OtherGround Forums How do you stop a biting Puppy/Dog?

12 days ago
12/4/18

My gf got two Springer Spaniel puppies in March. One Femal and one male. The female has a problem with biting and the other does not. She is very hyper and when she greets you she jumps on you and bites your hands. She won’t let go unless your pry her jaws off your hand. She also relentlessly bites at the other dog. How do you teach a dog to stop biting? 

12 days ago
7/29/13

12 days ago
11/21/15

Bitter Apple Spray

12 days ago
3/14/04

I could make a very long post about this but there are a couple of things you need to be aware of.

1.  It's a good thing when puppies bite.  However, they need feedback so they develop bite inhibition, which means this is the stage in life they learn how hard they can and can't bite.  With other dogs/puppies, if they bite too hard the other dog will either snap back or will stop playing with them.  This teaches them that if they bite too hard, the play/fun/interaction stops.  Eventually most dogs will develop a soft mouth (gentle, inhibited bite).

2. You have to allow them to bite gently but when they bite too hard, immediately stop the play or interaction.  That means turn away, ignore them, etc..  If you turn away and the puppy keeps trying to bite, give the puppy a 30 second time out.  Puppy bites too hard > put puppy in a room alone for 30 seconds.  Repeat over and over as necessary.  Some puppies learn right away, others take a few weeks or more.  The key is you have to be 100% consistent so the puppy associates the hard bite with the end of the fun/interaction.

3.  Never hit or smack the puppy.  This can cause all kinds of psychological and behavior problems.   Remember, this is normal puppy behavior and should not be punished using aversives or pain.  It can be punished by taking away something the puppy wants - play/interaction/etc...

4.  Puppies need to chew.  Always have an acceptable chew toy available for the puppy.  In some cases, if the puppy is biting you, you can try to redirect it to bite the chew toy.  Puppy bites you > take your hand away and put the chew toy in the puppy's mouth.  If the puppy ignores the toy and goes for your hand, 30 second time out.

5. You can do the same when the puppy bites the other puppy.  If the other puppy doesn't provide feedback, then you can intervene and put the biting puppy in a 30 second timeout.

12 days ago
1/1/01

Lift him up by his ears and suck his dick.

12 days ago
3/14/04

As for the greeting behavior, start teaching the puppy a basic sit.  Turn that into the default behavior for greeting.  Once the dog learns a sit, immediately on greeting, before the dog has a chance to jump and bite, ask the puppy for a sit, then when the puppy sits immediately reward and greet the puppy.

12 days ago
3/16/11

12 days ago
11/30/11
samichlaus -

Well done, this got me 

Edited: 12 days ago
1/9/02

thats normal puppy behavior you idiot

do you get mad when they wag their tail too?

also slap them upside the head whenever they do something you dont like. you can train them in like a day doing this. all of these other gay methods take too long

12 days ago
7/2/09

Bite 'em back. That way they'll learn. 

12 days ago
8/14/18

Feed him to a pitbull.

12 days ago
10/13/02
gregbrady -

thats normal puppy behavior you idiot

do you get mad when they wag their tail too?

also slap them upside the head whenever they do something you dont like. you can train them in like a day doing this. all of these other gay methods take too long

VU 

12 days ago
12/28/14

Im no dog trainer. Had this issue and just smacked hmthe puppy in the head everytime they did it. After about a week it stopped. Been 3 years now and the dog is fine.

12 days ago
2/24/11

I was given this tip by a trainer and It worked really well for us:

a) every time the pup nips you, get up and walk into another room or even just to the front door or some other spot in the house where you can face a wall and not allow the dog to get in front of you 

b) either close the door or turn your back on the dog for at least 30seconds and don’t make any eye contact

c) you and the girl must BOTH do this at the same time every time the dog nips

we were doing this about 20-30 times every evening but our pup soon realized that every time he bit us the fun stopped for a while. Maybe took a week tops. 

it takes a lot of discipline but it really worked for us

12 days ago
2/23/05
TFK_figure8 - 
samichlaus -

Well done, this got me 

samichlaus - making the OG great one post at a time
12 days ago
11/15/18

Bullet. 

12 days ago
3/14/04
soreshins - 

I was given this tip by a trainer and It worked really well for us:

a) every time the pup nips you, get up and walk into another room or even just to the front door or some other spot in the house where you can face a wall and not allow the dog to get in front of you 

b) either close the door or turn your back on the dog for at least 30seconds and don’t make any eye contact

c) you and the girl must BOTH do this at the same time every time the dog nips

we were doing this about 20-30 times every evening but our pup soon realized that every time he bit us the fun stopped for a while. Maybe took a week tops. 

it takes a lot of discipline but it really worked for us

Sounds like you got a good trainer.   That's pretty much exactly what I posted above.  

12 days ago
11/16/08

12 days ago
11/16/08

12 days ago
12/17/06
angryinch - 

I could make a very long post about this but there are a couple of things you need to be aware of.

1.  It's a good thing when puppies bite.  However, they need feedback so they develop bite inhibition, which means this is the stage in life they learn how hard they can and can't bite.  With other dogs/puppies, if they bite too hard the other dog will either snap back or will stop playing with them.  This teaches them that if they bite too hard, the play/fun/interaction stops.  Eventually most dogs will develop a soft mouth (gentle, inhibited bite).

2. You have to allow them to bite gently but when they bite too hard, immediately stop the play or interaction.  That means turn away, ignore them, etc..  If you turn away and the puppy keeps trying to bite, give the puppy a 30 second time out.  Puppy bites too hard > put puppy in a room alone for 30 seconds.  Repeat over and over as necessary.  Some puppies learn right away, others take a few weeks or more.  The key is you have to be 100% consistent so the puppy associates the hard bite with the end of the fun/interaction.

3.  Never hit or smack the puppy.  This can cause all kinds of psychological and behavior problems.   Remember, this is normal puppy behavior and should not be punished using aversives or pain.  It can be punished by taking away something the puppy wants - play/interaction/etc...

4.  Puppies need to chew.  Always have an acceptable chew toy available for the puppy.  In some cases, if the puppy is biting you, you can try to redirect it to bite the chew toy.  Puppy bites you > take your hand away and put the chew toy in the puppy's mouth.  If the puppy ignores the toy and goes for your hand, 30 second time out.

5. You can do the same when the puppy bites the other puppy.  If the other puppy doesn't provide feedback, then you can intervene and put the biting puppy in a 30 second timeout.

This.

Also, this behavior is quite normal for spaniels specifically. 

Edited: 12 days ago
2/28/12
Any behavior you don't like from a dog, you say STOP and enforce your command by standing up, ignoring, withdrawing attention (not smacking in the head).

When possible you redirect the instinct towards something else, in this case a toy.
12 days ago
2/28/12
I once was working with this dude that was complaining about his dog barking too much.

I asked him if he ever said STOP or SHUT UP to the dog.

His response was that he thought that would be too mean.
12 days ago
11/19/19
TFK_figure8 -
samichlaus -

Well done, this got me 

me as well. The imagery. lol

12 days ago
11/19/19

Works like a charm. You will only have to use the zapper about 3 times total. After that, just use the beep or the vibration. Dog's are smart. They learn quickly.

12 days ago
1/1/01
samichlaus - 

It's the female that has the biting problem, so he'll have to lick that puppy puss