it out in the future but not right now.

Looks really fun and also looks like I'd ruin my first couple builds, lol. That's how I roll, think 1000 times/still end up cutting twice.

I know what I want for my next one, maybe Ill have someone, *cough cough*, put a barreled receiver together.

How much of a hassle is it to cut down a barrel to 14" or so and pin/weld a break to bring it back to a "no questions asked" legal 16"?

You can get a bare bones setup for about $500 that has pretty much everything you need for basic work. You don't need a welder or need to know how to weld to do this stuff unless you majorly fuck something up.

I wouldn't cut down a barrel myself, because then you have the issue of threading it, crowning, and so on, so you're better off buying a 14.5. Ive also never pinned and welded a muzzle device.

As far as your uhhh, barreled receiver situation, I think I can help.

I am considering getting a boogie hook/Binary trigger for this RPK build. Just seems like it would be kinda cool to blow loads of ammo.
11 days ago
6/30/07
ActiveMeasures -
Mountain Medic - 

You can get a bare bones setup for about $500 that has pretty much everything you need for basic work. You don't need a welder or need to know how to weld to do this stuff unless you majorly fuck something up.

I wouldn't cut down a barrel myself, because then you have the issue of threading it, crowning, and so on, so you're better off buying a 14.5. Ive also never pinned and welded a muzzle device.

As far as your uhhh, barreled receiver situation, I think I can help.

I am considering getting a boogie hook/Binary trigger for this RPK build. Just seems like it would be kinda cool to blow loads of ammo.

I figured you would know a guy. 

I'll be REAL curious about your thoughts on the boogie hook after you install and run one. So get off the internet and get back to work!

11 days ago
6/30/07

So after what you said about not worrying about welding (which is a major hurdle because I've known some legit welders) I pressed on (see what I did there?) and started looking at what it takes to build a lower ak.

When you said "fold one up" I had no idea.

Goddam, this literally IS making a gun! Really cool and interesting.

So, setting aside my questions about, ummm, everything else..... This guy said something about "at this point it becomes a receiver, according to the ATF". But it was literally just a piece of metal bent a couple of times. There was no boom possible. It was bent metal.

So, when does it actually become a "gun"?

When does it become something that you can't just mail or give away to the less fortunate?

11 days ago
6/13/03
Mountain Medic -

So after what you said about not worrying about welding (which is a major hurdle because I've known some legit welders) I pressed on (see what I did there?) and started looking at what it takes to build a lower ak.

When you said "fold one up" I had no idea.

Goddam, this literally IS making a gun! Really cool and interesting.

So, setting aside my questions about, ummm, everything else..... This guy said something about "at this point it becomes a receiver, according to the ATF". But it was literally just a piece of metal bent a couple of times. There was no boom possible. It was bent metal.

So, when does it actually become a "gun"?

When does it become something that you can't just mail or give away to the less fortunate?

With flats shown in the video it becomes a firearm literally when you bend it.

There are some 80% recievers that become a firearm once you drill a few holes.

10 days ago
12/29/03

Like sog said, if the flats have the trigger and hammer pin holes, it becomes a firearm as soon as its bent. I don't do my own flats, the jig is really expensive, then you need a spot welder to weld in the lower rails which include the mag guide and extractor. I buy completed or 80% receivers from Childers and recreator. 

10 days ago
6/30/07

^appreciate the simple answer guys^

So....... Explain head spacing to me like the newb that I am. Does this occur during attached to receiver or is it a seperate event? By that I mean can you just buy a barrel already set up to just "drop in"?

Edited: 10 days ago
6/30/07
ActiveMeasures -

Like sog said, if the flats have the trigger and hammer pin holes, it becomes a firearm as soon as its bent. I don't do my own flats, the jig is really expensive, then you need a spot welder to weld in the lower rails which include the mag guide and extractor. I buy completed or 80% receivers from Childers and recreator. 

Do you use a jig for drilling or just freest1le it?

10 days ago
6/13/03
Mountain Medic -

^appreciate the simple answer guys^

So....... Explain head spacing to me like the newb that I am. Does this occur during attached to receiver or is it a seperate event? By that I mean can you just buy a barrel already set up to just "drop in"?

Headspacing is separate. Its done with the barrel, front trunnion, and bolt. Its the location of the barrel from the locking lugs with the bolt. 

You cant just drop a barrel in. It needs to be sized to the trunnion, headspaced, and have the trunnion hole drilled

10 days ago
12/29/03
Mountain Medic - 
ActiveMeasures -

If i start making these for money Ill be getting a jig. For now ive only really bought completed receivers, I attempted to drill the FCG on my Yugo build and I used a layout guide from childers. I made a mistake of not confirming the positions, so the holes were all off by about 1mm, so I had to get them welded and drilled again with correct measurements.
10 days ago
6/13/03
Mountain Medic -
ActiveMeasures -

There are so many different ways. I have jigs for drilling and even just small pliers modified to mark holes. I havd everything to build from a flat except the spot welder since mine took a crap.

I would be open to let you borrow some stuff if you wanted to use it for a bit, just cover shipping. Shoot me a PM. Having your own press is essential.