OtherGround Forums I got a second interview!!! What the fuk do I do?!

10 days ago
8/23/11
Posts: 6565
Nitecrawler -

Sorry for the delayed response, lots of personal shit going on this week that needed my attention. 

Long story short, the job is mine. Hiring manager said that he needs to present my salary requirements to the higher ups, but he does not see an issue with them. He said once they sign off on it HR will reach out to me with a formal offer end of this week or early next week. 

Dude said on a personal note he knows of my work and because of me coming highly recommended from everyone he spoke to they decided to move forward with me even though some of my skill set was going to have to be learned on the job as oppose to coming in with those skills. Dude said that he thinks I’ll hit a home run in this position and said that there is no doubt in my mind that I shouldn’t see a promotion within a year or two if I perform at the level I’ve been performing at. 

Too say I’m pretty fucking pshyced would be an understatement.  

Congrats bro. 
 

it sounds like a big $ promotion coming your way... but it also sounds like you have an opportunity to make even more. 
 

you only get a few chances to take a big shot at some life changing money when you’re working for a someone else and your time is here 

1. Get your 25% raise here and now (min) 

2. Tell your hiring manager that although you’re happy with this raise ... you want to get to $x level within 5 years and you want to know what you have to do in order to obtain your goal. 
it’s so simple... but you’ve basically put it on your manager to guarantee you a certain level of pay if goals are reached 

it may be

profit goals 

sales goals

manager goals (you’re the manager in 5 years )

whatwver it is... make sure there is a plan to get there and then it’s up to you to get there 

too many people work hard then go ask for a raise ... the raise should be the 1st thing discussed and what needs to be done to attain it 

 

 

10 days ago
6/3/03
Posts: 103400

Thanks guys! I’m fucking psyched but also kind of scared shitless because of the scope of responsibilities im taking on. This is a serious “Fake it till you make it” situation that I’m taking a risk on but the reward will be amazing!

I probably won’t be transitioning to the new role until probably mid January and I have an in at the new job so I’m gonna ask them to start sending me over shit to study up on. 

10 days ago
6/30/07
Posts: 57538

BigMotherFuckingWin brother!!!

10 days ago
3/13/18
Posts: 4788
Nitecrawler -

Thanks guys! I’m fucking psyched but also kind of scared shitless because of the scope of responsibilities im taking on. This is a serious “Fake it till you make it” situation that I’m taking a risk on but the reward will be amazing!

I probably won’t be transitioning to the new role until probably mid January and I have an in at the new job so I’m gonna ask them to start sending me over shit to study up on. 

The best bet you can ever make is a bet on yourself. 

10 days ago
1/19/12
Posts: 31399

Congrats NC! Hope the personal shit you are dealing with is nothing big.

10 days ago
11/14/11
Posts: 7942

congrats to you and the crawler family.  now make this shit work.

10 days ago
10/22/14
Posts: 5469
Nitecrawler -

Thanks guys! I’m fucking psyched but also kind of scared shitless because of the scope of responsibilities im taking on. This is a serious “Fake it till you make it” situation that I’m taking a risk on but the reward will be amazing!

I probably won’t be transitioning to the new role until probably mid January and I have an in at the new job so I’m gonna ask them to start sending me over shit to study up on. 

I wouldn't worry too much. 

One of the big differences between people who are successful and people who aren't is there willingness to put themselves in positions of discomfort. Everyone else who has risen to the top has had to take on positions and responsibilities they hadn't done before. You just need to understand you are going to suck until you don't suck anymore, it's just how it is.

First day you won't know anything, but after a while you'll wake up and you'll just be the guy with all the answers, if you're smart that is when you leverage that into a promotion and start the shit all over again.

The nice thing about doing it inside your the same company is that at least you know the business which is half the battle.

One thing you need to figure out right away is how to handle situations where you don't know the answer. You need to learn to defer decision making and you need to learn who your resources are for knowledge. Figure those things out right away, don't make a rash decision just because someone wants an answer right away, if you don't know the answer, defer the decision and go to your resources. If you don't know, ask. Don't assume.

You also need to do something with your time management as well. You need to start planning your days/week if you're not already. Use your calendar, record every meeting, deadline and all important tasks. Also make sure you allocate time for learning, planning, strategizing and not just for doing. There are many different methodologies out there but I don't think they really matter, it's more important that you just do it. You will more than likely have to put in extra hours your first few weeks, but if after 3 months you're still putting in long days then you probably aren't prioritizing your time very well. 

10 days ago
11/13/14
Posts: 4726

Congrats on getting promoted to fries. 

10 days ago
4/24/07
Posts: 40489

I'm going to be like those homeless people who annoy the shit out of you when playing blackjack at a casino. "Since I told you the right move, where is my cut?"

10 days ago
6/3/03
Posts: 103404

Holy fucking shit!!!!!

Just got a fucking offer!!!!

Told him I wanted 24 hours to think about it but the money is more than I asked for!!!!!

I think I just shit myself. 

10 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 19666
10 days ago
10/22/14
Posts: 5472
Nitecrawler -

Holy fucking shit!!!!!

Just got a fucking offer!!!!

Told him I wanted 24 hours to think about it but the money is more than I asked for!!!!!

I think I just shit myself. 

Congrats man.

10 days ago
6/3/03
Posts: 103408
rushinbear -

LOL. 

Bout to make it rain up in this bitch like Diddy. 

10 days ago
6/13/03
Posts: 25162
Nitecrawler -

Holy fucking shit!!!!!

Just got a fucking offer!!!!

Told him I wanted 24 hours to think about it but the money is more than I asked for!!!!!

I think I just shit myself. 

Nice dude. Congrats!

Edited: 10 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 17041

you live in NYC? is the money ok, good, great,excellent, or amaze-balls for living in NYC?

 

Like I have a friend that works IT in NYC and he got a new job and just ordered a tesla model X, is your new job similar?

10 days ago
6/3/03
Posts: 103410
Jason -

you live in NYC? is the money ok, good, great,excellent, or amaze-balls for living in NYC?

 

Like I have a friend that works IT in NYC and he got a new job and just ordered a tesla model X, is your new job similar?

Live in Westchester county, presently work in NYC. 

New job I Will be 95% working from home and the other 5% is when I have to fly down south to one of the branches (which they will pay all expenses). 

The money is excellent and just short of amaze-balls. 

10 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 17042
Nitecrawler - 
Jason -

you live in NYC? is the money ok, good, great,excellent, or amaze-balls for living in NYC?

 

Like I have a friend that works IT in NYC and he got a new job and just ordered a tesla model X, is your new job similar?

Live in Westchester county, presently work in NYC. 

New job I Will be 95% working from home and the other 5% is when I have to fly down south to one of the branches (which they will pay all expenses). 

The money is excellent and just short of amaze-balls. 


nice, congrats!

10 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 19677
10 days ago
6/10/02
Posts: 8068
Great news. Congrats.
10 days ago
11/7/07
Posts: 26584
Congrats
10 days ago
6/3/03
Posts: 103413

Thanks guys. 

Gonna tell my manager tomorrow morning that I will be accepting the position. Wonder if they will counter or ask me to wait on accepting. 

 

10 days ago
6/6/02
Posts: 19503
Nitecrawler - 

Thanks guys. 

Gonna tell my manager tomorrow morning that I will be accepting the position. Wonder if they will counter or ask me to wait on accepting. 

 


Fuck them. Don't even think about staying in your old position.

You maxed out at your old position. The growth potential is minimal.

At the new position, the potential for growth is higher and you are starting off at the much better salary already.
10 days ago
6/3/03
Posts: 103419
fanat -
Nitecrawler - 

Thanks guys. 

Gonna tell my manager tomorrow morning that I will be accepting the position. Wonder if they will counter or ask me to wait on accepting. 

 


Fuck them. Don't even think about staying in your old position.

You maxed out at your old position. The growth potential is minimal.

At the new position, the potential for growth is higher and you are starting off at the much better salary already.

Oh, believe me, there is no fucking way I’m staying for the exact reasons you mentioned. 

Just be curious to hear how much it’s worth to them to make me stay. 

Edited: 10 days ago
6/3/03
Posts: 103428

So should I drag my nuts across my Manager’s desk tomorrow or wait until the ink is dry on my other offer?

9 days ago
6/3/03
Posts: 103438

Going to bed now and can’t wait to tell all the parties involved that I accept the new position. 

Tomorrow should be an interesting day.