OtherGround Forums Guy at work shot himself in parking lot today....

12/14/19 1:59 PM
1/1/01
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - 
Bilge Water - 
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -
Bilge Water -

If we were allowed to carry here I would, however, I would definitely not carry with a round chambered. I'll take my chances on the one second it takes to chamber a round to avoid something like that happening.

Then you might as well carry a paper weight. Carrying with an empty chamber is possibly the most dangerous thing you can do. 

While this claim sounds like wild exaggeration to me, I'm willing to listen to your reasoning with an open mind.

So, I apologize if it came of pointed, but it's not an exaggeration.

Statistically speaking, the vast majority of self defense shootings happen at a distance of less than 7 yards, and to most of those the "3 3 3" Rule apply. That rule basically states, according to FBI statistics, most self defense shootings are at 3 feet, in 3 seconds, with 3 rounds fired.

My not carrying one in the chamber, you are adding a GIANT variable to the equation. Also called "Israeli Carry", it puts you at a huge disadvantage. For example, you are at an ATM machine and someone tries to mug you. He goes hands on with you and you have to fight him off while getting to your gun, how are you going to rack it? You will need one hand/arm free defending yourself while drawing with the other.

Say one of your hands or arms is injured by a knife or some other circumstance, how are you going to rack it?

Say you are carrying your kid in one arm and have to defend yourself, how are you going to rack it?

The examples can go on and on. Carrying without a chambered round is a death sentence and is some serious boomer shit to do. As other people have said, modern guns CANNOT go off without the trigger being pulled. I am not a fan of glocks for various reasons, but I do have a Smith M&P9c without a safety. I carry it all the time. In fact, none of my pistols have safeties, they're all either striker fired or DA/SA. It all boils down to practice, training, and having proper equipment.

Do not use those shitty fabric holsters, do not use shitty or any leather holsters. This is 2019, use kydex and make sure you practice holstering and unholstering.

As far as Negligent Discharges or Accidental Discharges, they do happen. Do they suck? Absolutely. Are the avoidable? Usually. As long as you follow as many rules of firearm safety as possible, AD/ND's are generally embarrassing at worst.

Well said.

Particularly "...and make sure you practice holstering and unholstering."

I can't even carry in my state, but I specifically got into action shooting so I would be forced to handle my pistols and rifles in "practical shooting" situations. Drawing from open carry, from concealment, shooting for par times, etc, etc. The competition aspect means I have to practice (empty gun/dry fire) a lot between matches and take the guns apart to clean/maintain them more frequently. If I'm listening to a conference call for work I'm usually dry-firing a pistol or rifle or practicing drawing from a holster.

Doesn't mean I'm an expert or immune from doing something stupid, but the odds are far less likely.

People who carry should definitely spend time practicing with their guns...

12/14/19 2:07 PM
11/19/19
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -
Bilge Water - 
SergesBeefyHopeFlaps -
Bilge Water -

If we were allowed to carry here I would, however, I would definitely not carry with a round chambered. I'll take my chances on the one second it takes to chamber a round to avoid something like that happening.

Then you might as well carry a paper weight. Carrying with an empty chamber is possibly the most dangerous thing you can do. 

While this claim sounds like wild exaggeration to me, I'm willing to listen to your reasoning with an open mind.

So, I apologize if it came of pointed, but it's not an exaggeration.

Statistically speaking, the vast majority of self defense shootings happen at a distance of less than 7 yards, and to most of those the "3 3 3" Rule apply. That rule basically states, according to FBI statistics, most self defense shootings are at 3 feet, in 3 seconds, with 3 rounds fired.

My not carrying one in the chamber, you are adding a GIANT variable to the equation. Also called "Israeli Carry", it puts you at a huge disadvantage. For example, you are at an ATM machine and someone tries to mug you. He goes hands on with you and you have to fight him off while getting to your gun, how are you going to rack it? You will need one hand/arm free defending yourself while drawing with the other.

Say one of your hands or arms is injured by a knife or some other circumstance, how are you going to rack it?

Say you are carrying your kid in one arm and have to defend yourself, how are you going to rack it?

The examples can go on and on. Carrying without a chambered round is a death sentence and is some serious boomer shit to do. As other people have said, modern guns CANNOT go off without the trigger being pulled. I am not a fan of glocks for various reasons, but I do have a Smith M&P9c without a safety. I carry it all the time. In fact, none of my pistols have safeties, they're all either striker fired or DA/SA. It all boils down to practice, training, and having proper equipment.

Do not use those shitty fabric holsters, do not use shitty or any leather holsters. This is 2019, use kydex and make sure you practice holstering and unholstering.

As far as Negligent Discharges or Accidental Discharges, they do happen. Do they suck? Absolutely. Are the avoidable? Usually. As long as you follow as many rules of firearm safety as possible, AD/ND's are generally embarrassing at worst.

I love you, Tim Kennedy.

12/15/19 12:28 AM
8/7/07

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i442/9876512345/brandonverakomir.gif

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i442/9876512345/pedepanopoundingoutmir.gif

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i442/9876512345/mirvsianfreeman.gif

12/15/19 12:31 AM
8/7/07

Also if you arent comfortable carrying with one up top, you need to get some training and shouldn't be carrying in the first place.

12/15/19 12:34 AM
8/7/07
angryinch -
chad_mcjangle - 
angryinch - 
billyball2 - 
angryinch - 
RamRamCHOKEDonACUÑAsJRsizedJOHNSON - 
Nitecrawler -

WTF was he doing? Cleaning the gun while sitting in his truck or something?

Said he was taking it out of his waste band after he got back from lunch to leave in his truck. I still don't know how he fired it while in the holster. 

I would say he prob should refrain from having a round chambered from here on out.

Was it a Glock? There have been cases of certain Glocks going off on their own while in certain holsters.

Happened to a relative of mine who is not someone who would have a negligent discharge.

This is incorrect.

Guns do not go off on their own.

There are three safeties built into the fire control system of a Glock.

Your "relative" is either lying, had a holstering system that wasn't designed for the gun he was using, or he introduced some other user-error to the situation.

A Glock is just a striker fired pistol so saying they're more or less prone to "going off on their own" is asinine...

Sounds like you get your info from the Glock website.

Any type of mechanical device can, and eventually will, fail. There are way too many reports of Glocks going off without any user intervention for it to be a coincidence.

And why is it you only hear about it with Glocks and not say, a Smith & Wesson .38 revolver?

probably because it is just about the #1 most popular gun. All things being equal the most popular gun will have the most reports of "going off on its own"

lol @ all of you guys getting your info from Glock's website.

The S&W M&P Shield, Ruger LCP, Springfield XDS, Sig P938, all sell more than the most popular Glock, the G19. And that's just semi-autos. Revolvers sell more than Glocks too.

So where are all the incidents of M&P Shields, LCPs, etc... going off accidentally? By your own argument they should all have more reported accidental discharges.

Hahaha source to back up these stats? Anyone involved in the industry at any level see what's going in and coming out of the shops the most. And it is certainly Glocks lol.

12/15/19 10:53 AM
3/14/04
theken206 - 
angryinch -
chad_mcjangle - 
angryinch - 
billyball2 - 
angryinch - 
Nitecrawler -

Said he was taking it out of his waste band after he got back from lunch to leave in his truck. I still don't know how he fired it while in the holster. 

I would say he prob should refrain from having a round chambered from here on out.

Was it a Glock? There have been cases of certain Glocks going off on their own while in certain holsters.

Happened to a relative of mine who is not someone who would have a negligent discharge.

This is incorrect.

Your "relative" is either lying, had a holstering system that wasn't designed for the gun he was using, or he introduced some other user-error to the situation.

A Glock is just a striker fired pistol so saying they're more or less prone to "going off on their own" is asinine...

Any type of mechanical device can, and eventually will, fail. There are way too many reports of Glocks going off without any user intervention for it to be a coincidence.

And why is it you only hear about it with Glocks and not say, a Smith & Wesson .38 revolver?

probably because it is just about the #1 most popular gun. All things being equal the most popular gun will have the most reports of "going off on its own"

The S&W M&P Shield, Ruger LCP, Springfield XDS, Sig P938, all sell more than the most popular Glock, the G19. And that's just semi-autos. Revolvers sell more than Glocks too.

So where are all the incidents of M&P Shields, LCPs, etc... going off accidentally? By your own argument they should all have more reported accidental discharges.

Hahaha source to back up these stats? Anyone involved in the industry at any level see what's going in and coming out of the shops the most. And it is certainly Glocks lol.

ATF and Gunbroker

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/most-popular-guns-in-america/

Which guns are America's favorites?

It's a tough list to quantify, but CBSNews.com has compiled government and retail statistics to create an informal snapshot.

Specifically, we've cross-referenced the most recent annual report from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives with a June 2016 ranking of the best-selling new guns on GunBroker.com, the world's largest online auction site for firearms. We've broken out the most popular guns by category and name, starting with pistols.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'll wait patiently while you post stats from.............Glock's website. lmao

I didn't know Glock had a cult following full of idiots who take it personally and get triggered whenever someone says Glocks aren't the best selling product out of every product ever made over the history of time.
12/15/19 1:17 PM
7/12/03

Similar thing happened at my workplace.

12/15/19 2:00 PM
8/7/07
angryinch -
theken206 - 
angryinch -
chad_mcjangle - 
angryinch - 
billyball2 - 
angryinch - 
Nitecrawler -

This is incorrect.

ATF and Gunbroker

It's a tough list to quantify, but CBSNews.com has compiled government and retail statistics to create an informal snapshot.

Specifically, we've cross-referenced the most recent annual report from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives with a June 2016 ranking of the best-selling new guns on GunBroker.com, the world's largest online auction site for firearms. We've broken out the most popular guns by category and name, starting with pistols.

I didn't know Glock had a cult following full of idiots who take it personally and get triggered whenever someone says Glocks aren't the best selling product out of every product ever made over the history of time.

I'm not even captain glock. I've carried Sigs and HKs and custom 1911s far more than Glocks lol.. My next pick up is a 19 mos with an MMR though lol. Fair enough point. Still hard to argue that Glocks havent been some of the best selling line of pistols for well over the past decade. Not hard to look at Govt contracts, who is using them etc and venture a guess at why. It's a well made, quality product at a good price point. Never understood the hate lol.

12/15/19 2:09 PM
3/14/04
theken206 - 
angryinch -
theken206 - 
angryinch -
chad_mcjangle - 
angryinch - 
billyball2 - 
angryinch - 
Nitecrawler -

This is incorrect.

ATF and Gunbroker

I'm not even captain glock. I've carried Sigs and HKs and custom 1911s far more than Glocks lol.. My next pick up is a 19 mos with an MMR though lol. Fair enough point. Still hard to argue that Glocks havent been some of the best selling line of pistols for well over the past decade. Not hard to look at Govt contracts, who is using them etc and venture a guess at why. It's a well made, quality product at a good price point. Never understood the hate lol.

I don't know if the ATF stats include govt issue guns but when a govt agent has a firearm mishap, chances are we'll never hear about it.

A simple google search will come up with a bunch of reports of Glocks going off unintentionally. Sure, some are no doubt negligent discharges, but there are several that aren't. And again, if we're going to use the argument that the number of a particular type of gun in use will show a proportional number of accidental or negligent discharges, then based on the best selling guns, you would see many more reports of S&W, Ruger, Sig, etc.. having these types of unintentional discharges than Glocks. But we don't see that. We see more reports of Glocks even though there are fewer of them out there.

12/15/19 2:10 PM
3/14/04

BTW, a govt contract for a purchase of any type of product has absolutely fuck all to do with how well made the product is.

12/15/19 2:15 PM
1/1/01
KaepernicksTheAppleOfMyEye -
Braf Zachland -

So what i learned is a glock can easily have something move the trigger which fires the gun, meaning someone is handling it and it fires. So it doesnt fire "by itself" at least someone gave an explanation. Or are there cases of people hearing a gun go off on a gun safe because it goes off itself due to mechanical failure as someone suggested?

Literally nobody suggested that, glocks triggers are fucking stupid, and anyone who carries one is risking everybody around thems lives too

Angryinch literally suggested that. 

12/15/19 3:20 PM
7/15/04

I can't believe some people don't carry with one in the chamber.

You know can buy a pistol that is DA/SA AND has a safety on it.

There is no way in holy fuck that thing is going off even if you are negligent and "bump" the trigger.

And flipping the safety off and pulling the double action/single action (a very safe mechanism) is infinitely better than not chambering a round.

Edited: 12/15/19 3:21 PM
7/15/04

Also (most) all modern pistols have a firing pin block. There is a small plate blocking the firing pin from hitting the primer. The plate only moves after the trigger has been pulled all the way back, enabling the firing pin to hit the primer.

12/15/19 3:25 PM
7/12/03
Mr Spliff - 

I feel like if you do an accidental discharge there should be like a penalty of some kind against you

Shooting yourself is punishment enough. Maybe if you shoot someone else or destroy their property.
12/15/19 3:31 PM
7/12/03
mikethecricket - 
RamRamCHOKEDonACUÑAsJRsizedJOHNSON -
Nitecrawler -

Jesus Christ I am glad I don't live in a place where people pack a sidearm when they go for lunch.

Is your office in Iraq or Somalia or something?

In the US many people do, you just never know it until something like this happens or they shoot a criminal.
12/15/19 3:46 PM
8/7/07
angryinch -
theken206 - 
angryinch -
theken206 - 
angryinch -
chad_mcjangle - 
angryinch - 
billyball2 - 
angryinch - 
Nitecrawler -

This is incorrect.

ATF and Gunbroker

I don't know if the ATF stats include govt issue guns but when a govt agent has a firearm mishap, chances are we'll never hear about it.

A simple google search will come up with a bunch of reports of Glocks going off unintentionally. Sure, some are no doubt negligent discharges, but there are several that aren't. And again, if we're going to use the argument that the number of a particular type of gun in use will show a proportional number of accidental or negligent discharges, then based on the best selling guns, you would see many more reports of S&W, Ruger, Sig, etc.. having these types of unintentional discharges than Glocks. But we don't see that. We see more reports of Glocks even though there are fewer of them out there.

Show me me account of this happening with why it happened. Ive never seen any other than "it just went off" accounts from dumb asses with bady handling practices. You do know how a striker fired pistol works right? So your saying there are multiple accounts of the trigger bar failing with glocks? Are you saying they arent drop safe?

12/15/19 3:52 PM
8/7/07
TexDeuce - I can't believe some people don't carry with one in the chamber.

You know can buy a pistol that is DA/SA AND has a safety on it.

There is no way in holy fuck that thing is going off even if you are negligent and "bump" the trigger.

And flipping the safety off and pulling the double action/single action (a very safe mechanism) is infinitely better than not chambering a round.

To add to that most modern semi auto DA/SA pistols have de cocking levers anyway. And yeah once again if you arent carrying with on up top you need to reevaluate your training practices and not carry a weapon until you are comfortable carrying it with one in the pipe.

12/15/19 4:59 PM
5/15/15

Scares the crap out of me the idea some people go to lunch, grab a loaded gun and go for something to eat.

I'm all for owning a gun, especially for home safety... I know I live in the UK so not as likely as the US. But I've never ever had a time in my life where I'd consider an unloaded gun let alone a loaded one. Rarely had a time where a punch was actually 100% required...

Who goes out to grab a sandwich with part of their mind being willing to kill another human on that break time?!?

12/15/19 5:01 PM
12/29/03
moogin83 -

Scares the crap out of me the idea some people go to lunch, grab a loaded gun and go for something to eat.

I'm all for owning a gun, especially for home safety... I know I live in the UK so not as likely as the US. But I've never ever had a time in my life where I'd consider an unloaded gun let alone a loaded one. Rarely had a time where a punch was actually 100% required...

Who goes out to grab a sandwich with part of their mind being willing to kill another human on that break time?!?

Someone who isn't willing to die a victim. 

12/15/19 5:37 PM
2/28/13

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH Phone Post

12/15/19 5:50 PM
3/10/11
YaoMingia -
moogin83 -

Douchebags. Most likely driving a pickup truck

I drive a Subaru BRZ.

12/15/19 6:04 PM
2/28/13
badpvtdan -
YaoMingia -
moogin83 -

I drive a Subaru BRZ.

Looks like I nailed the douchebag part 

12/15/19 8:29 PM
12/16/00
moogin83 - 

You can't call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
Edited: 12/15/19 10:37 PM
4/21/09
YaoMingia -
moogin83 -

It's pretty obvious you don't work or live in the finest of Democratic run cities where murders and robberies happen daily. 

I would never go to the city where my office if located without my gun. 

Birmingham, AL is one of the most violent cities in America. I'll let you conclude the demographic of the people that live there and the government that runs the city.

12/15/19 10:36 PM
11/17/10
YaoMingia -
badpvtdan -
YaoMingia -
moogin83 -

I drive a Subaru BRZ.

Looks like I nailed the douchebag part 

lol

seriously, though, i believe you are talking to a man that served as a Ranger