OtherGround Forums Know anybody at the Portland protests?

15 days ago
4/5/07

I do. I know a few people.  It’s interesting to watch their Instagram updates live from the scene, then watch the news coverage, then hear what the rest of the country thinks is going on there. 

Honestly, even with those first hand accounts, I’m not sure what’s really going on. Everybody I know says they peacefully protest and then randomly the police or feds come out and clash with them.  Of the several people I know who have been going, only one has such a warped political view that they might do minor vandalism or at least support those who are.  The rest are definitely not doing anything but standing around and repeating slogans. But all have been gassed and one was shot with a batton round (a wood projectile). 

I can tell you that support for the protests is growing among otherwise politically inactive people, because the feds reaction appears excessive and national reporting doesn’t seem to match what’s actually going on.  

15 days ago
2/25/09

I know a few activists that traveled there b/c its a more liberal hotbed. They are idiots and post on social media and the protests and protestors are just as memeworthy as they appear and they are literally the aggressors and in the wrong on every facet of the issue. Its also not even pretending ti be about black people anymore its marxists taking advantage for their "revolution"

(by burning down a liberal stronghold rofl)

15 days ago
3/25/11

I don't know anyone in Portland, but I live very close to city hall in a downtown area of one of the biggest cities in the country and during the initial protests/riots I saw the chaos up close and personal, it was literally outside my kitchen window. And I can tell you after dealing with it for several days I lost all sympathy for the rioters. I've always considered myself a lefty (donated to ACLU/SPLC for years) and have never trusted the federal government or even the local government.

This generation of "anti-government" protesters have no cohesive message and are so insanely uneducated about what they are actually asking for that I have totally jumped ship. Once the chaos was at my doorstep it was no longer an abstract idea or something to see on YouTube. 

The horror of driving through the destruction the next morning was shocking. It's infuriating to read opinions from people who do not actually have to live in the chaos about how "peaceful" the protests are. 

I promise you when they are at your doorstep you will feel very differently. 

15 days ago
9/19/13

It is a sponsored, localized coup against the government.

15 days ago
1/12/10

Really op? 

How about the videos of at least one person jumping the barricades outside the federal courthouse and using and IED(by definition it is) against a federal building? 

How about the video of people barricading federal cops inside the building then smashing them when they manage to get out? 

Those two videos, taken by their own comrades(Laugh out loud!), completely destroy your friends’ account of things. If you were a good friend you would tell them to get the hell out of Dodge before they are Insurrection Acted. They’re rioters at worst and sympathizers at best. They do not deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

15 days ago
3/18/02

my friends arent fucking losers so no 

15 days ago
4/6/19

I've followed a photographer for a few years that's live streamed and shot pics

Edited: 15 days ago
3/13/15

I know a guy that lives out there and we were talking about the riots just a few days ago. He’s been having a blast...

”Yea the riots popped off hard here, definitely got it the fuck in and smashed some riot cops with bricks and bottles”

15 days ago
5/23/07
BigEyedFish - 

Lol this

15 days ago
4/19/09

Hopefully all your faggot friends will end up dead or in jail.

15 days ago
4/6/19
Luke Rockhard -

Hopefully all your faggot friends will end up dead or in jail.

quit being a lesbian

15 days ago
12/17/06
BigEyedFish - 

15 days ago
9/13/06
GenericAmerican -

I do. I know a few people.  It’s interesting to watch their Instagram updates live from the scene, then watch the news coverage, then hear what the rest of the country thinks is going on there. 

Honestly, even with those first hand accounts, I’m not sure what’s really going on. Everybody I know says they peacefully protest and then randomly the police or feds come out and clash with them.  Of the several people I know who have been going, only one has such a warped political view that they might do minor vandalism or at least support those who are.  The rest are definitely not doing anything but standing around and repeating slogans. But all have been gassed and one was shot with a batton round (a wood projectile). 

I can tell you that support for the protests is growing among otherwise politically inactive people, because the feds reaction appears excessive and national reporting doesn’t seem to match what’s actually going on.  

If you have 2000 protestors and 20 are violent, but the good 1980 do nothing to stop the violent ones, do you have 2000 violent protestors? 

15 days ago
2/19/09

As a person who lives in the area (just across the river), I completely disagree with his/her assesment.  I have friends and acquantainces who have been there.  Some are loons who are likely ones behind the masks, others are normal people.

It is true that most protests start our very peaceful, but then most of the normal people leave around 9-10.  Thats when the Anti-gov folks start.  They use the normal people left behind for cover, so yes some peaceful protestors get gassed, hit with objects etc.  However this is always after multiple warnings to disperse/unlawful assembly etc.  Once that is declared and one fails to leave the area, the excuse of didn't do nothing is lost.  Constitutiion guarantees right to assembly....but its to peacably assemble.  Once the assembled mass is no longer peaceful, the whole mass loses that protection....basic.

14 days ago
12/2/02
havomaster -

I don't know anyone in Portland, but I live very close to city hall in a downtown area of one of the biggest cities in the country and during the initial protests/riots I saw the chaos up close and personal, it was literally outside my kitchen window. And I can tell you after dealing with it for several days I lost all sympathy for the rioters. I've always considered myself a lefty (donated to ACLU/SPLC for years) and have never trusted the federal government or even the local government.

This generation of "anti-government" protesters have no cohesive message and are so insanely uneducated about what they are actually asking for that I have totally jumped ship. Once the chaos was at my doorstep it was no longer an abstract idea or something to see on YouTube. 

The horror of driving through the destruction the next morning was shocking. It's infuriating to read opinions from people who do not actually have to live in the chaos about how "peaceful" the protests are. 

I promise you when they are at your doorstep you will feel very differently. 

Exactly why I wish these protesters would take things into the neighborhoods of politicians. Protest outside of your governors house for instance. 

of course the government officials have guards with guns that are allowed to use them. 

14 days ago
6/4/06

Does't a protest need some sort of permit to be considered a legitimate protest?

14 days ago
4/6/19
DaddyO4 -

Does't a protest need some sort of permit to be considered a legitimate protest?

no. and it becomes a riot when police get authority to read the riot act. livestreams from portland were interesting... bunch of norms but as soon as anything kicks off (fires set, assaults, tearing barriers) its teargas and move along. 

14 days ago
1/1/01

looks like a war zone based on Andy Ngo's twitter.

14 days ago
4/5/07
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -

Really op? 

How about the videos of at least one person jumping the barricades outside the federal courthouse and using and IED(by definition it is) against a federal building? 

How about the video of people barricading federal cops inside the building then smashing them when they manage to get out? 

Those two videos, taken by their own comrades(Laugh out loud!), completely destroy your friends’ account of things. If you were a good friend you would tell them to get the hell out of Dodge before they are Insurrection Acted. They’re rioters at worst and sympathizers at best. They do not deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

Well, I'm trying to balance that with clearly excessive uses of force.  Like this one.  In this moment, there was no justification for nearly killing this guy, no matter how misguided you think his views are.

14 days ago
4/5/07

And this kind of stuff

14 days ago
4/5/07

And here you have them tear gassing people who are outside the barricades and not doing much.  

14 days ago
1/27/14
GentileLarryDavid -
GenericAmerican -

If you have 2000 protestors and 20 are violent, but the good 1980 do nothing to stop the violent ones, do you have 2000 violent protestors? 

If you replace the word protestors with cops then you have your answer as to why this shit is happening in the first place 

14 days ago
4/6/19
OpenedUp -
GentileLarryDavid -
GenericAmerican -

If you replace the word protestors with cops then you have your answer as to why this shit is happening in the first place 

somewhat... is the reaction to portland policing or visions of somewhere else? I get what you're saying... back in the day the punks get rounded up and taken for a drive. we weren't so sophisticated to protest I guess

14 days ago
4/5/07

I support people's rights to protest, even if I disagree with them.  And I support the police in responding to vandalism.  But just like a war zone, you have to be able to differentiate civilians from combatants.  You can't just attack everybody because 5% are anarchists.  

14 days ago
2/4/17

Another fucking example. You have people here telling you actually what happened, eye witnesses, yet you chose to ignore them and believe obvious propganda . WTF is wrong with you people .