OtherGround Forums I admit it I think Coronavirus/Covid19 is bullshit

11 days ago
6/3/03

Ok, perhaps bullshit is way too strong of a word, but it got you pissed off enough to click this thread so while you’re here just hear me out. 

First, let me get this out of the way, I don’t think this virus is part of some conspiracy to make Trump look bad or to shuffle in a New World Order (love that song by Ministry btw). I don’t think it was grown in a lab and I don’t think God created it to smite humanity. 

Now, with all that out of the way, let me say that I don’t believe the hype (another good song). Now, before people get their panties in a twist and start screaming about how blind I am, a family member has tested positive for CV19 and is presently in the hospital.

“So, why do you think it’s bullshit then, NC” you ask? Again, I don’t think it’s bullshit but I think it’s completely overblown and come another week or two people will realize this was just another mass panic where the situation should not have equaled the reaction. 

With that said, I am willing to admit that I am dead wrong about my assumptions above if shit goes downhill fast. I am willing to admit that perhaps it’s just me in denial and willing to see the truth about how bad this is. I’m willing to state all this knowing the huge backlash that is coming to this thread, but here’s the question; are you willing to admit you were wrong and that this was another “The Sky is falling moment” that people fell for?  Now, don’t get me wrong, I am prepared and have taken precautions and have made sure that my family is well stocked and protected because I am most likely wrong about this. However, at present moment, I don’t understand the panic I’m seeing to something that I believe by this time next year will be regarded as pedestrian as the flu.
Well, there you have it, flame away if you have to, but I’m hoping to keep this conversation as civil as possible. Be safe out there and let’s just say that I hope I’m right for once. 

11 days ago
6/24/07

Amen.

11 days ago
2/2/08
Nitecrawler - 

Ok, perhaps bullshit is way too strong of a word, but it got you pissed off enough to click this thread so while you’re here just hear me out. 

First, let me get this out of the way, I don’t think this virus is part of some conspiracy to make Trump look bad or to shuffle in a New World Order (love that song by Ministry btw). I don’t think it was grown in a lab and I don’t think God created it to smite humanity. 

Now, with all that out of the way, let me say that I don’t believe the hype (another good song). Now, before people get their panties in a twist and start screaming about how blind I am, a family member has tested positive for CV19 and is presently in the hospital.

“So, why do you think it’s bullshit then, NC” you ask? Again, I don’t think it’s bullshit but I think it’s completely overblown and come another week or two people will realize this was just another mass panic where the situation should not have equaled the reaction. 

With that said, I am willing to admit that I am dead wrong about my assumptions above if shit goes downhill fast. I am willing to admit that perhaps it’s just me in denial and willing to see the truth about how bad this is. I’m willing to state all this knowing the huge backlash that is coming to this thread, but here’s the question; are you willing to admit you were wrong and that this was another “The Sky is falling moment” that people fell for?  Now, don’t get me wrong, I am prepared and have taken precautions and have made sure that my family is well stocked and protected because I am most likely wrong about this. However, at present moment, I don’t understand the panic I’m seeing to something that I believe by this time next year will be regarded as pedestrian as the flu.
Well, there you have it, flame away if you have to, but I’m hoping to keep this conversation as civil as possible. Be safe out there and let’s just say that I hope I’m right for once. 

Nitecrawler = PhD in virology
11 days ago
1/14/07

So here is the problem...

We have all of these people saying 'if this dies down in a few weeks, that shows this was all overblown and we should have never altered our lives for this.

However, that would be the absolute best case of doing things like stay at home orders and social distancing. These things are being done with the hope that everything does quiet down within weeks.... instead of just carrying on like normal and having things grow exponentially.

11 days ago
3/23/07

You’re an idiot, lol. You know there’s a stickied thread on the forum where several actual doctors are posting about their experiences right?

11 days ago
6/3/03
forumnewb -
Nitecrawler - 

Nitecrawler = PhD in virology

Nope, Nitecrawler is functionally retarded on a good day, however my feelings remain the same on this one and I hope I’m right for once. 

11 days ago
6/3/03
RdotC -

We have all of these people saying 'if this dies down in a few weeks, that shows this was all overblown and we should have never altered our lives for this.

However, that would be the absolute best case of doing things like stay at home orders and social distancing. These things are being done with the hope that everything does quiet down within weeks.... instead of just carrying on like normal and having things grow exponentially.

I have heard it put succinctly as “Anything we do before a pandemic will appear alarmist. After a pandemic those same things will appear terribly insufficient”. 

I agree 100% with that and again hope I’m right on this. 

11 days ago
6/3/03
saglv -

You’re an idiot, lol. You know there’s a stickied thread on the forum where several actual doctors are posting about their experiences right?

So much for being civil. 

11 days ago
10/15/13
Nitecrawler -
saglv -

So much for being civil. 

And from a Mod no less.

That had to sting, huh?

11 days ago
1/1/01
We don't have to have opinions about everything.

In this situation, non-medical people are out of their element.

If some random guy on the Internet with no knowledge of your profession thought you were overreacting to some disaster at your work, you'd just laugh.

11 days ago
11/28/08
RdotC -

That is always the problem.

This epidemic will, hopefully, be reasonably contained because so many city and state governments took extreme measures even before all that many confirmed cases were reported here. Then, if it isn't a massive disaster, people will see those efforts as pointless. They wouldn't see the alternative, just what is in front of them.

11 days ago
6/3/03
Scythrop - We don't have to have opinions about everything.

If some random guy on the Internet with no knowledge of your profession thought you were overreacting to some disaster at your work, you'd just laugh.

That is a very fair point. 

As I said above I knew I was going to take heat for that post, and I’m ok with that. I’m also ok with admitting I was wrong and I’m also ok with even creating a thread from the apocalypse saying that I was woefully ignorant of all the warning signs around me. However, I’m hoping I’m right in this situation and that in a few years people will be like “Remeber Coronavirus and how people lost their fucking minds? Crazy huh?”  

11 days ago
8/29/09

I stand with NC.

11 days ago
5/22/05
Nitecrawler -
RdotC -

I have heard it put succinctly as “Anything we do before a pandemic will appear alarmist. After a pandemic those same things will appear terribly insufficient”. 

How is that consistent with your first post?

11 days ago
12/13/15

Isnt s. Korea taking a different path. They are still working and reasonably keeping control of the virus.

I'm a tile setter/GC. They just closed all the storesi(tile) in okc. I've got customers that want me to get started but I can't. 

I could be working and taking an economic strain off our country. In construction you work alone mostly. 

We have 5 deaths in Oklahoma. We have 3.3 million unemployment claims in the US

There is room for discussion here. Tired of the lame motherfuckers who start calling people fools for asking simple questions

11 days ago
6/3/03
banco -
Nitecrawler -
RdotC -

How is that consistent with your first post?

I can see how that would seem incongruent but perhaps it’s because I don’t view CV19 in the same vein as say the Black Death or Spanish Flu. Now, a good argument could be made that of course they aren’t in the same vein due to advances in medicine, the ability to transmit information and coordinate responses rather quickly but apart from those countermeasures I still don’t view CV19 the same way I view those outbreaks. 

11 days ago
6/3/03
BZtown10 -

We definitely don't need constant media fear mongering, hospitals are being bombarded with people wanting to get checked on that might not need it.   

Agree 100% and I believe the media is making this whole situation 1000% worse. 

11 days ago
1/1/01

I want to agree on some level. I think the truth lies in the middle of both of these extremes. Hope we can recover from being entirely shutdown. 

11 days ago
11/21/15

22k-55k flu deaths is an average of 60 to 150 deaths a day. Yesterday there were 265 new deaths in the U.S. linked to coronavirus.  This number will only continue to get bigger.

11 days ago
2/10/20
Nitecrawler -

How long have you been a mongoloid retard?

22,000 deaths worlwide (and counting) in just 3 months.  Over 200 in the U.S. just yesterday.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/85320e2ea5424dfaaa75ae62e5c06e61

At this point, anyone who thinks "maybe its bullshit" should just eat some bat soup.

11 days ago
8/19/19
Scythrop - We don't have to have opinions about everything.

That could be said about every single thing. Never been President, do not comment. Never been a baseball manager, do not comment. Never played in the NBA, do not comment.
11 days ago
8/29/09
cfochs -

22k-55k flu deaths is an average of 60 to 150 deaths a day. Yesterday there were 265 new deaths in the U.S. linked to coronavirus.  This number will only continue to get bigger.

Flu season is 5 months of the year.  In 2017 there were 61000 deaths

That's an average of over 400/day due to the flu.  And covid19 is probably taking care of many people that would have died of the flu because it got to the individual first.

11 days ago
8/29/09
KingMartyrJack -
Nitecrawler -

How long have you been a mongoloid retard?

22,000 deaths worlwide (and counting) in just 3 months.  Over 200 in the U.S. just yesterday.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/85320e2ea5424dfaaa75ae62e5c06e61

At this point, anyone who thinks "maybe its bullshit" should just eat some bat soup.

Context is important. 150,000 people die in the world every single day.  How many more people per day are dying?  How many of these people that are in excess to the average were going to die in the next 6 months regardless of whether they caught the virus?

11 days ago
12/13/15

11 days ago
10/11/05
Here's my take: There are already dozens of threads on this board where there are extended arguments about precisely this topic. Your decision to start another one rather than engage there indicates you're not really interested in the pursuit of objective truth.