OtherGround Forums How do democrats block trumps next appointment?

9/19/20 4:17 PM
7/14/08
Slap Johnson -
MickColins -

Ain’t no way his nominee gets through the house.

100% correct

Dude makes one mistake... You are all poop heads!

9/19/20 5:21 PM
1/25/07
gtownhoya -
TexDeuce -
gtownhoya -

The Dems hold the chips. If the Republicans push someone through, the Dems will look to pack the Supreme Court in the future. 

If Biden wins and/when the Dems take the Senate, they'll expand the Court to 15 (or more) and Biden will appoint 6 (or more) 45-year old ultra-liberals. 

This won't end well for Republicans.

Increasing the numbers and packing the courts would ruin this country. That will 100% open Pandora's box that we'll never come back from. The next time the Repubs have the power they will do the same then we turn into Venezuela. The fabric of our country will have been completely ripped in half.

I agree, but I think it will happen if the Republicans push someone through. 

It's a horrific result for the country and Republicans because shifting demographics pretty much ensure that, if they don't reverse it quickly, Republicans won't have power over both houses of Congress and the Presidency for some time into the future.

I agree. It's a really shortsighted decision but given those changing demographics it might be why they are willing to do it. 

If they feel they are going to lose the general election and could be dealing with a blue texas and florida in the near future then get whatever you can now no matter the optics.

I wish they had permanent spots for 4 conservative and 4 liberal judges, and then the 9th judge was not static and appointed by each president. Each party could nominate judges for their slots, but it must be confimed by the other party. It would keep the court centrist as you would have to pick a center right or center left candidate to be confirmed and the confimation process would force each party to compromise and work together to get someone everyone can accept.

9/19/20 6:12 PM
4/9/10
gtownhoya -
TexDeuce -
gtownhoya -

The Dems hold the chips. If the Republicans push someone through, the Dems will look to pack the Supreme Court in the future. 

If Biden wins and/when the Dems take the Senate, they'll expand the Court to 15 (or more) and Biden will appoint 6 (or more) 45-year old ultra-liberals. 

Increasing the numbers and packing the courts would ruin this country. That will 100% open Pandora's box that we'll never come back from. The next time the Repubs have the power they will do the same then we turn into Venezuela. The fabric of our country will have been completely ripped in half.

It's a horrific result for the country and Republicans because shifting demographics pretty much ensure that, if they don't reverse it quickly, Republicans won't have power over both houses of Congress and the Presidency for some time into the future.

The idea that the dems won’t try such insanity if the republicans don’t push something through is wrong. The dems have lost all semblance of normalcy and decency. They simply want control at all costs.  
The Republicans are well within their rights to nominate and vote for a Justice. Not doing so would be no more than a courtesy. The dems have no right whatsoever to pack the court. The two aren’t even remotely comparable. 

9/19/20 6:28 PM
7/7/17
NerveBlock -
gtownhoya -
TexDeuce -
gtownhoya -

The idea that the dems won’t try such insanity if the republicans don’t push something through is wrong. The dems have lost all semblance of normalcy and decency. They simply want control at all costs.  
The Republicans are well within their rights to nominate and vote for a Justice. Not doing so would be no more than a courtesy. The dems have no right whatsoever to pack the court. The two aren’t even remotely comparable. 

When a Democrat-controlled Congress, backed by a Democrat President, pass a federal law expanding the Supreme Court, they will absolutely have the right to pack the Court. They'll eliminate the filibuster, and they're off to the races. 6? 8? 10? new super-liberal judges wipe out any conservative views on the Court. All of this would be 100% legal.

I'm not saying I agree, but I think the Republicans may win the battle and get smashed in the war if they head down this path.

9/19/20 6:39 PM
1/1/01
1. I doubt there's enough time to get this done.

2. I don't think the Republicans can get a Senate majority on this --> https://www.foxnews.com/politics/susan-collins-ginsburg-scotus-nominee

It's also a strategic call for the Republicans. If they do confirm a nominee, will that increase Dem turn-out? I don't think Trump gives a shit. He's got 1 speed on the 10-point scale - 11.

"Let's do this fucking thing." ~ D. Trump
9/19/20 6:41 PM
5/14/10
TexDeuce - 
gtownhoya -

What are the odds that the dems wouldn't/won't try to pack the courts regardless of whether or not Trump gets to appoint another SC justice?
9/19/20 6:44 PM
1/1/01
MickColins -

It'sa good thing this doesn't have to happen

9/19/20 7:36 PM
2/25/09
MickColins -
Slap Johnson -
MickColins -

100% correct

Dude makes one mistake... You are all poop heads!

9/19/20 8:52 PM
6/20/13
SMOKING MANHOLE -
RonysTorresIceBag -

How funny would it be if he nominates a POC? The left would melt.

But he has to win first. Not like he can shove through a SCOTUS judge in 3 months.

It's been done multiple times within 45 days

He has nominated multiple persons of color to the supreme court in the last 45 days? I must have been asleep.

9/19/20 9:08 PM
9/13/08
MickColins -

Um...........? 

9/19/20 9:10 PM
7/14/10
MickColins -

You are right considering SC nominees won't go through the house period

Edited: 9/19/20 9:28 PM
7/14/10
froggy - 1. I doubt there's enough time to get this done.

2. I don't think the Republicans can get a Senate majority on this --> https://www.foxnews.com/politics/susan-collins-ginsburg-scotus-nominee

It's also a strategic call for the Republicans. If they do confirm a nominee, will that increase Dem turn-out? I don't think Trump gives a shit. He's got 1 speed on the 10-point scale - 11.

"Let's do this fucking thing." ~ D. Trump

1. Senate can confirm up to January 3rd. That is when the new senate is seated but if rep maintain then nothing changes.

Also Trump can nominate up until January 20th 11:59am if he wants because he is president up until them. President elect has zero power.

All i know is its going to be absolute APESHIT up until election with this. They are going to through out everything and media is going to run with the most obscene shit possible. Already had "high profile people" calling on burning shit down, etc on twitter.

Now with news of Durham having been investigating Comey since 2017, with the impending release of his report and what to follow, its going to be a clusterfuck.

I won't be surprised to see sitting congressman literally calling for full on rioting and violence publicly