OtherGround Forums Going to start building AKs...

4/22/20 6:43 PM
6/13/03

If you are starting off by doing services I would look at studd like barrel populations that dont involve the reciever. No FFL needed for that stuff

4/22/20 6:48 PM
2/9/12
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -

Just dropped almost $1000 on tools to build AKs. Rivet tools, press, jigs, so on so forth. I need two more things (drill press milling vise, trigger guard jig) to start building efficiently.

I have built a few AKs in the past from parts kits, but I was working at a shop under direct supervision and a bunch of tools that I don't have access to now. CNC Machines, drilling jigs, so on so forth. 

I am going to build 2-3 kits to get the process down, then I might make kits for sale. Even considering getting a home based FFL since they're legal here. 

Looking at building a polish underfolder, Russian fixed stock, and an AMD64. 

If you guys want one built in the future let me know, and start looking for parts kits. 

Sounds awesome. I’d be very interested in purchasing one if the price was reasonable. 

4/22/20 6:51 PM
6/13/03

If you get some quality work done I have a virgin kit I could possiblt send your way if you are interested in the task of drilling it all out and putting all the small stuff together for the experience

4/22/20 6:55 PM
12/29/03
Sogsteel -

If you get some quality work done I have a virgin kit I could possiblt send your way if you are interested in the task of drilling it all out and putting all the small stuff together for the experience

That sounds awesome!

If things go well I will endup ordering a flat bending die so I can just buy the flats. I figured if I'm going to give this a shot, I should do it right. So I got tools from AK Builder and Robert Forbus. Also ordered some end mills, jobber drills, and other crap to use on my drill press.

Trying to decide now what the first kit I should get is. 

Edited: 4/22/20 6:59 PM
6/13/03

I highly reccomend Arms of America for kits currently. 

I have collected kits from all kinds of countries so again if you have any questions again dont hesitate to ask.

4/22/20 7:03 PM
6/27/02

Let us know when they’re for sale man! 

Edited: 4/22/20 7:15 PM
6/13/03

I didnt realize AOA was so low on kits

WAC isnt all that well known and still has some good options

https://whatacountry.com/parts-kits.aspx

I would take an AMMS or MD90 kit from there

4/22/20 7:16 PM
11/1/19

4/22/20 7:17 PM
11/1/19

4/22/20 7:19 PM
11/1/19

Wife’s new toy.. Century c39v2

4/22/20 8:00 PM
10/20/10

Nice

4/22/20 10:10 PM
1/1/01
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -

Just dropped almost $1000 on tools to build AKs. Rivet tools, press, jigs, so on so forth. I need two more things (drill press milling vise, trigger guard jig) to start building efficiently.

I have built a few AKs in the past from parts kits, but I was working at a shop under direct supervision and a bunch of tools that I don't have access to now. CNC Machines, drilling jigs, so on so forth. 

I am going to build 2-3 kits to get the process down, then I might make kits for sale. Even considering getting a home based FFL since they're legal here. 

If you guys want one built in the future let me know, and start looking for parts kits. 

Jamie Cruz (renzo bb) used to be a member here. He used to build AKs all the time from flat pieces of sheet metal that he bent into recievers.

He posted here a bunch of his builds. I dont recall him dropping cash on specialty tools

4/22/20 10:25 PM
11/15/04
JThomasufc91 -

Wife’s new toy.. Century c39v2

I posted on page one that I want one! Been eyeing them up for a year 

4/22/20 11:35 PM
11/12/07

I want to do something similar but for HK pattern rifles. If there was more time in the day.... 

4/22/20 11:45 PM
12/29/03
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -

Jamie Cruz (renzo bb) used to be a member here. He used to build AKs all the time from flat pieces of sheet metal that he bent into recievers.

He posted here a bunch of his builds. I dont recall him dropping cash on specialty tools

Yeah I definitely could have spent the time to make my own tools, but I don't have access to a welder, or anything else needed to make tools.

Figured I'd drop the coin and get the correct stuff so I don't have to play any fuck fuck games.

From Forbus, I got a barrel population tool, depopulation tool, and ram head with barrel pin pusher. 

From AK builder I got his riveting jig and a few bits.

Need to get a trigger guard riveting jig and a few other odds and ends. 

4/22/20 11:51 PM
6/13/03

I have used a few different methods. The AK builder jig makes the most square bends. Worth the money to not fuck around with other stuff

4/23/20 12:01 AM
1/20/08
Mr. Wright -

in. very interested.

This

4/23/20 9:16 AM
12/29/03
Sogsteel - 

I have used a few different methods. The AK builder jig makes the most square bends. Worth the money to not fuck around with other stuff

Yep, I didnt want to use an air rivet gun or the bolt cutter route. Figured i'd take as many variables out of the equation as possible.

Super excited about all this. Just realized I have a flat of some sort with a rivet set.
Edited: 4/23/20 1:58 PM
6/13/03
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -
Sogsteel - 

Yep, I didnt want to use an air rivet gun or the bolt cutter route. Figured i'd take as many variables out of the equation as possible.

Super excited about all this. Just realized I have a flat of some sort with a rivet set.

I like the bolt cutters for everything besides the long rivet. If you are looking to do it professionally an air rivet gun is the way to go. If i had a compressor I would get one. I have the AKMachinist version of the same jig you got from AK builder. The Rforbus stuff is awesome and he is a great guy. His barrel pressing tool is a must have IMO.

I would get the ak builder trigger guard jig and possibly their reciever drilling jig. There is a guy on AKfiles thar pops up with custom needle nose pliars modified to mark trunnion hole loctations. Those work well

Here are some other good AK gunsmithing resources that are worth a look

AK, Armorer DVD and Workbook

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Vol-Headspacing-ebook/dp/B00FLNH3WY&ved=2ahUKEwi_ifukjv_oAhVUrZ4KHZPMAjAQFjAAegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw1TcCzDhjiGRiqtCmh8RUB_

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-AK-Building/dp/193981233X&ved=2ahUKEwi_ifukjv_oAhVUrZ4KHZPMAjAQFjABegQIBBAJ&usg=AOvVaw1ROK6xLNmKKuQdlbXVR7LF&cshid=1587664551795

4/23/20 2:23 PM
12/29/03
Awesome!

Thanks so much man.

For the first few builds I think I will get completed receivers and not mess with drilling FCG and doing rails and such.

For the trunnion holes in the front I will probably use the postit note method that Ginsboy (youtube) uses. At the shop I worked at, the owner used a scribe type tool similar I assume similar to what the guy sells on AK files. One end would fit the trunion hole perfectly inside the receiver, and would mark the outside for drill location.
4/23/20 2:36 PM
12/29/03
Is this the forbus tool youre talking about?

https://robertforbus.com/ak-barrel-assembly-tools/barrel-push-back-tool/
4/23/20 3:06 PM
6/13/03
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - Is this the forbus tool youre talking about?

https://robertforbus.com/ak-barrel-assembly-tools/barrel-push-back-tool/

Yup thats the one

The scribe tool sounds similar. The one I am talking about fits in the trunnion hole and the other side has a "U" shaped cutout weldes to the end so you can poke a sharpie or similar between it.

4/23/20 3:53 PM
7/27/04

In

4/23/20 3:57 PM
6/13/03

If you are going for traditional builds I would pick up one of those Hungarian kits from WAC. The Hungarian stuff is nice and doesnt show up as much as the Polish/Romanian kits. I have one myself and got one for my stepdad.

4/23/20 4:00 PM
1/1/01

Freaking awesome