OtherGround Forums HK416/417 Build Club

9/28/20 2:18 PM
8/7/12
fiznadd -

^^ looks good!

Here's an update from the letter I sent to ATF:

"This is in reply to your recent email to the Firearms Industry Programs Branch (FIPB) Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) asking about the lawfulness of importing HK Model 416 component parts from Germany.

An approved import permit ATF Form 6, Application and Permit for Importation of Firearms, Ammunition and Implements of War, is required to import firearms parts into the
United States and allows the importation of the articles listed on the form. A permit is valid for one year from its approved date.

An unlicensed person may obtain a permit to import sporting ammunition (excluding armor-piercing, tracer, or incendiary ammunition) and firearm parts (other than frames,
receivers, firearm barrels, or barreled actions) without engaging the services of an FFL, provided the items are for personal use and not for resale. Generally, ATF cannot issue a
permit authorizing the importation of firearms barrels for nonsporting or surplus military firearms.

Be advised that the importation of certain firearms parts and related items is prohibited.

To insure the part or parts you wish to obtain are importable and for more information in general you should contact our Imports Branch directly.

Firearms & Explosives Imports Branch
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, West Virginia 25405
Voice: (304) 616-4550
We thank you for your inquiry and trust that this has been responsive.

How long did it take them to send you a response?

9/28/20 2:37 PM
10/31/10

What about the 516?

sig claims is better, they brought in H&K

engineers and improved upon it.

What y’all think 

9/28/20 4:06 PM
1/23/14
baj54 - 
fiznadd -

^^ looks good!

"This is in reply to your recent email to the Firearms Industry Programs Branch (FIPB) Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) asking about the lawfulness of importing HK Model 416 component parts from Germany.

An approved import permit ATF Form 6, Application and Permit for Importation of Firearms, Ammunition and Implements of War, is required to import firearms parts into the
United States and allows the importation of the articles listed on the form. A permit is valid for one year from its approved date.

An unlicensed person may obtain a permit to import sporting ammunition (excluding armor-piercing, tracer, or incendiary ammunition) and firearm parts (other than frames,
receivers, firearm barrels, or barreled actions) without engaging the services of an FFL, provided the items are for personal use and not for resale. Generally, ATF cannot issue a
permit authorizing the importation of firearms barrels for nonsporting or surplus military firearms.

Be advised that the importation of certain firearms parts and related items is prohibited.

To insure the part or parts you wish to obtain are importable and for more information in general you should contact our Imports Branch directly.

244 Needy Road

4 days

9/28/20 5:56 PM
6/13/03

Are you planning on selling? You shouldnt need one for personal items.

9/28/20 7:43 PM
1/23/14
Sogsteel - 

Selling my HK build? Hell naaaah.

So dumb that down for me sog -- can I import all lower parts to TX, minus the receiver?

9/29/20 1:29 AM
7/14/16
fiznadd -
baj54 - 
fiznadd -

^^ looks good!

244 Needy Road

4 days

Thanks for the info.  What parts are you looking to import?

Edited: 9/29/20 2:19 AM
6/13/03
fiznadd -
Sogsteel - 

So dumb that down for me sog -- can I import all lower parts to TX, minus the receiver?

Im not an expert by any means. But plent of people have imported entire AK kits besides barrel and reciever to the US from Russia when I collected them. They usually do it in batches.

I have imported from Germany and it seems like export from there is the larger hurdle. It took like 8 months for German gun works to get the export paperwork approved for some small items

9/29/20 1:02 PM
1/23/14
Sogsteel - 
fiznadd -
Sogsteel - 

Im not an expert by any means. But plent of people have imported entire AK kits besides barrel and reciever to the US from Russia when I collected them. They usually do it in batches.

I have imported from Germany and it seems like export from there is the larger hurdle. It took like 8 months for German gun works to get the export paperwork approved for some small items

I would LOVE to have everything by November or December, so I'll probably stick within the US then. TY sir.

9/29/20 1:18 PM
1/23/14
Y Not - 
fiznadd -
baj54 - 
fiznadd -

^^ looks good!

244 Needy Road

4 days

Thanks for the info.  What parts are you looking to import?

To be honest, I wasn't even really sure when I sent the email, ha. I just got to the part where the rest of what I need is getting more scarce and marked up, so I wanted a backup plan. Another interest was to see if I could save some money buying some parts directly from Germany (and shipping it here with the most affordable, secure option), but I don't think possibly waiting 8 months is worth it.

9/29/20 9:01 PM
7/14/16
Sogsteel -

Lastly here is some progress on the 417 build this weekend

Looking good!  Who do you recommend for anodizing?  My lower finally showed up today.  

Edited: 9/29/20 10:47 PM
6/13/03
Y Not -
Sogsteel -

Looking good!  Who do you recommend for anodizing?  My lower finally showed up today.  

I used SNF Finishing and they were a pleasure to work with

http://www.snffinishing.com/

Ed Hewey was my contact

9/29/20 10:47 PM
7/27/04
P749 -

What about the 516?

What y’all think 

Discontinued right?I think the 716 is what sig has left

9/29/20 11:26 PM
1/23/14
Sogsteel - 
Y Not -
Sogsteel -

Ed Hewey was my contact

Once your HK416 is complete, would you happen to be the biggest HK collector on the forum?

9/29/20 11:30 PM
1/23/14
EKPOGI - 
P749 -

What about the 516?

What y’all think 

They all look pretty similar, and I bet they all function pretty much the same...but for some reason...

I want ALL OF THEM.

9/29/20 11:39 PM
1/23/14

How much does it generally cost to anodize? 

9/29/20 11:40 PM
6/13/03
fiznadd -
Sogsteel - 
Y Not -
Sogsteel -

Ed Hewey was my contact

Once your HK416 is complete, would you happen to be the biggest HK collector on the forum?

Not sure. But thats a 417 :D

I have a couple german MP5 kits as well. But there are way bigger collectors out there. My AK collection dwarfs my HK.

9/29/20 11:43 PM
6/13/03
fiznadd -

I paid like $200 for upper, lower, charging handle, and buffer tube.

The buffer tube didnt really turn out though

Edited: 9/30/20 12:12 AM
1/23/14
Sogsteel - 
fiznadd -
Sogsteel - 
Y Not -
Sogsteel -

Ed Hewey was my contact

Not sure. But thats a 417 :D

I have a couple german MP5 kits as well. But there are way bigger collectors out there. My AK collection dwarfs my HK.

Ah I quoted the wrong one, was actually for Y Not -- I think I saw him post 5 USPs, most likely has the VP9, and he's working on the 416.

But, hotdamn, 2 german MP5 kits?? I need the 10mm one from HKParts very badly.

9/30/20 12:14 AM
1/23/14
Sogsteel - 
fiznadd -

I paid like $200 for upper, lower, charging handle, and buffer tube.

The buffer tube didnt really turn out though

Nice, definitely worth it.

9/30/20 6:55 PM
1/23/14

Ahhh yeah! Just checked a gang of SKUs with Brownells, and most of the stuff that is on backorder will arrive mid-October to the end of October! 

10/7/20 5:56 PM
3/3/12

10/7/20 5:57 PM
3/3/12
Ruben Blades -

Changed it up, still need the can.

10/7/20 7:46 PM
1/9/10
EKPOGI - 
P749 -

What about the 516?

What y’all think 

The 516 is officially discontinued, but for some reason batches of the 516 upper keep showing up.AIM Surplus has been going in and out of stock the last couple months.

https://aimsurplus.com/sig-sauer-sig-516-gen-2-short-stroke-gas-piston-223-5-56-ar-upper-receiver-group/
10/7/20 9:34 PM
1/23/14
Ruben Blades - 
Ruben Blades -

Changed it up, still need the can.

Dayam that's nice

10/7/20 10:14 PM
7/27/04
Ruben Blades -

Damn nice