OtherGround Forums Guy at work shot himself in parking lot today....

12/14/19 1:51 AM
12/29/03
Bilge Water -

If we were allowed to carry here I would, however, I would definitely not carry with a round chambered. I'll take my chances on the one second it takes to chamber a round to avoid something like that happening.

Then you might as well carry a paper weight. Carrying with an empty chamber is possibly the most dangerous thing you can do. 

12/14/19 2:07 AM
1/20/11

I carry a hammer fired HK, I don't believe it's technically possible for a round to go off unless the trigger is pulled definitively. Longer than avg trigger pull, and I thumb the hammer whenever I holster it. I definitely don't touch it unless I'm putting it on, or taking it off. 

12/14/19 2:41 AM
4/21/09
ScreenName22 -
RamRamCHOKEDonACUÑAsJRsizedJOHNSON -

Crazy as my office window is right in front of where he parks. If it didn't hit his tire it would have absolutely came through my window.

We can joke about it now that we know he's ok just a flesh wound.

So by him shooting DOWN through his leg and DOWN into the tire, the bullet would have ABSOLUTELY went through your office window? Do you work in hell or something?

Basically... Yes

12/14/19 2:42 AM
4/21/09
Bilge Water -

If we were allowed to carry here I would, however, I would definitely not carry with a round chambered. I'll take my chances on the one second it takes to chamber a round to avoid something like that happening.

This. I never keep a round chambered unless completely necessary.

12/14/19 2:43 AM
4/21/09
JThomasufc91 -

Stro would be disappointed bambam. 

I could see it if I shot myself. 

Besides, Stro loves me. We boys. 

12/14/19 3:07 AM
10/10/06

I feel like if you do an accidental discharge there should be like a penalty of some kind against you

12/14/19 3:59 AM
11/1/19
JThomasufc91 -

Bro.. Check your ducking pms. No shit stro is your boy. Mine too. Love ya dog.

12/14/19 4:00 AM
11/1/19

The app doesn't show it. Go to browser.

12/14/19 4:11 AM
3/10/16

Damn, that tire was in real good condition

12/14/19 4:14 AM
3/12/07

this one is twice as big. I say this one.

I still can't believe Uruguay is down. This is mindblowing.

12/14/19 6:47 AM
1/1/01

So what i learned is a glock can easily have something move the trigger which fires the gun, meaning someone is handling it and it fires. So it doesnt fire "by itself" at least someone gave an explanation. Or are there cases of people hearing a gun go off on a gun safe because it goes off itself due to mechanical failure as someone suggested?

12/14/19 8:14 AM
2/2/15
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -
Bilge Water -

Then you might as well carry a paper weight. Carrying with an empty chamber is possibly the most dangerous thing you can do. 

While this claim sounds like wild exaggeration to me, I'm willing to listen to your reasoning with an open mind.

12/14/19 9:06 AM
3/29/13
Braf Zachland -

So what i learned is a glock can easily have something move the trigger which fires the gun, meaning someone is handling it and it fires. So it doesnt fire "by itself" at least someone gave an explanation. Or are there cases of people hearing a gun go off on a gun safe because it goes off itself due to mechanical failure as someone suggested?

Literally nobody suggested that, glocks triggers are fucking stupid, and anyone who carries one is risking everybody around thems lives too

12/14/19 9:20 AM
4/21/09
JThomasufc91 -
JThomasufc91 -

Bro.. Check your ducking pms. No shit stro is your boy. Mine too. Love ya dog.

Holy shit man good to see you around. Hope things are well!!

12/14/19 9:43 AM
6/15/19
angryinch - 
billyball2 - 
angryinch - 
RamRamCHOKEDonACUÑAsJRsizedJOHNSON - 
Nitecrawler -

WTF was he doing? Cleaning the gun while sitting in his truck or something?

Said he was taking it out of his waste band after he got back from lunch to leave in his truck. I still don't know how he fired it while in the holster. 

I would say he prob should refrain from having a round chambered from here on out.

Was it a Glock? There have been cases of certain Glocks going off on their own while in certain holsters.

Happened to a relative of mine who is not someone who would have a negligent discharge.

This is incorrect.

Guns do not go off on their own.

There are three safeties built into the fire control system of a Glock.

Your "relative" is either lying, had a holstering system that wasn't designed for the gun he was using, or he introduced some other user-error to the situation.

A Glock is just a striker fired pistol so saying they're more or less prone to "going off on their own" is asinine...

Sounds like you get your info from the Glock website.

Any type of mechanical device can, and eventually will, fail. There are way too many reports of Glocks going off without any user intervention for it to be a coincidence.

And why is it you only hear about it with Glocks and not say, a Smith & Wesson .38 revolver?

probably because it is just about the #1 most popular gun. All things being equal the most popular gun will have the most reports of "going off on its own"
12/14/19 9:52 AM
3/14/04
chad_mcjangle - 
angryinch - 
billyball2 - 
angryinch - 
Nitecrawler -

Said he was taking it out of his waste band after he got back from lunch to leave in his truck. I still don't know how he fired it while in the holster. 

I would say he prob should refrain from having a round chambered from here on out.

Was it a Glock? There have been cases of certain Glocks going off on their own while in certain holsters.

Happened to a relative of mine who is not someone who would have a negligent discharge.

This is incorrect.

Your "relative" is either lying, had a holstering system that wasn't designed for the gun he was using, or he introduced some other user-error to the situation.

A Glock is just a striker fired pistol so saying they're more or less prone to "going off on their own" is asinine...

Any type of mechanical device can, and eventually will, fail. There are way too many reports of Glocks going off without any user intervention for it to be a coincidence.

And why is it you only hear about it with Glocks and not say, a Smith & Wesson .38 revolver?

probably because it is just about the #1 most popular gun. All things being equal the most popular gun will have the most reports of "going off on its own"

lol @ all of you guys getting your info from Glock's website.

The S&W M&P Shield, Ruger LCP, Springfield XDS, Sig P938, all sell more than the most popular Glock, the G19. And that's just semi-autos. Revolvers sell more than Glocks too.

So where are all the incidents of M&P Shields, LCPs, etc... going off accidentally? By your own argument they should all have more reported accidental discharges.
12/14/19 10:22 AM
1/1/01
angryinch - 
chad_mcjangle - 
angryinch - 
billyball2 - 
angryinch - 
Nitecrawler -

This is incorrect.

The S&W M&P Shield, Ruger LCP, Springfield XDS, Sig P938, all sell more than the most popular Glock, the G19. And that's just semi-autos. Revolvers sell more than Glocks too.

So where are all the incidents of M&P Shields, LCPs, etc... going off accidentally? By your own argument they should all have more reported accidental discharges.

Again, because you're slow.

Glocks (and other modern pistols with multiple safeties in the fire control system) do not go "off on their own". Someone (or something) has to pull the trigger. There are zero documented cases of spontaneous discharge from a Glock. Even the reports from other manufacturers typically involve dropping.

As to your point on popularity, you're referring to statistics from Gunbroker.com. While goof for the website, it is just ONE source. The vast majority of firearms sold are NOT purchased through Gunbroker.com, so the information in anecdotal.

Military, police, security, and private purchase sales of Glock dwarf the others. That doesn't make Glock better than the others, it's just reality.

You're making shit up and pretending to speak with authority about something yiou have no first-hand knowledge of.

Go back to Twinkies, obesity, and living in mom's basement. You're an expert there...

12/14/19 10:25 AM
6/2/14

Dude was probably getting ready to go postal at your office and fucked up as he was getting out of his truck.

12/14/19 10:46 AM
2/28/13

Gun guys are weird. Do you really need a gun to run up to chipotle?

12/14/19 11:03 AM
12/2/09

What if he was getting ready to shoot the place up or commit suicide? Did the cops come? I doubt his gun just "went off". 

12/14/19 11:50 AM
12/29/03
Bilge Water - 
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -
Bilge Water -

While this claim sounds like wild exaggeration to me, I'm willing to listen to your reasoning with an open mind.

So, I apologize if it came of pointed, but it's not an exaggeration.

Statistically speaking, the vast majority of self defense shootings happen at a distance of less than 7 yards, and to most of those the "3 3 3" Rule apply. That rule basically states, according to FBI statistics, most self defense shootings are at 3 feet, in 3 seconds, with 3 rounds fired.

My not carrying one in the chamber, you are adding a GIANT variable to the equation. Also called "Israeli Carry", it puts you at a huge disadvantage. For example, you are at an ATM machine and someone tries to mug you. He goes hands on with you and you have to fight him off while getting to your gun, how are you going to rack it? You will need one hand/arm free defending yourself while drawing with the other.

Say one of your hands or arms is injured by a knife or some other circumstance, how are you going to rack it?

Say you are carrying your kid in one arm and have to defend yourself, how are you going to rack it?

The examples can go on and on. Carrying without a chambered round is a death sentence and is some serious boomer shit to do. As other people have said, modern guns CANNOT go off without the trigger being pulled. I am not a fan of glocks for various reasons, but I do have a Smith M&P9c without a safety. I carry it all the time. In fact, none of my pistols have safeties, they're all either striker fired or DA/SA. It all boils down to practice, training, and having proper equipment.

Do not use those shitty fabric holsters, do not use shitty or any leather holsters. This is 2019, use kydex and make sure you practice holstering and unholstering.

As far as Negligent Discharges or Accidental Discharges, they do happen. Do they suck? Absolutely. Are the avoidable? Usually. As long as you follow as many rules of firearm safety as possible, AD/ND's are generally embarrassing at worst.
12/14/19 11:52 AM
9/30/09
temujen -

I carry a hammer fired HK, I don't believe it's technically possible for a round to go off unless the trigger is pulled definitively. Longer than avg trigger pull, and I thumb the hammer whenever I holster it. I definitely don't touch it unless I'm putting it on, or taking it off. 

That sounds a tad dangerous. Any atrophy in the hammer... you probably take care of your guns, so it's unlikely. I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable. 

12/14/19 12:18 PM
1/27/12
Festus - Why complain about commercials? Ypure not missing any of tge advertised fights. There has to be filler do theyre getting paid for it. I never understood the cplaining of commercials. Phone Post
Dont get me wrong..I know why they have them. But its almost comical the ammount they have. Its like 60%-40%
Com-fight.
I am just one of those guys who hate commercials and pay extra for movie channels so I dont have to see any!! Phone Post
12/14/19 12:45 PM
1/12/10
angryinch -
chad_mcjangle - 
angryinch - 
billyball2 - 
angryinch - 
Nitecrawler -

This is incorrect.

Here. 

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/06/17/mps-blamed-accidental-discharges/

and don't bullshit yourself or anyone else. The gun isn't "going off by itself" mishandling of the weapon is what causes it.  Also,

Edited: 12/14/19 1:05 PM
8/19/13

No such thing as accidental discharges only negligent ones 

except for maybe those Remington rifles that there was a class action lawsuit but I don't know those details