OtherGround Forums Kettlebell Workouts

10/23/20 8:42 PM
10/16/10
pfsjkd - 
Stache - Think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Did about 200 swings today (6 x 1 min), some calisthenics and then a five mile run.

Are you supposed to keep your abs flexed throughout the hip hinge and then just squeeze your cheeks at the top? Or do you relax your abs until the snap?

Also, how long do people swing for? Is it possible to turn this into a half hour or even hour long exercise? That would be killer cardio.

First time I did the 10,000 KB swing challenge, it took me about 40 mins to do 500 swings plus the exercise in between sets.

Sounds interesting. Is it reasonable for beginners to try?

I'd probably get bored after 20 minutes but winter is coming and my cardio always goes to shit so I'd like to find something I could do at home.
10/23/20 9:25 PM
1/1/01
Stache -
pfsjkd - 
Stache - Think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Did about 200 swings today (6 x 1 min), some calisthenics and then a five mile run.

Are you supposed to keep your abs flexed throughout the hip hinge and then just squeeze your cheeks at the top? Or do you relax your abs until the snap?

Also, how long do people swing for? Is it possible to turn this into a half hour or even hour long exercise? That would be killer cardio.

First time I did the 10,000 KB swing challenge, it took me about 40 mins to do 500 swings plus the exercise in between sets.

I'd probably get bored after 20 minutes but winter is coming and my cardio always goes to shit so I'd like to find something I could do at home.

I wouldn’t recommend it for beginners. It’s possible to do it with a lighter KB but as stated, there may be form issues doing swings with a KB that’s too light. 

10/23/20 9:54 PM
10/16/10
pfsjkd - 
Stache -
pfsjkd - 

I wouldn’t recommend it for beginners. It’s possible to do it with a lighter KB but as stated, there may be form issues doing swings with a KB that’s too light. 

Appreciate it.

I'm using 16kg for two handed swings. Should I consider something heavier?
10/23/20 11:30 PM
5/2/02
GuttyProfessor -

Holy crap I am sore.... should I be doing workouts every single day, or should I take a day off to heal/recover??

You should treat it like any other weight training and give yourself a little time to recover, especially early on.   You really just need to judge the wear and tear in your body.  

10/23/20 11:35 PM
1/6/20
nottheface - 
GuttyProfessor -

Holy crap I am sore.... should I be doing workouts every single day, or should I take a day off to heal/recover??

You should treat it like any other weight training and give yourself a little time to recover, especially early on.   You really just need to judge the wear and tear in your body.  

Good advice.  Think of it as any other workout, your body needs to recovery in order to grow and get stronger.

10/23/20 11:44 PM
1/6/20
Stache - 
pfsjkd - 
Stache -
pfsjkd - 

Appreciate it.

Personally I think 35lbs is fine especially if you're a beginner/intermediate (no offense).  The most important thing is that you stay injury free. Most common injury by too much volume with swings is weakening your lower back, you don't want that.  It defeats the purpose, you're supposed to get stronger through the process not weaker. 

You could also conisider doing 300 swings per workout as opposed to 500.  So you might not reach 10k in 30 days but so what... 300 swings is still good volume. my 2 cents.

10/23/20 11:52 PM
10/16/10
EVspinner - 
Stache - 
pfsjkd - 
Stache -
pfsjkd - 

Appreciate it.

Personally I think 35lbs is fine especially if you're a beginner/intermediate (no offense).  The most important thing is that you stay injury free. Most common injury by too much volume with swings is weakening your lower back, you don't want that.  It defeats the purpose, you're supposed to get stronger through the process not weaker. 

You could also conisider doing 300 swings per workout as opposed to 500.  So you might not reach 10k in 30 days but so what... 300 swings is still good volume. my 2 cents.

Thanks. That's why I was asking if I should brace my abs during the entire move? I want to protect my lower back as much as possible.
10/25/20 4:11 PM
1/1/01
Stache -
pfsjkd - 
Stache -
pfsjkd - 

Appreciate it.

Oh I think that’s plenty heavy to do swings correctly. The first time I did the 10,000 swings was with a 35 lb KB. But I had been using KBs for years before I tried the challenge. 

10/25/20 4:27 PM
4/25/11

In

10/25/20 4:34 PM
7/2/07
EVspinner - 

There are hundreds of videos on YouTube on how to do a proper KB Swing but this one is probably my fav.

Thanks.

Have not done any of this since I was in a class a few years ago.

Have several KB

A Concept 2 rower

And tons of other equipment and I do nothing.

10/25/20 5:10 PM
5/28/02
GuttyProfessor -

Today I did another workout.

4x15 swings

4x15 double kettlebell deadlifts.

5x50yard Farmer Carry

4x15 shoulder shrugs

Still focusing  on form. I noticed during the swings today that as Ingit fatigued, I started bending at the knees as opposed to folding at the waist. Once I realized I stopped and corrected it. Feel pretty good today.

Your knees are supposed to bend, just not out past the end of your toes. A lot of good advice on here. 

The one thing that differs the most is my breathing pattern. It's important to remember to breath with your belly while doing these. I big inhale before the down motion starts with the bell.  I hold it til I explode up on the swing & inhale again quickly before decent starts again. I find it better for bracing my core especially as I climb in reps on a volume session. It is also beneficial during heavy swings. 

10/25/20 5:18 PM
1/6/20
williepep -
EVspinner - 

There are hundreds of videos on YouTube on how to do a proper KB Swing but this one is probably my fav.

Thanks.

Have several KB

A Concept 2 rower

Lol.  I just got my Concept 2 rower a 3 days ago and have been doing 6k row per day which takes about 30 mins. I've been slacking on the kettlebells as well since I got my rower since rowing does a good job at hitting the entire body.

10/25/20 6:18 PM
5/28/02
EVspinner -
williepep -
EVspinner - 

Thanks.

Have several KB

A Concept 2 rower

Lol.  I just got my Concept 2 rower a 3 days ago and have been doing 6k row per day which takes about 30 mins. I've been slacking on the kettlebells as well since I got my rower since rowing does a good job at hitting the entire body.

I have the same feels about a rower as I do the airdyne

LOVE/HATE

10/27/20 6:00 AM
6/6/00
In for later reading.
10/27/20 6:21 AM
7/8/03

IN (with a violent hip thrust)

great thread, thanks to all the experts

27 days ago
1/1/01

I’ve been doing a lot of the Chandler Marchman workouts. He posts some really good stuff on YouTube. I’ll watch a video, write down his exercises and usually run through it 2 or three times bookended by a short jog before abs after to warm up/cool down. Definitely gets your heart rate up. Grueling workouts in a very short period of time. I try for at least a 1/2 hour a day 4-5 days a week.