OtherGround Forums Is the run on guns and ammo on?

24 days ago
1/1/01
The buying is going crazy right now, but when you get a chance buy a carbine like an AR15, other types. The 556 is a good round and super common.

the 300 BLK is a good round that has a little more power than a 30-30 in the AR15, there are many other rounds available for it. These are great self defense rounds.

There are carbines in 9mm, 40, and others. The advantage of a carbine, or rifle, is they are going to be easier to be accurate. You have more points of contact with the body. The shoulder, the cheek, the hand on the grip and the hand under the barrel.

We will prob not be in a breakdown of society, but best to be prepared.
24 days ago
8/20/03

Ha!

They laughed when I started stocking up but teh POG never betrayed me!

Thanks bros!

24 days ago
1/1/01
Captain Canuck - 

Ha!

They laughed when I started stocking up but teh POG never betrayed me!

Thanks bros!

same here when I built up on long term food, I am not a real prepper, but common sense when a storm hit the stores empty out.
24 days ago
10/4/18
cfochs - 

I've got a glock and a few hunting rifles.  If I was looking to spend $500 - $1,000 on another firearm.  What would you fellas recommend?  I'm leaning towards another pistol, but I know AR's are popular too.  

12 gauge. Moss 500.
24 days ago
7/12/16

Bought 200 rounds of 9mm, 100 rounds of .223 and 100 rounds of .380 for the wife. Probably pushing 10,000 rounds now. I just need a day or two notice when Trump's gonna start the purge so I can find a good camp spot to post up with my .308 and fancy up my ghillie suit.

Edited: 23 days ago
6/3/18

Just sitting at home chilling waiting for the food and toilet paper riots

Edited: 23 days ago
1/9/02
billyball2 -
gregbrady - 
Pencil Neck - I have a couple thousand rounds of 9mm, but they're full metal jacket which is good for target shooting but over penetrate for self defense. I only have about 200 rounds of 9mm defense ammo. I think I need to double up on the defense ammo and continue to buy FMJ Ammo for practice.

its not the fmj thats the problem its the underpowered round. i wouldnt even own fmj handgun rounds. seem worthless.

fmj rifle rounds kill ppl dead

Huh?

How does a FMJ projectile make it "underpowered"?

because the faster the projectile is going to more it tends to yaw and fragment when it hits something, that has similar effects to hollow points

underpowered handgun rounds just poke neat liittle holes through things unless theyre not full metal jacket rounds and expand, like hollow points

the military doesn't use hollow points because theyre not usefull, cover penetration is very useeful in a firefight which fmj rounds do better and you dont need specially designed bullets to stop ppl when using rifles because of the greater energy of the round, besides a wounded soldier is out of the fight just like a dead one

23 days ago
1/9/02

so many handgun rambos on here

23 days ago
8/7/12

Just got back from my local cabelas. The shioment of ammo they received this morning was bareoy enough for them to fill one kart. Usually shipments fill up anywhere from 5-7 karts with stacked shelves of 6. 

They had ammo but no 556.

I bought 2 boxes of 20 guage, a box of 357 mag and a box of fed. .22lr. 

The mall across the street was completely devoid of life besides the occasional security vehicle. 

23 days ago
12/2/05
gregbrady - 

so many handgun rambos on here

People (me included) just read your post as saying FMJ is underpowered in handguns vs. JHP. You were apparently just saying handgun rounds in general are underpowered vs. rifle, which is true. It was a fair reading of your post, but thanks for the clarification.

That said, obviously handguns kill a fuckton of people, though I don't know what stats we have on ball ammo, I bet it accounts for a ton of them.

23 days ago
12/2/02

Just picked up some 30-30 for my 1946 Marlin..... I love that gun.

23 days ago
1/1/01
gregbrady - 
billyball2 -
gregbrady - 
Pencil Neck - I have a couple thousand rounds of 9mm, but they're full metal jacket which is good for target shooting but over penetrate for self defense. I only have about 200 rounds of 9mm defense ammo. I think I need to double up on the defense ammo and continue to buy FMJ Ammo for practice.

its not the fmj thats the problem its the underpowered round. i wouldnt even own fmj handgun rounds. seem worthless.

fmj rifle rounds kill ppl dead

Huh?

How does a FMJ projectile make it "underpowered"?

because the faster the projectile is going to more it tends to yaw and fragment when it hits something, that has similar effects to hollow points

underpowered handgun rounds just poke neat liittle holes through things unless theyre not full metal jacket rounds and expand, like hollow points

the military doesn't use hollow points because theyre not usefull, cover penetration is very useeful in a firefight which fmj rounds do better and you dont need specially designed bullets to stop ppl when using rifles because of the greater energy of the round, besides a wounded soldier is out of the fight just like a dead one

I think I see the disconnect.

I agree that there's no comparison between a rifle/carbine round and a handgun round. Even a hot 9mm JHP can't compare to a .223/5.56 fired from a rifle.

23 days ago
10/24/03
Noticed lots of online stores sold out or price gouging hard.
23 days ago
8/7/12
MSARiveraVALTUDO - Noticed lots of online stores sold out or price gouging hard.

Sg-ammo is price gouging like a mfer. Almost makes no sense to buy from as their prices are creeping up to what the big box stores sell ammo at. Might as well save the extra money picking up in person 

23 days ago
1/1/01
sparkyman - 

Just picked up some 30-30 for my 1946 Marlin..... I love that gun.

I have a Winchester in 30-30. I really like it. Good round, I reload almost everything I own, I need to get the dies for it
23 days ago
12/2/05

http://www.gunbot.net/

Prices seem to be holding.

23 days ago
12/2/05

Same price they had it two weeks ago:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/wolf-wpa-polyformance-762x39mm-hp-123-grain-1000-rounds?a=1582686&CJ=1&cjaffilid=7037006&cjaffsite=GunBot+LLC&cjadv=CJTSGUSA&cjadvid=1522857&utm_source=GunBot+LLC&utm_medium=CJ&utm_campaign=Redirect-Enabled+Deep+Link&cjevent=1eb716bd688e11ea8088007b0a1c0e0e

23 days ago
6/13/03

I started buying stuff up for reloading the start of the year.

23 days ago
4/27/05

Lots of online retailers running low on guns. 

23 days ago
5/2/02

This thread almost made me drop $800 on a 1000 rounds of JHP.   Then I came to my senses and realized the 400 I have are more than enough 

23 days ago
12/2/05
nottheface - 

This thread almost made me drop $800 on a 1000 rounds of JHP.   Then I came to my senses and realized the 400 I have are more than enough 

1000 rounds of what JHP?

23 days ago
1/1/01
Sogsteel - 

I started buying stuff up for reloading the start of the year.

Honestly once I started reloading I haven't worried about ammo shortages. Once i get to around 500 bullets left in a caliber I order another thousand or so (depending on deals).

Same for primers, powder, etc.
23 days ago
1/1/01
nottheface - 

If you don't go to the range on a regular basis then 400 is more than enough.

23 days ago
9/3/08
nottheface -
ABCTT_SENNIN -
nottheface -

Seems like a weird thing to stock up on.  It’s a pandemic, not a zombie apocalypse.   What’s the plan?  Defend against those who might steal your toilet paper?   

Have ammo, but no need to stock up.  

After the multiple posts on here and comments by people I know who's emergency plan was 'I'll just rob my neighbors when I have to', it seemed prudent. 

Well, prudent to not be empty, sure.  And yes, I’m saying this as someone who has probably 7,000 rounds of ammo in the house.  But realistically having three loaded mags per gun is going to be more than enough to stop a threat.  

What if there’s more than one threat? If shit gets to the point where you have to shoot someone, it won’t be an isolated incident 

23 days ago
6/26/06
Fake Pie - 
nottheface - 

1000 rounds of what JHP?

Bump for answer, you can get primo even match grade ammo for 50 cents per round, what are you buying for 80?