OtherGround Forums Kettlebell Workouts

8 days ago
1/1/01

Anyone have any resources for good kettlebell workouts? I’m not looking to get huge. I’m 42 and overweight but ridiculously powerful. I got 2 35lb kettlebells. I want to do some good training to help burn fat and tone up. Not looking to gain size. I’d prefer to lose a fair amount of size. Any recommendations???

8 days ago
1/1/01

The legend himself,

8 days ago
2/9/09

Keith Weber is all you need. His youtube channel is Gold. He also has a few DVDs, all cardio based

8 days ago
2/9/09

8 days ago
12/29/09

In

Edited: 8 days ago
1/6/20

Keep it simple.  Start off with basic KB exercises like the Swing and the Goblet Squat. Affter you get these down, then you can progress to the clean, snatch etc. The KB windmill is great for hip, hamstring and shoulder mobility. 

Technique is more important than anything especially at the beginning so that you don't pick up bad habits. 

I like Mike Salemi for technique, you can google his name in YouTube, he also has a bunch of videos on the Mind Pump TV channel. 

I taught Kettlebell pre-covid. The KB swing is definitely a great exercise for your entire body and cardiovascular system at the same time. 

Start off with sets of 10, then gradually work your way up. You can also do a ladder, pyradmids etc. 

I used to do 300 swings a day, I like to do them in sets of 25. 

8 days ago
1/1/01

The is for all the advice. I’m thinking that I need to start slow and really get the technique correct. I’ve had several hernias in the past and I also have diastasis rectis, or a separation of the abdominal muscles along the vertical midline, that results from having the hernias. I have to be very safe fil so that I do not tear it completely and end up with more hernias. A big part of the issue is that I am overweight. When I was injured, my thyroid went bad and I gained a fair amount of weight. I’d like to incorporate the kettlebell workout as a way to help strengthen my core but I really need to do it in baby steps so I do not hurt myself.

8 days ago
1/6/20
GuttyProfessor -

The is for all the advice. I’m thinking that I need to start slow and really get the technique correct. I’ve had several hernias in the past and I also have diastasis rectis, or a separation of the abdominal muscles along the vertical midline, that results from having the hernias. I have to be very safe fil so that I do not tear it completely and end up with more hernias. A big part of the issue is that I am overweight. When I was injured, my thyroid went bad and I gained a fair amount of weight. I’d like to incorporate the kettlebell workout as a way to help strengthen my core but I really need to do it in baby steps so I do not hurt myself.

Oh ok, with this I probalby wouldn't recommend that you start of with kettlebell swings then because that is a ballistic and explosive movement if done correctly. 

Perhaps start off with slower KB deadlifts then and Goblet Squats.  Keep in mind that many of the main KB exercises require explosive hip movement based off the hip hinge.  The KB swing, clean and snatch all start from a proper KB deadlift hip hinge movement, they're just more dynamic and explosive. 

Most important thing is get in a safe and effective workout while staying injury free!  Good luck.

8 days ago
7/30/10
Bend The Knee -

Keith Weber is all you need. His youtube channel is Gold. He also has a few DVDs, all cardio based

This^

Keith Weber cardio kettlebell will own your soul in 30 minutes

8 days ago
10/16/10
EVspinner - 

Keep it simple.  Start off with basic KB exercises like the Swing and the Goblet Squat. Affter you get these down, then you can progress to the clean, snatch etc. The KB windmill is great for hip, hamstring and shoulder mobility. 

Technique is more important than anything especially at the beginning so that you don't pick up bad habits. 

I like Mike Salemi for technique, you can google his name in YouTube, he also has a bunch of videos on the Mind Pump TV channel. 

I taught Kettlebell pre-covid. The KB swing is definitely a great exercise for your entire body and cardiovascular system at the same time. 

Start off with sets of 10, then gradually work your way up. You can also do a ladder, pyradmids etc. 

I just bought a couple KB a few days ago and have watched some videos and messed around with them a bit.

For the swing, are you exploding upwards or just casually swinging back and forth?
8 days ago
6/20/14

1/6/20
Stache -
EVspinner - 

I just bought a couple KB a few days ago and have watched some videos and messed around with them a bit.

For the swing, are you exploding upwards or just casually swinging back and forth?

The power should all come from your hips, not your arms on the way up.  On the way down, you can either let gravity take it down or you can pull it down with your arms to make the movement faster and also a bit harder.  Technically, it is correct to pull it down but I am not picky on that when teaching. 

Two of the most common mistakes that I often see are bringing the kettlebell down too low (lower than the knees) as this puts more load on the lower back.  The KB should be in between the triangle that exists between the knees and the crotch area.   Secondly, people over-arching or over-extending at the peak of the swing.  You should brace your core and stop the movement as soon as the body is perfectly vertical.  The kettlbebell should be maximum chest height or lower if you're doing less than a full hip hinge.

8 days ago
1/1/01

Magic 50:

5 clean and jerks L. Hand

5 clean and jerks R. Hand

5 swings L. Hand

5 swings R. Hand

10 burpees. 

Repeat the above 5 times. 

I modified it by adding 5 high pulls each hand. 

8 days ago
10/16/10
EVspinner - 
Stache -
EVspinner - 

The power should all come from your hips, not your arms on the way up.  On the way down, you can either let gravity take it down or you can pull it down with your arms to make the movement faster and also a bit harder.  Technically, it is correct to pull it down but I am not picky on that when teaching. 

Two of the most common mistakes that I often see are bringing the kettlebell down too low (lower than the knees) as this puts more load on the lower back.  The KB should be in between the triangle that exists between the knees and the crotch area.   Secondly, people over-arching or over-extending at the peak of the swing.  You should brace your core and stop the movement as soon as the body is perfectly vertical.  The kettlbebell should be maximum chest height or lower if you're doing less than a full hip hinge.

Very clear. Thank you.
8 days ago
10/16/10
I went a little too nutso last time and overworked some muscles near my groin and now I still can't walk properly. lol
8 days ago
4/21/10

in

8 days ago
1/6/20

There are hundreds of videos on YouTube on how to do a proper KB Swing but this one is probably my fav.

8 days ago
1/27/15
EVspinner -

You must have really great hip thrusts 

8 days ago
1/6/20
DrOrloff -
EVspinner -

You must have really great hip thrusts 

Lol for sure.  

This thread has inspired me to do another round of the 10,000 swing challenge spanning over 30 days.  Many people here have done it before, its awesome.

8 days ago
10/16/10
EVspinner - 

There are hundreds of videos on YouTube on how to do a proper KB Swing but this one is probably my fav.

That was great. I have a few adjustments to make now.
8 days ago
1/1/01

Ttt

8 days ago
1/1/01

In. For some kettlebells a few weeks ago.

8 days ago
3/30/07
EVspinner - 

Mike Salemi hands down is the best teacher. He has a couple videos he put out recently that breaks down the swing that make it super easy to understand. He got me hooked up with my first Bulgarian bag. That’s probably my favorite tool currently.
1/6/20
RoccCity -
EVspinner - 

Mike Salemi hands down is the best teacher. He has a couple videos he put out recently that breaks down the swing that make it super easy to understand. He got me hooked up with my first Bulgarian bag. That’s probably my favorite tool currently.

That's true.  He is much more technical, I just wanted to show something basic but sound :) 

I really like all of his technique videos from Mind Pump TV, they're fantastic. 

Any videos from the StrongFirst coaches are pretty solid as well imo.

8 days ago
1/1/01

There’s a kettlebell workout video on Amazon Prime