OtherGround Forums Kid At The Grocery Store Had The Perfect Response.

6 days ago
11/8/09

There’s an Asian kid that works as a clerk/stock boy at the grocery store by my house. I was in there last night picking up some bananas and milk when I overheard an older Asian man asking him for help. The older guy then asked the kid, “you’re Chinese, right?”

The kid just said “nope.”

Older guy then goes “you’re not Vietnamese are you?”

”No” 

“Thai?”

”No” 

“Loas?” 

“No”

Then after three or four more Asian ethnicities the man seemed frustrated and said “I know you’re not Japanese, why don’t you just tell me what you are...”

And the kid responded really politely “Sir, I was born and raised in Canada. I’m Canadian”, and he grabbed what the man was looking for off the shelf, handed it to him and walked away. 

Good kid with a good head on his shoulders right there. 

6 days ago
1/1/01

He's probably an Eskimo

6 days ago
10/15/13
PatK -

He's probably an Eskimo

/Thread

6 days ago
10/1/02

So was he Chinese?

6 days ago
11/8/09
beatbum -

So was he Chinese?

How should I know?  Asians all look the same to me.

6 days ago
1/20/11

Fellow asian here. The guy obviously didnt mean anything negative and just wanted to know his ethnic background. He probably could've just answered and let the conversation continue instead of being difficult.

6 days ago
11/8/09
PatK -

He's probably an Eskimo

Nah. He’s a riders fan. He wears their jersey ever game day. 

6 days ago
10/15/13
temujen -

Fellow asian here. The guy obviously didnt mean anything negative and just wanted to know his ethnic background. He probably could've just answered and let the conversation continue instead of being difficult.

I don't walk up to white guys and start blabbing out different countries at them wanting to pin down where there ancestors are from. Especially a kid just doing his job at the grocery store.

Its fucking weird. 

6 days ago
2/4/07
temujen -

Nah, it's annoying to be asked your ethnic background when you're just trying to do your job.  

6 days ago
4/25/11

Yeah, well...  You can't just go around calling people fuckin "Canadian". That will just get you killed. Asian ain't as bad. If the person isn't Asian, you can just say "oh I'm sorry." and move along. If you mistakenly call someone a filthy fuckin snowback Canadian, well...  Now we have a fuckin problem asshole!

6 days ago
8/20/03
King Trav - 

There’s an Asian kid that works as a clerk/stock boy at the grocery store by my house. I was in there last night picking up some bananas and milk when I overheard an older Asian man asking him for help. The older guy then asked the kid, “you’re Chinese, right?”

The kid just said “nope.”

Older guy then goes “you’re not Vietnamese are you?”

”No” 

“Thai?”

”No” 

“Loas?” 

“No”

Then after three or four more Asian ethnicities the man seemed frustrated and said “I know you’re not Japanese, why don’t you just tell me what you are...”

And the kid responded really politely “Sir, I was born and raised in Canada. I’m Canadian”, and he grabbed what the man was looking for off the shelf, handed it to him and walked away. 

Good kid with a good head on his shoulders right there. 

That kid rules!

6 days ago
1/3/18

I always check “other” in the ethnicity categories on paperwork. Then I fill in the blank with “American”. 
This is probably why I don’t get any freebies even though I’m brown. 

6 days ago
2/21/05

6 days ago
3/8/04
PatK -

He's probably an Eskimo

Eskimo is not the preferred nomenclature.  Inuit please!

6 days ago
1/1/01
Buckaroo Banzai -

First thing that came to mind when I read the story. Classic.

6 days ago
5/29/15
Im with the banned -

I always check “other” in the ethnicity categories on paperwork. Then I fill in the blank with “American”. 
This is probably why I don’t get any freebies even though I’m brown. 

Native American imo.

6 days ago
7/31/09

Typical smartass chinaman.

6 days ago
1/1/01
King Trav -
PatK -

He's probably an Eskimo

Nah. He’s a riders fan. He wears their jersey ever game day. 

are there still 2 riders, or has it been pared down to one?

6 days ago
11/17/10
temujen -

i see what youre saying, but I also get annoyed when other Asians instantly ask what my ethnicity is. 

when a youngerish Asian guy intially asks me if I am filipino or other asian, they tend to be weirdo off the boat types who will try to befriend you simply bc you share the same ethnicity.

of course it is annoying when a non asian also tries to break the ice by asking about my ethnicity , i cant put my finger on why, just seems weird to me when my genetic makeup is a topic of conversation with a stranger

it is always some drunk ocnstruction guy at the bar talking my ear off about how he "grew up with some asian kids" and then talk about how he "is not racist"...like i even asked or cared lol

people focus way too much on race and ethnicity, IMO

6 days ago
4/22/03
jju -
PatK -

He's probably an Eskimo

Snow Mexican 

6 days ago
5/15/07
Dajuisher - 
jju -
PatK -

He's probably an Eskimo

Snow Mexican 

Nanook the Snow Mexican!
6 days ago
11/6/19

OP didn't mention that the older man was actually Chinese.

6 days ago
12/22/10
Dajuisher -
jju -
PatK -

He's probably an Eskimo

Snow Mexican 

This or igloo beaner. 

6 days ago
10/23/12

He was just really sleepy 

6 days ago
1/1/01

The proper response would be fag. Im a fag from Canada