OtherGround Forums High school boys honor retiring teacher with HAKA

9/18/20 3:21 PM
6/10/03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjaMgF3YeLE&list=PLNVjEhoMZCo0LyI6rBDqC_JI_tRoUfyJc&index=30

This funeral haka is pretty sick too. Skip to about 2:45 if you don't want to see them just chanting.

9/18/20 3:43 PM
5/28/02

Love it, the wedding one I saw was bad ass too

9/18/20 3:47 PM
1/1/01

Love this

9/18/20 3:49 PM
2/13/16
jcblass - I cringe every time I see people do that stupid thing. But probably a nice teacher.

Same.  Legit cringe.  Everyone looks at me like I’m an idiot when I say how goofy and stupid people look.

9/18/20 4:39 PM
1/1/01
Darth Potato - 
jcblass - I cringe every time I see people do that stupid thing. But probably a nice teacher.

Same.  Legit cringe.  Everyone looks at me like I’m an idiot when I say how goofy and stupid people look.

I don't think people are dumb or goofy that feel like it's a dumb group expression of emotion.  I'm kinda weird that way though, I love it when cultural practices or customs (ESPECIALLY by kids) continued and prioritized.  Seeing Pasifika kids speaking their language, dancing their dance etc touches my heart.  I like all of it though.  Like the Viking Clap thing or Native American rituals etc.

To each their own though.  Have a good weekend.

9/18/20 5:34 PM
1/1/01

How that teacher didn't ball like a baby idk

9/18/20 5:38 PM
1/3/20
jcblass - I cringe every time I see people do that stupid thing. But probably a nice teacher.

Not your culture so understandably you don't understand but for you to cringe? You need to travel more!
9/18/20 5:40 PM
2/22/13

Chad, in the second row, looked a tad unprepared.

9/18/20 5:47 PM
1/1/01

I do the Maori war chant everytime Mrs Shlong comes over.

9/18/20 5:52 PM
2/13/16
Samoa -
Darth Potato - 

I don't think people are dumb or goofy that feel like it's a dumb group expression of emotion.  I'm kinda weird that way though, I love it when cultural practices or customs (ESPECIALLY by kids) continued and prioritized.  Seeing Pasifika kids speaking their language, dancing their dance etc touches my heart.  I like all of it though.  Like the Viking Clap thing or Native American rituals etc.

No intention of insulting anyone’s culture.

To be fair I didn’t watch that video in the OP... So yes, I think it’s cool when kids do it.  It would be awesome if those kids grew up and taught their kids about their culture.

But often times I see a bunch of grown men doing it in what appears to be a misplaced attempt at looking tough or something and I just shake my head.

9/18/20 6:11 PM
1/1/01
Darth Potato - 
Samoa -
Darth Potato - 

To be fair I didn’t watch that video in the OP... So yes, I think it’s cool when kids do it.  It would be awesome if those kids grew up and taught their kids about their culture.

But often times I see a bunch of grown men doing it in what appears to be a misplaced attempt at looking tough or something and I just shake my head.

I didn't take your post that way at all (insulting); I was just explaining why I like seeing (all) kids involved in their culture.  I've turned far more Haka videos off than watched all the way through because of the cringe factor.

9/18/20 6:46 PM
2/13/16
Samoa -
Darth Potato - 
Samoa -
Darth Potato - 

I didn't take your post that way at all (insulting); I was just explaining why I like seeing (all) kids involved in their culture.  I've turned far more Haka videos off than watched all the way through because of the cringe factor.

Part of it to me is because it’s all the sudden cool to do it, so you see goofball celebrities out there

FWIW, my parents had me doing Irish dance when I was a kid, and I’m sure people will think that’s goofy to, because it is.

9/18/20 9:10 PM
5/28/02
Samoa -

Love this

Holy shit that gave me goosebumps

9/18/20 9:35 PM
9/20/19
Samoa -
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. - 

very old

It was very old before it became "popular".  Ancient.

Ancient? Maori culture is 700 years old lol. While Europe was going through the renaissance, they were coming up with the Haka. 

9/18/20 10:30 PM
1/1/01
HillboFrateTrane -
Samoa -
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. - 

very old

It was very old before it became "popular".  Ancient.

Ancient? Maori culture is 700 years old lol. While Europe was going through the renaissance, they were coming up with the Haka. 

My point was that it was around for a few years before it became pop culture. 13th century vs this millennnia. 

Edited: 9/19/20 1:36 AM
9/19/13

Pretty coo

9/19/20 1:52 AM
5/23/07

Very cool

28 days ago
9/20/19
BonedByPicograms* -

Like the rugby team that does this before the match,  I wouldn’t be able to watch it with a straight face.  It’s so silly

The other teams are expected to stand there quietly as a captive audience too or they’re labeled as “disrespectful”. Like go fuck yourself with your little primitive chest puffing dance routine. 

28 days ago
1/1/01

If they were adults id make fun of them, simultaneously and theyd attack as such like children bit since they're children i weep

28 days ago
9/20/19

27 days ago
11/17/10

in my opinion, attending an All Boys High School is the best option for boys (no homo)

those of us that attended all boys high schools will understand this...but there is something to be said about boys learning together with other boys, under a male centered teaching system, as oppossed to the female centric public school system here in the west

it is a special type of comraderie and energy compared to regular co ed schools