OtherGround Forums Joe Rogan talkin' s*** about our boy BearStare!

6/19/19 8:05 PM
3/25/19

Fuck anyone who has a problem with my bear friend!

6/19/19 8:20 PM
4/5/07
WikiTheWalrus -
GenericAmerican -
WikiTheWalrus -
GenericAmerican -
WikiTheWalrus -

You can tell he's a city boy that was exposed to the woods later in life. "The average person doesn't know" then goes on to descrcibe what everyone who lives in/near the woods knows from their average day walking around their yard.

Yeah, and the average person doesn’t doesn’t live in/near woods.  People are concentrated in urban areas where rats, squirrels and pigeons make up 90% of the visible wildlife (at least in the US). 

The average person knows bears and wolves are dangerous. It's ludicris to think people don't realize that.

Then you should spend some time on YouTube watching videos of people trying to pet bison in Yellowstone, or putting baby bison in their car because they thought it looked cold. Or google all the news stories of people being attacked while trying to get selfies with bears. Or people calling the police because they saw a bear eating a deer. Or people asking the police or DOT if they can move the deer crossing because deer keep getting hit and they figure that’s because we put the deer crossing at a bad spot. 

I would gather those are the extreme minority, not the people who live in or around the woods. Is that your basis for thinking the average person doesn't think bear or wolves are dangerous, like Joe believes?

Clearly you ain’t learnt to read good in the woods.

The average person doesn’t live in the woods. 

6/19/19 8:27 PM
3/15/15
in
6/19/19 8:43 PM
1/8/04
Joe did another podcast with Redban and they were wearing white NASA outfits. Never any explanation...
6/19/19 8:47 PM
12/29/09
Siciliano di Brooklyn - Joe did another podcast with Redban and they were wearing white NASA outfits. Never any explanation...

I think somehow space suits came up in conversation in an episode not too long ago. And they were trying to guess how much one would cost...and Joe jokingly(I thought), told Jamie to order one.

6/19/19 8:56 PM
5/9/06
Phuckles -
WikiTheWalrus -

You can tell he's a city boy that was exposed to the woods later in life. "The average person doesn't know" then goes on to descrcibe what everyone who lives in/near the woods knows from their average day walking around their yard.

Hes right though. I am sure a vast part of his audience doesn't know shit about wildlife. 

He’s the same way when he preaches about weed. 

Dude. We get it. You discovered weed late in life and are now experiencing all the Stoney conversations the rest of us had.....when we were 16. 

Edited: 6/20/19 10:15 PM
3/12/07
GenericAmerican -
WikiTheWalrus -
GenericAmerican -
WikiTheWalrus -
GenericAmerican -
WikiTheWalrus -

Yeah, and the average person doesn’t doesn’t live in/near woods.  People are concentrated in urban areas where rats, squirrels and pigeons make up 90% of the visible wildlife (at least in the US). 

The average person knows bears and wolves are dangerous. It's ludicris to think people don't realize that.

Then you should spend some time on YouTube watching videos of people trying to pet bison in Yellowstone, or putting baby bison in their car because they thought it looked cold. Or google all the news stories of people being attacked while trying to get selfies with bears. Or people calling the police because they saw a bear eating a deer. Or people asking the police or DOT if they can move the deer crossing because deer keep getting hit and they figure that’s because we put the deer crossing at a bad spot. 

I would gather those are the extreme minority, not the people who live in or around the woods. Is that your basis for thinking the average person doesn't think bear or wolves are dangerous, like Joe believes?

Looks like you didn't study math. Average is not majority.

6/20/19 11:38 PM
4/5/07
WikiTheWalrus -
GenericAmerican -
WikiTheWalrus -
GenericAmerican -
WikiTheWalrus -
GenericAmerican -
WikiTheWalrus -

You’re the one suddenly throwing in majority. We’ve been discussing average the entire time. And if you’d like to clarify terms, feel free to be that guy, but everyone knows what is meant be “average”. 

“In colloquial language, an average is a single number taken as representative of a list of numbers. Different concepts of average are used in different contexts. Often "average" refers to the arithmetic mean, the sum of the numbers divided by how many numbers are being averaged. In statistics, mean, median, and mode are all known as measures of central tendency, and in colloquial usage any of these might be called an average value.” (Wikipedia)

Regardless of your attempt at a semantic victory, lets continue this stupid discussion. 

“As of 2011, about 250 million Americans live in or around urban areas. That means more than three-quarters of the U.S. population shares just about three percent of the U.S. land area.” (Wikipedia page on Demography of US). 

It’s estimated that only 4% of the US population hunts (https://www.outdoorlife.com/why-we-are-losing-hunters-and-how-to-fix-it/). Obviously there are other ways to have an understanding of nature and the outdoors, but I’m guessing few who don’t hunt rally have a view of the brutality of nature because they don’t participate in it. 

All that being said, Joe might not be like your buddy Jeeter who grew up chewing on squirrels, but he perfectly represents the needed bridge between the average American bro and an understanding of the realities of nature that you can’t imagine people don’t already have.  No doubt he sounds like a douche, but he’s probably having the largest impact on keeping hunting from being banned by the next generation than any other living American. 

6/21/19 12:15 AM
9/27/12
GenericAmerican -
WikiTheWalrus -
GenericAmerican -
WikiTheWalrus -
GenericAmerican -
WikiTheWalrus -
GenericAmerican -
WikiTheWalrus -

You’re the one suddenly throwing in majority. We’ve been discussing average the entire time. And if you’d like to clarify terms, feel free to be that guy, but everyone knows what is meant be “average”. 

“In colloquial language, an average is a single number taken as representative of a list of numbers. Different concepts of average are used in different contexts. Often "average" refers to the arithmetic mean, the sum of the numbers divided by how many numbers are being averaged. In statistics, mean, median, and mode are all known as measures of central tendency, and in colloquial usage any of these might be called an average value.” (Wikipedia)

Regardless of your attempt at a semantic victory, lets continue this stupid discussion. 

“As of 2011, about 250 million Americans live in or around urban areas. That means more than three-quarters of the U.S. population shares just about three percent of the U.S. land area.” (Wikipedia page on Demography of US). 

It’s estimated that only 4% of the US population hunts (https://www.outdoorlife.com/why-we-are-losing-hunters-and-how-to-fix-it/). Obviously there are other ways to have an understanding of nature and the outdoors, but I’m guessing few who don’t hunt rally have a view of the brutality of nature because they don’t participate in it. 

All that being said, Joe might not be like your buddy Jeeter who grew up chewing on squirrels, but he perfectly represents the needed bridge between the average American bro and an understanding of the realities of nature that you can’t imagine people don’t already have.  No doubt he sounds like a douche, but he’s probably having the largest impact on keeping hunting from being banned by the next generation than any other living American. 

I’m with this guy. The average American doesn’t know shit about the wild and only a minority live in/near it. I spent a few months in Alaska, just outside Denali, and I couldn’t believe how many people acted like they were in a zoo rather than the wild. I also remember in basic training there were so many people who didn’t know shit about the woods, much less navigating in it. I’m talking about people who didn’t know which direction the sun rises and sets. 

6/21/19 12:23 AM
8/5/17

Guys.. most of us have the internet I think. There are many places I am not experienced in, but I will have known the basics long before I enter those places.

6/21/19 1:37 AM
2/2/12
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -

I thought that was Rob Zombie from the thumbnail but nope, just Duncan. 

Haha. I thought the same.

6/21/19 2:42 AM
9/22/16