OtherGround Forums Is a pizza business not like the EASIEST...

Edited: 8 days ago
1/1/01

8 days ago
10/13/05
JuevosConSal - 
walbjj - 

It's almost as if opening a food business doesn't involve prep time, having coolroom, freezer, fridges, stock, having to pay for electricity, gas, water rates, business insurance, council inspections, vetc, etc. 

It's almost as if rent of a few hundred a month is actually rent of a few thousand a month, unless this is the 1980s.

Its almost as if designing and making a menu that consists of unique sauces and toppings doesn't matter to the success of a pizza restaurant, because anyone can get the $5 pizzas from Costco. 

It's almost as if barriers to entry in food retail are so low that there are hundreds of similar and not similar competitors around making a small market share difficult 

It's almost as if the op never ran/started or knows what's involved in business 

Its almost as if... this didn't have so many holes in it that I wouldn't be ashamed to be alive for posting that...

haha, you are such a knob. you have absolutely no business experience. everything ive stated are pitfalls in food retail. its a nightmare. ive been in food retail for almost 25 years, have multiple stores, ive seen so many places come and go.
but please, go on and state the many holes in what ive said
8 days ago
1/2/15
walbjj -
JuevosConSal - 
walbjj - 

It's almost as if opening a food business doesn't involve prep time, having coolroom, freezer, fridges, stock, having to pay for electricity, gas, water rates, business insurance, council inspections, vetc, etc. 

It's almost as if rent of a few hundred a month is actually rent of a few thousand a month, unless this is the 1980s.

Its almost as if designing and making a menu that consists of unique sauces and toppings doesn't matter to the success of a pizza restaurant, because anyone can get the $5 pizzas from Costco. 

It's almost as if barriers to entry in food retail are so low that there are hundreds of similar and not similar competitors around making a small market share difficult 

Its almost as if... this didn't have so many holes in it that I wouldn't be ashamed to be alive for posting that...

haha, you are such a knob. you have absolutely no business experience. everything ive stated are pitfalls in food retail. its a nightmare. ive been in food retail for almost 25 years, have multiple stores, ive seen so many places come and go.
but please, go on and state the many holes in what ive said

He's trolling 

This is the OG, where rules don't matter and you can make 1000000 accounts to troll

8 days ago
6/26/06

do you know hard it is to get by the first curve going up your ass?
8 days ago
7/8/14

At my old job I used to deliver stuff to a pizza joint and that owner was the most frugal m'fer of all the restaurants I delivered to, which was cool but every single item on the invoice had to be broken down weekly (even though it didn't change) because he felt he was being screwed over.

I imagine he wasn't just making money hand over fist

8 days ago
6/28/10

OP is laughing right now at how fucking easy this place is to get. haha

8 days ago
1/1/01
BrckNoHitBk - 

OP is laughing right now at how fucking easy this place is to get. haha

We know he's trolling but it's still a mildly interesting topic.   I think this guy is Homeslice and he used to make the same kind of threads. 

8 days ago
1/1/01
OldSchoolMike - The only thing that sells in big volume is cheap shit.

Do you know how shitty of customers you are going to have to deal with with that buy cheap pizza? Straight up trash customers and there is not enough money in the world to deal with that shit.'

Also affordable pizza shop works are borderline retarded and they will steal everything you have.

This.  

A good friend of mine works in developing franchises with Jets Pizza. I talked to him about getting a franchise with some partners. 

Long story short, it really wasn’t worth the time effort and money. 

Mark

8 days ago
7/10/19
JuevosConSal -
Thebonfirexm - 

I've worked in tons of restaurants and hole in the walls. You'd be insanely surprised how much work is to be done and keeping food cost down is truly make or break the business.

Sure, order from the cheapest supplier, don't waste shit, take uneaten pizza crust and put it back through the chain so it is used in part to make the new crust, I get all that. Gotta be frugal for sure, can't be a spendthrift loser just pissing money away right and left...

Are we going to gloss over the "take uneaten pizza crust and put it back through the chain so it used to make the new crust"? Does this actually happen?

I suddenly don't think i like pizza any more

8 days ago
1/1/01
Mark1 - 
OldSchoolMike - The only thing that sells in big volume is cheap shit.

Do you know how shitty of customers you are going to have to deal with with that buy cheap pizza? Straight up trash customers and there is not enough money in the world to deal with that shit.'

Also affordable pizza shop works are borderline retarded and they will steal everything you have.

This.  

A good friend of mine works in developing franchises with Jets Pizza. I talked to him about getting a franchise with some partners. 

Long story short, it really wasn’t worth the time effort and money. 

Mark

If you could put in a good word for Vegito Blue and get him in the running for LEAD driver, he'd really appreciate it. 

-Not Mark

8 days ago
10/2/12

I know this is a troll thread but cheese is expensive as fuck. The only good thing about it is that it lasts and you don’t have much waste. Moats pizza places proably only survive on beer sales alone. 

8 days ago
1/1/01

get that cheese! Sacco Pizza, my favorite slice in Manhattan.
8 days ago
6/26/06

We haven't had one employee that smokes in over 13 years.  Must be a world record in the restaurant industry 

8 days ago
11/16/17
bakobell -

I know this is a troll thread but cheese is expensive as fuck. The only good thing about it is that it lasts and you don’t have much waste. Moats pizza places proably only survive on beer sales alone. 

Thia is what I'm saying about the place down the road next to the college. It's the beers on tap that keep them alive.

8 days ago
11/16/17
Girly -

We haven't had one employee that smokes in over 13 years.  Must be a world record in the restaurant industry 

That's fucking amazing.

8 days ago
10/22/14
NutBerryFields -
JuevosConSal -
Thebonfirexm - 

I've worked in tons of restaurants and hole in the walls. You'd be insanely surprised how much work is to be done and keeping food cost down is truly make or break the business.

Sure, order from the cheapest supplier, don't waste shit, take uneaten pizza crust and put it back through the chain so it is used in part to make the new crust, I get all that. Gotta be frugal for sure, can't be a spendthrift loser just pissing money away right and left...

Are we going to gloss over the "take uneaten pizza crust and put it back through the chain so it used to make the new crust"? Does this actually happen?

Lol obviously not. Dough is so cheap it's almost free. It's a couple of pennies a pizza, not even joking. Cheese is not even that expensive... it's just the most expensive thing in a pizza place because everything else is so fucking cheap.

Pizza business has extremely high gross margins. Much higher than almost every other type of restaurant. 

They fail for other reasons. It's usually more about not selling enough rather than high costs.

7 days ago
1/19/12
Jayn200 -
NutBerryFields -
JuevosConSal -
Thebonfirexm - 

Lol obviously not. Dough is so cheap it's almost free. It's a couple of pennies a pizza, not even joking. Cheese is not even that expensive... it's just the most expensive thing in a pizza place because everything else is so fucking cheap.

Pizza business has extremely high gross margins. Much higher than almost every other type of restaurant. 

They fail for other reasons. It's usually more about not selling enough rather than high costs.

LMAO at a couple of pennies. Decent pizza dough, made with good ingredients would 60-80 cents depending on size off pizza.

You want crap flour and other ingredients, it’s still half a buck.

7 days ago
4/9/19
Girly -

Wanna see a bill for just cheese?

I worked at papa John's in college. They always told us "cheese is gold".   It was the bulk of food cost.

7 days ago
7/8/14

7 days ago
6/26/06
Thebonfirexm -
Girly -

That's fucking amazing.

But we jerk off in there uncontrollably 

7 days ago
11/16/17
Girly -
Thebonfirexm -
Girly -

That's fucking amazing.

But we jerk off in there uncontrollably 

What ever keeps people from leaving the line.

Every single restaurant I've worked in everyone on the line smoked. It was funny watching front of the house not be allowed to go smoke cause of the customers smelling it. You could see the rage when we would be outside when they change the trashes and stuff and we are just having laughs out back 

7 days ago
6/3/11
I'm the Black Dog -
walbjj -

Buy at Costco for$5, sell for $8.

It's a bullet proof business plan.

That wouldn't cover your overhead of everything. 

7 days ago
10/10/02
I'm the Black Dog -
walbjj -

Buy at Costco for$5, sell for $8.

It's a bullet proof business plan.

I knew a guy who sold costco frozen hamburgers and hotdogs outside of a busy bar for 5 dollars a piece. He netted 85-100k cash a year for over 5 years working 12-5am 4 nights a week. 

Quit when he saved up enough money to open a restaurant 

7 days ago
1/24/16
JuevosConSal -
Thebonfirexm - 

LOL reuse pizza crust. That must be the funniest shit I have ever heard. please start a pizza shop, call it pizza slice. oh wait you don't need to you already have millions. 

7 days ago
4/7/16

I know a guy who runs a pizza place. He comes from money, so I doubt he makes what it would appear he makes. $500,000 house and brand new vehicles 10 years ago when he was just starting out. He still does pretty well though. A good amount of his income comes from lunch crowd. Slices don't make the money, but selling sodas by the can does. Used to charge $1.50 per can, probably more now.