OtherGround Forums I'm growing fruits and veggies in a potted garden

5/3/18 11:27 PM
1/1/01
B Sharps -
Mutant - 
B Sharps - Same situation, I rent and the backyard is all swimming pool and patio. Got a couple tomato plants, 5 different types of peppers, cucumber, watermelon, and 5 cactus. Need to get some trellis for the everybody this weekend. This is the first time I have ever tried to grow anything. So far we got 5 little tomatoes.

Yeah I'm going to pick up a trellis this weekend for the watermelon that fucker is growing like weeds.

Cucumber is the same. When I transplanted it last week I thought I had killed it. 10 days later and the growth is crazy.

I'm going to do cucumbers got to research a good time to starting them here in the desert southwest.

5/3/18 11:30 PM
1/1/01
GaryG - in

teach me

I'm still a novice I went to my local nursery and asked them and they gave me good advice. Plus, they have everything you need plus plants from seed to starters and various growth stages. They also have pre potted which I did for the hanging tomatoes and strawberries. 

5/3/18 11:48 PM
7/16/11

In to show off my raised beds at work tomorrow 

5/3/18 11:48 PM
6/15/16

No offer of some sweet veggies??

5/3/18 11:55 PM
1/1/01
NEFARIOUS -

I don't like your tone Nefertiti! 

5/3/18 11:55 PM
4/24/07
Make sure you hire a U.S citizen to sell them for you by the freeway!
5/4/18 12:06 AM
12/22/10
Mutant -
Captain CargoShorts: Pitbull Apologist -
Mutant -

So we rent and the yard is rock but still wanted a garden so we started a potted garden. I'm growing tomatoes, jalapeños, yellow sweet peppers, eggplant, strawberries, hanging Tom Thumb tomatoes, watermelon, and a sugar cane for my terrorist neighbor. Plus last week I started an herb garden with rosemary, basil, sage, chocolate mint, parsley.

I also want to get a potted dwarf Meyer lemon tree so will be looking at a local nursery this weekend. Anyone else growing a potted garden? 

That's a beautiful garden. 

I grow stuff every year. I've got a bunch of hot peppers going this year, so far.  

Thanks but it's nothing elaborate I raised them off the ground with pallets and got a hanging plant holder. 

It doesn't have to be elaborate in order to look attractive, fuckface. 

Crop out your container garden and your back yard looks like a dumpster fire. 

I like that bench, too. It adds character as it appears to be at least partially made from fencing.

You should make some raised beds, next. 

5/4/18 12:10 AM
4/18/18

no catnip for the felines?

in a couple months post the creative ways you've managed to manage those melons.  (i use the multiple switchback method, but it's boring as fuck.)

5/4/18 12:20 AM
1/1/01
Mutant -
Mutant -

So we rent and the yard is rock but still wanted a garden so we started a potted garden. I'm growing tomatoes, jalapeños, yellow sweet peppers, eggplant, strawberries, hanging Tom Thumb tomatoes, watermelon, and a sugar cane for my terrorist neighbor. Plus last week I started an herb garden with rosemary, basil, sage, chocolate mint, parsley.

I also want to get a potted dwarf Meyer lemon tree so will be looking at a local nursery this weekend. Anyone else growing a potted garden? 

That's a beautiful garden. 

I grow stuff every year. I've got a bunch of hot peppers going this year, so far.  

Thanks but it's nothing elaborate I raised them off the ground with pallets and got a hanging plant holder. 

It doesn't have to be elaborate in order to look attractive, fuckface. 

Crop out your container garden and your back yard looks like a dumpster fire. 

I like that bench, too. It adds character as it appears to be at least partially made from fencing.

You should make some raised beds, next. 

I thought it was worse than a dumpster fire so I'll take it. 

5/4/18 12:22 AM
1/1/01
sakuscig -

no catnip for the felines?

in a couple months post the creative ways you've managed to manage those melons.  (i use the multiple switchback method, but it's boring as fuck.)

I'm getting a trellis this weekend amdand I was reading to hang them in panty hose to support them. But I'll cross that bring soon enough. 

5/4/18 1:44 AM
4/5/07
I put in a couple garden boxes at the last place I rented in LA. I didn't even ask the owner, I figured he'd be fine if I made it look nice and worst case I could pull them out.

It was the first time I'd grown in 100% bagged soil and the plants loved it. I couldn't believe how much I got out of an 8x8 space. I'll see if I can find some photos.

I have a big yard, but the layout and trees limit me to an area about 20x8 (not counting the 15 grape vines the previous owner put along the fence). But my mother-in-law just bought the property next to us which has a large completely unlandscaped back yard. Last night I stumbled on some WWII flyers for Victory Gardens and am thinking of trying to plant as close to those instructions as possible.

Did you know that during WWII, 40% of all of the US's produce was grown in home gardens?
5/4/18 1:46 AM
4/5/07

5/4/18 1:51 AM
4/5/07

Some of my harvests (each photo was what I harvested that day).  All from an 8x8 box.

A pitcher of sugar snap peas

5/4/18 2:34 AM
11/28/14

It’s so rewarding to eat something that you’ve grown yourself, don’t know why but it taste that much better than purchased from the store

same goes with catching and eating fish you caught

5/4/18 2:54 AM
3/7/03

Check out this video 

the phx area is considered a sub tropical climate and we can grow all kinds of awesome fruit trees here...avocados mango papaya banana loquat cumquat etc...all in containers 

http://youtu.be/SvoU5LmpQH4

i bought a mango tree from the ginger and the other dude I actually went to his house for a gardening expo

5/4/18 7:08 AM
3/14/16
No I have a yard, but it looks nice and good luck with it bro .
5/4/18 7:37 AM
6/15/16
Mutant -
NEFARIOUS -

Well I’m sorry for my tone!

One of my BEST friends died last week!

I’ve been very emotional lately!!

5/4/18 8:44 AM
2/2/10

Came here hoping to see pics of gays.  Thread did not disappoint.  VU

5/4/18 8:55 AM
1/1/01
GenericAmerican -

Some of my harvests (each photo was what I harvested that day).  All from an 8x8 box.

A pitcher of sugar snap peas

That's awesome! That's where I hope to be someday. 

5/4/18 8:59 AM
1/1/01
GenericAmerican - I put in a couple garden boxes at the last place I rented in LA. I didn't even ask the owner, I figured he'd be fine if I made it look nice and worst case I could pull them out.

It was the first time I'd grown in 100% bagged soil and the plants loved it. I couldn't believe how much I got out of an 8x8 space. I'll see if I can find some photos.

I have a big yard, but the layout and trees limit me to an area about 20x8 (not counting the 15 grape vines the previous owner put along the fence). But my mother-in-law just bought the property next to us which has a large completely unlandscaped back yard. Last night I stumbled on some WWII flyers for Victory Gardens and am thinking of trying to plant as close to those instructions as possible.

Did you know that during WWII, 40% of all of the US's produce was grown in home gardens?

The owner was cool with a raises garden but I this was a my first go and with the harsh AZ summer coming I wanted to the ability to moved around the plants so they get the majority of the sun before the brutal heatheat of the day sets in. 

5/4/18 9:00 AM
1/1/01
Mckraken -

It’s so rewarding to eat something that you’ve grown yourself, don’t know why but it taste that much better than purchased from the store

same goes with catching and eating fish you caught

I'm enjoying it and so far have yielded strawberries and tomatoes. 

5/4/18 9:02 AM
1/1/01
NEFARIOUS -
Mutant -
NEFARIOUS -

Well I’m sorry for my tone!

One of my BEST friends died last week!

I’ve been very emotional lately!!

Sorry to hear bro! It's these trying times to spread love and joy and celebrate life. 

5/4/18 9:04 AM
1/1/01
boxcar-for-life -

Check out this video 

the phx area is considered a sub tropical climate and we can grow all kinds of awesome fruit trees here...avocados mango papaya banana loquat cumquat etc...all in containers 

http://youtu.be/SvoU5LmpQH4

i bought a mango tree from the ginger and the other dude I actually went to his house for a gardening expo

Awesome will definitely check this out today. We thought about growing an avocado tree and saw one at the nursery but they said it would be be 5 years to produce fruit. 

5/4/18 11:38 AM
7/16/11

5/4/18 12:46 PM
4/5/07
I recommend an automated drip watering system. They even sell kits for potted plants. Even if you think you'll be good at watering consistently, plants always seem to do better with an automated system.