OtherGround Forums Going to start building AKs...

Edited: 4/23/20 5:42 PM
12/29/03
Sogsteel -

If you are going for traditional builds I would pick up one of those Hungarian kits from WAC. The Hungarian stuff is nice and doesnt show up as much as the Polish/Romanian kits. I have one myself and got one for my stepdad.

Yeah I've got the AMD65 at the top of my list. Just saw that have an underfolder akms... That's lookin nice... The yugo rpk on page 2 looks great too.

I think the first few builds I do will be pretty traditional, but then I want to build a few tacticool, escape from Tarkov builds. 

4/23/20 6:43 PM
6/13/03

I sold one of those yugo rpk kits a couple months ago. I shy away from the Yugo stuff for the most part.

4/23/20 7:51 PM
11/1/19
LiveWire -
JThomasufc91 -

Wife’s new toy.. Century c39v2

I posted on page one that I want one! Been eyeing them up for a year 

That's why I posted it. The app won't let me quote a post and post a pic. I don't generally care for AKs. But the c39 is a bad motherfucker. Durable af. American made. So there's that.

4/23/20 8:10 PM
1/1/01
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -

Just dropped almost $1000 on tools to build AKs. Rivet tools, press, jigs, so on so forth. I need two more things (drill press milling vise, trigger guard jig) to start building efficiently.

I have built a few AKs in the past from parts kits, but I was working at a shop under direct supervision and a bunch of tools that I don't have access to now. CNC Machines, drilling jigs, so on so forth. 

I am going to build 2-3 kits to get the process down, then I might make kits for sale. Even considering getting a home based FFL since they're legal here. 

Looking at building a polish underfolder, Russian fixed stock, and an AMD64. 

If you guys want one built in the future let me know, and start looking for parts kits. 

Jamie Cruz (renzo bb) used to be a member here. He used to build AKs all the time from flat pieces of sheet metal that he bent into recievers.

He posted here a bunch of his builds. I dont recall him dropping cash on specialty tools

Yeah I definitely could have spent the time to make my own tools, but I don't have access to a welder, or anything else needed to make tools.

Figured I'd drop the coin and get the correct stuff so I don't have to play any fuck fuck games.

From Forbus, I got a barrel population tool, depopulation tool, and ram head with barrel pin pusher. 

From AK builder I got his riveting jig and a few bits.

Need to get a trigger guard riveting jig and a few other odds and ends. 

population tool?

maybe i'm thinging of something else.

i think of population as installing a gas block, rear sight base, etc

4/23/20 8:18 PM
6/30/07

Looking forward to the Polish

*Beep!*

4/23/20 8:23 PM
6/27/12

IN-terested

4/23/20 8:33 PM
7/2/07
Hell Yea

Now this is the Serge I remember.

Mosin, Romanian AKs, Russian Dragunovs,

All those were the days when all we wanted was a better version of a Mosin Nagant and only dreamed of owning CZs.

4/23/20 8:46 PM
8/11/12

How much do you want for two AK’s? 

4/23/20 8:51 PM
12/1/10
add my buddy on ig he builds some also.

https://meridiandefensecorp.com/

https://www.instagram.com/meridian_defense/?hl=en

4/23/20 9:57 PM
6/13/03
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -

Just dropped almost $1000 on tools to build AKs. Rivet tools, press, jigs, so on so forth. I need two more things (drill press milling vise, trigger guard jig) to start building efficiently.

I have built a few AKs in the past from parts kits, but I was working at a shop under direct supervision and a bunch of tools that I don't have access to now. CNC Machines, drilling jigs, so on so forth. 

I am going to build 2-3 kits to get the process down, then I might make kits for sale. Even considering getting a home based FFL since they're legal here. 

If you guys want one built in the future let me know, and start looking for parts kits. 

Jamie Cruz (renzo bb) used to be a member here. He used to build AKs all the time from flat pieces of sheet metal that he bent into recievers.

He posted here a bunch of his builds. I dont recall him dropping cash on specialty tools

Yeah I definitely could have spent the time to make my own tools, but I don't have access to a welder, or anything else needed to make tools.

Figured I'd drop the coin and get the correct stuff so I don't have to play any fuck fuck games.

From Forbus, I got a barrel population tool, depopulation tool, and ram head with barrel pin pusher. 

population tool?

Thats correct. Its a press jig for pressing on the FSB, RSB, and GB.

4/23/20 10:03 PM
8/20/03
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - 

What is the cost to build one?

4/23/20 11:10 PM
12/29/03
williepep - Hell Yea

Now this is the Serge I remember.

Mosin, Romanian AKs, Russian Dragunovs,

All those were the days when all we wanted was a better version of a Mosin Nagant and only dreamed of owning CZs.

Simpler times, my friend! 

4/23/20 11:12 PM
12/29/03
Captain Canuck -
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - 

I have no clue yet.

Parts kits range from 350-2000 depending on the kit, receivers are anywhere from 50-500 again depending on various factors. Plus barrels and time and so on. I'm estimating, not counting tools, my first build will cost me around $600 with all parts. 

Shops charge anywhere from 500-1500 labor for a basic kit build. 

4/23/20 11:13 PM
12/29/03
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -

population tool?

Correct. It's basically a steel tube with an inner diameter slightly bigger than the barrel to press those parts on. 

4/23/20 11:14 PM
8/20/03
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - 
Captain Canuck -
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - 

I have no clue yet.

Parts kits range from 350-2000 depending on the kit, receivers are anywhere from 50-500 again depending on various factors. Plus barrels and time and so on. I'm estimating, not counting tools, my first build will cost me around $600 with all parts. 

Shops charge anywhere from 500-1500 labor for a basic kit build. 

Cool. Thanks for the info.

4/24/20 4:21 PM
12/29/03
Just a heads up for everyone.

I have received a few PMs from people interested in buying AKs. I just want to be clear, I will NOT be ready to do anything until the end of the year at best. There's a lot I need to learn and figure out before I feel comfortable doing any builds for other people.

There is also the question if I need an FFL to build kits for other people, assuming you purchase the kit and receiver and send it to me (with an ffl transfer).

If you really want an AK NOW, buy a Kalashnikov USA or something like a Krebs or Rifle Dynamics.
4/24/20 4:48 PM
7/4/09

In, very cool op

4/24/20 4:55 PM
1/1/01
Sogsteel -
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -

population tool?

Thats correct. Its a press jig for pressing on the FSB, RSB, and GB.

thanks

4/25/20 10:06 AM
11/15/07
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - Just a heads up for everyone.

I have received a few PMs from people interested in buying AKs. I just want to be clear, I will NOT be ready to do anything until the end of the year at best. There's a lot I need to learn and figure out before I feel comfortable doing any builds for other people.

There is also the question if I need an FFL to build kits for other people, assuming you purchase the kit and receiver and send it to me (with an ffl transfer).

If you really want an AK NOW, buy a Kalashnikov USA or something like a Krebs or Rifle Dynamics.

I think you are timing things right, the way the market is now. It's great to see a resurging interest in AKs (dwindling supply of kits and import bans help certain things market wise, lol). PSA was essentially forced to come up with improved stuff, and their GF3 and highly anticipated GF4 (with an FN chf barrel) are filling a void for economical options, and the feature-laden AK E is proving worth its slightly higher price as well. WBP, WASR10, Cugir RH10, etc. are all good readily available import options that won't break the bank (though who would of ever thought a WASR would near 800 bucks, lol). 

That said, business for builders is generally good. I think kit collectors are seeing a market themselves for reselling their builds. If you picked up a Tula kit back in the day for a 300 bucks, had it built for 700 bucks, and turned it for 1500 bucks, that is a pretty good roi.

4/25/20 11:06 AM
11/19/05

Will you fix my arsenal Ak? I actually bought it because your old threads. Now ita broke and i blame you for it. Lol

4/25/20 11:51 AM
12/29/03
Fighting -

Will you fix my arsenal Ak? I actually bought it because your old threads. Now ita broke and i blame you for it. Lol

What's wrong with it? 

4/25/20 1:49 PM
12/6/07

I'm an FFL, I have a type 07. When I had my meeting with the ATF investigator he explained to me that if I assemble any part of a firearm (even though in a rifle, the receiver is the only part considered a firearm) if I put a muzzle brake on someone else's rifle technically I would be considered a gunsmith. Not threading the barrel just attaching the brake. Anything you do for someone else will need a license.

When I had my hearing with the city another fellow was wanting to build and sell barrels. He needed an FFL

It is fairly inexpensive to create a home based FFL. It is a "shall issue" which means as long as you can pass a background check, you've submitted the proper paperwork, the sheriff approves (or doesn't disapprove) and the city signs off, they will have to issue it.

The type 07 covers gunsmithing, sales, manufacturing, assembly. Type 01 covers gunsmithing and is more expensive.

You will need a business license, a tax ID and sellers permit from the state. You will need your city or counties approval in writing. You will need fingerprints x2 1 set for the Sheriff and one for the FBI. You will submit your application to the ATF and the Sheriff and then they have 60 days to issue. In that time after the submission you will be contacted by mail for any discrepancy and then you will have a 3 or so hour meeting with an investigator at your residence. He will then give you a shit load of paperwork, answer any questions and explain a lot of stuff.

You will have certain requirements you'll have to meet as far as storage and safe keeping of documents.

There is a lot to the laws and it is a big book of regulations. Not all pertaining to what you may be doing.

I've managed to amass 20+ vendors from firearms, cutlery, parts, ammo, gear, hunting packs and accessories.

Some of it is a pain in the ass but it's all doable if you want to do it.

If you need help or have questions feel free to PM or you can call or text me.

I do have a website, but with the way some folks have been on here I am hesitant to post. I will send it to you though if you want to check it out.
4/25/20 1:51 PM
7/2/07

I feel like I could be watching the launch of the next (darn I forgot his name and his companies name).

Will remember shortly.

Fellow OGer like to make Shotgun modifications
4/25/20 2:04 PM
6/13/03
TFK_Mas Tisu -

I think you are timing things right, the way the market is now. It's great to see a resurging interest in AKs (dwindling supply of kits and import bans help certain things market wise, lol). PSA was essentially forced to come up with improved stuff, and their GF3 and highly anticipated GF4 (with an FN chf barrel) are filling a void for economical options, and the feature-laden AK E is proving worth its slightly higher price as well. WBP, WASR10, Cugir RH10, etc. are all good readily available import options that won't break the bank (though who would of ever thought a WASR would near 800 bucks, lol). 

That said, business for builders is generally good. I think kit collectors are seeing a market themselves for reselling their builds. If you picked up a Tula kit back in the day for a 300 bucks, had it built for 700 bucks, and turned it for 1500 bucks, that is a pretty good roi.

You dont even need to have them built out. My Russian and E. German kits are worth a small fortune compared to what I paid for them.

4/25/20 2:30 PM
12/29/03
Archangel -

I'm an FFL, I have a type 07. When I had my meeting with the ATF investigator he explained to me that if I assemble any part of a firearm (even though in a rifle, the receiver is the only part considered a firearm) if I put a muzzle brake on someone else's rifle technically I would be considered a gunsmith. Not threading the barrel just attaching the brake. Anything you do for someone else will need a license.

When I had my hearing with the city another fellow was wanting to build and sell barrels. He needed an FFL

It is fairly inexpensive to create a home based FFL. It is a "shall issue" which means as long as you can pass a background check, you've submitted the proper paperwork, the sheriff approves (or doesn't disapprove) and the city signs off, they will have to issue it.

The type 07 covers gunsmithing, sales, manufacturing, assembly. Type 01 covers gunsmithing and is more expensive.

You will need a business license, a tax ID and sellers permit from the state. You will need your city or counties approval in writing. You will need fingerprints x2 1 set for the Sheriff and one for the FBI. You will submit your application to the ATF and the Sheriff and then they have 60 days to issue. In that time after the submission you will be contacted by mail for any discrepancy and then you will have a 3 or so hour meeting with an investigator at your residence. He will then give you a shit load of paperwork, answer any questions and explain a lot of stuff.

You will have certain requirements you'll have to meet as far as storage and safe keeping of documents.

There is a lot to the laws and it is a big book of regulations. Not all pertaining to what you may be doing.

I've managed to amass 20+ vendors from firearms, cutlery, parts, ammo, gear, hunting packs and accessories.

Some of it is a pain in the ass but it's all doable if you want to do it.

If you need help or have questions feel free to PM or you can call or text me.

I do have a website, but with the way some folks have been on here I am hesitant to post. I will send it to you though if you want to check it out.

Dude this is amazing information. Saved me a ton of time. I'm going to discuss this with the wife as a possible thing to do. And please send me your site.