OtherGround Forums Going to start building AKs...

4/22/20 5:04 PM
12/29/03

Just dropped almost $1000 on tools to build AKs. Rivet tools, press, jigs, so on so forth. I need two more things (drill press milling vise, trigger guard jig) to start building efficiently.

I have built a few AKs in the past from parts kits, but I was working at a shop under direct supervision and a bunch of tools that I don't have access to now. CNC Machines, drilling jigs, so on so forth. 

I am going to build 2-3 kits to get the process down, then I might make kits for sale. Even considering getting a home based FFL since they're legal here. 

Looking at building a polish underfolder, Russian fixed stock, and an AMD64. 

If you guys want one built in the future let me know, and start looking for parts kits. 

4/22/20 5:06 PM
12/29/03

The shop. 

Edited: 4/22/20 5:08 PM
12/29/03
The press, river, barrel population tools. 
4/22/20 5:09 PM
1/1/01

Nice, keep us updated

4/22/20 5:10 PM
11/15/07

Cool, that is a pretty involved undertaking. My go to for kit builds and custom work is Two Rivers Arms in Oklahoma. I was fortunate enough to live not too far from their shop before moving a year ago to San Antonio.

Kits aren't getting any cheaper, wish I would have picked up a couple of Russians back in the day. 

Are you going to do finishing too, or source that out? What state are you in?

4/22/20 5:19 PM
12/29/03
TFK_Mas Tisu -

Cool, that is a pretty involved undertaking. My go to for kit builds and custom work is Two Rivers Arms in Oklahoma. I was fortunate enough to live not too far from their shop before moving a year ago to San Antonio.

Kits aren't getting any cheaper, wish I would have picked up a couple of Russians back in the day. 

Are you going to do finishing too, or source that out? What state are you in?

Finishing is the biggest issue. I used to do bluing and parkerizing, but the owner had a dedicated bay to all that shit. I don't know how I will be able to do it in my garage. The fumes are atrocious.

For "modern" builds I can easily do duracoat/ceracoat... But for bluing/parking I'm not sure how to go about it efficiently or effectively. 

Yeah I really regret not buying kits years ago. Could have bought krink kits for 500 and PSL kits for 300.

I'm in Georgia, near Atlanta. 

4/22/20 5:21 PM
1/1/01
In! I have a Romanian G built by Lancaster which has long since gone under but the AK is awesome and I love it!

Polish under-folder would be nice!
4/22/20 5:28 PM
12/29/03
JitsuGuy - In! I have a Romanian G built by Lancaster which has long since gone under but the AK is awesome and I love it!

Polish under-folder would be nice!

Rommy G is on my list of builds I want to do, right below an Egyptian Maadi

4/22/20 5:36 PM
1/1/01
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - 

Just dropped almost $1000 on tools to build AKs. Rivet tools, press, jigs, so on so forth. I need two more things (drill press milling vise, trigger guard jig) to start building efficiently.

I have built a few AKs in the past from parts kits, but I was working at a shop under direct supervision and a bunch of tools that I don't have access to now. CNC Machines, drilling jigs, so on so forth. 

I am going to build 2-3 kits to get the process down, then I might make kits for sale. Even considering getting a home based FFL since they're legal here. 

If you guys want one built in the future let me know, and start looking for parts kits. 

Please make sure to get some kind of FFL before selling to anyone.

I hear Federal prison is no fun...
4/22/20 5:46 PM
12/29/03
billyball2 -
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - 

I wouldn't be selling them technically since the receiver would be purchased by the owner, not me. I would just be doing assembly.

That being said FFL is a great idea. 

4/22/20 5:50 PM
1/13/14
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -
billyball2 -
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - 

I wouldn't be selling them technically since the receiver would be purchased by the owner, not me. I would just be doing assembly.

That being said FFL is a great idea. 

They arent that much. And well worth the trouble

4/22/20 5:54 PM
11/15/04
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -

I’ll take a Century Arms C39 clone in gun metal grey, please and thanks in advance. 

4/22/20 6:03 PM
1/1/01

Dude, there's tons of parkerizing kits available out there.

You aren't going to be doing too much.

There's some black oxide kits where you can do it on small scale at room temperature.

I have info I'd be able to send you if I wasn't working at home.

4/22/20 6:05 PM
12/29/03
PatK -

Dude, there's tons of parkerizing kits available out there.

You aren't going to be doing too much.

There's some black oxide kits where you can do it on small scale at room temperature.

I have info I'd be able to send you if I wasn't working at home.

Yeah that'd be great. I'm not against doing it, just don't know enough about it to know whether I can or can't.

4/22/20 6:09 PM
9/13/02

in. very interested.

4/22/20 6:12 PM
6/13/03

I have a bunch of kits and have built a few in the past. If you have any questions I might be able to help

4/22/20 6:15 PM
1/12/10

That looks awesome. One of my friends is a Russian gun nut and has built several AKs and has a Dragunov, I think. 

4/22/20 6:15 PM
2/15/03

How much are you going to charge for one?

4/22/20 6:17 PM
6/13/03

Also if you dont have Nicoroshis two E books from amazon you are missing out. He was the man when it came to home building

4/22/20 6:18 PM
12/29/03
Sogsteel -

I have a bunch of kits and have built a few in the past. If you have any questions I might be able to help

Great to know! I've been addicted to Akfiles last few weeks. Ginsboy on YouTube has been a great resource as well. 

4/22/20 6:19 PM
4/3/08

20 years ago you could buy an AK for $300. Then they started enforcing the ban on the importation of non-sporting barrels with parts kits. 

4/22/20 6:20 PM
12/29/03
JennyCraig -

How much are you going to charge for one?

No fuckin clue, man. Want to make sure i can deliver first so I need to make a few kits for myself first. 

4/22/20 6:20 PM
2/17/11

4/22/20 6:21 PM
2/17/11

Definately do your research on the work you will be doing, because there is a good chance you'll need an FFL and there are lots of regulations regarding bound books and sending non-marking variances and etc. to the ATF.

4/22/20 6:26 PM
12/29/03
Aiderbooze -

Definately do your research on the work you will be doing, because there is a good chance you'll need an FFL and there are lots of regulations regarding bound books and sending non-marking variances and etc. to the ATF.

Yep. Will need an 01 and 77 FFL if I want to actually make money, which really is not my intention at this point.