OtherGround Forums I'm growing fruits and veggies in a potted garden

5/4/18 12:57 PM
3/7/03
Mutant -
boxcar-for-life -

Check out this video 

the phx area is considered a sub tropical climate and we can grow all kinds of awesome fruit trees here...avocados mango papaya banana loquat cumquat etc...all in containers 

http://youtu.be/SvoU5LmpQH4

i bought a mango tree from the ginger and the other dude I actually went to his house for a gardening expo

Awesome will definitely check this out today. We thought about growing an avocado tree and saw one at the nursery but they said it would be be 5 years to produce fruit. 

Allegedly avocados are not easy to grow. More of a green thumb grower. 

Remember though u can purchase a tree at different maturity stages. (Might have to pay more) When I bought my mango tree it was only 3-4 years old and already had full sized fruit on it. 

5/4/18 2:41 PM
7/31/09

cool thread....subbed

Edited: 5/4/18 3:11 PM
10/25/07

Looks good dood!  I've got a mix of potted plants, raised beds and some other stuff in the ground.  I've had a Meyer lemon for quite a few years now, can't beat the smell of citrus blooms and usually get a few lemons a year (which for the Pacific NW is pretty good IMO).  There are also a ton of super dwarf variety fruit trees these days, I've got a peach, as well as things like columnar apples that you can grow in pots.  Also just picked up some newfangled dwarf thornless blackberry variety called 'baby cakes'.  The bees seem to be enjoying it.

With your growing season/climate you should add a passion fruit to your collection.  Really nice flowers and the fruit is so good.

5/4/18 3:16 PM
4/5/07

I'm going to try to grow potatoes in buckets this year, based on this guy's method.  I also have a potato tower going, so I'll compare the results of the two.

The tower concept 

5/4/18 3:45 PM
7/31/09
TryhardNobody -

The ppl who repeatedly make fun of me seem to have the same things in common. Boring ass d bags

"Omg how could you be getting laid all the time when all I do is grow parsley all day!!" 

Lol 

This was a weird post.... 

5/4/18 3:48 PM
4/1/10

Awesome garden mutant.

I grow tomatoes and herbs on my terrace in self watering containers.

My mom has a decent yard, but she does all containers too, but she has huge ones.

5/4/18 4:32 PM
10/25/07
GenericAmerican - 

I'm going to try to grow potatoes in buckets this year, based on this guy's method.  I also have a potato tower going, so I'll compare the results of the two.

The tower concept 

There are also fabric bags you can use, which are nice as they've got handles so you can move them around easier than the pots.  It's probably not often (if ever) that you'll need to, but if you ever do need to you'll appreciate the handles.

5/4/18 4:44 PM
1/1/01
DYS -

Nice raised bed garden you have there 

5/4/18 4:46 PM
1/1/01
GenericAmerican - I recommend an automated drip watering system. They even sell kits for potted plants. Even if you think you'll be good at watering consistently, plants always seem to do better with an automated system.

I'm going to do one eventually just haven't had time and right now I water 2 times per day and am using Mulch to help keep the soil moist and seems to be going good so far  

5/4/18 4:47 PM
1/1/01
boxcar-for-life -
Mutant -
boxcar-for-life -

Check out this video 

the phx area is considered a sub tropical climate and we can grow all kinds of awesome fruit trees here...avocados mango papaya banana loquat cumquat etc...all in containers 

http://youtu.be/SvoU5LmpQH4

i bought a mango tree from the ginger and the other dude I actually went to his house for a gardening expo

Awesome will definitely check this out today. We thought about growing an avocado tree and saw one at the nursery but they said it would be be 5 years to produce fruit. 

Allegedly avocados are not easy to grow. More of a green thumb grower. 

Remember though u can purchase a tree at different maturity stages. (Might have to pay more) When I bought my mango tree it was only 3-4 years old and already had full sized fruit on it. 

We are going to pass on avocado's for now but it's something we want to grow down the road. 

5/4/18 4:50 PM
1/1/01
Leghound -

Looks good dood!  I've got a mix of potted plants, raised beds and some other stuff in the ground.  I've had a Meyer lemon for quite a few years now, can't beat the smell of citrus blooms and usually get a few lemons a year (which for the Pacific NW is pretty good IMO).  There are also a ton of super dwarf variety fruit trees these days, I've got a peach, as well as things like columnar apples that you can grow in pots.  Also just picked up some newfangled dwarf thornless blackberry variety called 'baby cakes'.  The bees seem to be enjoying it.

With your growing season/climate you should add a passion fruit to your collection.  Really nice flowers and the fruit is so good.

I saw there a lot of dwarf fruit trees we want to start with lemons since we use a lot and move on to oranges ,apples peaches

5/4/18 4:52 PM
4/5/07
Leghound - 
GenericAmerican - 

The tower concept 

There are also fabric bags you can use, which are nice as they've got handles so you can move them around easier than the pots.  It's probably not often (if ever) that you'll need to, but if you ever do need to you'll appreciate the handles.

Yeah, I've used the fabric bags for other things. They dry out much faster, so you have to get used to the watering schedule on them. I went with plastic pots just to replicate that video as closely as possible. His system involves placing the pots into the ground about an inch, so that when the roots grow out the bottom of the pots, they can grow into the ground as needed.
5/4/18 5:14 PM
1/1/01
GenericAmerican -

The tower concept 

This will come in handy because we want to grow potatoes in the fall..

5/4/18 5:15 PM
1/1/01
Zned -

Awesome garden mutant.

I grow tomatoes and herbs on my terrace in self watering containers.

My mom has a decent yard, but she does all containers too, but she has huge ones.

Than ned I saw self watering containers at home depot but I had already bought and repotted everything so that will be phase 2 after the summer. 

5/4/18 5:18 PM
6/20/08

I hope they die since you said veggies

5/4/18 5:42 PM
1/1/01
StratTone -

I hope they die since you said veggies

Character limits in the title I'm sure the world won't explode over it 

5/4/18 8:41 PM
1/1/01

Just picked the first ripe tomato and damn you really don't realize how bland grocery store tomatoes are  It's the same thing with the strawberries.

5/5/18 12:13 AM
4/5/07

Yeah, and there are a lot of different types of fruit and vegetables that you've never seen because they don't ship well.  Like strawberries, there are a bunch of varieties (103 according to a Google search I just did)

5/5/18 2:07 AM
1/1/01
I'm growing pot in a veggie garden.
5/5/18 3:09 AM
10/1/12

Switched to miniature basil this year since the regular shit gets massive. Looks like yours may get a bit cramped in there bro imo

5/5/18 10:46 AM
1/1/01
ufcfan420 -

Switched to miniature basil this year since the regular shit gets massive. Looks like yours may get a bit cramped in there bro imo

I just planted the herb garden last week so if it gets out of control I'll replant them.

5/5/18 11:00 AM
11/23/07

I've got pots going with: 2 types of tomatoes, cayenne  peppers, purple bell peppers, purple basil, rosemary, and also planted a BlackBerry Bush in the yard.

doesn't look nearly as good as yours though!

5/5/18 12:28 PM
10/22/14

In. I built a new garden this year and I'm pretty stoked on it. We bought our house this time last year and didn't have time to do one, so I did it right this year. I'll take a pic later.

5/5/18 7:35 PM
1/5/07
Mutant - 
B Sharps - Same situation, I rent and the backyard is all swimming pool and patio. Got a couple tomato plants, 5 different types of peppers, cucumber, watermelon, and 5 cactus. Need to get some trellis for the everybody this weekend. This is the first time I have ever tried to grow anything. So far we got 5 little tomatoes.

Yeah I'm going to pick up a trellis this weekend for the watermelon that fucker is growing like weeds.

So I put us a trellis net instead of using and wood or metal type trellis. I have it angled over my watermelon and cucumber, we'll see how it does.
5/5/18 7:56 PM
1/1/01
Ruprecht - I'm growing pot in a veggie garden.

Hell yea bro!!! care to share what strains?? blue diamond and apollo 13 currently.