OtherGround Forums Hezbollah getting precision guided missiles:Uh Oh

Edited: 17 days ago
6/13/09
cruedi - 

This talk has been going on for generations, no reason this ia anything  but another BS story.  Israel’s neighbors know what will happen if they do anything like this.  They claim it’s a rocks vs guns conflict to gain sympathy, if they launch real missiles they’ll pay the price.  

Man, I wish it was that simple cruedi. Sometimes technological changes can have profound impacts.

If Hezbollah has thousands of these new cheap highly accurate missiles, it changes the whole equation.

Israel won't be able to take that first hit anymore...because now it would be a knockout punch.

"if they launch real missiles they’ll pay the price"

^ Yes, Hezbollah would pay the price. They'd probably get wiped out., but they could take the achieve ultimate martyrdom by also effectively destroying the State of Israel with a weapons systems the Israelis can't stop.

17 days ago
10/16/10
^ How many can Israel's iron dome handle?
6/13/09
Stache - ^ How many can Israel's iron dome handle?

I'm not a weapons expert. But my understanding is that Iron Dome stops about half of incoming rockets/missiles.

So it wouldn't be enough to stop the attack. 

I did find other articles that said Israel claimed much higher hit rates....up to 86%. Not sure how accurate that is. But if even 10% of the missiles get through Israel would be a wreck.

Another problem is the  Iron Dome missiles are far more expensive than the rockets they are (hopefully) hitting. Each Tamir rocket is about $100K, while the Hezbollah missiles cost around $1K.

17 days ago
11/1/03

Missle defense systems aren't that effective. My biggest question is does Israel wait till a guided missle is launched ot do they do a preemptive strike. Striking first is a giant advantage but will invite critism from most of the world and more importantly the OG.

6/13/09
jpm995 - 

Missle defense systems aren't that effective. My biggest question is does Israel wait till a guided missle is launched ot do they do a preemptive strike. Striking first is a giant advantage but will invite critism from most of the world and more importantly the OG.

Huge decision right there ^

Maybe one last warning from Israel of "get the fucking missiles out of there or else...now".

Then action if needed.

Israel can't sit around while these things are being deployed.

***shit, I just saw that "more importantly the OG". LOL.

17 days ago
10/16/10
blood fist - 
Stache - ^ How many can Israel's iron dome handle?

I'm not a weapons expert. But my understanding is that Iron Dome stops about half of incoming rockets/missiles.

So it wouldn't be enough to stop the attack. 

I did find other articles that said Israel claimed much higher hit rates....up to 86%. Not sure how accurate that is. But if even 10% of the missiles get through Israel would be a wreck.

Another problem is the  Iron Dome missiles are far more expensive than the rockets they are (hopefully) hitting. Each Tamir rocket is about $100K, while the Hezbollah missiles cost around $1K.

Thanks. Now I see how things could spin out of control in a hurry.
17 days ago
1/1/01
So we're just going to take it at face value that it's an easy and cheap conversion from dumb rockets with non moveable stabilizers to "precision" guided missiles with real flight control surfaces and a simple, super-accurate "Waze-like" GPS guidance system?
17 days ago
10/16/10
jpm995 - 

The mere fact that there is now a legitimate threat ramps up tension in the region. Like it needs more kindling.
17 days ago
8/15/07
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane - 
blood fist - 
lionsoul - 

^^^^ Would also likely begin a broader war with Iran where we (the USA) would bomb the shit out of military targets in Tehran...

Sounds like a nightmare scenario...

I would love for us to stay out of it even if Iran gets drawn in. But short of using nukes, I'm not sure Israel can handle Hezbollah and Iran at the same time.

Best think to do TBH. There will never be peace in that area while the west interfears, let them sort it out and to the winner the spoils. Its a harsh but true fact that pretty much every stable region is born that way. 

There will never be peace in that area while there is Islam. Call the problem by its true name and don't try to blame the West.
17 days ago
12/1/05

Calm down man.  A few guided rockets aren't going to take down Isreal. Would it be a bit of a game changer? sure, but they're not launching 100,000 missiles.  They would be flattened before they got the 10th rocket fired off, if they can even get that far. This shit will be stopped for the most part before it gets off the ground.  

Isreal calling out the Iranian generals on the ground was their way of letting Iran know that Isreal knows exactly what's going on and who they need to take out to stop this.  Iran knows if they attack Isreal, we will attack them and they would be fucked.  So Iran will back off and find another way to instigate the issue and shit will conitnue as normal. That's my prediction anyway.

17 days ago
12/28/04
Soul Gravy - 
blood fist - 
lionsoul - 

^^^^ Would also likely begin a broader war with Iran where we (the USA) would bomb the shit out of military targets in Tehran...

I would love for us to stay out of it even if Iran gets drawn in. But short of using nukes, I'm not sure Israel can handle Hezbollah and Iran at the same time.

Best think to do TBH. There will never be peace in that area while the west interfears, let them sort it out and to the winner the spoils. Its a harsh but true fact that pretty much every stable region is born that way. 

There will never be peace in that area while there is Islam. Call the problem by its true name and don't try to blame the West.

The problem is that a the west decided to steal land and move a bunch of jews into the heart of islam. I am pretty sure if the roles were reversed and the muslims kicked everyone out of, and took over, DC, you would be equally as pissed. 

But that boat has sailed, IMO its time the west stopped messing with other people shit. Leave them to it and let them sort it out. 

17 days ago
12/28/04
Dirtywhiteboy - 

Calm down man.  A few guided rockets aren't going to take down Isreal. Would it be a bit of a game changer? sure, but they're not launching 100,000 missiles.  They would be flattened before they got the 10th rocket fired off, if they can even get that far. This shit will be stopped for the most part before it gets off the ground.  

Isreal calling out the Iranian generals on the ground was their way of letting Iran know that Isreal knows exactly what's going on and who they need to take out to stop this.  Iran knows if they attack Isreal, we will attack them and they would be fucked.  So Iran will back off and find another way to instigate the issue and shit will conitnue as normal. That's my prediction anyway.

Its not really sustainable in the long term though, Israel will last as long as the west keeps pooping it up. Once that stops its over. 

17 days ago
6/13/09
Dirtywhiteboy - 

I hope you're right man. Except we may not be talking about a 'few' guided missiles. They'll pile up thousands if Israel doesn't stop them.  If 20% get through and they are all bull's eyes, Israel is fucked.

It's astonishing what a cheap simple GPS will do though.

17 days ago
12/28/04

Of all the bits of land to steal who on earth though this would be a good idea...

Image result for religion map islam

17 days ago
6/13/09
Soul Gravy - 
blood fist - 
lionsoul - 

The problem is that a the west decided to steal land and move a bunch of jews into the heart of islam. I am pretty sure if the roles were reversed and the muslims kicked everyone out of, and took over, DC, you would be equally as pissed. 

But that boat has sailed, IMO its time the west stopped messing with other people shit. Leave them to it and let them sort it out. 

Again, not that easy.

Iran is in the middle of all this.  That means their close ally Russia is involved. Any time Russia is involved its trouble and 'all bets off'.

Need I go further? If Israel starts getting decapitated, it's nuke time and nukes may be flying from more than one country. The whole world would be involved.

We can't just let them sort it out in a nuclear world.

17 days ago
5/10/08
Dirtywhiteboy -

"Calm down man.  A few guided rockets aren't going to take down Isreal. Would it be a bit of a game changer? sure, but they're not launching 100,000 missiles.  They would be flattened before they got the 10th rocket fired off, if they can even get that far. This shit will be stopped for the most part before it gets off the ground."

Remember the D.C. sniper?

Brought the nation's capital to its knees for days.  Everybody stopped going to gas stations.  Work was stopped.

Now imagine that there were missiles that were targeting tall buildings in Tel Aviv.

After the first building was hit, it would be a disaster for the state.  People (especially with families) wouldn't want to live under the threat of that.  There would be a mass exodus to the US.

The only folks left would be the zealots.

17 days ago
12/28/04
blood fist - 
Soul Gravy - 
blood fist - 
lionsoul - 

Again, not that easy.

Iran is in the middle of all this.  That means their close ally Russia is involved. Any time Russia is involved its trouble and 'all bets off'.

Need I go further? If Israel starts getting decapitated, it's nuke time and nukes may be flying from more than one country. The whole world would be involved.

Russia isn't going to start nuking people.

17 days ago
6/13/09

Of all the bits of land to steal who on earth though this would be a good idea...

Image result for religion map islam

I'm not sure steal is the appropriate word. The UN gave Israel the right to exist as a state. The UN also offered the Arabs (Pals) half the land for their own state. They refused the offer (which most of them now regret) and instead tried to wipe Israel out.with the help of all the surrounding Arab countries, . The outcome is well-known.

But that is such a completely different topic, I don't want to get into it.

It's a WHOLE different can of worms than the alarming shit that's taking place today.

17 days ago
5/22/05
blood fist -
lionsoul - 

Come on you would like nothing better than for the us to eliminate isreals enemies for it.

17 days ago
6/13/09
blood fist - 
Soul Gravy - 
blood fist - 
lionsoul - 

Again, not that easy.

Russia will also not let Israel nuke Iran.

If Israel HAS to start nuking people due to existential danger, you don't know what Russia might do.

17 days ago
12/28/04
blood fist - 
blood fist - 
Soul Gravy - 
blood fist - 
lionsoul - 

Again, not that easy.

If Israel HAS to start nuking people due to existential danger, you don't know what Russia might do.

Israel do not HAVE to nuke anyone. 

17 days ago
6/13/09
banco - 
blood fist -
lionsoul - 

Come on you would like nothing better than for the us to eliminate isreals enemies for it.

Not true. I don't hate Israel's enemies (with the exception of terrorists).

I don't want to see anyone eliminated.

I'd like nothing better than peace or at least no war in the area.

17 days ago
6/13/09
blood fist - 
blood fist - 
Soul Gravy - 
blood fist - 
lionsoul - 

Again, not that easy.

Israel do not HAVE to nuke anyone. 

They might.  If Hezbollah deploys those missiles and uses them.

I don't think Israel will tolerate those missiles.

If those precision missiles start coming in and destroying Israeli cities, Israel will do whatever it has to do to survive..

17 days ago
12/1/05
blood fist - 
Dirtywhiteboy - 

I hope you're right man. Except we may not be talking about a 'few' guided missiles. They'll pile up thousands if Israel doesn't stop them.  If 20% get through and they are all bull's eyes, Israel is fucked.

It's astonishing what a cheap simple GPS will do though.

The problem here isn't these rockets we're talking about, I sreal will handle that I believe. The bigger issue is that as the technology gap narrows between the Isrealies and the mussies it will get more and more difficult to maintain the current state.  

Like brockswockshanetrain said above, it may become unsustainable at some point.  if iran would gtfo of the equation there probably could be some kind of peace made but as long as they keep meddling it will never happen. If they get stronger and more bold who knows what might happen.  

17 days ago
1/1/01
blood fist -
blood fist - 
lionsoul - 

But if we don't stay involved over there, it's possible a nuclear war could start which would have an enormous impact on us.

and if we do stay out of it, israel may have no choice but to use nukes