OtherGround Forums I admit it I think Coronavirus/Covid19 is bullshit

6 days ago
2/4/06
Nitecrawler -
LiveWire -

Seems like people in the Gen X age group take this stuff more skeptically than say Millenials, yes/no?

I’ve noticed this as well. Must be all that 90s grunge music that has made us apathetic as fuck!

Millennials are agreeable conformists by nature. Boomers are scared or in denial 

6 days ago
2/28/13

Edited: 6 days ago
10/8/13

I've been paying attention to this almost every day since early January when it first started. Watching the numbers and cases gradually grow day by day and it's impact on the world I'm more worried than I am skeptical. From China quarantining 4 cities containing 40 million people to now where there's at least 10 cases in my Parish alone. It's starting to become obvious that probably 50-80% of people in America are going to get this and it's going to be unavoidable. 

6 days ago
1/1/01
banco -
Nitecrawler -
RdotC -

So here is the problem...

We have all of these people saying 'if this dies down in a few weeks, that shows this was all overblown and we should have never altered our lives for this.

However, that would be the absolute best case of doing things like stay at home orders and social distancing. These things are being done with the hope that everything does quiet down within weeks.... instead of just carrying on like normal and having things grow exponentially.

I have heard it put succinctly as “Anything we do before a pandemic will appear alarmist. After a pandemic those same things will appear terribly insufficient”. 

I agree 100% with that and again hope I’m right on this. 

How is that consistent with your first post?

NC is a complicated person and it is a womans perogative to change her mind.

6 days ago
3/13/18
pumpkinpuss -
banco -
Nitecrawler -
RdotC -

We have all of these people saying 'if this dies down in a few weeks, that shows this was all overblown and we should have never altered our lives for this.

However, that would be the absolute best case of doing things like stay at home orders and social distancing. These things are being done with the hope that everything does quiet down within weeks.... instead of just carrying on like normal and having things grow exponentially.

I have heard it put succinctly as “Anything we do before a pandemic will appear alarmist. After a pandemic those same things will appear terribly insufficient”. 

I agree 100% with that and again hope I’m right on this. 

How is that consistent with your first post?

NC is a complicated person and it is a womans perogative to change her mind.

Lol

6 days ago
8/23/11
saglv -

Trump seems to be taking it pretty seriously, which I think is a good thing. Do you guys think he's overreacting?

The overreaction is to shut down commerce completely 

spend that money to allocate resources where they are needed

test everyone - and quarantine the positives 

have hand sanitizer police. Put cleaning wipes out everywhere 

tell people to stay out of large crowds but don’t shut shit down. If people want to go - sign a waiver and go 

there can’t be 10’s of millions of people out of work and milllions of business to shut down 

that’s the overreaction 

6 days ago
5/28/03
MMA Promoter1 - 

A lot of people want to attach a dollar sign to what human lives are worth. This is abhorrent.

its not putting a dollar sign on human lives

it's not being ok with the gov forbidding business owners from making a living and just assuming "it'll all work out in the end"

some people's businesses will not recover form this and they should have the choice to continue working

6 days ago
1/1/01
Smokestack -

i thought masks like this were useless for people who did NOT have it. they dont filter out anything, are not pinched at nose or sealed at bottom and particles can be inhaled or get around spaces, and eyes not being covered by face shield exposes them, as a mucus membrane. i essentially thought masks like this were useless to prevent being infected and mocked the people wearing them at trader joe and costco as engaging in medical theatre.

6 days ago
5/14/10
OP I agree. Even the guy who originally came up with all of the scare curve diagrams is now saying they were wrong and it will be way less than they thought. When this ends everyone will see but dont expect apologies here.
6 days ago
9/8/02
USA averages about 100 fatal car crashes a day, mostly at night due to drinking...

I wonder what that figure is under quarantine with everything closed.

We could be losing less people in most states than if it were business as usual.

6 days ago
2/22/13
androb -
saglv -

Trump seems to be taking it pretty seriously, which I think is a good thing. Do you guys think he's overreacting?

The overreaction is to shut down commerce completely 

spend that money to allocate resources where they are needed

test everyone - and quarantine the positives 

have hand sanitizer police. Put cleaning wipes out everywhere 

tell people to stay out of large crowds but don’t shut shit down. If people want to go - sign a waiver and go 

there can’t be 10’s of millions of people out of work and milllions of business to shut down 

that’s the overreaction 

Good post.

6 days ago
8/17/14
kevsh -

Wants a civil discussion after using an inflammatory, clickbait thread title. Rather disingenuous to start.

Secondly, apparently you feel that your opinion on this matter was so special and unique that it needed it's own thread rather than simply adding it to any of the dozen other similar threads?

As for your argument itself, this concept of it being overblown is vague and abstract. At what point would you consider yourself right, or wrong? If in two weeks, as you say, we'll all realize it was overblown, that implies we'll all have to agree on a metric to define it. Does that mean the daily number of deaths has dramatically lowered? Stabilized? Increasing at a lower rate? 10K dead is overblown? 20k? 25k it wasn't, 23k it was? If Trump reopens the country entirely? Partially?

And if all this social distancing works, and the numbers do drop dramatically in the coming weeks, was it because we took it so seriously? The very thing you oppose could very well be the reason you are right, which begs the question - if things do get better quickly, will you admit that all these extreme measures are the reason why?

Great post. I wish people understood how little value anecdotal evidence has when there's so much real data available. 

6 days ago
12/18/08

OP lick any toilet seats yet? 

6 days ago
11/10/18
RdotC -

Yep, we’ve created a situation where no one will be happy with the results. We’ve also probably set up a scenario where if this happens again that businesses will refuse to close and it will be a real mess. That might even happen this time as many of my friends with businesses(me included) are going to honor being closed this week and next but will reopen after and I’ll absolutely just sell whatever items it takes to be considered essential. Those items won’t be my focus, but they’ll be available and I’ll be open. We’ll practice social distancing and be responsible, but we will open. I guarantee I’m fucked if I don’t do this. If you think you’re getting a bailout as a small business you live in a fantasy world. 

6 days ago
1/1/01

6 days ago
2/20/20
Hilldo -

Amen.

From my understanding the main issue is not people dying but that our healthcare system isn't adequately prepared to support the pandemic.

6 days ago
2/10/20
Bad Monkey -
KingMartyrJack -
Bad Monkey -
KingMartyrJack -
Nitecrawler -

Ok, perhaps bullshit is way too strong of a word, but it got you pissed off enough to click this thread so while you’re here just hear me out. 

First, let me get this out of the way, I don’t think this virus is part of some conspiracy to make Trump look bad or to shuffle in a New World Order (love that song by Ministry btw). I don’t think it was grown in a lab and I don’t think God created it to smite humanity. 

Now, with all that out of the way, let me say that I don’t believe the hype (another good song). Now, before people get their panties in a twist and start screaming about how blind I am, a family member has tested positive for CV19 and is presently in the hospital.

“So, why do you think it’s bullshit then, NC” you ask? Again, I don’t think it’s bullshit but I think it’s completely overblown and come another week or two people will realize this was just another mass panic where the situation should not have equaled the reaction. 

With that said, I am willing to admit that I am dead wrong about my assumptions above if shit goes downhill fast. I am willing to admit that perhaps it’s just me in denial and willing to see the truth about how bad this is. I’m willing to state all this knowing the huge backlash that is coming to this thread, but here’s the question; are you willing to admit you were wrong and that this was another “The Sky is falling moment” that people fell for?  Now, don’t get me wrong, I am prepared and have taken precautions and have made sure that my family is well stocked and protected because I am most likely wrong about this. However, at present moment, I don’t understand the panic I’m seeing to something that I believe by this time next year will be regarded as pedestrian as the flu.
Well, there you have it, flame away if you have to, but I’m hoping to keep this conversation as civil as possible. Be safe out there and let’s just say that I hope I’m right for once. 

How long have you been a mongoloid retard?

22,000 deaths worlwide (and counting) in just 3 months.  Over 200 in the U.S. just yesterday.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/85320e2ea5424dfaaa75ae62e5c06e61

At this point, anyone who thinks "maybe its bullshit" should just eat some bat soup.

Context is important. 150,000 people die in the world every single day.  How many more people per day are dying?  How many of these people that are in excess to the average were going to die in the next 6 months regardless of whether they caught the virus?

WTF do your stupid hypothetical questions have to do with the facts?

If they were no virus, 22,000 more people would be alive.

Trying to illustrate to you that the facts are this virus isn't causing any meaningful deviation from normal, everyday mortality rate of humans as a species.

Well you failed. All you're illustrating is your ability to grasp at straws.

A great poet(me) once said "Show me a man who argues with numbers, and I'll show you a fool."

6 days ago
8/29/09
KingMartyrJack -
Bad Monkey -
KingMartyrJack -
Bad Monkey -
KingMartyrJack -
Nitecrawler -

Ok, perhaps bullshit is way too strong of a word, but it got you pissed off enough to click this thread so while you’re here just hear me out. 

First, let me get this out of the way, I don’t think this virus is part of some conspiracy to make Trump look bad or to shuffle in a New World Order (love that song by Ministry btw). I don’t think it was grown in a lab and I don’t think God created it to smite humanity. 

Now, with all that out of the way, let me say that I don’t believe the hype (another good song). Now, before people get their panties in a twist and start screaming about how blind I am, a family member has tested positive for CV19 and is presently in the hospital.

“So, why do you think it’s bullshit then, NC” you ask? Again, I don’t think it’s bullshit but I think it’s completely overblown and come another week or two people will realize this was just another mass panic where the situation should not have equaled the reaction. 

With that said, I am willing to admit that I am dead wrong about my assumptions above if shit goes downhill fast. I am willing to admit that perhaps it’s just me in denial and willing to see the truth about how bad this is. I’m willing to state all this knowing the huge backlash that is coming to this thread, but here’s the question; are you willing to admit you were wrong and that this was another “The Sky is falling moment” that people fell for?  Now, don’t get me wrong, I am prepared and have taken precautions and have made sure that my family is well stocked and protected because I am most likely wrong about this. However, at present moment, I don’t understand the panic I’m seeing to something that I believe by this time next year will be regarded as pedestrian as the flu.
Well, there you have it, flame away if you have to, but I’m hoping to keep this conversation as civil as possible. Be safe out there and let’s just say that I hope I’m right for once. 

22,000 deaths worlwide (and counting) in just 3 months.  Over 200 in the U.S. just yesterday.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/85320e2ea5424dfaaa75ae62e5c06e61

At this point, anyone who thinks "maybe its bullshit" should just eat some bat soup.

Context is important. 150,000 people die in the world every single day.  How many more people per day are dying?  How many of these people that are in excess to the average were going to die in the next 6 months regardless of whether they caught the virus?

Trying to illustrate to you that the facts are this virus isn't causing any meaningful deviation from normal, everyday mortality rate of humans as a species.

A great poet(me) once said "Show me a man who argues with numbers, and I'll show you a fool."

I'm not arguing the numbers.  I'm suggesting to you that 150,000 deaths per day increasing to 150,244 deaths per day over the last three months (less actually, because some of those people would have died during that time frame with no coronavirus) is not quite worth the hysteria you want to assign to it.

6 days ago
8/29/09

Check out this graph I made to help illustrate

2/10/20
Bad Monkey -
KingMartyrJack -
Bad Monkey -
KingMartyrJack -
Bad Monkey -
KingMartyrJack -
Nitecrawler -

I'm not arguing the numbers.  I'm suggesting to you that 150,000 deaths per day increasing to 150,244 deaths per day over the last three months (less actually, because some of those people would have died during that time frame with no coronavirus) is not quite worth the hysteria you want to assign to it.

That's just retarded. None of those people who died form CoronaVirus would have died without Coronavirus. And you can't prove otherwise.

Even you know that. That's why you're not saying how many.

"150,000 people die in the world every single day." Yeah, no shit.

And how many of those die of natural causes?

See? Any fool can play that game.

6 days ago
2/10/20
Bad Monkey -

Bro ...

Image result for stop posting cat

Your "graph" literally just PERFECTLY illustrated my post. And the right bar should be higher than the left one - you're not very good at graphs lol.

Now imagine if you made a graph of ALL the individual causes of death side by side. Then you would see how silly your posts are.

Covid 19 kills people - 244/day accroding to you. No Covid 19, no people dead form Covid-19. So posting about hwo peopel die form otehr causes is.... useless. You're just trying to save face at this point. It's okay to realize your error. Go back to your original post.

6 days ago
1/1/01
Nitecrawler - 
LiveWire -

Seems like people in the Gen X age group take this stuff more skeptically than say Millenials, yes/no?

I’ve noticed this as well. Must be all that 90s grunge music that has made us apathetic as fuck!

I've read a couple of articles in the the past could of days that said that GenXers are the best prepared to handle the pandemic and shelter-in-home policies.

here's a link to one

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/coronavirus-quarantine-gen-x-was-made-boomers-gen-z-not-ncna1168021

2/19/06

This guy thought it was bullshit too.

https://i.imgur.com/2J2mPnU.jpg

6 days ago
8/29/09
KingMartyrJack -
Bad Monkey -

Bro ...

Image result for stop posting cat

Your "graph" literally just PERFECTLY illustrated my post. And the right bar should be higher than the left one - you're not very good at graphs lol.

Now imagine if you made a graph of ALL the individual causes of death side by side. Then you would see how silly your posts are.

Covid 19 kills people - 244/day accroding to you. No Covid 19, no people dead form Covid-19. So posting about hwo peopel die form otehr causes is.... useless. You're just trying to save face at this point. It's okay to realize your error. Go back to your original post.

You're right. The apocalypse is clearly upon us, as illustrated by that graph.

6 days ago
4/3/08
RdotC -

That won’t be a problem once they’ve estimated the total number of cases months from now. We will be able to compare total cases, hospitalizations and deaths. We will know if all of the precautions, and ramifications, were worth it.