OtherGround Forums Is the run on guns and ammo on?

17 days ago
11/21/15

Is there any advantages to buying at a B&M store like Cabelas vs buying online?  If no advantage, who are some of the reliable online retailers that you've used?

17 days ago
6/26/06
cfochs - 

Is there any advantages to buying at a B&M store like Cabelas vs buying online?  If no advantage, who are some of the reliable online retailers that you've used?

There are several search engines and aggregators, I use gundeals the websit and the subreddit. Theyve got pricing down to a science and link to all the big sellers.

17 days ago
5/2/02
cfochs -

I’ve had perfectly fine luck with Buds.  

17 days ago
1/1/01

I went to my local outdoor store today. Shelves were still plenty stocked, people too worried about buying TP

17 days ago
8/7/12

Ive been tracking sg-ammo prices for the last 2 months. I always felt those guys were good people and never have had an issue with an order and will continue to do business with them in the future. Its blatantly obvious those dicks jumped on the hysteria and jacked their prices up literally overnight. Thats not cool. 

17 days ago
7/2/07
baj54 - 

Ive been tracking sg-ammo prices for the last 2 months. I always felt those guys were good people and never have had an issue with an order and will continue to do business with them in the future. Its blatantly obvious those dicks jumped on the hysteria and jacked their prices up literally overnight. Thats not cool. 

SG did it ?

Yes I used to order a lot of product from them.

Let me know if that is the case since I have not been tracking.
16 days ago
1/1/01
williepep - 
baj54 - 

SG did it ?

I just checked SG's price on 9mm because of that post. I only follow Federal 9mm, Speer Lawman 9mm, and Wolf steel cased 9mm since those are what I buy for range ammo. It didn't look to me like their prices changed. Their selection is way down from what I can see, probably because of the increased buying. But Federal 147 grain 9mm is the same price as they've always had it. They didn't have any Speer Lawman or Wolf steel cased. Single boxes of other brands don't seem to be over priced either.
16 days ago
9/7/11

My girlfriends brother lives in Ohio. Liberal little boy went to go buy his first gun in fear of looting. Couldn’t buy one cause the owner shut it down due to too busy.

16 days ago
6/26/06
MoreThai22 - 

My girlfriends brother lives in Ohio. Liberal little boy went to go buy his first gun in fear of looting. Couldn’t buy one cause the owner shut it down due to too busy.

On the bright side he may enjoy being a road warrior gang's sex slave in the post crash apocalypse.

16 days ago
1/5/11
MoreThai22 -

Awesome.

I have a small collection. Any quasi liberal friend I know got a pic of my collection with a note saying this is why guns are a good thing at times.

16 days ago
1/1/01

I've got something that's very important also - 2 sons that are excellent shots. The older, 22, routinely wins or places in sporting clays tourneys. The younger is on the 4h shotgun team and is a 90% shooter himself. 

16 days ago
9/7/11
choadler -
MoreThai22 -

Awesome.

I have a small collection. Any quasi liberal friend I know got a pic of my collection with a note saying this is why guns are a good thing at times.

I am stacked, all my friends are stacked. They are marines and ready to and willing to group up if anything goes sideways with some shit bags. Not that I see it happening, but these days anything is possible.

16 days ago
1/1/01
cfochs -

Ammo is heavy.    Shipping charges will kill you.  

16 days ago
1/9/02
Pencil Neck - I have a couple thousand rounds of 9mm, but they're full metal jacket which is good for target shooting but over penetrate for self defense. I only have about 200 rounds of 9mm defense ammo. I think I need to double up on the defense ammo and continue to buy FMJ Ammo for practice.

its not the fmj thats the problem its the underpowered round. i wouldnt even own fmj handgun rounds. seem worthless.

fmj rifle rounds kill ppl dead

16 days ago
1/1/01
I'm sure fmj rounds are capable of killing, it's the over penetration I'm concerned about. Don't want the bullet to keep going toward who knows what after zipping through the perp.
16 days ago
1/1/01
gregbrady - 
Pencil Neck - I have a couple thousand rounds of 9mm, but they're full metal jacket which is good for target shooting but over penetrate for self defense. I only have about 200 rounds of 9mm defense ammo. I think I need to double up on the defense ammo and continue to buy FMJ Ammo for practice.

its not the fmj thats the problem its the underpowered round. i wouldnt even own fmj handgun rounds. seem worthless.

Huh?

How does a FMJ projectile make it "underpowered"?
16 days ago
1/1/01
Pencil Neck - I'm sure fmj rounds are capable of killing, it's the over penetration I'm concerned about. Don't want the bullet to keep going toward who knows what after zipping through the perp.

In a SHTF scenario is that really a consideration?

If rule of law has broken down to a point where you're going to be in a gunfight then I think whatever you have on hand would suffice...
16 days ago
1/1/01
In a SHTF scenario I would still like to keep the 5 rules of gun safety. Granted if a heated gun battle were to happen I probably wouldn't have time to be calculating every shot, but since we're not there yet and just talking about prepping, part of responsible prepping is to have enough of what you need. I feel like I need more defense ammo so that I won't have to use my stockpile of FMJ which would be more hazardous to use in my community of fairly closely built houses.
16 days ago
6/26/06
billyball2 - 
Pencil Neck - I'm sure fmj rounds are capable of killing, it's the over penetration I'm concerned about. Don't want the bullet to keep going toward who knows what after zipping through the perp.

In a SHTF scenario is that really a consideration?

If rule of law has broken down to a point where you're going to be in a gunfight then I think whatever you have on hand would suffice...

You still have to worry about legal consequences after order is restored. Those three guys that you sniped on your lawn because they were trying to rape your neighbor, they could come back to haunt you if you cant prove your version of events once law and order returns.

What would you even do with the bodies of three dudes on your lawn? Do you dump them somewhere, leave them to rot, what?

16 days ago
11/16/08
billyball2 -
gregbrady - 

Huh?

How does a FMJ projectile make it "underpowered"?

There's one of "those guys" in any gun conversation about any topic.

16 days ago
6/13/03
Pencil Neck - I'm sure fmj rounds are capable of killing, it's the over penetration I'm concerned about. Don't want the bullet to keep going toward who knows what after zipping through the perp.

The military use FMJ. Im pretty sure they work

Edited: 16 days ago
1/1/01
The military uses FMJ rifle rounds because they're mandated by the Geneva convention to do so due to the greater damage that hollow points would inflict on soldiers. And learn to read a post before you quote and comment on it. The very first phrase in my post that you quoted said I'm sure fmj rounds are capable of killing, but they over penetrate.
16 days ago
1/1/01
Stupidnewbie - 

If you stay ready, you never have to get ready.

Thats not a huge amount. If you are doing competitions you will burn through 500 rounds of each in one day.

I reload so I am easily with you.

The reason people buy guns and ammunition is the fear the government will suddenly pass laws banning or limiting them. We have seen it in the past.
16 days ago
12/2/05
Pencil Neck - 
williepep - 
baj54 - 

SG did it ?

I just checked SG's price on 9mm because of that post. I only follow Federal 9mm, Speer Lawman 9mm, and Wolf steel cased 9mm since those are what I buy for range ammo. It didn't look to me like their prices changed. Their selection is way down from what I can see, probably because of the increased buying. But Federal 147 grain 9mm is the same price as they've always had it. They didn't have any Speer Lawman or Wolf steel cased. Single boxes of other brands don't seem to be over priced either.

I ordered like $800 worth from them last week. Got 2000 of 762 and 1000 of 9mm, all FMJ though (they didn't have any bulk 9mm in JHP). Whatever, if SHTF I am going to be shooting the 7.62 mostly.

Edited: 16 days ago
12/2/05
Pencil Neck - The military uses FMJ rifle rounds because they're mandated by the Geneva convention to do so due to the greater damage that hollow points would inflict on soldiers. And learn to read a post before you quote and comment on it. The very first phrase in my post that you quoted said I'm sure fmj rounds are capable of killing, but they over penetrate.

He did misread your post. It is the Hague Convention not Geneva. And apparently we don't care anymore:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/4/23/m1152-m1153-the-army-s-new-9-mm-luger-loads/

The Army's lawyers determined that the use of hollow points by troops does not violate the Hague Convention of 1899. Army Col. Brian Stehle, who was the head of Project Manager Soldier Weapons, was quoted in a military.com article, "We have a law of war determination that stated that this type of ammunition is usable." Other "Special Purpose" rounds, including open tip match (OTM) and .45 JHPs have already been used by Special Operations troops for some time.