OtherGround Forums Heroin use explodes...

7/7/15 10:39 PM
1/1/01
Personally I blame Kurt Cobain...

Heroin overdose deaths in the United States nearly quadrupled between 2002 and 2013, fueled by lower costs as well as increased abuse of prescription opiate painkillers, U.S. health officials said on Tuesday.

The report found that heroin use increased by 63 percent from 2002 to 2013. In 2013, roughly 517,000 people reported that they had used heroin in the last year, a 150 percent increase from 2007. As many as 8,200 people died from heroin overdoses in 2013 alone.

Such medicines, which include Vicodin, OxyContin and Percocet, increase individuals’ susceptibility to heroin addiction, Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told Reuters.

“Everything we see points to more accessible, less-expensive heroin all over the country,” Frieden said of the joint report by the CDC and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration which analyzed national survey data on drug use from 2002 to 2013.

The report found that nearly all people (96 percent) who use heroin also use multiple other substances, and that the strongest risk factor for heroin abuse is prescription opiate abuse. In recent years people in nearly every demographic group are using the drug more: For example, heroin use has doubled among women.

According to the report, individuals who abuse prescription opiates have a 40 times greater risk of abusing heroin. The increased use has fueled sharp increases in overdose deaths.

Frieden said reversing the trend will require an “all-society response” to improve opioid prescribing practices and expand access to effective treatment, increasing the use of drugs such as naloxone to reverse drug overdoses and working with law enforcement partners such as the Drug Enforcement Administration to disrupt the supply of heroin.

“There are lots of people who have not yet gotten an opiate and we need to protect them from the risk of getting addicted,” Frieden said.

He said doctors are prescribing “way too much of these medications, and the result of it is large numbers of people who are addicted.” Phone Post 3.0
7/7/15 10:52 PM
8/13/09
When states started cracking down on painkillers addicts just switched to real smack. Should have seen that coming Phone Post 3.0
7/7/15 10:53 PM
3/11/14
Not surprised. Noticed a spike in heroin use once they discontinued oc oxys and put out those OP oxys that were nearly impossible to snort or shoot or smoke. Time released over a period of 12 hrs and shit. At the same time heroin got a lot cheaper and seemed a whole lot easier to get
7/7/15 10:53 PM
4/14/12
As someone in EMS, we are pushing Naloxone (narcan) (reverses opiate effects) more than ever, and having to give bigger doses than ever.

Heroin is getting cheaper, more potent, more plentiful, and easier to obtain than ever before. Rarely is there a day where we don't get an OD call.

It's getting out of hand to say the least. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/15 10:57 PM
12/1/07
none of this is new information. Big pharma are a bunch of scumbags. One of the companies that makes oxys changed their formula so if it was snorted it would turn to paste in the nasal cavity and make the user physically ill. When they werent' making as much money bc people couldnt get as high they changed their formula back.
But ya street dealers are the real bad guys
7/7/15 10:58 PM
10/4/14
bro bro bro - Painkillers are too expensive. Phone Post 3.0
This! People get hooked on pills, then when they can't get or afford the pills anymore they switch to heroin. Same thing happened to my ex. She eventually ended up in jail, then rehab, then back in jail. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/15 11:00 PM
3/11/14
OGT - As someone in EMS, we are pushing Naloxone (narcan) (reverses opiate effects) more than ever, and having to give bigger doses than ever.

Heroin is getting cheaper, more potent, more plentiful, and easier to obtain than ever before. Rarely is there a day where we don't get an OD call.

Is it true that people will refuse the narcan shots because it gives that person full on withdrawal symptoms instantly? Ive heard stories that people bug out on paramedics for giving them the shot and saving their life because of this
7/7/15 11:01 PM
11/18/09
lurking_thee_lurker14 - Not surprised. Noticed a spike in heroin use once they discontinued oc oxys and put out those OP oxys that were nearly impossible to snort or shoot or smoke. Time released over a period of 12 hrs and shit. At the same time heroin got a lot cheaper and seemed a whole lot easier to get

This and just the Price of OCs alone is the single biggest reason....thats what got me and all my friends
7/7/15 11:04 PM
11/18/09
lurking_thee_lurker14 - 
OGT - As someone in EMS, we are pushing Naloxone (narcan) (reverses opiate effects) more than ever, and having to give bigger doses than ever.

Is it true that people will refuse the narcan shots because it gives that person full on withdrawal symptoms instantly? Ive heard stories that people bug out on paramedics for giving them the shot and saving their life because of this

ive had more than one narcan shot and that never happened, although ive heard that too...it kills your high but you get it back usually. the narcan in suboxone will throw you into WD if you dont wait long enough to take it tho....worst feeling of my life
7/7/15 11:11 PM
3/11/14
PhillyFights - 
lurking_thee_lurker14 - Not surprised. Noticed a spike in heroin use once they discontinued oc oxys and put out those OP oxys that were nearly impossible to snort or shoot or smoke. Time released over a period of 12 hrs and shit. At the same time heroin got a lot cheaper and seemed a whole lot easier to get

This and just the Price of OCs alone is the single biggest reason....thats what got me and all my friends

Sup philly. Good to see you still posting man. Hope you staying away from them corners.

Yah us too man. Once OPs hit the market that same week everybody jumped to black. Cheaper, withdrawals arent as bad so why not we thought. Nope, its the same shit just buying more of it to get that high we got from oc80s. Real dark time of my life. Glad i got out when i did
7/7/15 11:13 PM
4/14/12
lurking_thee_lurker14 -

Dude people will straight up try and fight you 30 seconds after you push it, from unconscious to angry and ready to brawl in 20-30 seconds. I wouldn't say it induces withdrawal symptoms but it's pretty common for them to start shivering like really crazy once they snap out of it.

We have had people refuse care after we bring them back from the dead essentially, and multiple times for me alone we have come back 30 minutes later when the narcan wears off and they revert right back to barely or not breathing.

People will literally hate you for saving their life, it's mind blowing.

Side story, guy I know brought a girl back with narcan and she starts immediately going on a rant about the dick she had to suck to get her stuff. Pathetic and funny at the same time. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/15 11:16 PM
4/14/12
^forgot to add, I've never had to get permission to push or had someone refuse narcan because they are always unconscious/unresponsive when we get on scene.

If you are in an altered mental status you pretty much forfeit the right to refuse anything. After we push the narcan if you can tell me your name, the date, and where you are, then I legally can't give you treatment if you refuse it. If you can't answer one of those then I can do whatever I see fit. Phone Post 3.0
7/7/15 11:27 PM
1/1/01
Teens can get hog easier than alchy Phone Post 3.0
7/7/15 11:30 PM
4/6/09
That's because prices dropped to weed prices Phone Post 3.0
7/7/15 11:53 PM
11/18/09
PhillyFights - 
lurking_thee_lurker14 - 

ive had more than one narcan shot and that never happened, although ive heard that too...it kills your high but you get it back usually. the narcan in suboxone will throw you into WD if you dont wait long enough to take it tho....worst feeling of my life

i have tried to fight the paramedic/doctors tho....its just this panic reflex that kicks in instantly when you wake up.....ive also had times waking up where i couldnt stand up and literally didnt know my name or where i lived....its a crazy feeling, and one reason im skeptical of "near death light at the end of the tunnel" stories
7/8/15 12:01 AM
11/18/09
OGT - 
lurking_thee_lurker14 -

Dude people will straight up try and fight you 30 seconds after you push it, from unconscious to angry and ready to brawl in 20-30 seconds. I wouldn't say it induces withdrawal symptoms but it's pretty common for them to start shivering like really crazy once they snap out of it.

We have had people refuse care after we bring them back from the dead essentially, and multiple times for me alone we have come back 30 minutes later when the narcan wears off and they revert right back to barely or not breathing.

Side story, guy I know brought a girl back with narcan and she starts immediately going on a rant about the dick she had to suck to get her stuff. Pathetic and funny at the same time. Phone Post 3.0

didnt see this before i posted, but....yup.

never sucked a cock, but my first thought was always "i just went thru all that to get high, wtf". Fighting the paramedics was more of a fight/flight thing than anything else
7/8/15 12:03 AM
3/11/14
OGT - 
lurking_thee_lurker14 -

Thats crazy. Save their life just to get punched in the face! Respect man. Here have a VU!
7/8/15 12:05 AM
1/1/01
Bring them into the light so that those who want help can get it. It's still a personal choice though, no different than riding a motorcycle. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/15 12:06 AM
5/30/05
Thank the guys in Langley. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/15 12:08 AM
3/17/03
I thought only dregs and movie characters did smack. Then several of my friends got addicted straight out of high school. Weird. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/15 12:10 AM
11/18/09
I remember waking up in the back of an ambulance in Washington DC and there 4 paramedics. 3 dudes and one smokin hot spanish chick. When I woke up all three dudes had both hands on me like they were waiting for me to spaz out. the chick was just mean mugging me so hard. i told the guys i was cool and wasnt gonna freak out. the girl started saying shit like "we shoulda left you there". one of the guys looked at her like "jesus even i think thats harsh. shut the fuck up". i think she really woulda left me there
7/8/15 12:12 AM
11/18/09
Onikage - I thought only dregs and movie characters did smack. Then several of my friends got addicted straight out of high school. Weird. Phone Post 3.0

i said this on here before, but ive gotten high for years with a nationally famous politicians kid and a VERY high ranking city officials kid......the fuckin coach of the eagles 2 sons were coppin dope in n orth philly every day
7/8/15 12:12 AM
4/14/12
PhillyFights -
OGT - 
lurking_thee_lurker14 -

didnt see this before i posted, but....yup.

never sucked a cock, but my first thought was always "i just went thru all that to get high, wtf". Fighting the paramedics was more of a fight/flight thing than anything else
Yeah some of us kind of understand it's somewhat a natural reaction, you're waking up randomly sober with some dude you've never seen hovering over you, typically trying to bag you, which is also pretty uncomfortable.

I've traned enough to not have a real problem with combatives, that part can actually be fun sometimes, 95% of the time the police are on scene anyway. It's the shit talking that is pretty aggravating, especially if we were woken up to come resurrect their ungrateful ass lol. Phone Post 3.0
7/8/15 12:14 AM
4/14/12
lurking_thee_lurker14 -
OGT - 
lurking_thee_lurker14 -

Thats crazy. Save their life just to get punched in the face! Respect man. Here have a VU!
Thanks brotha! One for you as well Phone Post 3.0
7/8/15 12:19 AM
4/14/12
PhillyFights - I remember waking up in the back of an ambulance in Washington DC and there 4 paramedics. 3 dudes and one smokin hot spanish chick. When I woke up all three dudes had both hands on me like they were waiting for me to spaz out. the chick was just mean mugging me so hard. i told the guys i was cool and wasnt gonna freak out. the girl started saying shit like "we shoulda left you there". one of the guys looked at her like "jesus even i think thats harsh. shut the fuck up". i think she really woulda left me there
Some medics, especially firefighters have zero tolerance/sympathy for ODs. The most lippy I've ever seen coworkers is dealing with addicts.

She just wanted to make you feel bad, you can't neglect a 911 just because it's someone who did something to themselves. There is no way she would get away with leaving you lol, that's abandonment. Big no no, if you survived anyway you'd have yourself a free lawsuit. Phone Post 3.0