OtherGround Forums Good boy killed who just wanted a ride home

5 days ago
3/16/15
Russ - The five teens were charged late Tuesday with first-degree murder

how does that work? the result of their attempted theft falls on them if one dies?

I believe you are charged for the death of a co-conspirator if he is killed during the crime that you both are committing.

Edited: 5 days ago
12/10/09
Nitecrawler -
scrapdo -
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

[Illinois State Police took over the chase on southbound Interstate 94 near the Dempster Street exit in Skokie.]

Grew up minutes from that intersection. 

Interesting debate here though. Does Illinois allow "self defense" of your property with lethal force? I didn't think in Illinois you could shoot at people trying to steal property. Thought your life or others had to be in immediate danger. 

In NY it’s definitely a no go. 

Then again, I could probably walk in on a gang rape occurring and if I was to use deadly force I would end up in jail and the rapist families would end up suing. 

Yeah, not saying I agree withthose type of laws, just curious how it will all play out for the homeowner.

Definitely an interesting debate. Personally I would think that if anyone is trying to steal my shit I could defend it. However, once you inject deadly force into the matter it definitely becomes a slippery slope. 

Like if I see some dude stealing a lawn ornament, can I aerate him? I would assume that wouldn’t fly. LOL.   

Really not enough detail provided about the theft to know, imo. Was he threatened? Did they have a weapon? Was he in the car when they approached? Did they come towards him?

Also, the fact that it was a felony may be a way some jurisdictions can delineate between the lawn ornament example and this. 

But what if it is a really, really nice lawn ornament?

That's fair. Those racist lawn jockeys have only increased in value.

5 days ago
12/10/09
PatK -
scrapdo - 
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

[Illinois State Police took over the chase on southbound Interstate 94 near the Dempster Street exit in Skokie.]

Interesting debate here though. Does Illinois allow "self defense" of your property with lethal force? I didn't think in Illinois you could shoot at people trying to steal property. Thought your life or others had to be in immediate danger. 

Then again, I could probably walk in on a gang rape occurring and if I was to use deadly force I would end up in jail and the rapist families would end up suing. 

Yeah, not saying I agree withthose type of laws, just curious how it will all play out for the homeowner.

Definitely an interesting debate. Personally I would think that if anyone is trying to steal my shit I could defend it. However, once you inject deadly force into the matter it definitely becomes a slippery slope. 

Like if I see some dude stealing a lawn ornament, can I aerate him? I would assume that wouldn’t fly. LOL.   

Really not enough detail provided about the theft to know, imo. Was he threatened? Did they have a weapon? Was he in the car when they approached? Did they come towards him?

Also, the fact that it was a felony may be a way some jurisdictions can delineate between the lawn ornament example and this. 

According to earlier reports, the man saw the Lexus (which was lent to them by a nice family in Willmette the day before) parked in his driveway and the Rhodes Scholars attempting to break into his vehicle.

He went outside with his gun and two of the future Nobel Prize winners approached him on his porch. One of them had something in his hand, which was later identified as a knife found at the scene, and he fired three times.

The man has his FOID card and a conceal and carry permit.

I doubt he's getting charged at this point

That pretty much seals it. Good for him not going out there defenseless. Maybe 10 years ago he'd have been able to kill more than just one.

5 days ago
10/16/07
The racial overtones are so gross.
5 days ago
7/31/09
gtownhoya -
Russ - The five teens were charged late Tuesday with first-degree murder

how does that work? the result of their attempted theft falls on them if one dies?

It's called felony murder. If someone dies in the comission of certain (typically, violent) felonies, even if it is an accomplice, the individuals who committed the underlying felony can be charged with murder.

Now that's a law i can get behind. 

Fuck those pieces of shit. They all deserve what's coming to them and more.

5 days ago
11/11/14

It's called the Felony Murder Rule

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_murder_rule

5 days ago
3/14/08
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Aww we’re playing pretend now? 

Proof or it didn’t happen

5 days ago
1/16/19
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Haha, I’m from the opposite side (South) of that war zone, Chi-town, but ees normal. My Chicago family are some of the gun toteing-est mofos that you’ll find anywhere. Most of them say, “stay strapped” amywhere you go. 

5 days ago
1/1/01
gtownhoya - 

It's called felony murder. If someone dies in the comission of certain (typically, violent) felonies, even if it is an accomplice, the individuals who committed the underlying felony can be charged with murder.

thanks learn something new everyday
I agree with this fully
5 days ago
12/2/05
JessDogg -
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

What did he say happened? 

5 days ago
7/7/17
Russ -
gtownhoya - 

thanks learn something new everyday
I agree with this fully

And now, to show off, allow me to recite the commom law felonies that could trigger a felony murder charge (state statutes may add to, or subtract from, this list): murder, rape, sodomy, burglary, arson, kidnapping, escape and robbery.

- Guy who took criminal law in law school 20 years ago

5 days ago
5/13/11
bakobell -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Uh a car full of black youths trying to car jack you is a clear and present danger. 5v1 is life and death. 

He was in his home, and called police first. That's not a car jacking or I never would have posed the question in the first place. 

5 days ago
5/13/11
scrapdo -
PatK -
scrapdo - 
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

According to earlier reports, the man saw the Lexus (which was lent to them by a nice family in Willmette the day before) parked in his driveway and the Rhodes Scholars attempting to break into his vehicle.

He went outside with his gun and two of the future Nobel Prize winners approached him on his porch. One of them had something in his hand, which was later identified as a knife found at the scene, and he fired three times.

That pretty much seals it. Good for him not going out there defenseless. Maybe 10 years ago he'd have been able to kill more than just one.

Yep. 

5 days ago
1/1/01
If Obama had a son....
5 days ago
6/29/09
PatK - 
scrapdo - 
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

The true tragedy is that everyone has to speculate whether or not there would be any charges filed against the homeowner.
5 days ago
1/1/01
UltimateKeyboardWarrior -

I believe you are charged for the death of a co-conspirator if he is killed during the crime that you both are committing.

Wasn't there also a chance they could've saved him and thats why that charge will stick?

4 days ago
12/17/06
JessDogg -
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Post the paint cans or shut your cumhole.

4 days ago
7/7/17
NiteProwleR -

Wasn't there also a chance they could've saved him and thats why that charge will stick?

The charge applies so long as the underlying felony can be proved. For example, even if the homeowner committed a crime by using unreasonable force, the felony murder charge will apply. It's a pretty low bar.  

4 days ago
11/28/03

Diamond C. Davis

4 days ago
7/10/02
UltimateKeyboardWarrior - 

I fucking hate thieves and armed robbers are worse obviously, but I've always found this excessive unless the intent was to kill (like a gang execution)

4 days ago
1/1/01
ShortyMac - 
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

You grew up in North Chicago?

The quote says Skokie.  I also lived minutes away from that intersection.

LaynPray - did you ever eat at Barnum & Bagel?  I loved their matzo ball soup.

I have been to Barnum & Bagel twice and was underwhelmed.

Didn't have the soup though

4 days ago
5/13/11
ShortyMac -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Indeed I did. Actually lived in Skokie most all of my youth. Hung out more in Evanston than Skokie. Lighthouse beach was a regular weekend party spot. 

4 days ago
3/16/15
PatK - 
ShortyMac - 
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

I only got the large bowl of matzo ball soup.  They gave you a basket of really good rolls to dunk in the soup.  It was heaven for me.  I think it closed some time ago.

4 days ago
5/13/11
ShortyMac - 
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

I did enjoy their matzo ball soup! The rest of the food was blah, but the soup was a regular thing for the family, especially if we had a cold/were sick. Lol

4 days ago
5/13/11
PatK - 
ShortyMac - 
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

I only got the large bowl of matzo ball soup.  They gave you a basket of really good rolls to dunk in the soup.  It was heaven for me.  I think it closed some time ago.

It did close a few years back. Think they tore it down as well. Haven't been back to visit in over a year though. 

Pita Inn is my favorite Skokie restaurant. Crave their falafel!