OtherGround Forums Gravity Falls is a pedo show?

Edited: 7 days ago
8/6/08

So my son is obssessed with this show (which is rated for ages 7 and up) and makes me watch it with him. It is pretty funny but it seem that every single episode is centered around one of the two 12 year olds (who are drawn to look closer to 6) pursuing a crush and in almost all instances the crush is older, sometimes adults.

I understand at that age kids do date, but it seems odd to me that every single episode has a romantic component to it and that the little girl character in particular is always pursuing adult men and she fantasizes about kissing them and imagines them without their shirts

the boy also has a huge crush on a girl that isnt an adult but she is "too old" to date him and in one episode he is lying on her bra? not sure why that was necessary for a kids show...

then I looked up the creator of the show and he looks awfully pedoey

https://tvguide1.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2012/08/22/d40fb5c5-d7b1-4699-8f48-912dc1ea050e/thumbnail/900x600/8b1c9922bd8b32df8ea38899ea4ed34e/120822mag-AlexHirsch1.jpg

and this doesnt even touch upon all the illuminati/demonic imagery in the show...

7 days ago
11/14/11

something that never happens in real life is a tween having a crush on someone older.

maybe if the adult reciprocated it would be worrying, but most are celebrities and unaccessible.

6 days ago
1/18/04
That show is fantastic. The 2 main characters are 12 year old twins that turn 13. Some "coming of age" stuff is stock material.

The boy has an ongoing thing for the 16 year old (or so) girl. She gives him no tang.

The twin girl is boy crazy and has some crush every other episode, a merman, puppeteers, a child evangelist, etc.

No adult-esque characters ever carried on a thing for the minors, and I got zero creepy vibe from it. I've got 3 boys and they wore that show out for a while.

Also, the finale has arguably the greatest story arc in cartoon history, the three-peat Weirdmageddon. They even read the spin off books and origin stories. Great for kids, really tolerable for adults.

6 days ago
5/4/14

That show was awesome.

You’re a weirdo for the pedo angle. 

6 days ago
4/27/17
Son of Neckbone - That show is fantastic. The 2 main characters are 12 year old twins that turn 13. Some "coming of age" stuff is stock material.

The boy has an ongoing thing for the 16 year old (or so) girl. She gives him no tang.

The twin girl is boy crazy and has some crush every other episode, a merman, puppeteers, a child evangelist, etc.

No adult-esque characters ever carried on a thing for the minors, and I got zero creepy vibe from it. I've got 3 boys and they wore that show out for a while.

Also, the finale has arguably the greatest story arc in cartoon history, the three-peat Weirdmageddon. They even read the spin off books and origin stories. Great for kids, really tolerable for adults.

Agreed, but this is also true:

"and this doesnt even touch upon all the illuminati/demonic imagery in the show."

6 days ago
10/3/16
gokudamus -

So my son is obssessed with this show (which is rated for ages 7 and up) and makes me watch it with him. It is pretty funny but it seem that every single episode is centered around one of the two 12 year olds (who are drawn to look closer to 6) pursuing a crush and in almost all instances the crush is older, sometimes adults.

I understand at that age kids do date, but it seems odd to me that every single episode has a romantic component to it and that the little girl character in particular is always pursuing adult men and she fantasizes about kissing them and imagines them without their shirts

the boy also has a huge crush on a girl that isnt an adult but she is "too old" to date him and in one episode he is lying on her bra? not sure why that was necessary for a kids show...

https://tvguide1.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2012/08/22/d40fb5c5-d7b1-4699-8f48-912dc1ea050e/thumbnail/900x600/8b1c9922bd8b32df8ea38899ea4ed34e/120822mag-AlexHirsch1.jpg

and this doesnt even touch upon all the illuminati/demonic imagery in the show...

Don't watch Bob's Burgers, goku.

6 days ago
11/28/09

It’s in the Rick and Morty universe.  No joke.

6 days ago
1/1/01
gokudamus -

The creator 

6 days ago
5/28/03

Big mouth is the pedo show.

not this.

6 days ago
12/31/10

show was great.

Protagonist are drawn shorter than real life people their age, but is a cartoon. The way is drawn allows you to identify tweeners, 15+ teenagers, and adults at a glance.

6 days ago
5/9/10
vincan469 -

something that never happens in real life is a tween having a crush on someone older.

maybe if the adult reciprocated it would be worrying, but most are celebrities and unaccessible.

i had the hots for my 1st grade teacher.

still wood Mrs. Scott, still wood.

6 days ago
6/10/08

watched it a few times and never got a weird vibe. i kinda liked it. but my kids are 24/7 Big City Greens for MONTHS now.... I know every episode verbatim. good show though.

6 days ago
10/10/05

Simpsons did it

6 days ago
8/6/08
Son of Neckbone - That show is fantastic. The 2 main characters are 12 year old twins that turn 13. Some "coming of age" stuff is stock material.

just off the top of my head gabe, the puppeteer is an adult and returned interest in mabel. he also made out with his puppets. and mabel's puppet show included her and gabe basically eating each others faces in a makeout. 

6 days ago
8/6/08
vincan469 - 

tweens also have sex. Should it be promoted centrally in a 7 year old show? 

6 days ago
8/6/08
PeoriaBJJ - 

watched it a few times and never got a weird vibe. i kinda liked it. but my kids are 24/7 Big City Greens for MONTHS now.... I know every episode verbatim. good show though.

you don't get a weird vibe because that is how a first step in subtle desensitization/normalization works...its like a frog in boiling water

4 days ago
12/31/10
gokudamus -
vincan469 - 

tweens also have sex. Should it be promoted centrally in a 7 year old show? 

Moot point when dressing a kid in womens clothing giving him more makeup than girls their age use in a month  and parading him around adults, is considered something to be applauded in todays TV.

Check out the standards of your society.

4 days ago
12/31/10
gokudamus -
Son of Neckbone - That show is fantastic. The 2 main characters are 12 year old twins that turn 13. Some "coming of age" stuff is stock material.

just off the top of my head gabe, the puppeteer is an adult and returned interest in mabel. he also made out with his puppets. and mabel's puppet show included her and gabe basically eating each others faces in a makeout. 

just of the top of mine, we are never told the age of the guy. We asume he is older because thats what girls that age fantasize about, and because he has a job/gig.

Your are stretching yourself to not abandon your point. Basically all 100% of cartoons can be looked with a twisted, adult angle when in reality, exactly like comedy specials, things are said and done to create laughs, not no be overANALized in blog posts.

Mabel is kidnapper of 4 men she fancies in one episode, and she is kidnapped by a band of tiny gnomes who fancy her in another. Evil? Acceptable? Is the show promoting mental and physical torture as ways to adquire a life partner? Or did they just wanted to create a situation where some action occured in the series?

4 days ago
7/15/02

Superb show. Watched them all with my kids and would watch again. You loco. 

Edited: 4 days ago
8/6/08
luctaro - 
gokudamus -

just of the top of mine, we are never told the age of the guy. We asume he is older because thats what girls that age fantasize about, and because he has a job/gig.

Your are stretching yourself to not abandon your point. Basically all 100% of cartoons can be looked with a twisted, adult angle when in reality, exactly like comedy specials, things are said and done to create laughs, not no be overANALized in blog posts.

Mabel is kidnapper of 4 men she fancies in one episode, and she is kidnapped by a band of tiny gnomes who fancy her in another. Evil? Acceptable? Is the show promoting mental and physical torture as ways to adquire a life partner? Or did they just wanted to create a situation where some action occured in the series?

gabe had a line about people thinking its weird for an adult to be playing with puppets...he was also drawn as an adult

also it would be one thing if they talked about a crush or some romance once in a while..it is in EVERY SINGLE FUCKING EPISODE

recent one I watched dipper went back in time and met 6 year old wendy who said dipper was cute

the way they trick fools like you is by making it seem all very innocent and harmless but in reality this is subtle grooming