OtherGround Forums If it takes you 7 1/2 hours to finish marathon

5 days ago
6/26/06

You should probably pick another local fun run to walk.   I'm certainly not supporting these city workers shit talking them if they did and I understand maybe there's some legacy runners.  But closing the streets of one of the biggest cities in the world so you can stroll for 8 hours is bullshit.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/02/world/europe/uk-london-marathon-slow-runners.html

5 days ago
7/17/17

I was trying my fucking best, alright!

5 days ago
9/4/17

I couldn't finish a marathon if my life depended on it. 

5 days ago
2/14/19
Lol at the quote from one of the clean up crew to the stragglers. “If you weren’t so fat, you could run,” and “this is a race, not a walk,” Seven and a half hours for a marathon is over a seventeen minute per mile pace which is a slow walk. Those people are probably bragging on Facebook about finishing a marathon. Get the fuck out of here with that shit. They should make people post some verified halfway decent half marathon time before even letting them register for that shit.
5 days ago
12/8/14

It would take me seven days to finish a marathon, so I’m not hating on those that do it in seven hours. 

5 days ago
1/1/01

I don't think I could walk 26 miles in one day..

5 days ago
3/5/14

Don't they have a sweep car that comes and picks you up if you aren't running at like a 5 and a half or six hour pace part way through?  I thought most marathons did this....

5 days ago
7/25/08
Meh, good for them. They're out there doing 26 miles. Regardless of pace, that's a really healthy thing to do.
5 days ago
6/26/06
Slowshot - Meh, good for them. They're out there doing 26 miles. Regardless of pace, that's a really healthy thing to do.

Screenname checks out 

5 days ago
12/17/06

Why do this shit in cities at all? Go run in the woods. No cars there. No business to impede.

5 days ago
6/26/06
Altofsky -

Why do this shit in cities at all? Go run in the woods. No cars there. No business to impede.

It's a huge financial boost to the cities.  Also generates shit ton of charity money 

5 days ago
11/13/14
Altofsky -

No one would witness your epic run in the woods. If no one sees it, why do it? 

5 days ago
6/30/14
Kwang - 
Altofsky -

No one would witness your epic run in the woods. If no one sees it, why do it? 

WRONG!

can always get the 26.2 sticker for your Subaru
5 days ago
6/30/14
but I agree, the races should have a max time and a vehicle that comes around and picks up stragglers. roads need to be reopened after a certain period of time

and if you can't walk/run 26.2 miles within a certain time then don't sign up
5 days ago
4/1/10
Altofsky - 

There are a lot of them in the woods.

They do them in cities because they are good for business.

Look at the NYC marathon, the amount of spending that happens in NYC that weekend due to the marathon is astounding.

5 days ago
4/1/10
Fan of Fanboys - but I agree, the races should have a max time and a vehicle that comes around and picks up stragglers. roads need to be reopened after a certain period of time

and if you can't walk/run 26.2 miles within a certain time then don't sign up

Most races do have a cutoff time when they close the course and a sweeper vehicle picks people up.

For London the cutoff is 5pm.

For New York 7:30 pm.

Most of them have them.

5 days ago
9/17/10
Girly -

You should probably pick another local fun run to walk.   I'm certainly not supporting these city workers shit talking them if they did and I understand maybe there's some legacy runners.  But closing the streets of one of the biggest cities in the world so you can stroll for 8 hours is bullshit.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/02/world/europe/uk-london-marathon-slow-runners.html

I agree. Entering and completing a marathon via "the marathon shuffle" has become really popular in the past 10 or so years it seems. Marathons used to be something hardcore runners would do. Now you've got a bunch of middle aged people doing them that really need to find something different to get involved with.

5 days ago
4/1/10
Slowshot - Meh, good for them. They're out there doing 26 miles. Regardless of pace, that's a really healthy thing to do.

This.

5 days ago
4/1/10
headroll - 
Girly -

I agree. Entering and completing a marathon via "the marathon shuffle" has become really popular in the past 10 or so years it seems. Marathons used to be something hardcore runners would do. Now you've got a bunch of middle aged people doing them that really need to find something different to get involved with.

Not true.

For the NYC marathon there has always been a very wide spectrum of runners. Fred Lebow who founded the marathon was not a "hard core" runner at all.

Why do people you don't know really have to find something different to be involved in, because you say so?

Edited: 5 days ago
6/26/06

5 days ago
6/26/06

5 days ago
7/23/09

5 days ago
2/8/08
Zned - 
Altofsky - 

Look at the NYC marathon, the amount of spending that happens in NYC that weekend due to the marathon is astounding.

Is there a number for money lost? How many businesses suffer? I imagine, unless you are marketing to runners or tourists, youre not having a good week during a marathon.

I avoid big cities as much as I can, and dont see a marathon in my future, so Im just asking out of curiosity.
5 days ago
4/1/10

I have run marathons between 4:20 and 8:10 for varying reasons, and they were all enjoyable.

You should be careful criticizing people who run slow, you don't know what they may have overcome to get there in the first place, and what you call a slow shuffle, could be someones incredible victory over adversity.

5 days ago
7/25/08
SeattlesbigDprolapsedME - 
Zned - 
Altofsky - 

Is there a number for money lost? How many businesses suffer? I imagine, unless you are marketing to runners or tourists, youre not having a good week during a marathon.

I avoid big cities as much as I can, and dont see a marathon in my future, so Im just asking out of curiosity.

https://www.baa.org/2019-boston-marathon-injects-more-200-million-greater-boston-economy