OtherGround Forums Just booked cheap trip to Dominican Republic!

6/12/19 1:23 PM
4/1/10

What the hell is going on there?

6/12/19 1:23 PM
4/22/07

Beisbol

6/12/19 1:24 PM
1/1/01
Stay out of the minibar.
Edited: 6/12/19 1:28 PM
4/1/10

I have never been a fan of visiting third world countries just so you can feel rich at an all inclusive staffed by people who hate you and have big trays of shitty bacon at the breakfast buffet....

but why the hell else is anyone still going, and why isn't there a travel warning from the federal government?

People are dropping like flies.

6/12/19 1:29 PM
6/20/13

R.I.P.

6/12/19 1:32 PM
11/8/09

We went there years ago. I didn’t enjoy it at all. I went to a fancy golf course who had some pga guy’s name attached to it with my father in law. There was some lady trying to sell us golf balls through a fence.  The other side of the fence was a shanty town. 

There was poverty everywhere.

There were lots of Europeans on the resort.

6/12/19 1:33 PM
6/13/03

My brothet went a few months ago. Said he would never go back. 

6/12/19 1:35 PM
1/19/14
Weird troll topic.

6/12/19 1:38 PM
4/1/10

I can't find anything where anyone has any idea whatthe illness is.

The others are straight brutal beatings, robberies, and rapes.

6/12/19 1:42 PM
6/13/03
Zned -

My brother got sick staying at the Hard Rock, they said it was Norovirus at the time.

6/12/19 1:44 PM
7/9/10

Family Chantel.

Edited: 6/12/19 1:46 PM
4/1/10
Sogsteel - 
Zned -

My brother got sick staying at the Hard Rock, they said it was Norovirus at the time.

How does it link to the minibar, ice?

My inlaws had gastointestinal issues and all got sick when they went for a wedding.

Someo f the deaths though, they are just dropping fucking dead in horrific pain right in the room.

6/12/19 1:47 PM
11/11/14

A black guy from Detroit I know goes there often for the cheap prostitutes, Says it's a prime destinatino for the brothers

6/12/19 1:51 PM
9/10/07
Zned -

I have never been a fan of visiting third world countries just so you can feel rich at an all inclusive staffed by people who hate you and have big trays of shitty bacon at the breakfast buffet....

but why the hell else is anyone still going, and why isn't there a travel warning from the federal government?

what a weird thing to say.

why would a vacation at the DR be more about "feeling rich" than any other vacation? most vacations are about splurging more than what you could afford on a regular basis for the purpose of entertainment, relaxation, tourism, etc. why aren't all vacations pleebs trying to act rich?

6/12/19 1:54 PM
2/6/12

The wife wants to book us a trip there next year. After all the stories that have been popping up, I have no desire to go.

6/12/19 1:55 PM
1/1/01

Been to the DR twice, had no issues. Food was not the greatest but definitely better than Cuba. My whole reason for going is to lay on a beach for 7-10 days and swim in warm salt water - never leave the resort for adventuring or absorbing local culture. The only complaint I have is the Haitians trolling the beach to get people out to the local markets as it gets tiresome to stay friendly while telling them there's no way in hell I am going anywhere with them.

Stay friendly with the staff, tip early and often and probably nothing bad will happen. But, you are in a 3rd world country so it's a roll of the dice. It's still feels safer to me than Florida

6/12/19 1:56 PM
4/1/10

https://nypost.com/2019/06/12/instagram-influencer-i-was-groped-nearly-kidnapped-in-dominican-republic/

This instagram "influencer" travelled there and stayed in airbnbs, posted all about how awesome it was, but in reality she was attacked twice.

6/12/19 1:57 PM
1/1/01

Spend the extra sheckles and go to Turks and Caicos or Aruba. No large poor native population to hate you as their entire history and industry is tourism.

Edited: 6/12/19 2:07 PM
4/1/10
dabigchet - 
Zned -

why would a vacation at the DR be more about "feeling rich" than any other vacation? most vacations are about splurging more than what you could afford on a regular basis for the purpose of entertainment, relaxation, tourism, etc. why aren't all vacations pleebs trying to act rich?

For me it feels exploitive.

Many of these islands are third world nations that have been incredibly exploited by the first world countries (Jamaica is the best example). After being colonized and pillaged, they are left with a tourism based economy run by international conglomerates, not local companies or vendors, and most of which who import their products, including food, from internaitonal destinations rather than supporting the local economy.

The experience is canned. It is designed to meet your expectations, not be authentic. The resort workers pretend to like you, and to make a living pretend to be something they are not. Dancing and singing and wearing bright colors. A ficticious culture scripted to meet a foreigner's expectations.

"Ya mon, welcome to our beautiful island where everyone is happy mon", then some white guy throws them a $5 tip like he is doing them a favor and they say thank you, and he pretends like he just paid their rent. Meanwhile there is nothing but resentment. Then they dance and sing for people who just stuffed their face at an all you can eat buffet while their fmailies are home in a cinder block hut.

"A Small Place" by Jamaica Kincaid is a great read.

Life and Debt a 2001 documentary by Stefanie Black is an excellent watch.

6/12/19 2:07 PM
7/8/14
Zned -
dabigchet - 
Zned -

Many of these islands are third world nations that have been incredibly exploited by the first world countries (Jamaica is the best example). After being colonized and pillaged, they are left with a tourism based economy run by international conglomerates.

The experience is canned. It is designed to meet your expectations, not be authentic. The resort workers pretend to like you, and to make a living pretend to be something they are not.

"Ya mon, welcom to our beautiful island where everyone is happy mon", then some white guy throws them a $5 tip like he is doing them a favor and they say thank you, and he pretends like he just paid their rent. Meanwhile there is nothing but resentment. Then they dance and sing for people who just stuffed their face at an all you can eat buffet while their fmailies are home in a cinder block hut.

I honestly agree with you in regards that it's all canned and not genuine at all, to me there are plenty of other vacation destinations to hit up waaay before I would go to anywhere in Mexico, DR, etc.

6/12/19 2:13 PM
4/1/10

I honestly agree with you in regards that it's all canned and not genuine at all, to me there are plenty of other vacation destinations to hit up waaay before I would go to anywhere in Mexico, DR, etc.

It feels very exploitive to me.

6/12/19 2:14 PM
6/6/02
Zned - 
dabigchet - 
Zned -

Many of these islands are third world nations that have been incredibly exploited by the first world countries (Jamaica is the best example). After being colonized and pillaged, they are left with a tourism based economy run by international conglomerates, not local companies or vendors, and most of which who import their products, including food, from internaitonal destinations rather than supporting the local economy.

The experience is canned. It is designed to meet your expectations, not be authentic. The resort workers pretend to like you, and to make a living pretend to be something they are not. Dancing and singing and wearing bright colors. A ficticious culture scripted to meet a foreigner's expectations.

"Ya mon, welcome to our beautiful island where everyone is happy mon", then some white guy throws them a $5 tip like he is doing them a favor and they say thank you, and he pretends like he just paid their rent. Meanwhile there is nothing but resentment. Then they dance and sing for people who just stuffed their face at an all you can eat buffet while their fmailies are home in a cinder block hut.

Nobody is preventing Jamaica to step up and improve their economy.

Hell. Israel started from nothing and it's flourishing.

Look at DR. Without tourist the other side of the island is Haiti!
6/12/19 2:18 PM
10/22/14

Lol does anyone go to the carribean for an authentic cultural experience?

No.. you go because they're best beaches in the world.

The experience is similar at all the big resorts because that's what people enjoy.

Why should they feel bad about spending money and getting exactly what they want.

People who arrive for unique experiences just because they're unique have serious mental health issues.

Edited: 6/12/19 2:21 PM
4/1/10

Nobody is preventing Jamaica to step up and improve their economy.

I don't think you have a deep knowledge of the structural adjustment policies Jamaica has been held to since the 1980s.

I don't think you understand the implications of the "free trade" requirements they were held to under the Clinton administration that crushed their local dairy, beef, banana, and manufacturing industries, only to replace them with subsidized US imports like powdered milk. They were held to these standards because they were forced to take loans to pay the interest on previous loans that came with requirements that destroyed the local economies.

Jamaica was royaly fucked up by Stanley Fisher (alongw ith other third world nations) while he presided over the IMF and WB.

6/12/19 2:20 PM
9/10/07
Zned -
dabigchet - 
Zned -

sure, but you can find exploitation in many of the products you buy and the services you use. in fact, i can almost guarantee you there are far worse stories behind the products you and i used/wore/ate/whatever today than there is for service staff at some dominican resort.

and lol at "the experience is canned". exactly. if you don't want a canned experience, don't go to disney, don't go to some walled all inclusive, don't go to vegas, don't go to lots of places. people needing to chase "authentic" experiences are ruining those places as well, btw. sometimes tourists sticking to tourist shit is better for everyone.

if i am going to the dominican republic, or any other number of places the very last thing i want is a truly authentic experience.