OtherGround Forums Harry Connick Jr Schools Jennifer Lopez

5 days ago
8/7/19
When a real musician works with a pop musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH9l8KlcuBA

Le Shat
©
5 days ago
10/31/19

Lol good for him! Love HC jr.

5 days ago
6/27/18

5 days ago
8/20/03
Edited: 5 days ago
8/20/03

Keith Urban is probably a decent muscian.

J-Lo should stick to dancing and paying people to write her music.

Harry Connick Jr. can do and say whatever he wants.

5 days ago
7/26/07
I don't consider acts like Jennifer Lopez and Beyonce "musicians"

They are performers.

There's a difference.
5 days ago
11/1/03

I was hoping there would be a spanking involved.

5 days ago
1/1/01

How the fuck is it even possible for someone to be a musician and never heard of the pentatonic scale? 

5 days ago
7/26/07
tjmitch - 

How the fuck is it even possible for someone to be a musician and never heard of the pentatonic scale? 

Because she's not a musician.

she's probably never actually written a piece of music in her life.

Maybe come up with lyrics to someone else's music, but that's it.

She was a dancer, turned actress, turned pop star.

There's no actual musicianship there...i bet she shakes her ass way better than Harry Connick Jr though, lol
5 days ago
6/27/18

How does someone who calls herself a musician not know about the pentatonic scale?

Jennifer Lopez should feel embarrassed. She should, but you know she doesn't.

Harry Connick Jr is a jazz trained master and has probably known about pentatonics since he was five years old. That's not an exaggeration, he was playing with the New Orleans symphony and jamming with Eubie Blake by the time he was 10.

Imagine having that kind of skill and then having explain music to a clueless egotistical pop singer.

Respect to J-Lo for her ambition, she built a hell of a career for herself and she still looks great. But this is what happens when you put an "artist" from the hip hop world next to a real musician.

5 days ago
3/5/14

I'm more confused than anything by what people find compelling about these singing competition shows.  They've been going on costantly on TV or about 20 years now.  I don't get what people are impressed with or amused by.

Its mostly people who just sing other people's songs well.  All I've gleaned from the few times I've seen these shows is that there are a shit ton of people who can do that well. Why is it impressive when someone can sing covers well? 

How about have people play instruments while singing and write their own songs?  That seems infinately more impressive and difficult to me.  I doubt I would watch, but at least I would give those people credit.  I feel like every high school choir in the country probably has some random kid who can sing covers well enough to be on one of these shows.  Why are people so impressed by such a common talent? 

5 days ago
8/20/03
5 days ago
7/26/07
Hurtsogood - 

I'm more confused than anything by what people find compelling about these singing competition shows.  They've been going on costantly on TV or about 20 years now.  I don't get what people are impressed with or amused by.

Its mostly people who just sing other people's songs well.  All I've gleaned from the few times I've seen these shows is that there are a shit ton of people who can do that well. Why is it impressive when someone can sing covers well? 

How about have people play instruments while singing and write their own songs?  That seems infinately more impressive and difficult to me.  I doubt I would watch, but at least I would give those people credit.  I feel like every high school choir in the country probably has some random kid who can sing covers well enough to be on one of these shows.  Why are people so impressed by such a common talent? 

Those shows are super fucking annoying to me.
5 days ago
8/20/03
Hurtsogood - 

Good points.

Being able to sing and knowing HOW to sing are not always the same.

Seeing mostly women run up and down a scale while singing a song and seeing how loud they can belt it out doesn't impress me.

I honeslt ywatched the season for Harry Connick Jr alone.

That guy is awesome and he really put people in their place in a good way.

5 days ago
3/5/14
Chimonos Revenge -
Hurtsogood - 

Those shows are super fucking annoying to me.

Yea, me too. And I understand what the original draw was.  It was a cool idea in like 1999.  Now its run its course about 500 times over and people still watch this shit.  It confuses and troubles me.

5 days ago
11/23/11
jpm995 -

I was hoping there would be a spanking involved.

PREFERABLY WITH A STUDDED BLACK LEATHER BELT

5 days ago
3/5/14
Captain Canuck -
Hurtsogood - 

Good points.

Being able to sing and knowing HOW to sing are not always the same.

Seeing mostly women run up and down a scale while singing a song and seeing how loud they can belt it out doesn't impress me.

I honeslt ywatched the season for Harry Connick Jr alone.

That guy is awesome and he really put people in their place in a good way.

I did see a couple of episodes with that guy because wife wanted to watch it for some reason and I agree he was the only thing of interest on that show.  And the thing is, I respect when people can sing well, but its not that rare or impressive.  I can't sing worth a shit, but there is a world of difference between someone who's good at what basically amounts to glorified kareoke and someone who can not only sing, but play various instruments and compose their own music.  That shit shouldn't even be placed in the same category or existence.  For some reason people are still impressed with the dozens of people they run through these shows every season, though. 

5 days ago
11/15/04

HC, Jr. has life by the balls...didn't he also marry a victoria secret model or something like that?

5 days ago
11/9/17
Chimonos Revenge - I don't consider acts like Jennifer Lopez and Beyonce "musicians"

They are performers.

There's a difference.

BOOM!
5 days ago
12/30/03

I'm pretty sure that anyone who has spent any time in a studio has learned a scale or two. I think J-lo was being obtuse to play to the every man watching at home. 

"Hell ya, brother. That's why I like that J-Lo. She just sing from the heart." 

5 days ago
7/26/07
WrestlingSucks - 

I'm pretty sure that anyone who has spent any time in a studio has learned a scale or two. I think J-lo was being obtuse to play to the every man watching at home. 

"Hell ya, brother. That's why I like that J-Lo. She just sing from the heart." 

She's just Jenny from the Block!
5 days ago
10/31/19
LiveWire -

HC, Jr. has life by the balls...didn't he also marry a victoria secret model or something like that?

Yep! Jill goodacre, she was featured on a friend's episode. They're happily married too. 

5 days ago
7/31/19

one day he is going to piss off jennifer lopez to the point she pulls off his hairpiece

5 days ago
1/1/01
Captain Canuck - 

Keith Urban is probably a decent muscian.

J-Lo should stick to dancing and paying people to write her music.

Harry Connick Jr. can do and say whatever he wants.

Those clips were wonderful and I completely agree about Harry Connick Jr. 

5 days ago
10/3/12

Maybe someone should play him the video of Jennifer singing with her husband at that award show. She has awful pitch outside the confines of a studio. She isn’t a musician, she’s a dancer who made a living off sex appeal and will be worthless when it wears off. Keith was right to keep his mouth shut.