OtherGround Forums Google's secret plan to censor the internet

8 days ago
4/5/09

--- ok u know what... it is officially time to ween off of google.  I need my youtube account and will use maps from time to time, but no more main email being gmail, no more chrome.  

Google's secret plan to censor the internet: Giant wants tech companies to police what users post, leaked report reveals

• 85-page document blames a number of factors for the 'erosion' of free speech 
  • The report lists several 'bad behaviours' on the internet, including racism 
  • Anonymity, cyber harassment and venting all deemed part of a wider problem

Leaked Google documents suggest the tech giant wants increased censorship of the internet and believes other internet firms should police debate online.

The 85-page paper, leaked by a Google employee, claims that cyber harassment, racism and people venting their frustrations are 'eroding' free speech online.

It says that the ability to post anonymously has 'empowered' online commenters to express their views 'recklessly' and 'with abandon'.

Censoring the internet could make comment sections safer and more civil for everyone, the report concludes.

In response to the leak, Google insisted the document was not company policy, though it admitted the research was something being considered by top bosses.

Internet rights advocates said that censoring online debate risks hampering free speech and creating an environment in which the views of some groups are not tolerated by big technology firms.

More: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6260177/Google-wants-censor-internet-tackle-cyber-harassment-racism-venting.html

8 days ago
1/2/15

What bias?! I mean private company!

8 days ago
1/1/01

Translation:

All conservative and even centrist opinions are hate speech.  They must be censored.

8 days ago
12/2/02
I honestly can't say they are wrong, but they are already calling out only one side in the one slide posted.
8 days ago
1/23/12

You don't have to use Google products. 

8 days ago
5/3/07
allyourbasebase - 

hey dummy
what if a business gets on the banned list and other people who do use google products cant find them in searches or youtube or google maps or any of the other usual places? They would fail.
8 days ago
1/11/06

Google controls about 90 percent of of the search traffic on the internet. Approaching monopoly figures - might be time to break them apart or regulate them.

8 days ago
2/2/15

There are factors eroding free speech so let's censor shit.

That makes as much sense as complaining that you can't stop shitting as you take more ex-lax.

8 days ago
7/31/09

Lol. What a crock of shit. 

8 days ago
1/1/01

Support gab.ai. 

GAB
Hello Everyone,

Yesterday Breitbart published a leaked internal Google briefing about the shift Silicon Valley is making towards more censorship online. This followed leaks earlier in the day from The Intercept, which show how Google is contradicting themselves in regards to the censored search engine they are building for the Chinese government. You can read the briefing that Breitbart published here: Google: "The Good Censor".

On page 53 of this internal Google briefing, Gab.com is cited as a "challenger app" and notes how users are moving to Gab in response to the censorship of Silicon Valley. Google argues for a "European" approach to speech standards on the internet, favoring "civility" over freedom.

Silicon Valley has shown their true colors, which is why they recognize Gab.com as a threat to their control and dominance over the internet. They are rejecting the cherished internet ideals of liberty and free expression in exchange for censorship and partnerships with the Chinese government.

This is why Gab is winning and will continue to win. We are adding tens of thousands of new users every week, and our funding round is being completely powered by you, The People. In about 20 days we have raised $670,000 and will quickly meet our goal of $1.07m. We are hiring more engineers to speed up product development, make the site more user friendly, and build out our own infrastructure to escape the chains of Silicon Valley.

If you're interested in investing and becoming a shareholder you can learn more here and invest as little as $252.

PS: developers please check out our new API.

Thanks for your continued support!

8 days ago
12/2/02
Look at the slide in the OP, then read the thread that this came from....

"Top Google exec tells Republicans 'f*** you all to hell' in unhinged Twitter post over Brett Kavanaugh"

Hypocrites.
8 days ago
12/18/03

Remember James Damore! 

8 days ago
1/1/01
MarsMan - 

Remember James Damore! 

The crazy thing about Damore is that he was just citing studies that state women don't gravitate to tech jobs.  He even offered suggestions to help incentivize women to the field.  Google didn't have a problem with this until it got leaked then he got fired.  Nothing in his written piece suggested women were dumber or couldn't do the job.  Just that they didn't chose to pursue those jobs.

8 days ago
1/1/01
Luncha Libre - 
allyourbasebase - 

hey dummy
what if a business gets on the banned list and other people who do use google products cant find them in searches or youtube or google maps or any of the other usual places? They would fail.

Then that is just too bad. A business that fails just because it isn't on Google probably has more serious problems than not being listed on Google. Moreover, Google is not the only search engine in the world. Nobody is entitled to free publicity (ie, showing up in search results or on maps) from a private company.
8 days ago
1/14/07

Switched from chrome to firefox, from docs to office 365, and from gmail to outlook.

It was much easier than I thought it was going to be. 

8 days ago
8/5/17
FetusofFury -
Luncha Libre - 
allyourbasebase - 

hey dummy

Then that is just too bad. A business that fails just because it isn't on Google probably has more serious problems than not being listed on Google. Moreover, Google is not the only search engine in the world. Nobody is entitled to free publicity (ie, showing up in search results or on maps) from a private company.

You would hand over your freedom on a technicality.

8 days ago
2/1/08
FetusofFury -
Luncha Libre - 
allyourbasebase - 

hey dummy

Welcome to the OG - where businesses should be allowed to discriminate as they see fit, as long as it's not against us.

Edited: 8 days ago
2/2/15

Funny, notsobigmike, you don't feel that businesses should be allowed to discriminate yet you're a-ok with this. I wonder why....

8 days ago
11/4/10

8 days ago
2/28/12
FetusofFury - 
Luncha Libre - 
allyourbasebase - 

hey dummy

You might be amazed if you understood the true scope of how Google has screwed over many businesses large and small by gaming their search results. Over the last 10 years Google has systematically replaced every single affiliate type business with their own links.

They were recently fined $2.7 Billion specifically on this issue.
8 days ago
2/1/08
Bilge Water -

Funny, notsobigmike, you don't feel that businesses should be allowed to discriminate yet you're a-ok with this. I wonder why....

How so?  

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the OG was the haven of the libertarian mindset where businesses are free to practice as they choose, and the free market will sort it out.

8 days ago
11/20/13
notsobigmike -
Bilge Water -

How so?  

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the OG was the haven of the libertarian mindset where businesses are free to practice as they choose, and the free market will sort it out.

Free market jesus saves everyone, but them. How strange.

8 days ago
1/7/09
allyourbasebase -

I agree with this as a general concept, but it doesn't always work in practice. The problem is that a few massive companies like Google have such a widespread influence over such a massive part of the internet without any meaningful alternatives or competition.

Choosing an email provider other than gmail is easy enough, but it gets more complicated when, for example, you look at the way Google search can hugely influence the economics of a company or reputation of a person. Or if you are YouTube content provider who gets demonitized due to your political beliefs...you can't just suddenly switch to another platform because nothing comparable to YouTube exists. These companies are almost bordering on becoming public utilities...we wouldn't be ok with a power company cutting service to a house that displays a sign for a particular political candidate because there isn't an open market of competitive alternative power companies. Same is almost true for the handful of major internet companies.

8 days ago
1/2/15
notsobigmike -
Bilge Water -

How so?  

As long as it's not a cake, right?

8 days ago
1/1/01
Did anyone actually read the document? I don't see what the problem is. It is not about wanting to censor the internet. They are researching issues that face tech platform companies and trying to find solutions.

Things they say in the document:

Don't Take Sides
Police Tone instead of content

They mention inconsistent interventions and have a quote about Milo being kicked off but not abusive feminist and left wing users. They talk about lack of transparency by the tech companies.

Every tech platform is going to censor its users, the og does, twitter does, google does,
facebook does. This document is researching how to approach that.