OtherGround Forums Gomorra the Show. Better than Sopranos?

7/12/19 3:51 PM
9/7/11

Who here loves Gomorra and thinks it's a better mob show than the Sopranos? Also, who has been your favorite character and why? Gruesome fuckin show and from what I'm told, is as close to the real mafia as any show or movie has gotten. 

7/12/19 4:22 PM
6/30/14

on my list to watch, have not got around to it

7/12/19 4:24 PM
11/16/17

His house looked like shit.

7/12/19 4:56 PM
9/7/11
Fan of Fanboys - on my list to watch, have not got around to it

Amazing show. Cinematically beautiful, as a majority of the show is shot at night in the ghetto of Naples. This show is a kill or be killed type thing. Start it asap

7/12/19 4:58 PM
3/18/05
MoreThai22 -

Who here loves Gomorra and thinks it's a better mob show than the Sopranos? Also, who has been your favorite character and why? Gruesome fuckin show and from what I'm told, is as close to the real mafia as any show or movie has gotten. 

Malamore or gtfo. 

Its a different show than Sopranos. Sopranos is a family drama with the father being a mob boss in New Jersey. Gommorrah is all about the organized crime of Naples. Of course the latter will have more death and gun fights because in reality there's more death and gunfights in the shitty parts of Naples in a week than all year in Jersey. 

The setting in Naples and just the Italian culture is so different. All the shit with the kids gang in season 1 and 2, just the craziness and lawlessness over there makes for crazier situations. 

7/12/19 5:16 PM
7/9/10

Seen half a Sopranos episode, didn't like it.

Gomorra is AMAZING though.

Seen Suburra as well? 

7/12/19 5:19 PM
5/22/05

Sopranos is more true to life the way it blends comedy and drama.

7/12/19 5:23 PM
9/7/11
Smellde Gluve -

Seen Suburra as well? 

I liked Suburra, the ending of last season was crazy with Lele. The guy who plays Aureliano is as good as it gets in acting.

7/12/19 5:24 PM
9/7/11
chief123 -
MoreThai22 -

Malamore or gtfo. 

Its a different show than Sopranos. Sopranos is a family drama with the father being a mob boss in New Jersey. Gommorrah is all about the organized crime of Naples. Of course the latter will have more death and gun fights because in reality there's more death and gunfights in the shitty parts of Naples in a week than all year in Jersey. 

The setting in Naples and just the Italian culture is so different. All the shit with the kids gang in season 1 and 2, just the craziness and lawlessness over there makes for crazier situations. 

Malamore is great. I loved O Trak. That kid comes from the neighborhood where they shot the show and he knows the real street life. Obviously Ciro is one of my favorites too. 

7/12/19 5:25 PM
1/1/01

Short answer: no. 

7/12/19 5:37 PM
7/9/10
MoreThai22 -
Smellde Gluve -

Seen Suburra as well? 

I liked Suburra, the ending of last season was crazy with Lele. The guy who plays Aureliano is as good as it gets in acting.

Yeah I love Suburra as well and agreed on Aureliano, great actor.

Edited: 7/12/19 5:37 PM
4/13/12

this is the italian show on sky atlantic, right?

7/12/19 5:43 PM
1/2/08

Better then Sopranos? No.
Sopranos has a lot of different elements going on overall, and the quality of writing, acting, and story telling is far superior.
However if you want something dark, gritty, and relentless, then it's Gomarra.
I have not seen the recent season as I'm having a hard time getting an English sub title version.

7/12/19 5:45 PM
1/2/08

Also Gammora subtiltes differ. I saw a version that sucked over all and I deleted that season in search of the original season that had better subs.

7/12/19 6:05 PM
4/13/12
The_Pundits_Ghost -

Is it all subbed?

its an italian show.

7/12/19 6:41 PM
9/29/02

No way I can watch an entire series with sub titles.

7/12/19 7:25 PM
6/30/14
Philip Proctor - No way I can watch an entire series with sub titles.

I only watch tv with subtitles one, domestic or foreign. so no biggie for me
7/12/19 7:26 PM
6/30/14
MoreThai22 - 
Fan of Fanboys - on my list to watch, have not got around to it

Amazing show. Cinematically beautiful, as a majority of the show is shot at night in the ghetto of Naples. This show is a kill or be killed type thing. Start it asap

I just started season 2 of the wire but I'll make it the next thing I watch. just needed a push ha
7/12/19 7:32 PM
4/13/12
Fan of Fanboys -

watch in bed while your boyfriend is sleeping or something?

7/12/19 7:32 PM
10/31/13

Just did a search on Netflix and there are two Suburras.  One is all Italian and the other is English (Suburra: Blood on Rome).  Which one are you referring to.  BTW, subtitles are available for both to you mangiatori di torta.

7/12/19 7:38 PM
6/30/14
EFM - 
Fan of Fanboys -

no, I don't hear well and subtitles makes sure I don't miss anything. I rarely go to theatre partially because no subtitles. Other than live sports, which I don't listen to the announcers anyway, I don't watch anything without them on. It improves my tv and movie watching experience. And I can watch foreign films/shows with no issues too

and watching tv in the bedroom leads to obesity and poor sleep.
7/12/19 8:10 PM
4/13/12
Fan of Fanboys -
EFM - 
Fan of Fanboys -

no, I don't hear well and subtitles makes sure I don't miss anything. I rarely go to theatre partially because no subtitles. Other than live sports, which I don't listen to the announcers anyway, I don't watch anything without them on. It improves my tv and movie watching experience. And I can watch foreign films/shows with no issues too

and watching tv in the bedroom leads to obesity and poor sleep.

i use them as well sometimes.  i find i pay closer attention when i do.

7/12/19 8:47 PM
9/7/11
Haka Jawaka -

Just did a search on Netflix and there are two Suburras.  One is all Italian and the other is English (Suburra: Blood on Rome).  Which one are you referring to.  BTW, subtitles are available for both to you mangiatori di torta.

One is a movie, one is a show. Both in Italian. Blood on Rome is the show. Both are worth the watch though

7/16/19 12:08 PM
8/19/06
MoreThai22 -

I literally was about to make a Gomorra thread but decided to search to see if anyone else had. In my opinion it is just as good if not better than Sopranos/BB/ The Wire. The one thing that it has going for it that the Sopranos and BB dont is the coming of age story for the main characters son.

AJ and Walt JR are pussies. They are nothing like their fathers. Genny starts off the same way in the series but his character arc is pretty great. This is the first show I can think of where the male lead has a son who is willing and capable of taking the reigns.

all in all I loved it and am trying to figure out a way to watch the third season without buying the dvd set from England. 

7/16/19 2:28 PM
5/16/10

In