OtherGround Forums I'm growing fruits and veggies in a potted garden

Edited: 5 days ago
8/31/07

moved a tomato plant and shifted a few things today, since had only put in 24hrs prior, figured no harm.

Didn't bother watering in again, had a shit ton of raining last night , tornado nearby.

Feel better about spacing now, left peppers crowded a bit in top left , all good I think.

Appreciate vthe help gents.

5 days ago
1/1/01
savage animal -

moved a tomato plant and shifted a few things today, since had only put in 24hrs prior, figured no harm.

Didn't bother watering in again, had a shit ton of raining last night , tornado nearby.

Feel better about spacing now, left peppers crowded a bit in top left , all good I think.

Looks good plenty of room for herbs and root vegetables or onions as well 

5 days ago
4/5/07

Nice. As the tomatoes grow, just remove any of the lower branches that are near the ground. Eventually you want about 1’ of stem with no branches or leafs to help keep fungi from splashing up and infecting the leafs. 

5 days ago
8/31/07

Thanks brothers, duly noted on both.

Not quite Mutants level hot ,but we're in the 80s temps and 80s humidity here in NC already, definitely starting late , but shouldn't be a complete failure don't think.

5 days ago
2/15/06

Been up to the mid-90s here in Florida. My tomatoe plants are pumping out a lot of green tomatoes still. I picked Celebrity tomatoes because they do well in Central Florida and they are very disease resistant. I also am growing Tommy Toe which also seem fine in the heat. I'll try to take a snap later of a couple of huge plants that have a lot of green tomatoes.

PRO TIP: I wasn't getting many green tomatoes so I prayed about it. I was lead to put Epson Salts around the plants. It worked! My plants blew up with green tomatoes with in 2 days of putting that on. None of my blossoms are dropping and they are all producing green tomatoes now. Epson Salts are Magnesium and Sulfur which are 2 of the top 6 needs of plants. It works and you guys should especially put it on your pepper plants. It really makes them produce peppers!

5 days ago
8/31/07

^dang, interesting!

5 days ago
2/4/09
StrikingMMA -

Been up to the mid-90s here in Florida. My tomatoe plants are pumping out a lot of green tomatoes still. I picked Celebrity tomatoes because they do well in Central Florida and they are very disease resistant. I also am growing Tommy Toe which also seem fine in the heat. I'll try to take a snap later of a couple of huge plants that have a lot of green tomatoes.

PRO TIP: I wasn't getting many green tomatoes so I prayed about it. I was lead to put Epson Salts around the plants. It worked! My plants blew up with green tomatoes with in 2 days of putting that on. None of my blossoms are dropping and they are all producing green tomatoes now. Epson Salts are Magnesium and Sulfur which are 2 of the top 6 needs of plants. It works and you guys should especially put it on your pepper plants. It really makes them produce peppers!

I usually throw a couple tablespoons of Epsom salt under a few inches below the level.of where I am transplanting my tomatoes. 

I also supplement with Cal-Mag later.in the season to avoid blossom end rot. I had such a hard time with my roma tomatoes and blossom end rot

4 days ago
10/11/09
NoNeed4aScreenName -
StrikingMMA -

I usually throw a couple tablespoons of Epsom salt under a few inches below the level.of where I am transplanting my tomatoes. 

I also supplement with Cal-Mag later.in the season to avoid blossom end rot. I had such a hard time with my roma tomatoes and blossom end rot

I transplanted all my seedlings yesterday. Is the epsom salt thing a must do in y’alls opinion? This is my first year growing veggies and would like to lean on your experience and avoid any pitfalls that I can. 

4 days ago
2/4/09
24vdc -
NoNeed4aScreenName -
StrikingMMA -

I transplanted all my seedlings yesterday. Is the epsom salt thing a must do in y’alls opinion? This is my first year growing veggies and would like to lean on your experience and avoid any pitfalls that I can. 

I don't think so. You can always dissolve a couple tablespoons in a gallon of water as a supplement every now and then. 

That's all the cal mag supplement I use is. The cal mag is more for me to deal with calcium deficiencies. It seems calcium is the main culprit of blossom end rot. The magnesium is just a bonus

4 days ago
4/5/07

Is prayer similar to Google?  I don’t pray, but Google will lead you to this:

”Add two tablespoons of Epsom salt to a gallon of water and use tank sprayer to apply the mix once a month substituting the spray for a regular watering. Use one tablespoon per gallon of water if you apply Epsom salt spray more often than once a month. Begin foliar spraying when blooms first appear.”

Foliar spraying means spraying the leafs. 

4 days ago
4/29/17
Mutant -
savage animal -

Looks good plenty of room for herbs and root vegetables or onions as well 

You think growing lettuce, tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers and zucchini in a 12'x8' garden is enough space?

4 days ago
2/25/15

After my year old Husky/Lab decided my garden I tried planting two weeks ago was perfect for digging holes, I have altered the set up. She destroyed my carrot and pea seeds, and ate a few strawberry plants. The cucumbers survived. Hopefully the cheap way works best. Bought 30 2 foot treated bamboo shoots, and spaced them out about 10” intervals around my garden. Hoping this keeps her out for a few months, and I don’t wind up with a dogkebob. The tips are flat and not sharp, so I’m hoping she gets the point. 

4 days ago
2/25/15

Top to Bottom: Cukes, onions, carrots, tomatoes, snap peas.
4 days ago
2/25/15

Left to Right: Strawberries, Blueberry bush, and two pumpkin plants.
Edited: 2 days ago
7/17/11
RosieODonnellsQueef -

My pumpkins have always gone everywhere.  I try to keep the pumpkins, squashes and cucumbers all over to once side of the garden so they can just vine out wherever they want. 

Edited: 2 days ago
2/4/09
RosieODonnellsQueef -

What type of blueberries are you growing?

I had to buy a second bush to get cross pollinating. Not all of them can self pollinate

2 days ago
4/29/09
StrikingMMA -

lol