OtherGround Forums Ivanka Engineering the Trump Assault Weapons Ban

4 days ago
11/23/11

Ivanka Trump talking to lawmakers about gun reform legislation: report

White House senior adviser Ivanka Trump has reportedly been talking with members of Congress about gun legislation in the wake of mass shootings in Ohio and Texas that left 31 people dead earlier this month. 

Axios, citing sources familiar with the conversations, reported on Tuesday that President Trump's daughter has been quietly calling lawmakers to get a better understanding on where they stand on reforming gun laws.

She called Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) last week while he was vacationing in Hawaii to receive an update on a background checks bill he first introduced in 2013. 

"She called Manchin and said she was trying to get a sense of what bills are out there. She had him explain how they drafted the bill, where it stands and what changes needed to be made in order for it to pass," an aide to Manchin told Axios.

The aide added that Ivanka Trump did not address the White House or President Trump's position on gun legislation during their discussion.

President Trump also called Manchin last week and told him he wanted legislation before the Senate returned from recess, The Washington Post reported

In 2013, Manchin introduced a bipartisan background checks bill with Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) following a mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., that left 26 dead, including 20 children. The measure would have required background checks for nearly all firearm purchases. 

Ivanka Trump's efforts come as dozens of lawmakers urge Congress to take action on gun legislation after mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio.

Trump has been outspoken on the issue in recent weeks. She tweeted last week, "Congress should enact Red Flag laws/ Extreme Risk Protection Orders in EVERY state and increase resources dedicated to mental health support."

Congress should enact Red Flag laws/ Extreme Risk Protection Orders in EVERY state and increase resources dedicated to mental health support. https://t.co/YWgccND8dH

— Ivanka Trump (@IvankaTrump) August 4, 2019

A White House official told Axios that Trump has been working in concert with the policy and legislative teams on the issue. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Hill. 

President Trump has called for "intelligent background checks" on gun purchases in the days since the shootings. He's also expressed support for "red flag" laws, which would allow law enforcement to obtain court orders to take away weapons from individuals deemed dangerous or prevent them from buying guns. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/457197-ivanka-trump-talking-to-lawmakers-about-gun-reform-legislation-report

4 days ago
1/14/07
This will be the ultimate MAGA test.

Trump or Hardline 2A
4 days ago
9/1/07
She pulls the trigger of MAHHHHH!!!!.........
4 days ago
12/29/09

I know you guys have discussed this a million times, but what exactly is an assault rifle? Isn't everything(most) semi automatic? What wouild be the difference between a rifle that looks like a machine gun, and a hand gun? Don't they both fire at a similar rate?

4 days ago
6/13/03
RdotC - This will be the ultimate MAGA test.

Trump or Hardline 2A

Which democrats are hardline 2A? I wont be happy if Trump passes some stupid shit but its not changing my vote to anybody thats potentially better, since all the democrats are 100x worse.

4 days ago
2/11/03
Sogsteel - 

Trump or Hardline 2A

Which democrats are hardline 2A? I wont be happy if Trump passes some stupid shit but its not changing my vote to anybody thats potentially better, since all the democrats are 100x worse.

Lol
4 days ago
3/23/07

I don't see any reference to an assault weapons ban in the article.

4 days ago
12/17/06

Trump or Hardline 2A

I said from DAY ONE she was a bleeding heart liberal bitch.

She's got no business in the White House, never did. 

4 days ago
2/2/15
kingofpancakes80 -

I know you guys have discussed this a million times, but what exactly is an assault rifle? Isn't everything(most) semi automatic? What wouild be the difference between a rifle that looks like a machine gun, and a hand gun? Don't they both fire at a similar rate?

They don't know what an assault rifle is beyond black and scary

4 days ago
12/17/06

Trump or Hardline 2A

And as for the actual test, it'll come down to what he does or doesn't sign into law.

I will turn on him without hesitation if need be.

4 days ago
4/13/12
Bilge Water -
kingofpancakes80 -

They don't know what an assault rifle is beyond black and scary

it's the scary part that's important.

Edited: 4 days ago
6/13/03

Trump has also put some fantastic 2A recognizing judges in the Supreme court.  That is more significant than this IMO.

4 days ago
6/3/03
Sogsteel -

Trump or Hardline 2A

Basically this. 

He should not be fucking with 2A as that is going to hurt him, but there’s no way I’d vote for any of those lunatics on the Dems side. 

My vote really won’t matter anyway as I’m in NY and this shit state will always go blue, but I’m still fully aboard the Trump train. 

4 days ago
1/14/07
Wow...

Never thought Id see the day some of you guys would pick Trump over the 2nd Amendment.
4 days ago
5/10/04
kingofpancakes80 - 

Besides the obvious differences..
It's easier to fire a small caliber, like an AR, rapidly and accurately at any distance.
An AR has virtually no recoil, and the round is very damaging to unobstructed flesh.
Something like an AK47, with the larger 7.62 round, is just a little more volatile and less accurate -- yet has more penetration through things people might hide behind.

An AR is basically a semi-auto version of an M16.
Most AKs in the U.S. have also been modified or straight built as a semi-auto.

As fast as you can pull the trigger and reload is plenty fast enough -- and semi-auto firing is easier to be accurate.

For the record, I'm against a ban.
4 days ago
8/1/13

LOL.You are quoting RicK Wilson? Really? He hasn't been right about a single thing in about 10 years. He debases himself daily on TV.

It will never happen. I will be happy to wager screen names for whoever wants to do it, or a legitimate exodus.

Thats right, am willing to wager OG existance with anyone who has the balls to believe this is going to happen.

I know it wont happen because leftists are cowards.

4 days ago
10/2/12

What states don’t do background checks for firearms? 

4 days ago
3/3/18
RdotC - This will be the ultimate MAGA test.

Trump or Hardline 2A

Trump has also now publicly said that Chris Cuomo's outburst of profanity at being called Fredo would ban him from owning guns under Red Flag laws that Trump wants.

4 days ago
7/13/09
kingofpancakes80 -

If it's black

Black = more dangerous.

4 days ago
8/1/13
Ill Portents -

Trump or Hardline 2A

Trump has also now publicly said that Chris Cuomo's outburst of profanity at being called Fredo would ban him from owning guns under Red Flag laws that Trump wants.

Not suprised the mentally ill can't understand sarcasm.

4 days ago
7/13/09

I don't think anyone would consider the Ruger mini 14 as a assault rifle yet it's basically the same thing as a AR except it has a wood stock instead of scary black plastic.  

4 days ago
8/1/13
Ill Portents -

Trump or Hardline 2A

4 days ago
6/13/03
bakobell -

What states don’t do background checks for firearms? 

Every FFL purchase gets a backround check IIRC. Passing PPT checks in states where they are not required will esentially change nothing even though im against it since it wont stop there.

6/3/09
kingofpancakes80 -

Although expired, assault weapon usually means as defined in the 1994 ban. Copy and pasted below.  Assault rifle is different, modern ones are already banned.

Common attributes used in legislative definitions of assault weapons include:

Semi-automatic firearm capable of accepting a detachable magazine

Folding or telescoping (collapsible) stock, which reduces the overall length of the firearm

A pistol grip that protrudes beneath the action of the weapon

Bayonet lug, which allows the mounting of a bayonet

Threaded barrel, which can accept devices such as a flash suppressor, Suppressor, compensator or muzzle brake

Grenade launcher

Barrel shroud, which prevents burning of shooter's arm or hand as a safety device.

7/31/09
Hikikomori -

Ivanka Trump talking to lawmakers about gun reform legislation: report

White House senior adviser Ivanka Trump has reportedly been talking with members of Congress about gun legislation in the wake of mass shootings in Ohio and Texas that left 31 people dead earlier this month. 

Axios, citing sources familiar with the conversations, reported on Tuesday that President Trump's daughter has been quietly calling lawmakers to get a better understanding on where they stand on reforming gun laws.

She called Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) last week while he was vacationing in Hawaii to receive an update on a background checks bill he first introduced in 2013. 

"She called Manchin and said she was trying to get a sense of what bills are out there. She had him explain how they drafted the bill, where it stands and what changes needed to be made in order for it to pass," an aide to Manchin told Axios.

The aide added that Ivanka Trump did not address the White House or President Trump's position on gun legislation during their discussion.

President Trump also called Manchin last week and told him he wanted legislation before the Senate returned from recess, The Washington Post reported. 

In 2013, Manchin introduced a bipartisan background checks bill with Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) following a mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., that left 26 dead, including 20 children. The measure would have required background checks for nearly all firearm purchases. 

Ivanka Trump's efforts come as dozens of lawmakers urge Congress to take action on gun legislation after mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio.

Trump has been outspoken on the issue in recent weeks. She tweeted last week, "Congress should enact Red Flag laws/ Extreme Risk Protection Orders in EVERY state and increase resources dedicated to mental health support."

Congress should enact Red Flag laws/ Extreme Risk Protection Orders in EVERY state and increase resources dedicated to mental health support. https://t.co/YWgccND8dH

— Ivanka Trump (@IvankaTrump) August 4, 2019

A White House official told Axios that Trump has been working in concert with the policy and legislative teams on the issue. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Hill. 

President Trump has called for "intelligent background checks" on gun purchases in the days since the shootings. He's also expressed support for "red flag" laws, which would allow law enforcement to obtain court orders to take away weapons from individuals deemed dangerous or prevent them from buying guns. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/457197-ivanka-trump-talking-to-lawmakers-about-gun-reform-legislation-report

I hope the "told ya" was sarcastic from you.  Literally nothing in the article talks about any kind of ban of any weapon.