OtherGround Forums Kettlebell Workouts

10/16/20 1:26 AM
5/2/02

Start slow. I was 45, overweight and really deconditioned.  A while ago some OGers were talking about the 10,000 kettlebell swing challenge.   So I got me a 35lbs bell and did a bunch of research on form.  i started doing 25, then 50, then 100 a day.  Eventually got to doing 3 sets of rounds of 100 (2 sets of 50 per round) witha 54”lbs bell.  Started doing push-ups after that and goblet squats.  

My experience is that it got me back in condition really well.  Not back in shape.  But got muscles working and firing again, got work capacity back up, connective tissue used to load again.   It paved the way for a lot of future exercise and losing 35+ lbs and firing up a journey to get back in shape and healthy.    

A huge part for me was that I never did kettlebell swings before so I could check my ego at the door.  I was worried about my back so I kept focused on form and not going too heavy.  I also started slow and didn’t do too many reps the first week.  I gave myself a hiatal hernia a few months prior to this because I jumped back into squatting and refused to admit I was old and out of shape.  

So hopefully this approach helps you out.  

10/16/20 1:29 AM
1/2/20
Here ya go. Cheers. Been doing this dvd for years and the more ive done it over the yaers, thats when im in the best shape. functional too, pays dividends in the gym. cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k629ktO06hg&list=PLJWmfu0MzK2X4_vHuz9PrJV_IlhQx4dz5&ab_channel=BorzhoLamroev
10/16/20 2:25 AM
2/14/10

in

10/16/20 2:25 AM
9/13/02

In

10/16/20 3:21 AM
12/3/02

Good advice. 

10/16/20 3:42 AM
9/15/07

As usual, the reddit kettlebell wiki is loaded with info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kettlebell/wiki/index?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

10/16/20 6:15 AM
5/31/07
I was at 9,500 swings when the covid mania went full swing and the gym locked down.

Possibly one of the greatest tragedies of the pandemic, honestly.
10/16/20 7:59 AM
12/17/02

In

10/17/20 10:20 AM
1/1/01
EVspinner -

Keep it simple.  Start off with basic KB exercises like the Swing and the Goblet Squat. Affter you get these down, then you can progress to the clean, snatch etc. The KB windmill is great for hip, hamstring and shoulder mobility. 

Technique is more important than anything especially at the beginning so that you don't pick up bad habits. 

I like Mike Salemi for technique, you can google his name in YouTube, he also has a bunch of videos on the Mind Pump TV channel. 

I taught Kettlebell pre-covid. The KB swing is definitely a great exercise for your entire body and cardiovascular system at the same time. 

Start off with sets of 10, then gradually work your way up. You can also do a ladder, pyradmids etc. 

I used to do 300 swings a day, I like to do them in sets of 25. 

I did my first real workout with the kettlebells today. I did the following:

1 mile run

5x 50yard farmer carries w/35lb kettlebells in each hand.

4 x15 goblet squats holding a 35lb kettlebell

4 x15 kettlebell swings with a 35lb kettlebell.

I also did some battle ropes stuff but I really focused on good technique with the kettlebells. I think my main confusion is when to engage my abs on the swings. For example, when I pop my hips to swing the kettlebell out, my abs want to extend. Do I train myself to flex and engage them when the swing is headed up, or when it’s headed down? It seems from the breathing (exhale as you pop the hips), that they should be flexed when the weight is up. Is this correct?

im sure this is a crazy question, but since Inhad all the open abdominal operations, my core has not been engaged in anything at all. I’ve taught myself to lift without core engagement for fear of popping more hernias. Now, after several years of lifting abs running without incident, the surgeons say is time to start to rehabilitate the rictus abdominals and try to close the gap caused by diastasis recti. I’d love to work to the point where I have a solid core again. Maybe then I could get back on a mat. That’s unlikely, but you have to have goals, right? I’m sure if I get these exercises right and focus on them for a couple of years I’ll be way better off. Hopefully also lose considerable weight in that time as well.

10/17/20 10:25 AM
1/1/01
nottheface -

Start slow. I was 45, overweight and really deconditioned.  A while ago some OGers were talking about the 10,000 kettlebell swing challenge.   So I got me a 35lbs bell and did a bunch of research on form.  i started doing 25, then 50, then 100 a day.  Eventually got to doing 3 sets of rounds of 100 (2 sets of 50 per round) witha 54”lbs bell.  Started doing push-ups after that and goblet squats.  

My experience is that it got me back in condition really well.  Not back in shape.  But got muscles working and firing again, got work capacity back up, connective tissue used to load again.   It paved the way for a lot of future exercise and losing 35+ lbs and firing up a journey to get back in shape and healthy.    

A huge part for me was that I never did kettlebell swings before so I could check my ego at the door.  I was worried about my back so I kept focused on form and not going too heavy.  I also started slow and didn’t do too many reps the first week.  I gave myself a hiatal hernia a few months prior to this because I jumped back into squatting and refused to admit I was old and out of shape.  

So hopefully this approach helps you out.  

For sure. I have used them before, but not for many years. Regardless, I was in wrestling and BJJ long enough to know how to arrest my ego and focus solely on technique. I actually did a few sets today before my regular workout with a 5lb dumbbell just to get the motion right. During sets if I messed up, I stopped and started again. This will be a very long process.

someone else mentioned that I should avoid swings because of my hernias for a while, but I felt very comfortable once I got the technique and I am still very powerful, and from years of Greco and free I have very explosive hips. I think I’ll be ok with the swings since I’m staying pretty light.

Edited: 10/17/20 11:33 AM
1/6/20
GuttyProfessor -
EVspinner -

Keep it simple.  Start off with basic KB exercises like the Swing and the Goblet Squat. Affter you get these down, then you can progress to the clean, snatch etc. The KB windmill is great for hip, hamstring and shoulder mobility. 

Technique is more important than anything especially at the beginning so that you don't pick up bad habits. 

I like Mike Salemi for technique, you can google his name in YouTube, he also has a bunch of videos on the Mind Pump TV channel. 

I taught Kettlebell pre-covid. The KB swing is definitely a great exercise for your entire body and cardiovascular system at the same time. 

Start off with sets of 10, then gradually work your way up. You can also do a ladder, pyradmids etc. 

1 mile run

I also did some battle ropes stuff but I really focused on good technique with the kettlebells. I think my main confusion is when to engage my abs on the swings. For example, when I pop my hips to swing the kettlebell out, my abs want to extend. Do I train myself to flex and engage them when the swing is headed up, or when it’s headed down? It seems from the breathing (exhale as you pop the hips), that they should be flexed when the weight is up. Is this correct?

im sure this is a crazy question, but since Inhad all the open abdominal operations, my core has not been engaged in anything at all. I’ve taught myself to lift without core engagement for fear of popping more hernias. Now, after several years of lifting abs running without incident, the surgeons say is time to start to rehabilitate the rictus abdominals and try to close the gap caused by diastasis recti. I’d love to work to the point where I have a solid core again. Maybe then I could get back on a mat. That’s unlikely, but you have to have goals, right? I’m sure if I get these exercises right and focus on them for a couple of years I’ll be way better off. Hopefully also lose considerable weight in that time as well.

That's great stuff, really.  I like the unilateral farmers carries as well, I have them do this in all the time.  Walking around the gym doing farmers, rack position and snatch position. 

Great question about core engagement while doing swings.  I was the one that did not recommend swings as your first exercise given your hernia situation but I probably should have been more specific to say heavy swings right off the bat especially without proper technique.  So once you have the KB deadlift (Romanian down, this should allow you to perform a proper hip hinge without arching or rounding the back.  You said that you're a big guy so doing swings with 35lbs should be alright, I like that you start off relatively easy with reps of 15 and not overdoing it. 

Now for when to brace your core, for me this should come naturally once you get your breathing down correctly.  There are different methods of breathing but the most standard method is to do spurts of exhalations as the kettlebell is going up and inhaling on the way down. You're not doing full exhale though you should stop an exhale right before your body  perefectly verticle.  The exhale should  sound somewhat similar to when boxers throw a punch, so it's not a full exhale but you stop your breathe right before the peak.  

Now this step here is important if you want to engage your core properly.  I want you to focus on 3 parts for when your body is perfectly in a straight verticle line; quads, glutes and trunk (abdominals all around).  Most people do a lazy swing, this is good for sport or for reps but if you really want a truly effective swing, focus on tightening the quads, the glutes and abdominals at the peak.  Practice will allow you to stop the exhalation right at the peak of the swing or a millisecond before.  Contract your quads, glutes and abs.  By bracing these 3 muscle groups, it will protect your lower back as well in a big way.

Hope this makes sense.

Edited: 10/17/20 11:29 AM
1/6/20

Thanks to this thread I did my 300 swings yesterday with some pushups and goblet squats in between.  

Now heading out for a trail run.  This lockdown is frustrating the best remedy is to get outside whenever possible imo.

10/17/20 11:37 AM
6/7/12

Keith Weber will fuck your tomorrow up.  You can't keep his pace you'll die... great video except his old ones. I watched one where all you could hear was wind...

10/17/20 12:42 PM
1/1/01
EVspinner -
GuttyProfessor -
EVspinner -

1 mile run

That's great stuff, really.  I like the unilateral farmers carries as well, I have them do this in all the time.  Walking around the gym doing farmers, rack position and snatch position. 

Great question about core engagement while doing swings.  I was the one that did not recommend swings as your first exercise given your hernia situation but I probably should have been more specific to say heavy swings right off the bat especially without proper technique.  So once you have the KB deadlift (Romanian down, this should allow you to perform a proper hip hinge without arching or rounding the back.  You said that you're a big guy so doing swings with 35lbs should be alright, I like that you start off relatively easy with reps of 15 and not overdoing it. 

Now for when to brace your core, for me this should come naturally once you get your breathing down correctly.  There are different methods of breathing but the most standard method is to do spurts of exhalations as the kettlebell is going up and inhaling on the way down. You're not doing full exhale though you should stop an exhale right before your body  perefectly verticle.  The exhale should  sound somewhat similar to when boxers throw a punch, so it's not a full exhale but you stop your breathe right before the peak.  

Now this step here is important if you want to engage your core properly.  I want you to focus on 3 parts for when your body is perfectly in a straight verticle line; quads, glutes and trunk (abdominals all around).  Most people do a lazy swing, this is good for sport or for reps but if you really want a truly effective swing, focus on tightening the quads, the glutes and abdominals at the peak.  Practice will allow you to stop the exhalation right at the peak of the swing or a millisecond before.  Contract your quads, glutes and abs.  By bracing these 3 muscle groups, it will protect your lower back as well in a big way.

Hope this makes sense.

This makes a lot of sense. Very similar to how we execute a hip pop when lifting an opponent in wrestling. I think that as I engage my flutes, hamstrings, and core on the extension, my posture will change from that “lazy” swing to a more rigid and controlled motion. That’s when I will be able to contract abs engage my core. You’ve given absolutely AWESOME advice. Thanks!

10/17/20 12:49 PM
2/15/03

Wiggy has an awesome program. 

10/17/20 12:51 PM
7/5/13

In

10/17/20 1:39 PM
7/27/13

in

10/17/20 2:06 PM
1/6/20
GuttyProfessor -
EVspinner -
GuttyProfessor -
EVspinner -

1 mile run

Hope this makes sense.

This makes a lot of sense. Very similar to how we execute a hip pop when lifting an opponent in wrestling. I think that as I engage my flutes, hamstrings, and core on the extension, my posture will change from that “lazy” swing to a more rigid and controlled motion. That’s when I will be able to contract abs engage my core. You’ve given absolutely AWESOME advice. Thanks!

You got it!  My pleasure. It's good to see you taking the time to focus on good technique, it'll definitely pay off in terms of injury prevention. 

10/17/20 2:18 PM
4/4/16

10/18/20 8:00 AM
1/1/01

Great info.  I really tried to keep up my fitness while covid was on but I failed bad.  Beer and pizza made a pretty regular apperance for me....along with video games and of course children lol

10/18/20 8:40 AM
2/9/09
walkinassassin -

Keith Weber will fuck your tomorrow up.  You can't keep his pace you'll die... great video except his old ones. I watched one where all you could hear was wind...

On the beach? Lol. It still has great stuff on it. He is a machine 

10/18/20 8:47 AM
1/2/20
Mit - 

Great info.  I really tried to keep up my fitness while covid was on but I failed bad.  Beer and pizza made a pretty regular apperance for me....along with video games and of course children lol

This sentence didnt come off well.
10/18/20 8:52 AM
1/1/01

the 10000 kettlebell swing is a very good excercise for beginners.

after every 50 reps i added 5 pull ups. also heaviest kettlebell we have at the gym is 24 kilogram. but its a nice challenge for sure. but not an incredible difficult one to pull of. ofcourse a 48 kilogram kettlebell is a whole different story.

10/18/20 9:31 AM
1/1/01

I don't mean to derail your thread, but I posted Dan Johns kettlebell workout here earlier, he is the originator b the way. I thought for many who are starting to workout and many who are here is a great summary of Can you go?

10/18/20 11:41 AM
2/9/09
mongrel 911 -

I don't mean to derail your thread, but I posted Dan Johns kettlebell workout here earlier, he is the originator b the way. I thought for many who are starting to workout and many who are here is a great summary of Can you go?

Dan John is the man, his podcast has so much information its amazing