OtherGround Forums Gonna start my son on keto - TME

6 days ago
4/26/13

The ketogenic diet has been so amazing for me.  I've lost 50 lbs, but more importantly my energy and mental clarity are through the roof.  My only regret is not starting it earlier, so I've decided to start my son (3rd grade) on keto on Monday.  We've talked about the benefits and although he has questions he seems to be on board.

I've already emailed his teachers and friends' parents to let them know about our dietary wishes and please don't pressure him to have sweets.  Here is what a typical day of eating might look like:

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs

Snack: Roasted almonds and carrots

Lunch: Salad w/ italian dressing and ribeye leftover from the night before

Snack: Chicken sausages

Dinner: Salmon, steak, ribs w/ green veggie

Any other dads have advice on getting your kids in ketosis?  Thinking I should avoid exogenus ketones for now but we'll see.  

6 days ago
1/3/20
WFA!

Putting a child on Keto is beyond retarded outside of some crazy rare situation. I take it you are obese and have passed that on to your son? He needs to be active, taught to eat foods that are nutritious for his body and mind, not only foods that "taste" good.

Putting a kid on a diet is setting them up for a lifetime of weight issues because it doesn't fix the underlying issue, they don't understand how to eat and exercise properly to be able to eat like a normal human being while maintaining a healthy weight.
6 days ago
8/29/08

Enjoy losing all your muscle mass.

6 days ago
10/21/09

Lol. Let the kid eat candy for fucks sake. That's what kids do. He's going to do it anyway to fit in despite your stupid fucking diet.

6 days ago
5/16/08

Sounds like a great idea.

6 days ago
7/14/17
OblongBox -

Lol. Let the kid eat candy for fucks sake. That's what kids do. He's going to do it anyway to fit in despite your stupid fucking diet.

This. 

6 days ago
4/26/13
KaiTangata - WFA!

Putting a child on Keto is beyond retarded outside of some crazy rare situation. I take it you are obese and have passed that on to your son? He needs to be active, taught to eat foods that are nutritious for his body and mind, not only foods that "taste" good.

Putting a kid on a diet is setting them up for a lifetime of weight issues because it doesn't fix the underlying issue, they don't understand how to eat and exercise properly to be able to eat like a normal human being while maintaining a healthy weight.

the keto diet us the most sustainable diet there is becuase it focuses on whole foods and feeling full.  Plus once you feel the cognitive clarity processed foods and carbs/fruit/alcohol are not appealing anymore.  

6 days ago
1/3/20
Easters -
KaiTangata - WFA!

the keto diet us the most sustainable diet there is becuase it focuses on whole foods and feeling full.  Plus once you feel the cognitive clarity processed foods and carbs/fruit/alcohol are not appealing anymore.  

He's a kid, "diet" should not even be part of his lexicon. God's sake get your shit together and teach him if not yourself to eat healthy nutritious foods and portion control, that is 90% of peoples problems in the US.

Putting a kid on a diet is quite frankly, lazy! Poor kid, I feel terrible for him because parents that allow their kids to be overweight are abusing them. It's abuse!

Do the right thing man, we can help if needed! 

6 days ago
1/2/20
dont be a fag.
6 days ago
1/2/20
if one of my kids buddies dad emailed me talking about his kids special diet id reply back saying what a fag they are.
6 days ago
7/24/14

I wouldn't put a kid on year round keto but if you want info this YouTube channel will be better than anything the OG tells you.

https://m.youtube.com/user/TheTdelauer/videos

6 days ago
5/24/18

You’re a god damned idiot for putting a 3rd grader on that diet. Do some real research on what keto is. It’s your bodies way of not dying during starvation. You should be arrested for child abuse you moron. I hope you lose custody. 

6 days ago
5/15/15

No. That is a terrible idea. Just feed him correctly and encourage him to get involved in physical activity. Maybe when he is 21, has discovered beer and quit sports etc. Then you can suggest it.

No reason I child should be overweight in this day and age.

6 days ago
2/2/15

Lol y'all posting in a troll thread

6 days ago
10/22/14
Easters -
KaiTangata - WFA!

Tell me about bacon, sausage, Italian dressing and how those are whole foods. 

6 days ago
10/22/14
Bilge Water -

Lol y'all posting in a troll thread

I hope so lol. 

Real Paleo which is lots of veggies,a bit of fruit, seeds, small amounts of free range/wild meat (the coconut oil and bacon Paleo is horrible for you or your kid) is probably safe for a kid but not keto. 

6 days ago
10/23/05

I'm a fan of keto for adults. Don't take it the wrong way, but it's stupid for a kid unless:

-They are morbidly obese. If so, do it under supervision. And take parenting />
-They have a seizure disorder.

A kid's brain is developing. You don't deprive them of the brain's easiest mode of fuel.

Edited: 6 days ago
1/1/01

I am withdrawing my previous post as I really don't now enough about juvinile nutrition...nor do I care all that much.

6 days ago
2/8/08
DemonDeacon - 

You’re a god damned idiot for putting a 3rd grader on that diet. Do some real research on what keto is. It’s your bodies way of not dying during starvation. You should be arrested for child abuse you moron. I hope you lose custody. 

You need a snickers
6 days ago
10/22/14
pitchfork -

Sure.. but there is a strong difference between occasionally being in a state of ketosis and trying to force ketosis on a long term permanent basis. 

6 days ago
1/1/01

lol

6 days ago
1/1/01
mataleo1 -

I'm a fan of keto for adults. Don't take it the wrong way, but it's stupid for a kid unless:

-They are morbidly obese. If so, do it under supervision. And take parenting />
-They have a seizure disorder.

A kid's brain is developing. You don't deprive them of the brain's easiest mode of fuel.

This.

Unless your son has some kind of seizure disorder which does not respond to conventional medication, I would not recommend Keto for a developing body and (more importantly) brain.

6 days ago
12/17/06

This has to be a troll. But if not...

If your kid is overweight, change up his diet in a well-rounded but sensible way. Don't eliminate entire food groups for a growing child. Cut back a few hundred calories a day. Cut back on sugars. Cut back on white carbs. Get him to fall in love with drinking tons of water. Get him moving around more each and every day. Hell, do a dad/son run every afternoon. All better options.

6 days ago
7/25/10

Great news. American kids have an awful diet. Glad your taking charge. F*ck the critics!

6 days ago
11/21/19

Is your 3rd grader fat? If so, talk with his pediatrician about what is causing it and what to do.

This reminds me of a SchlongSlice thread or six.