OtherGround Forums Kettlebell Workouts

10/18/20 12:28 PM
10/16/10

10/18/20 1:34 PM
7/13/09

Simple and sinister is the perfect program for someone to start with. 

100 KB swings and 5 turkish get ups per arm .  Do that everyday for a month. 

10/18/20 1:35 PM
1/1/01

sub

10/18/20 1:48 PM
1/1/01

Today I did another workout.

4x15 swings

4x15 double kettlebell deadlifts.

5x50yard Farmer Carry

4x15 shoulder shrugs

Still focusing  on form. I noticed during the swings today that as Ingit fatigued, I started bending at the knees as opposed to folding at the waist. Once I realized I stopped and corrected it. Feel pretty good today.

10/18/20 2:30 PM
10/16/10
GuttyProfessor - 

4x15 swings

5x50yard Farmer Carry

4x15 shoulder shrugs

Still focusing  on form. I noticed during the swings today that as Ingit fatigued, I started bending at the knees as opposed to folding at the waist. Once I realized I stopped and corrected it. Feel pretty good today.

I'm taking it pretty slow. Noticed with swings this morning, I feel good for 1-2 minutes and then I start to lose my rhythm and so my timing and form go to shit. I can see how this can become addictive though.
10/18/20 3:46 PM
1/1/01

Sub for later. 

10/18/20 4:03 PM
1/1/01
Stache -
GuttyProfessor - 

4x15 swings

5x50yard Farmer Carry

4x15 shoulder shrugs

I'm taking it pretty slow. Noticed with swings this morning, I feel good for 1-2 minutes and then I start to lose my rhythm and so my timing and form go to shit. I can see how this can become addictive though.

I agree. I’m interested in the mechanics of it and I am excited to be able to do any type of training that involves my core. Due to the operations I had, I wasn’t able to do any core related training for the last several years. I have terrible muscle balance as a result, and I’ve learned to do different exercises without engaging my core. With this, I have to focus a lot to make sure to engage my core. I wake up feeling it the next day. I’m excited to work myself up over the next month or two and see what changes I notice in my body.

10/18/20 4:14 PM
12/26/09

I’m pretty sure I have the Simple and Sinister PDF if anyone wants it

10/18/20 4:16 PM
2/12/14
GuttyProfessor -

Anyone have any resources for good kettlebell workouts? I’m not looking to get huge. I’m 42 and overweight but ridiculously powerful. I got 2 35lb kettlebells. I want to do some good training to help burn fat and tone up. Not looking to gain size. I’d prefer to lose a fair amount of size. Any recommendations???

check out Mikemahler.com

he is the king of kettlebells. He has a free workout manual on his site with a plethora of exercise instructions. 

10/18/20 4:58 PM
10/16/10
GuttyProfessor - 
Stache -
GuttyProfessor - 

4x15 swings

5x50yard Farmer Carry

4x15 shoulder shrugs

I agree. I’m interested in the mechanics of it and I am excited to be able to do any type of training that involves my core. Due to the operations I had, I wasn’t able to do any core related training for the last several years. I have terrible muscle balance as a result, and I’ve learned to do different exercises without engaging my core. With this, I have to focus a lot to make sure to engage my core. I wake up feeling it the next day. I’m excited to work myself up over the next month or two and see what changes I notice in my body.

These things seem like they'll be great for core work. I bet you'll have excellent results.

I was getting really nervous about winter and losing all my momentum but now I'm suddenly excited to start a new routine and see what happens. I hear ya completely.
10/18/20 5:03 PM
11/4/10

Steve Maxwell Spartan 300 kettlebell workout 

I have done this a ton and it’s a good one

10/18/20 5:25 PM
5/2/02

IN

10/18/20 5:55 PM
6/23/12

In.

10/19/20 7:42 AM
1/1/01

Holy crap. I woke up today planning to do at least a 30 minute workout. My body is as sore now as it was when I did my first day of wrestling practice. I feel like I’ve been hit by a train. Muscle soreness in places I never knew I had.... I’m hoping that once the juices start flowing and I loosen up a bit I’ll feel good enough to do some swings and stuff. Ouch.

10/19/20 9:36 AM
10/16/10
GuttyProfessor - 

Holy crap. I woke up today planning to do at least a 30 minute workout. My body is as sore now as it was when I did my first day of wrestling practice. I feel like I’ve been hit by a train. Muscle soreness in places I never knew I had.... I’m hoping that once the juices start flowing and I loosen up a bit I’ll feel good enough to do some swings and stuff. Ouch.

Lol that was me after my first workout. It wasn't a pull but the muscles just below my groin were so sore that I could barely walk for a few days.
Edited: 10/19/20 12:28 PM
1/1/01

Yep. And my glutes and hamstrings. I’m getting looser as the day progresses. I think I may do a quick workout later today.

10/19/20 5:53 PM
1/1/01

Ok. I crushed it today.

4x25 swings

4x15 curls

10x50yd Farmer Carry

i rotated sets and did some jogging/sprinting in between. Overall, workout took me about 30 minutes. 

10/20/20 2:51 AM
5/2/02
GuttyProfessor -
nottheface -

Start slow. I was 45, overweight and really deconditioned.  A while ago some OGers were talking about the 10,000 kettlebell swing challenge.   So I got me a 35lbs bell and did a bunch of research on form.  i started doing 25, then 50, then 100 a day.  Eventually got to doing 3 sets of rounds of 100 (2 sets of 50 per round) witha 54”lbs bell.  Started doing push-ups after that and goblet squats.  

My experience is that it got me back in condition really well.  Not back in shape.  But got muscles working and firing again, got work capacity back up, connective tissue used to load again.   It paved the way for a lot of future exercise and losing 35+ lbs and firing up a journey to get back in shape and healthy.    

A huge part for me was that I never did kettlebell swings before so I could check my ego at the door.  I was worried about my back so I kept focused on form and not going too heavy.  I also started slow and didn’t do too many reps the first week.  I gave myself a hiatal hernia a few months prior to this because I jumped back into squatting and refused to admit I was old and out of shape.  

So hopefully this approach helps you out.  

For sure. I have used them before, but not for many years. Regardless, I was in wrestling and BJJ long enough to know how to arrest my ego and focus solely on technique. I actually did a few sets today before my regular workout with a 5lb dumbbell just to get the motion right. During sets if I messed up, I stopped and started again. This will be a very long process.

someone else mentioned that I should avoid swings because of my hernias for a while, but I felt very comfortable once I got the technique and I am still very powerful, and from years of Greco and free I have very explosive hips. I think I’ll be ok with the swings since I’m staying pretty light.

Some of the best advice I got on swings was on this forum.  The two that stick out in my mind is it’s easier to do it with a little bit of weight.  The second was practice empty and get up on your toes like you’re going to jump.  Then when loaded, keep your feet flat.  

10/20/20 10:38 AM
1/1/01

Holy crap I am sore.... should I be doing workouts every single day, or should I take a day off to heal/recover??

10/21/20 2:22 PM
1/1/01

I switched up the exercises yesterday.

5x clean and press with each arm

50 “waiter carry” with each arm 

20 Goblet lunges each leg

50 yard goblet walk

10 swings

50 yard 1 arm farmer carry each arm

10 sumo deadlifts

I worked through this rotation 4X. It took me about 35 minutes. Sweat was shooting out of me. I can see how this type of training can easily become addictive.

Edited: 10/22/20 12:17 AM
1/1/01
GuttyProfessor -

Holy crap I am sore.... should I be doing workouts every single day, or should I take a day off to heal/recover??

You should be giving yourself some time to recover. Do them every other day with active recovery inbetween.

Also, don’t neglect your abs. I find that I tweak my back with KBs much easier if I don’t do enough ab work. 

10/23/20 7:05 PM
10/16/10
Think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Did about 200 swings today (6 x 1 min), some calisthenics and then a five mile run.

Are you supposed to keep your abs flexed throughout the hip hinge and then just squeeze your cheeks at the top? Or do you relax your abs until the snap?

Also, how long do people swing for? Is it possible to turn this into a half hour or even hour long exercise? That would be killer cardio.
10/23/20 7:12 PM
1/2/20
Ice bath right after kettlebells is a good idea.
10/23/20 8:02 PM
1/1/01
Stache - Think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Did about 200 swings today (6 x 1 min), some calisthenics and then a five mile run.

Are you supposed to keep your abs flexed throughout the hip hinge and then just squeeze your cheeks at the top? Or do you relax your abs until the snap?

Also, how long do people swing for? Is it possible to turn this into a half hour or even hour long exercise? That would be killer cardio.

First time I did the 10,000 KB swing challenge, it took me about 40 mins to do 500 swings plus the exercise in between sets.
10/23/20 8:22 PM
6/14/12

In