OtherGround Forums I’m Going To Skid Steer Training On Monday.

9/19/20 7:27 PM
11/8/09

Work is putting me through a day long course to be qualified to drive a skid steer. I used to operate one when I first got into construction so it’ll be fun to get back in the seat and play around again. 

So far I’ve been at this job a year and they’ve put me through my 1A and now skid steer. It’s funny because I’m a utility/power electrician so I’ll likely never drive a semi and rarely use a skid steer. I’m angling for excavator training next.

Some of the guys on the crew were whining that they’ve been around longer and they don’t get sweet training and our foreman told them to stop calling in sick and work hard if they want specialized training. He went around the lunch table and pointed out that all the guys who produce get the training and the call in sick pooch screwers get passed over. He’s a good foreman. 

Edited: 9/19/20 7:35 PM
3/20/12
fun
I have a lot of hours
great machines
enjoy

excavator is great also but not as fun to run
9/19/20 8:18 PM
2/12/14
King Trav -

Work is putting me through a day long course to be qualified to drive a skid steer. I used to operate one when I first got into construction so it’ll be fun to get back in the seat and play around again. 

So far I’ve been at this job a year and they’ve put me through my 1A and now skid steer. It’s funny because I’m a utility/power electrician so I’ll likely never drive a semi and rarely use a skid steer. I’m angling for excavator training next.

Some of the guys on the crew were whining that they’ve been around longer and they don’t get sweet training and our foreman told them to stop calling in sick and work hard if they want specialized training. He went around the lunch table and pointed out that all the guys who produce get the training and the call in sick pooch screwers get passed over. He’s a good foreman. 

That is how its done. sir. 

if you really want to get ahead. go get the test book from your DMV and start studying for your truck driving license. get your CDL by studying an hour a night. 

9/19/20 8:19 PM
1/1/01
you sure they said you said 'drive this skid steer', and not 'this kid's so queer'?

asking from experience....
9/19/20 8:31 PM
11/8/09
Gib - you sure they said you said 'drive this skid steer', and not 'this kid's so queer'?

asking from experience....

No. I have an email. It says skid steer. It’s official and everything. I had to rsvp it because it wouldn’t go away.

9/19/20 8:43 PM
11/14/11

some things to try out

Edited: 9/19/20 8:57 PM
2/2/12

What company is providing the training? Ives? Levett?

I'm an instructor myself, only thing I have to get as an add on is my cert to teach front end loader.

9/19/20 9:32 PM
7/13/09

360's all day

9/19/20 10:18 PM
1/1/01
Can be fun.

I have driven only the wheeled ones. Is the tracked version better in mud?
9/19/20 10:31 PM
9/3/19
Gforce - Can be fun.

I have driven only the wheeled ones. Is the tracked version better in mud?

no, chains and tires unless they are the low impact tracks. mud still likes to dry to the drive as they get quite hot. wet heavy snow is much worse for building ice and throwing a track

9/19/20 10:32 PM
5/12/11

I'm an Ops Mgr with Case New Holland

9/19/20 10:37 PM
10/25/06

The low psi tracks work great. We have. t595 and it's a great machine. I recommend getting comfortable with h controls first then switching to iso for using powered attachments. H is great for what I use it for, moving pallets, pushing snow, loading and moving trailers around. Iso is great for using a breaker, trencher, etc.

When we got the machine we were doing a lot of landscaping but we aren't doing nearly as much now. Tires are better for snow but the track machines still go about 10-11 mph.

Get real comfortable in turtle before you push the rabbit.

9/19/20 10:48 PM
6/30/07

Fun