OtherGround Forums How to Make Your Own Hot Sauce

Edited: 9 days ago
4/29/09

Lately I've been making my own hot sauces, I wanted to try it and see what kind of quality product I could make.  You can make a fresh hot sauce but it will be very perishable and lack the depth of flavor you want, and I found fermented sauces come out amazing.

You need at least half gallon glass jars, and you need fermentation lids (you can see mine are white) for equipment.  I would recommend getting fermentation weights also but you don't NEED them.

Here is a basic recipe to follow:

1.5 pounds of hot peppers of your choice

Fine Sea Salt 

A few Shallots sliced up

5 cloves of Garlic smashed with a knife

1 carrot (do not peel) sliced into 1/4" rounds

Filtered water 

Cut the peppers into 4 pieces each and begin filing the 1/2 gallon jar.  Here and there add the garlic cloves, shallots and carrots to the mix.  Once the jar is full of the vegetables, prepare the brine.  Brine is 1tsp of fine sea salt per cup of water, you want to make 5 cups for this so it's 5 tsp of salt.

Fill the jar almost all the way to the top with the brine.  Then add your canning weight, or something to keep the vegetables submerged.  Then put your fermentation lid on, and set the jar in a cool place out of the sun.  Wait at least a week then blend the piss out of it (don't blend too long so that the sauce gets warm in temperature) and then bottle it.  You can strain the solids at the end if you want and/or add a small amount of xanthan gum to thicken it.  I would actually recommend getting some xanthan gum for sure.

9 days ago
4/29/09

9 days ago
4/29/09

9 days ago
4/29/09

9 days ago
5/14/08

In

9 days ago
4/29/09

9 days ago
4/29/09

9 days ago
6/3/14

In

4/29/09

I didn't fill these enough with peppers, you want to cram the jars full.

9 days ago
4/29/09

9 days ago
6/30/14

Lacto fermentation. How I do mine as well. Great stuff, OP

9 days ago
11/30/11

In

4/29/09

You can also add white or apple cider vinegar at the end once it's done fermenting, up to 3/8 cup to taste.  If you lacto ferment long enough you will get good sourness and I've found the vinegar isn't needed.

9 days ago
3/21/12

I can't imagine how spicy that is with habaneros, just soaking them in vinegar and using the vinegar alone a month later is spicy.

9 days ago
6/26/17

In

9 days ago
2/8/08

Im gonna try this. I hope I dont get sick. 

4/29/09
SeattlesbigDprolapsedME -

Just make sure you aren't seeing FUZZY MOLD, that said it's never happened to me.  Make sure the jars and lids are clean, make sure your peppers are submerged during fermentation and you can't have a problem.  You don't want air in the mix.   The brine ratio has to be 1 tsp of fine sea salt per cup of water, that's the key piece of it all.  If the water is more or less salty this will not work.

9 days ago
11/28/08

I am getting into this, but have only done fresh sauces so far. Haven't tried fermentation yet.

9 days ago
8/14/02

I've been doing the same for the last few months. taste awesome with a little sugar.

9 days ago
4/29/09
jaydub - I've been doing the same for the last few months. taste awesome with a little sugar.

Yes adding a little sugar is an option, personally it's not my preference.  You want to add it at the end after fermentation.

9 days ago
4/29/09
SeattlesbigDprolapsedME -

Post your results when you do!  Dying to see some other great recipes that people come up with.

1/1/01

Silly question but Are you blending?

Also it looks like you've removed seeds,  that true?

9 days ago
11/30/07

So in. Always wanted to make my own hot sauce, bbq sauce and beer. 

9 days ago
2/5/11
NiteProwleR -

He stated he blends the piss out of it after a week of fermentation

4/29/09
NiteProwleR -

Yes I am blending, I have a ninja I wish I had a better blender.  Did not remove the seeds, but I will strain it at the end and add xanthan gum before bottling.  The one time I pre-removed seeds the sauce wasn't nearly hot enough, fermentation will make the peppers slightly less spicy.  You only want to add a VERY small amount of XG to thicken it slightly so it won't run off your food.