OtherGround Forums Guy shot 11 times point blank while PATRIOT films

Edited: 9 days ago
11/24/13

Link since YouTube won't embed due to age restriction: http://youtu.be/watch?&v=yLw85OPH1fY

Oh wait, that's not how it usually works... Hmm..

9 days ago
3/17/14

Cant see shit.

9 days ago
11/24/13

A BolaWrap would have easily detained this person without the use of deadly force.

9 days ago
11/24/13
BruteDion -

Cant see shit.

You have to click on the video in the OP. Youtube has an age restriction thing on the video.

9 days ago
3/17/14

So some new technology has come out that helps not only the cop do their jobs but also do it in a way that keeps the suspect alive?

Sounds like the last thing we need to do is defund the police.

9 days ago
1/1/01

9 days ago
12/3/03
Nytron -

A BolaWrap would have easily detained this person without the use of deadly force.

uh and poeple laughed at my NET idea on the other thread

LMFAO. my prescriptions are always intuitively correct

the BOLA is a variation of the NET.

now it's being used and it works.

9 days ago
9/5/12

Yeah, we already discussed this 3 weeks ago.

Edited: 9 days ago
11/24/13
BruteDion -

So some new technology has come out that helps not only the cop do their jobs but also do it in a way that keeps the suspect alive?

Sounds like the last thing we need to do is defund the police.

BATF and the police need to be demilitarized. SWAT exists for that reason. BolaWraps are not prohibitively expensive, reallocating resources away from military grade equipment and towards BolaWrap and overall training is a better use of resources

Here's a good copypasta from Kenji Alt-Lopez to defeat this strawman. No UGer has formulated a substantive reply to this yet, they all avoid it:

I'm getting a lot of comments on the brief comment I made about how I agree with “defund the police”, so I think it might make sense to explain what that means. It doesn't mean we should abolish the police. Rather, it means that right now, the police are expected to do work that falls far outside of what they are trained and hired to do. 90% of police responses are for non-violent events that, in most cases, would be better served by other trained professionals. Study after study has shown that increases in education budgets and social services are what lead to less crime and violence, not increases to police presence or budgets. Let the police focus on what they are good at, and leave the other stuff to people actually trained for the job. This would serve the dual purpose of bettering society as a whole, as well as decreasing the workload and stress of the police officers we do retain.

"Defund the police" really translates to "reallocate some of the budget currently used for police departments to programs that would decrease the workload on the police force, allow them to focus on the things they are actually good at, and get more people the kind of help they need, thereby reducing violent crime and violent confrontation to produce a win-win situation for all of society."*

It has worked in several cities, and it can work in many more.

If you want further reading, here are a number of sources that explain the concept. I'm including sources from across the political spectrum, as this should not be a partisan issue:

Brookings Institute (Centrist): https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2020/06/19/what-does-defund-the-police-mean-and-does-it-have-merit/
Fox Business (Right-leaning): https://www.foxbusiness.com/life />The Cut (Left-leaning): https://www.thecut.com/2020/06/what-does-defund-the-police-mean-the-phrase-explained.html
ACLU (Civil libertarian): https://www.aclu.org/news/criminal-law-reform/defunding-the-police-will-actually-make-us-safer/

EDIT: Folks questioning the "90% of calls are for nonviolent crimes" stat, here is a New York Times article on it (you can think the NYT is a left wing publication, but their stats are accurately researched), which shows that cops spend less than 5% of their time on violent crimes, and that in most cities, less than 1% of calls are for violent crimes: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/19/up...

*with a few big exceptions, such as those who currently exploit the prison-industrial complex to gain capital through the incarceration of folks who could very easily be productive members of society if they were allowed to be.

9 days ago
12/3/03

this is suicide by cop

you are seeing more and more of this due to the stress of the covid lockdowns

covid lockdowns are killing people and causing suicides at such a large scale the NUMBERS ARE NOT EVEN BEING REPORTED ANYMORE

9 days ago
7/31/09

I Click said video to watch on YouTube due to age restriction yet this app won't allow my clicking of the video to work. 

9 days ago
11/24/13
Kings21 -

I Click said video to watch on YouTube due to age restriction yet this app won't allow my clicking of the video to work. 

Here's a link: http://youtu.be/watch?&v=yLw85OPH1fY

9 days ago
1/1/01
Police have shit training for responding to mental health emergencies. I'm all for mobile crisis teams. But fact is most of them that exist... only exist on paper.

Good luck getting the psychiatrist who lives 45 minutes away out of bed at 2AM.
9 days ago
2/24/11

So many conflicting reactions...  

The guy filming is what is wrong with society. Fuck people like that.  

The sheriff could have tried to aim for the knees. If one single leg kick can take a man out I can't imagine what 11 rounds would do.  

I feel sorry for him because he seemed in over his head and reluctant to kill him but as soon as he got hit hard with the branch, he panicked. 

The attacker... he might be suffering from some sort of mental illness but if he doesn't it’s hard to feel sorry for him. Do not charge/attack someone with a gun pointed at you. 

This video is fucked up.

9 days ago
8/11/12
EVILYOSHIDA -
Nytron -

uh and poeple laughed at my NET idea on the other thread

LMFAO. my prescriptions are always intuitively correct

the BOLA is a variation of the NET.

now it's being used and it works.

Lol I was one of those people, yeah it does seem to work on this one video and it needs a lot more real time uses in the field. I want to see that shit stop a 6’4” 285lb linebacker before it gets the stamp of approval but yeah it’s a great start and a much better alternative to shooting, if it’s actually proven to work consistently. When you’re right you’re right.

9 days ago
1/1/01
EVILYOSHIDA -

this is suicide by cop

you are seeing more and more of this due to the stress of the covid lockdowns

covid lockdowns are killing people and causing suicides at such a large scale the NUMBERS ARE NOT EVEN BEING REPORTED ANYMORE

Reported numbers aren't accurate, just manipulated and created to support an agenda.

Am i doing it right?

9 days ago
1/7/06

I think it’s funny when ppl say “he was shot so many times!” as if it makes a difference. When you pull your weapon and fire, the intention is to kill. The amount of rounds is irrelevant as to whether or not it was a justified kill

9 days ago
9/5/12
GrindOnLine -

The sheriff could have tried to aim for the knees. If one single leg kick can take a man out I can't imagine what 11 rounds would do.  

I feel sorry for him because he seemed in over his head and reluctant to kill him but as soon as he got hit hard with the branch, he panicked. 

The attacker... he might be suffering from some sort of mental illness but if he doesn't it’s hard to feel sorry for him. Do not charge/attack someone with a gun pointed at you. 

This video is fucked up.

My problem is what is a leg shot going to do when the guy was shot multiple times and still coming forward.

9 days ago
8/15/07
GrindOnLine - 

This video is fucked up.

Mental illness is not a free pass to ignore an officer's orders or to act in a manner inconsistent with that deemed lawful by society. Either you have mental illness and still retain the cognizance necessary to be left unsupervised, or you do not retain the cognizance necessary for this freedom and should always be supervised and/or institutionalized.
9 days ago
12/17/06
GrindOnLine -

This video is fucked up.

You just said to fire 11 shots at the legs.

So it's obvious you: 

A - have never fired a weapon

B - have no understanding of human anatomy

What you suggested is absurd in terms of practical shooting and likely just as fatal.