OtherGround Forums Good boy killed who just wanted a ride home

3 days ago
1/1/01

CHICAGO — Five teens have been charged with murder after a 14-year-old boy was shot and killed  following an attempted auto theft and high-speed chase from rural Lake County to Chicago.

Authorities said it started around 1 a.m. Tuesday with an attempted auto theft in the small town of Old Mill Creek.  A 75-year-old homeowner called police to report the crime in progress.  The homeowner also opened fire on the group of individuals — adults and juveniles — who were attempting to steal his vehicle.

The group fled the scene in a black Lexus SUV that was stolen over the weekend, police said. The offenders stopped near Route 132 and Hunt Club Road in Gurnee and dropped off a 14-year-old, who had a gunshot wound to his head area, and another man. A Gurnee police officer, who was in the area investigating an unrelated crash, began first aid on the 14-year-old and called for an ambulance.

The 14-year-old was taken to Condell Medical Center, where he later died, police said. A 17-year-old male was taken into custody at the crash scene in Gurnee.

Gurnee police gave chase to the group in the Lexus, which was heading toward Chicago. It was pursued by Lake County sheriff's officers first, then Illinois State Police took over the chase on southbound Interstate 94 near the Dempster Street exit in Skokie.

According to police, the Lexus exited the Kennedy Expressway at Randolph Street and Halsted Street in Chicago, abandoned the Lexus and took off running. Three teens who were in the car, ages 16, 17 and 18, were arrested, police said. A 17-year-old male, was later found hiding in a dumpster near Soho House Chicago and was arrested.

“Certainly it’s a tragic incident. Anytime there’s a loss of life it’s a tragedy; however, we are thankful for the assistance of the Gurnee Police Department and the Illinois State Police. Certainly a collaborative effort by law enforcement to quickly identify what occurred, into custody," said Sgt. Christopher Covelli, Lake County Sheriff's Office.

The five teens were charged late Tuesday with first-degree murder. Diamond Davis,18, was among those charged. The others have not been named by officials.  A Lake County judge set bail at one million dollars each.  They are due back in court on Septembe

3 days ago
12/15/11

I dont understand why immigrants don't move there..;)

3 days ago
3/20/15

probably could have set bail at $100 and they still couldn't post it...

3 days ago
6/30/03

Its because white supremacy is a growing problem

3 days ago
6/3/03

Too bad they all weren’t shot in the fucking head. 

3 days ago
5/13/11

[Illinois State Police took over the chase on southbound Interstate 94 near the Dempster Street exit in Skokie.]

Grew up minutes from that intersection. 

Interesting debate here though. Does Illinois allow "self defense" of your property with lethal force? I didn't think in Illinois you could shoot at people trying to steal property. Thought your life or others had to be in immediate danger. 

3 days ago
7/15/04

3 days ago
6/3/03
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

[Illinois State Police took over the chase on southbound Interstate 94 near the Dempster Street exit in Skokie.]

Interesting debate here though. Does Illinois allow "self defense" of your property with lethal force? I didn't think in Illinois you could shoot at people trying to steal property. Thought your life or others had to be in immediate danger. 

In NY it’s definitely a no go. 

Then again, I could probably walk in on a gang rape occurring and if I was to use deadly force I would end up in jail and the rapist families would end up suing. 

3 days ago
5/13/11
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Then again, I could probably walk in on a gang rape occurring and if I was to use deadly force I would end up in jail and the rapist families would end up suing. 

Yeah, not saying I agree withthose type of laws, just curious how it will all play out for the homeowner.

3 days ago
6/3/03
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Yeah, not saying I agree withthose type of laws, just curious how it will all play out for the homeowner.

Definitely an interesting debate. Personally I would think that if anyone is trying to steal my shit I could defend it. However, once you inject deadly force into the matter it definitely becomes a slippery slope. 

Like if I see some dude stealing a lawn ornament, can I aerate him? I would assume that wouldn’t fly. LOL.   

3 days ago
3/10/11

Flies here in Texas.

3 days ago
3/16/15

Those children were studying to be community organizers

3 days ago
1/18/12

None of the stupid fucks thought

"Yo this kids life may be worth more than getting caught, lets just go to the hospital."

Only white supremacy could be to blame imo......lol

3 days ago
12/10/09
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Definitely an interesting debate. Personally I would think that if anyone is trying to steal my shit I could defend it. However, once you inject deadly force into the matter it definitely becomes a slippery slope. 

Like if I see some dude stealing a lawn ornament, can I aerate him? I would assume that wouldn’t fly. LOL.   

Really not enough detail provided about the theft to know, imo. Was he threatened? Did they have a weapon? Was he in the car when they approached? Did they come towards him?

Also, the fact that it was a felony may be a way some jurisdictions can delineate between the lawn ornament example and this. 

3 days ago
6/3/03
scrapdo -
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Really not enough detail provided about the theft to know, imo. Was he threatened? Did they have a weapon? Was he in the car when they approached? Did they come towards him?

Also, the fact that it was a felony may be a way some jurisdictions can delineate between the lawn ornament example and this. 

But what if it is a really, really nice lawn ornament?

3 days ago
11/11/14

Those black kids were aspiring scientists and just wanted a ride to the library. In for pictures of them in graduation attire

3 days ago
1/1/01

Little D'QuanteVarnavious could have been somebody......

Edited: 3 days ago
10/15/13
ShortyMac -

Those black kids were aspiring scientists and just wanted a ride to the library. In for pictures of them in graduation attire

Or pics of them in school uniforms from 3rd grade (ya know, the last year they attended)

3 days ago
1/1/01
scrapdo - 
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Nitecrawler -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

According to earlier reports, the man saw the Lexus (which was lent to them by a nice family in Willmette the day before) parked in his driveway and the Rhodes Scholars attempting to break into his vehicle.

He went outside with his gun and two of the future Nobel Prize winners approached him on his porch. One of them had something in his hand, which was later identified as a knife found at the scene, and he fired three times.

The man has his FOID card and a conceal and carry permit.

I doubt he's getting charged at this point

Edited: 3 days ago
10/2/12
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Uh a car full of black youths trying to car jack you is a clear and present danger. 5v1 is life and death. 

3 days ago
9/22/16
I'm sure Chicago has five unoccupied lampposts.
3 days ago
11/11/14
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

You grew up in North Chicago?

3 days ago
1/1/01
The five teens were charged late Tuesday with first-degree murder

how does that work? the result of their attempted theft falls on them if one dies?
3 days ago
7/7/17
Russ - The five teens were charged late Tuesday with first-degree murder

how does that work? the result of their attempted theft falls on them if one dies?

It's called felony murder. If someone dies in the comission of certain (typically, violent) felonies, even if it is an accomplice, the individuals who committed the underlying felony can be charged with murder.

3 days ago
3/16/15
ShortyMac - 
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

You grew up in North Chicago?

The quote says Skokie.  I also lived minutes away from that intersection.

LaynPray - did you ever eat at Barnum & Bagel?  I loved their matzo ball soup.