OtherGround Forums Going to start building AKs...

4/25/20 2:38 PM
10/18/14

4/25/20 2:46 PM
12/29/03
Sogsteel -
TFK_Mas Tisu -
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - Just a heads up for everyone.

I have received a few PMs from people interested in buying AKs. I just want to be clear, I will NOT be ready to do anything until the end of the year at best. There's a lot I need to learn and figure out before I feel comfortable doing any builds for other people.

There is also the question if I need an FFL to build kits for other people, assuming you purchase the kit and receiver and send it to me (with an ffl transfer).

If you really want an AK NOW, buy a Kalashnikov USA or something like a Krebs or Rifle Dynamics.

I think you are timing things right, the way the market is now. It's great to see a resurging interest in AKs (dwindling supply of kits and import bans help certain things market wise, lol). PSA was essentially forced to come up with improved stuff, and their GF3 and highly anticipated GF4 (with an FN chf barrel) are filling a void for economical options, and the feature-laden AK E is proving worth its slightly higher price as well. WBP, WASR10, Cugir RH10, etc. are all good readily available import options that won't break the bank (though who would of ever thought a WASR would near 800 bucks, lol). 

That said, business for builders is generally good. I think kit collectors are seeing a market themselves for reselling their builds. If you picked up a Tula kit back in the day for a 300 bucks, had it built for 700 bucks, and turned it for 1500 bucks, that is a pretty good roi.

You dont even need to have them built out. My Russian and E. German kits are worth a small fortune compared to what I paid for them.

Russian kits are pretty easy to find... But east German? I would love one. Going to put it on my list. 

4/25/20 3:01 PM
12/29/03
williepep -

I have received a few PMs from people interested in buying AKs. I just want to be clear, I will NOT be ready to do anything until the end of the year at best. There's a lot I need to learn and figure out before I feel comfortable doing any builds for other people.

There is also the question if I need an FFL to build kits for other people, assuming you purchase the kit and receiver and send it to me (with an ffl transfer).

If you really want an AK NOW, buy a Kalashnikov USA or something like a Krebs or Rifle Dynamics.

I feel like I could be watching the launch of the next (darn I forgot his name and his companies name).

Will remember shortly.

Fellow OGer like to make Shotgun modifications

Tromix/Bob Ash

4/25/20 3:12 PM
6/13/03
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -
Sogsteel -
TFK_Mas Tisu -

I think you are timing things right, the way the market is now. It's great to see a resurging interest in AKs (dwindling supply of kits and import bans help certain things market wise, lol). PSA was essentially forced to come up with improved stuff, and their GF3 and highly anticipated GF4 (with an FN chf barrel) are filling a void for economical options, and the feature-laden AK E is proving worth its slightly higher price as well. WBP, WASR10, Cugir RH10, etc. are all good readily available import options that won't break the bank (though who would of ever thought a WASR would near 800 bucks, lol). 

That said, business for builders is generally good. I think kit collectors are seeing a market themselves for reselling their builds. If you picked up a Tula kit back in the day for a 300 bucks, had it built for 700 bucks, and turned it for 1500 bucks, that is a pretty good roi.

You dont even need to have them built out. My Russian and E. German kits are worth a small fortune compared to what I paid for them.

Russian kits are pretty easy to find... But east German? I would love one. Going to put it on my list. 

I have a couple Tula Krink kits with Bluejack v5 barrels. I could likely get 4x what I paid for those. I was a huge E german collector. I have a rewelded T3, a couple built matching kits by two rivers arms (70s and 80s type) and a rare 74 kit, all with german barrels. I sold a bunch of my collection for the down payment on my first house. Collecting and kits has been a hobby of mine for about 10 years. The prices got so rediculous for AK's and many good sources went away, I switched over to HK stuff a couple years ago where I expect to pay a lot.

4/25/20 3:38 PM
12/29/03
Sogsteel -
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -
Sogsteel -
TFK_Mas Tisu -

I have a couple Tula Krink kits with Bluejack v5 barrels. I could likely get 4x what I paid for those. I was a huge E german collector. I have a rewelded T3, a couple built matching kits by two rivers arms (70s and 80s type) and a rare 74 kit, all with german barrels. I sold a bunch of my collection for the down payment on my first house. Collecting and kits has been a hobby of mine for about 10 years. The prices got so rediculous for AK's and many good sources went away, I switched over to HK stuff a couple years ago where I expect to pay a lot.

Damn man that's crazy. Wish I got into this way earlier. I looked into it like 6 years ago but could never afford it. 

Edited: 4/25/20 3:56 PM
6/13/03

Shoot me a PM. I can look at what extra stuff I have. Maybe we can work out a trade for some Red Team training if you are interested. Unfortunatly I sold my last spare German kit earlier this year

4/25/20 4:09 PM
12/6/07
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - 
Archangel -

I'm an FFL, I have a type 07. When I had my meeting with the ATF investigator he explained to me that if I assemble any part of a firearm (even though in a rifle, the receiver is the only part considered a firearm) if I put a muzzle brake on someone else's rifle technically I would be considered a gunsmith. Not threading the barrel just attaching the brake. Anything you do for someone else will need a license.

When I had my hearing with the city another fellow was wanting to build and sell barrels. He needed an FFL

It is fairly inexpensive to create a home based FFL. It is a "shall issue" which means as long as you can pass a background check, you've submitted the proper paperwork, the sheriff approves (or doesn't disapprove) and the city signs off, they will have to issue it.

The type 07 covers gunsmithing, sales, manufacturing, assembly. Type 01 covers gunsmithing and is more expensive.

You will need a business license, a tax ID and sellers permit from the state. You will need your city or counties approval in writing. You will need fingerprints x2 1 set for the Sheriff and one for the FBI. You will submit your application to the ATF and the Sheriff and then they have 60 days to issue. In that time after the submission you will be contacted by mail for any discrepancy and then you will have a 3 or so hour meeting with an investigator at your residence. He will then give you a shit load of paperwork, answer any questions and explain a lot of stuff.

You will have certain requirements you'll have to meet as far as storage and safe keeping of documents.

There is a lot to the laws and it is a big book of regulations. Not all pertaining to what you may be doing.

I've managed to amass 20+ vendors from firearms, cutlery, parts, ammo, gear, hunting packs and accessories.

Some of it is a pain in the ass but it's all doable if you want to do it.

If you need help or have questions feel free to PM or you can call or text me.

I do have a website, but with the way some folks have been on here I am hesitant to post. I will send it to you though if you want to check it out.

Dude this is amazing information. Saved me a ton of time. I'm going to discuss this with the wife as a possible thing to do. And please send me your site. 

Sent pm
4/26/20 1:21 AM
2/17/11
Archangel -

I'm an FFL, I have a type 07. When I had my meeting with the ATF investigator he explained to me that if I assemble any part of a firearm (even though in a rifle, the receiver is the only part considered a firearm) if I put a muzzle brake on someone else's rifle technically I would be considered a gunsmith. Not threading the barrel just attaching the brake. Anything you do for someone else will need a license.

When I had my hearing with the city another fellow was wanting to build and sell barrels. He needed an FFL

It is fairly inexpensive to create a home based FFL. It is a "shall issue" which means as long as you can pass a background check, you've submitted the proper paperwork, the sheriff approves (or doesn't disapprove) and the city signs off, they will have to issue it.

The type 07 covers gunsmithing, sales, manufacturing, assembly. Type 01 covers gunsmithing and is more expensive.

You will need a business license, a tax ID and sellers permit from the state. You will need your city or counties approval in writing. You will need fingerprints x2 1 set for the Sheriff and one for the FBI. You will submit your application to the ATF and the Sheriff and then they have 60 days to issue. In that time after the submission you will be contacted by mail for any discrepancy and then you will have a 3 or so hour meeting with an investigator at your residence. He will then give you a shit load of paperwork, answer any questions and explain a lot of stuff.

You will have certain requirements you'll have to meet as far as storage and safe keeping of documents.

There is a lot to the laws and it is a big book of regulations. Not all pertaining to what you may be doing.

I've managed to amass 20+ vendors from firearms, cutlery, parts, ammo, gear, hunting packs and accessories.

Some of it is a pain in the ass but it's all doable if you want to do it.

If you need help or have questions feel free to PM or you can call or text me.

I do have a website, but with the way some folks have been on here I am hesitant to post. I will send it to you though if you want to check it out.

Thanks for posting all this.  It was what I was trying to get at without being buzzkill.  Best of luck guys!!!

Edited: 5/2/20 1:13 PM
12/29/03

Just ordered a Hungarian Ak63D underfolder kit from what a country, should have it in 2 or so weeks. When I get it in going to order the barrel and receiver and then demil while I wait for them. 

@sog I tried to pm you but you're only accepting pms from blues and friends. 

5/2/20 1:58 PM
11/15/07

Serge, what barrel are you going with? I am eager to hear of your progress with this build...keep us posted.

5/2/20 2:25 PM
12/29/03
TFK_Mas Tisu -

Serge, what barrel are you going with? I am eager to hear of your progress with this build...keep us posted.

Probably a green mountain. Nothing crazy. Kinda want one that already has the gas hole drilled and handguard slots done. Haven't decided if I want nitride  or chrome lined. 

5/2/20 2:43 PM
12/29/03

Windham Weaponry 16in AK-47 Barrel

These look really good. Emailed them to see how long the pricing is gonna stick. 

5/2/20 3:06 PM
11/15/07

Windham is gtg, at least with their AR Shit. I have a 20" 1x7 barrel from them on my M16A2 clone that has been really accurate.

5/2/20 4:05 PM
12/29/03
TFK_Mas Tisu -

Windham is gtg, at least with their AR Shit. I have a 20" 1x7 barrel from them on my M16A2 clone that has been really accurate.

Melonite qpq or whatever they do? Sounds good to me. 

5/4/20 10:23 AM
12/29/03
Boys, I fuckin SCORED last night.

Found a very nice Romy G kit, with 5 recievers, one flat, ammo, and some other odds and ends on armslist. The guy wanted trades or 750 cash (which is a good deal honestly).

I emailed him and we chatted. Worked out a trade offer for my Plate Carrier ($75) and four Plates (about $125), and five 40mm Rounds (OC, CS, Smoke, Stinger, Baton).

I'm so fucking stoked. Two full kits to build now :)
5/4/20 11:05 AM
8/7/12

So your building kits with or without a registered receiver? Without a FFL the moment you assemble that rifle together with a unregistered receiver your looking at club fed. Unless im mistaken? 

5/4/20 12:16 PM
6/13/03
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - Boys, I fuckin SCORED last night.

Found a very nice Romy G kit, with 5 recievers, one flat, ammo, and some other odds and ends on armslist. The guy wanted trades or 750 cash (which is a good deal honestly).

I emailed him and we chatted. Worked out a trade offer for my Plate Carrier ($75) and four Plates (about $125), and five 40mm Rounds (OC, CS, Smoke, Stinger, Baton).

That is a smokin deal! Congrats

I sent you a message since you couldnt send one to me 

In regards to barrels I would make sure your trunnion is not oversized before ordering

These barrels are tits if you want CHF. One is oversized and the other is standard.

https://armsofamerica.com/oversized-polish-fb-radom-new-922r-compliant-sporter-replacement-7-62x39-chrome-cold-hammer-forged-barrel-hg-retainer-cut-and-threaded-barrel/

https://armsofamerica.com/polish-fb-radom-new-922r-compliant-sporter-replacement-7-62x39-chrome-cold-hammer-forged-barrel-features-the-hg-retainer-cut-and-threaded-barrel/

5/4/20 12:16 PM
6/13/03
baj54 -

So your building kits with or without a registered receiver? Without a FFL the moment you assemble that rifle together with a unregistered receiver your looking at club fed. Unless im mistaken? 

You are seriously mistaken. 

5/4/20 12:20 PM
12/29/03
baj54 - 

Mistaken. You can create firearms without registered recievers for personal use, but they cannot be transferred. That being said I will be using registered receivers for the most part.
5/4/20 12:50 PM
7/27/04
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - Boys, I fuckin SCORED last night.

pics?

5/4/20 12:58 PM
12/29/03

5/4/20 12:59 PM
12/29/03
Its missing the rear stock and rear trunion, not a big deal. The recievers are probably worth atleast 300ish on their own, plus the romy stuff.
5/4/20 1:01 PM
6/13/03

Oh its an original barrel kit. Even better!

5/4/20 1:08 PM
2/17/11
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -

These look really good. Emailed them to see how long the pricing is gonna stick. 

Do work for Windham.  Good stuff.

5/4/20 1:43 PM
12/29/03
Aiderbooze -
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -

Do work for Windham.  Good stuff.

Awesome! Their barrels really do look great.