OtherGround Forums I admit it I think Coronavirus/Covid19 is bullshit

14 days ago
5/13/11
Willin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Thread did not disappoint. 

Kevsh nailed it on the head. An actual doctor entrenched in the chaos confirmed the quality and accuracy of the post. They get mocked by the same pack of deniers, who are also using stats from the totality of other illnesses to compare to stats from something the US is only 1.5 months into, while completely ignoring the rate of increase or any modeling. 

These deniers are the true problem, along with the politicians here pushing for a quick return to open season to save their precious corporations. 

Save their precious corporations?

LOL, you're such an embicile.

Small businesses are dying first. Corporations second.

With no business you don't have a USA.

You won't have unemployment checks to cash when that happens. I hope they cut you off from the government benefits first, loser. 

Yes, the small businesses that the GOP/McTurtle's original bill did little to nothing to help and had to have the Dems take a stand and push for more to help them, and actual loophole-free measures to protect workers from the big corporations to be able to fuck over. 

Stick to your already pathetic troll threads where you've been sat down and then tucked repeatedly. You don't need more threads of embarrassing posts. 

14 days ago
8/1/13
Willin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Kevsh nailed it on the head. An actual doctor entrenched in the chaos confirmed the quality and accuracy of the post. They get mocked by the same pack of deniers, who are also using stats from the totality of other illnesses to compare to stats from something the US is only 1.5 months into, while completely ignoring the rate of increase or any modeling. 

These deniers are the true problem, along with the politicians here pushing for a quick return to open season to save their precious corporations. 

You won't have unemployment checks to cash when that happens. I hope they cut you off from the government benefits first, loser. 

Ninja might be the most triggered Ive ever seen him this morning.

14 days ago
5/13/11
Bad Monkey -
KingMartyrJack -
Bad Monkey -
KingMartyrJack -
Nitecrawler -

Ok, perhaps bullshit is way too strong of a word, but it got you pissed off enough to click this thread so while you’re here just hear me out. 

First, let me get this out of the way, I don’t think this virus is part of some conspiracy to make Trump look bad or to shuffle in a New World Order (love that song by Ministry btw). I don’t think it was grown in a lab and I don’t think God created it to smite humanity. 

Now, with all that out of the way, let me say that I don’t believe the hype (another good song). Now, before people get their panties in a twist and start screaming about how blind I am, a family member has tested positive for CV19 and is presently in the hospital.

“So, why do you think it’s bullshit then, NC” you ask? Again, I don’t think it’s bullshit but I think it’s completely overblown and come another week or two people will realize this was just another mass panic where the situation should not have equaled the reaction. 

With that said, I am willing to admit that I am dead wrong about my assumptions above if shit goes downhill fast. I am willing to admit that perhaps it’s just me in denial and willing to see the truth about how bad this is. I’m willing to state all this knowing the huge backlash that is coming to this thread, but here’s the question; are you willing to admit you were wrong and that this was another “The Sky is falling moment” that people fell for?  Now, don’t get me wrong, I am prepared and have taken precautions and have made sure that my family is well stocked and protected because I am most likely wrong about this. However, at present moment, I don’t understand the panic I’m seeing to something that I believe by this time next year will be regarded as pedestrian as the flu.
Well, there you have it, flame away if you have to, but I’m hoping to keep this conversation as civil as possible. Be safe out there and let’s just say that I hope I’m right for once. 

How long have you been a mongoloid retard?

22,000 deaths worlwide (and counting) in just 3 months.  Over 200 in the U.S. just yesterday.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/85320e2ea5424dfaaa75ae62e5c06e61

At this point, anyone who thinks "maybe its bullshit" should just eat some bat soup.

Context is important. 150,000 people die in the world every single day.  How many more people per day are dying?  How many of these people that are in excess to the average were going to die in the next 6 months regardless of whether they caught the virus?

WTF do your stupid hypothetical questions have to do with the facts?

If they were no virus, 22,000 more people would be alive.

Trying to illustrate to you that the facts are this virus isn't causing any meaningful deviation from normal, everyday mortality rate of humans as a species.

No, you're trying your best to pretend this isn't a big  issue by cherry picking irrelevant numbers and trying to correlate COVID19 deaths to normal deaths to justify you're "right" in your own head. 

14 days ago
8/29/09

What will help the working and middle more?

An additional $1000 on their virus check, or having a job to come back to in a month?

14 days ago
5/13/11
camicom -
Willin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

That's all you ever have when your idiotic logic and troll posts get shit on. Claim people are "triggered". Next you'll resort to just posting lame memes or GIFs about reeeeing. All to supplement your weak self esteem. 

14 days ago
3/23/07

Trump seems to be taking it pretty seriously, which I think is a good thing. Do you guys think he's overreacting?

14 days ago
8/29/09
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Bad Monkey -
KingMartyrJack -
Bad Monkey -
KingMartyrJack -
Nitecrawler -

Ok, perhaps bullshit is way too strong of a word, but it got you pissed off enough to click this thread so while you’re here just hear me out. 

First, let me get this out of the way, I don’t think this virus is part of some conspiracy to make Trump look bad or to shuffle in a New World Order (love that song by Ministry btw). I don’t think it was grown in a lab and I don’t think God created it to smite humanity. 

Now, with all that out of the way, let me say that I don’t believe the hype (another good song). Now, before people get their panties in a twist and start screaming about how blind I am, a family member has tested positive for CV19 and is presently in the hospital.

“So, why do you think it’s bullshit then, NC” you ask? Again, I don’t think it’s bullshit but I think it’s completely overblown and come another week or two people will realize this was just another mass panic where the situation should not have equaled the reaction. 

With that said, I am willing to admit that I am dead wrong about my assumptions above if shit goes downhill fast. I am willing to admit that perhaps it’s just me in denial and willing to see the truth about how bad this is. I’m willing to state all this knowing the huge backlash that is coming to this thread, but here’s the question; are you willing to admit you were wrong and that this was another “The Sky is falling moment” that people fell for?  Now, don’t get me wrong, I am prepared and have taken precautions and have made sure that my family is well stocked and protected because I am most likely wrong about this. However, at present moment, I don’t understand the panic I’m seeing to something that I believe by this time next year will be regarded as pedestrian as the flu.
Well, there you have it, flame away if you have to, but I’m hoping to keep this conversation as civil as possible. Be safe out there and let’s just say that I hope I’m right for once. 

22,000 deaths worlwide (and counting) in just 3 months.  Over 200 in the U.S. just yesterday.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/85320e2ea5424dfaaa75ae62e5c06e61

At this point, anyone who thinks "maybe its bullshit" should just eat some bat soup.

Context is important. 150,000 people die in the world every single day.  How many more people per day are dying?  How many of these people that are in excess to the average were going to die in the next 6 months regardless of whether they caught the virus?

Trying to illustrate to you that the facts are this virus isn't causing any meaningful deviation from normal, everyday mortality rate of humans as a species.

No, you're trying your best to pretend this isn't a big  issue by cherry picking irrelevant numbers and trying to correlate COVID19 deaths to normal deaths to justify you're "right" in your own head. 

Illustrate doesn't begin with a "P".  

Showing must have autocorrected to "cherry picking irrelevant".  I'm sure you nigfest understand.

Edited: 14 days ago
4/20/11
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
camicom -
Willin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

That's all you ever have when your idiotic logic and troll posts get shit on. Claim people are "triggered". Next you'll resort to just posting lame memes or GIFs about reeeeing. All to supplement your weak self esteem. 

You're a sociopath. Filled to the brim with impotent childish rage and immaturity. By definition you have no self esteem and you're projecting your insecurity all over the place. 

14 days ago
5/13/11
Bad Monkey -

An additional $1000 on their virus check, or having a job to come back to in a month?

C. All of the above. 

Which is why no one I've seen is against the corporate parts of the stimulus, we just want the proper protections in the bill to ensure that those workers actually HAVE the job to come back to. Like the requirements the Dems wanted added to McTurtle's original shitstained bill. 

14 days ago
5/13/11
Willin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
camicom -
Willin -
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

You're a sociopath. Filled to the brim with impotent childish rage and immaturity. By definition you have no self esteem and you're projecting your insecurity all over the place. 

False. Now you're resorting to pretending I am a sociopath when my stances on all of this show the exact opposite of a sociopath. Desperate times call for desperate trolls I guess?

14 days ago
8/23/11
Nitecrawler -

Lol why are you trying to steal willins thunder?

we’ve been saying this for weeks 

we have seen this before when it was called h1n1. 

here is the truth. We won’t see another Spanish flu.. Just think 100 years ago there was no Lysol wipes, sanitizer etc. Fuck soap and running water were luxuries 

how many people had access to dr’s or any kind of healthcare? 

if you did get sick and you and your family were in The boonies. Chances are you all got it. 

there was no work from home, no zoom, Skype... fuck there was no phone for most 

And most important (&this is what’s driving the panic now) 

there was no internet / social media / connectivity 

back then the info on what was happening and how to fight it, take precautions would only be in the daily paper. Now it’s real time 

Spanish flu will never happen again 

14 days ago
8/7/12
Bad Monkey -
KingMartyrJack -
Bad Monkey -
KingMartyrJack -
Nitecrawler -

So here is what you, I and everyone else does not know. How much of a factor were all these countries shutting down their borders had on the spread of the virus? 

You actually have no clue and absolutely no evidence to support such a thing. The same could be said about the other side of the argument. 

There is no doubt however that people are dying from this. Some people show symptoms and are completely fine. Some people show symptoms and deteriorate within an hour that they need to be placed on ventilators. Others have the virus and never show any symptoms or effects. Some people have the virus, and within a few days of rest are back to normal.

The scary thing is nobody can figure out why or how all that is happening. Its also part of the big misconception that this virus is a nothinburger. That is as far from the truth as possible. You are literally rolling the dice if you catch this virus. At least with the flu once you have it the symptoms are pretty much similiar for most or all the strains. The only difference being the severity of those symptoms. That is the only thing these 2 viruses have in common.  

14 days ago
5/28/03

this will bankrupt several of my friend's gyms.

we've never seen anything resembling a reaction like this when it was zika/bird/swine/british mad cow/foot in ass disease/etc

it doesnt seem reasonable and seems like a dangerous precedent that can now be politicized going forward

14 days ago
10/8/13

A lot of people want to attach a dollar sign to what human lives are worth. This is abhorrent.

14 days ago
1/14/07

.@nytimes has video from a hospital in Elmhurst, Queens. It is horrifying.

"We had to get a refrigerated truck to store the bodies of patients who are dying."

"Five ventilators...there's a mythical 100 ventilators out there that we haven't seen." https://t.co/zARPofu6pS pic.twitter.com/JxKl46H5RC

— Tim Hogan (@timjhogan) March 26, 2020

No big deal.... obviously.
14 days ago
1/1/01

I've said the following before (maybe in one of your other threads, NC?), and maybe it's not a good, or even valid, comparison, but here it is again anyway.

Feel free to flame away.

I live in central North Carolina. This entire state, but particularly this area, is *vastly* ill-equipped to deal with snow. As a result, whenever snow is even *slightly* in the forecast, all hell breaks loose.

What do I mean by that?

I mean people make a run on the grocery stores for milk, bread, & eggs. People start scouring the news & media for possible closures. Roads will be salted so far ahead of time, it's silly (as if there's snow forecast for Friday, I've seen them salt the roads on Tuesday).

Now, when the snow finally *does* come, 9 times out of 10, it's not much...maybe a couple inches, if that. However, that's enough to shut EVERYTHING down - schools are closed, churches don't hold service, govt employees don't have to come to work, etc.

Maybe 1 time out of 10, possibly less, is it a significant weather occurrence. Meaning it snows multiple days, people can't get out of their driveways, it turns into hardcore ice storms, we lose power, etc. (I think I can remember power going out due to snow / ice maybe once in the last 8-10 years.)

That said, those other 9 out of 10 times, the reaction still continues to be drastic. Unless the temps go up 20-30 degrees overnight and melt everything in a few hours, schools will continue to be closed, and so on. I've legit seen schools closed for up to a week after a one-day storm.

When snow is forecast, could shit go absolutely sideways? Absolutely. Does it usually? No. Should people prepare? Yes. Does the mass panic and "OMG I NEED MILK, BREAD, & EGGS NOW!" due more harm than good? 100%. Does this mean they should shrug it all off & not pay attention? Not at all.

I feel like covid has been (is) just a very substantially up-regulated version of all this.

In the end, I'm reminded of what my old man used to tell my mom when she was afraid to drive in the winter - "Driving too fast in the snow is dangerous, but so is driving too slow."

*shrug*

14 days ago
2/4/06

Total bullshit, bow to your new heroes 

14 days ago
8/26/11

I admit it I think Coronavirus/Covid19 is bullshit
14 days ago
2/13/16

OP you’re like my gay OG spirit animal.

My entire shift in the firehouse is convinced we ALL already had it a few months ago.

14 days ago
6/3/03
LiveWire -

Seems like people in the Gen X age group take this stuff more skeptically than say Millenials, yes/no?

I’ve noticed this as well. Must be all that 90s grunge music that has made us apathetic as fuck!

14 days ago
6/3/03
Darth Potato -

OP you’re like my gay OG spirit animal.

My entire shift in the firehouse is convinced we ALL already had it a few months ago.

I agree with this 100%, even the gay spirit animal bit. 

There was an illness that burned through my household a few months ago; high fever, cough etc. Matter of fact, I had asthma as a kid and for the first time since then my lungs felt “Tight” as fuck. Burned through us all in the span of about 2 weeks and we were all better. Now, that is purely anecdotal and may not have been CV but the more people I talk to the more I hear a similar story. Most likely just regular shit that comes along with the season but could be possible a lot of people were walking around with this shit and already got over it. 

14 days ago
6/3/03
androb -
Nitecrawler -

Lol why are you trying to steal willins thunder?

we’ve been saying this for weeks 

we have seen this before when it was called h1n1. 

here is the truth. We won’t see another Spanish flu.. Just think 100 years ago there was no Lysol wipes, sanitizer etc. Fuck soap and running water were luxuries 

how many people had access to dr’s or any kind of healthcare? 

if you did get sick and you and your family were in The boonies. Chances are you all got it. 

there was no work from home, no zoom, Skype... fuck there was no phone for most 

And most important (&this is what’s driving the panic now) 

there was no internet / social media / connectivity 

back then the info on what was happening and how to fight it, take precautions would only be in the daily paper. Now it’s real time 

Spanish flu will never happen again 

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject. 

14 days ago
6/3/03
Wiggy -

I've said the following before (maybe in one of your other threads, NC?), and maybe it's not a good, or even valid, comparison, but here it is again anyway.

Feel free to flame away.

I live in central North Carolina. This entire state, but particularly this area, is *vastly* ill-equipped to deal with snow. As a result, whenever snow is even *slightly* in the forecast, all hell breaks loose.

What do I mean by that?

I mean people make a run on the grocery stores for milk, bread, & eggs. People start scouring the news & media for possible closures. Roads will be salted so far ahead of time, it's silly (as if there's snow forecast for Friday, I've seen them salt the roads on Tuesday).

Now, when the snow finally *does* come, 9 times out of 10, it's not much...maybe a couple inches, if that. However, that's enough to shut EVERYTHING down - schools are closed, churches don't hold service, govt employees don't have to come to work, etc.

Maybe 1 time out of 10, possibly less, is it a significant weather occurrence. Meaning it snows multiple days, people can't get out of their driveways, it turns into hardcore ice storms, we lose power, etc. (I think I can remember power going out due to snow / ice maybe once in the last 8-10 years.)

That said, those other 9 out of 10 times, the reaction still continues to be drastic. Unless the temps go up 20-30 degrees overnight and melt everything in a few hours, schools will continue to be closed, and so on. I've legit seen schools closed for up to a week after a one-day storm.

When snow is forecast, could shit go absolutely sideways? Absolutely. Does it usually? No. Should people prepare? Yes. Does the mass panic and "OMG I NEED MILK, BREAD, & EGGS NOW!" due more harm than good? 100%. Does this mean they should shrug it all off & not pay attention? Not at all.

I feel like covid has been (is) just a very substantially up-regulated version of all this.

In the end, I'm reminded of what my old man used to tell my mom when she was afraid to drive in the winter - "Driving too fast in the snow is dangerous, but so is driving too slow."

*shrug*

VTFU. Great post. 

14 days ago
8/29/09
FETT_Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Bad Monkey -

C. All of the above. 

Which is why no one I've seen is against the corporate parts of the stimulus, we just want the proper protections in the bill to ensure that those workers actually HAVE the job to come back to. Like the requirements the Dems wanted added to McTurtle's original shitstained bill. 

The way to make sure the job is there to come back to, is to make sure as few businesses as possible fail because of the shut downs.  If a customer of mine doesn't open back up, I probably have to cut staff by a few people.  If my biggest customer doesn't open back up, that's 15 jobs at my shop, plus 300 at theirs.  If we don't open back up, that's 55 jobs.  I can't ensure everyone that they will have their job at the end of this, because there is no way to know what the economy will look like.  But if my business survives, and my customers survive, most jobs will be safe. 

14 days ago
2/4/06
Nitecrawler -
LiveWire -

Seems like people in the Gen X age group take this stuff more skeptically than say Millenials, yes/no?

I’ve noticed this as well. Must be all that 90s grunge music that has made us apathetic as fuck!

Millennials are agreeable conformists by nature. Boomers are scared or in denial