OtherGround Forums I'm growing fruits and veggies in a potted garden

5/5/18 8:01 PM
1/9/18
Mutant -
GenericAmerican - I recommend an automated drip watering system. They even sell kits for potted plants. Even if you think you'll be good at watering consistently, plants always seem to do better with an automated system.

I'm going to do one eventually just haven't had time and right now I water 2 times per day and am using Mulch to help keep the soil moist and seems to be going good so far  

2 times a day is alot to keep up without forgetting and should become more frequent as the summer kicks in.  Do you lift the pots to see how light they are to determine watering needs?  

You don't need an expensive self watering system. Just a small amount of drip irrigation (say half in with spaghetti lines from it without drip emitters) from the home and garden store connected to a very cheap pump plugged into a ordinary and cheap 24 hr timer.  Just fill a bucket or larger container with water and/or fertilizer. 

The more cycles of wet/almost dry/wet in a day the faster the plants will grow.  

5/5/18 8:16 PM
1/1/01
purplehaze -
Mutant -
GenericAmerican - I recommend an automated drip watering system. They even sell kits for potted plants. Even if you think you'll be good at watering consistently, plants always seem to do better with an automated system.

I'm going to do one eventually just haven't had time and right now I water 2 times per day and am using Mulch to help keep the soil moist and seems to be going good so far  

2 times a day is alot to keep up without forgetting and should become more frequent as the summer kicks in.  Do you lift the pots to see how light they are to determine watering needs?  

You don't need an expensive self watering system. Just a small amount of drip irrigation (say half in with spaghetti lines from it without drip emitters) from the home and garden store connected to a very cheap pump plugged into a ordinary and cheap 24 hr timer.  Just fill a bucket or larger container with water and/or fertilizer. 

The more cycles of wet/almost dry/wet in a day the faster the plants will grow.  

I water in the the morning before work around 5am and in the evening's around 5pm but I'm looking at something like this I see in the pics prop using a water jug which is a good idea.

http://Plant Self-Watering System Automatic Waterer Drip Irrigation with 10m Tube Kits for Potted Plants https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYQKYFD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TIK7AbBK0B38K

5/5/18 8:17 PM
1/1/01
B Sharps -
Mutant - 
B Sharps - Same situation, I rent and the backyard is all swimming pool and patio. Got a couple tomato plants, 5 different types of peppers, cucumber, watermelon, and 5 cactus. Need to get some trellis for the everybody this weekend. This is the first time I have ever tried to grow anything. So far we got 5 little tomatoes.

Yeah I'm going to pick up a trellis this weekend for the watermelon that fucker is growing like weeds.

So I put us a trellis net instead of using and wood or metal type trellis. I have it angled over my watermelon and cucumber, we'll see how it does.

Take a pic in curious how it looks and is set up. I'm going to the burs tomorrow and picking up a dwarf lemon tree and a trellis.

5/5/18 8:46 PM
1/5/07
Sort of looks like this, though I have it secured from the top of a wooden fence down to the ground, instead of a frame built for it.

http://www.trellis-netting.com/trellis-netting-img/cucumber-slanting-trellis.jpg
5/5/18 8:58 PM
1/1/01
B Sharps - Sort of looks like this, though I have it secured from the top of a wooden fence down to the ground, instead of a frame built for it.

http://www.trellis-netting.com/trellis-netting-img/cucumber-slanting-trellis.jpg

I saw those definitely too big for my smallest setup though.

5/6/18 10:46 AM
10/22/14

I know this isn't a potted garden, but here's my new baby. 5 tomato plants, 5 different peppers, sweet and red onion, corn, okra, asparagus, cucumber, zucchini, squash, sweet potato, strawberries, a pine berry, and cantaloupe.

https://imgur.com/gallery/027ia2d

Edited: 5/6/18 2:01 PM
1/1/01

Bought a a dwarf eureka lemon tree and a trellis for the watermelon at Lowes. Will take some pics after I pot it later. 

5/6/18 2:03 PM
1/1/01
DonkeyBiscuit -

I know this isn't a potted garden, but here's my new baby. 5 tomato plants, 5 different peppers, sweet and red onion, corn, okra, asparagus, cucumber, zucchini, squash, sweet potato, strawberries, a pine berry, and cantaloupe.

https://imgur.com/gallery/027ia2d

Good work there

5/6/18 2:07 PM
1/13/11
Mutant -
ABCTT_Ted Crowder (verified)* -

This is a beautiful selection and you’re making the most out of the situation, I applaud you Moo. I’m hoping to move soon, it’s been talked about for over a year.  Looks like it’s going to happen soon, so I’ll be hitting ou up for advice for my new potted garden soon! 

You have a standing invite bro when you get down here we'll hang out on mill gawking at asu coeds and have some beers. My wife shouldn't get too mad. 

Let me know when the forecast is for anything in the 80’s, I’d love to have a beer at three with you and Mrs. Moo!

5/6/18 3:27 PM
1/1/01
Mutant -

This is a beautiful selection and you’re making the most out of the situation, I applaud you Moo. I’m hoping to move soon, it’s been talked about for over a year.  Looks like it’s going to happen soon, so I’ll be hitting ou up for advice for my new potted garden soon! 

You have a standing invite bro when you get down here we'll hang out on mill gawking at asu coeds and have some beers. My wife shouldn't get too mad. 

Let me know when the forecast is for anything in the 80’s, I’d love to have a beer at three with you and Mrs. Moo!

80s lol so next October/November it's going to be 107 today. 

5/6/18 5:08 PM
3/23/06

Awesome man, I’m inspired.  Might try to set up a garden on my upstairs deck.  

5/6/18 5:30 PM
1/1/01
trampking -

Containerized gardening is great even if it's just tomatoes and and peppers it's fun.

Edited: 5/6/18 5:34 PM
1/1/01

OK I potted my dwarf lemon tree I got at Lowe's hell it already has 3 lemonade coming in on that's tiny thing. I moved the water and set up a a trellis. Moved to the sugar cane to its own pot since the watermelon was taking over and got some cinnamon basil. Also the home center had dwarf limes, dwarf nectarines, and dwarf apricots so maybe the road I'll have a dwarf tree garden.

5/6/18 8:45 PM
1/5/07
Mutant - 

OK I potted my dwarf lemon tree I got at Lowe's hell it already has 3 lemonade coming in on that's tiny thing. I moved the water and set up a a trellis. Moved to the sugar cane to its own pot since the watermelon was taking over and got some cinnamon basil. Also the home center had dwarf limes, dwarf nectarines, and dwarf apricots so maybe the road I'll have a dwarf tree garden.

Awesome, might have to look for some of the dwarf trees. Would love to have some citrus.
5/6/18 8:51 PM
10/5/17

With the 10s of hours you put in. You might save 13 cents.

5/6/18 10:29 PM
10/14/03
sassen - 

and eat healthier.

I put in a raised garden last year at my rental.

I will be planting in it again next weekend, now that the frost threat is gone.

Nice garden mutant.
5/6/18 11:46 PM
1/1/01
GenErick -
sassen - 

and eat healthier.

I put in a raised garden last year at my rental.

I will be planting in it again next weekend, now that the frost threat is gone.

Nice garden mutant.

That Erick indeed it's healthier eating, they are much more flavorful than what's in the store. Plus you can control pesticides and fertilizers you use.

Edited: 5/7/18 12:28 AM
4/5/07
Mutant - 
trampking -

Containerized gardening is great even if it's just tomatoes and and peppers it's fun.

If you're doing something small and want to keep it tidy, they have some container growing kits that look pretty good. I think Lowes and Home Depot have this one.

5/7/18 12:38 AM
4/5/07
sassen -

Depends a lot on what you grow.  If you eat a lot of salad greens and kale, you can definitely grow those yourself for almost no cost, and save $10 to $15 per week (if you're a daily organic salad eater like myself).  So for about the cost of 1 week's store bought greens, you could have 8 months of greens.  So that one item could save you $450+ a year.  

I find people will make these comments about growing your own food, but if you put the same time and effort into your lawn, people just think you really like to keep up your house.  

5/7/18 8:57 AM
1/1/01
GenericAmerican -
Mutant - 
trampking -

If you're doing something small and want to keep it tidy, they have some container growing kits that look pretty good. I think Lowes and Home Depot have this one.

I saw these at home depot for $30 I may go this route but went potted instead. Also yesterday when I went to Lowe's for my dwarf lemon tree they have self watering pots. 

5/10/18 11:04 AM
1/1/01

My dwarf Meyer lemon tree is coming along. I think I'm going to pick up a dwarf lime tree as well.
Edited: 5/10/18 12:10 PM
4/5/07

That's cool, I've never tried dwarf trees before.

I've got most of my garden planted, but I'm still working on the larger garden plot at my mother-in-laws next door.

Here's my boxes.

5/10/18 2:05 PM
1/1/01
GenericAmerican -

That's cool, I've never tried dwarf trees before.

I've got most of my garden planted, but I'm still working on the larger garden plot at my mother-in-laws next door.

Here's my boxes.

That's a beautiful raised garden! 

Edited: 5/10/18 3:07 PM
4/5/07

Thanks.  Those are grape vines on the right and raspberries all the way in the back. 

I'm in the process of starting a huge garden next door.  Right now it's just a 15x25 section of chewed up dirt, but I'll post some pictures after planting this weekend.  

5/10/18 3:46 PM
10/5/17
GenericAmerican -
sassen -

Depends a lot on what you grow.  If you eat a lot of salad greens and kale, you can definitely grow those yourself for almost no cost, and save $10 to $15 per week (if you're a daily organic salad eater like myself).  So for about the cost of 1 week's store bought greens, you could have 8 months of greens.  So that one item could save you $450+ a year.  

I find people will make these comments about growing your own food, but if you put the same time and effort into your lawn, people just think you really like to keep up your house.  

I haven't done the math but 10 to 15 a week.... 

You eat one salad a day i suppose, salad is 5 dollars? you garden for what say 3 hrs a week for upkeep. Say an hrs worth of work is worth 25 an hr. So 75 bucks worth of labour time.  Compared to 35 bucks for salad for week. Thats the way I'm looking at it.