OtherGround Forums LaMelo Ball, Warriors target, projected #1 pick

10 days ago
2/25/13

LaMelo Ball, possible Warriors target, projected No. 1 NBA draft pick

https://sports.yahoo.com/lamelo-ball-possible-warriors-target-204642651.html

Attention all Warriors fans -- you need to start getting comfortable with the idea that LaMelo Ball very well could go No. 1 overall in the 2020 NBA Draft.

Over the weekend, when you probably were stuffed from Thanksgiving leftovers and too tired to read anything, ESPN's Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz moved Ball to No. 1 overall (from No. 3 in late September) in their latest mock draft.

As they explain:

There are only a handful of players in the NBA who can legitimately play point guard at 6-foot-7 like Ball. Ball is the youngest prospect in our top 20 and still has a huge amount of room to grow -- both physically and in terms of skill -- giving him the highest upside of any player in the draft.

It's way too early to know if the Warriors seriously are interested in picking Ball. After all, they do employ guys named Steph Curry and D'Angelo Russell, who possess the rock quite a bit.

There's also this very important caveat:

Both Schmitz and I have just received a significant amount of blowback from NBA teams who say that they simply don't trust Ball enough to hand him the keys to their franchise. They worry about what all the attention around him will do to their team culture, how strong his work ethic is and whether his father, LaVar, could become a distraction.

This seems significant. Does it mean there's a chance he could slip outside of the top-5? Or even the top-10?

Ball -- who doesn't turn 19 years old until Aug. 22 -- is playing in Australia for the Illawarra Hawks of the NBL. He is averaging 24.3 points, 9.3 assists and 9.3 rebounds over his last four games, while shooting 42 percent overall and 32.3 percent from deep.

As Ethan Strauss of The Athletic points out, Ball struggled at times last week when he faced off against fellow American guard RJ Hampton -- who coincidentally slotted in at No. 5 overall to Golden State in the same mock draft.

10 days ago
11/18/09

Article must be kinda old, because those numbers are way down at the moment. He is playing really well tho. 

10 days ago
9/8/02

I always thought he was the better of the two brothers, He has grown a lot and has very good skills. Hopefully he gets a spot. 

10 days ago
12/17/06

La Melo? Like an apple?

10 days ago
9/4/17

Philly will somehow get the number one pick. 

10 days ago
9/4/17
jcblass -

I always thought he was the better of the two brothers, He has grown a lot and has very good skills. Hopefully he gets a spot. 

3 brothers 

10 days ago
2/25/13
Altofsky - 

La Melo? Like an apple?

Lame Lo
10 days ago
8/11/12

His fathers a cancerous pos. Last I heard Lonzo cut ties with the old man so maybe Lamelo did too, what I shitty bunch of names. 

10 days ago
3/20/05

LaMelo will end up being a much better player than Lonzo 

10 days ago
9/22/16
LMAO

Whoever drafts that guy is a fucking moron.
10 days ago
11/18/09
AnthonyWeiner - LMAO

Why?

10 days ago
5/3/12
William H Muncy -

Philly will somehow get the number one pick. 

Trust the process.

10 days ago
9/8/02
William H Muncy - 
jcblass -

3 brothers 

3rd one is like a ghost, what does he do these days? I see LaMelo all over social media. I barely see Lonzo anymore and he is in the NBA.

10 days ago
9/4/17
jcblass -
William H Muncy - 
jcblass -

3 brothers 

3rd one is like a ghost, what does he do these days? I see LaMelo all over social media. I barely see Lonzo anymore and he is in the NBA.

He's the awkward middle son. Think he plays over seas or something. 

10 days ago
9/22/16
PhillyFights - 
AnthonyWeiner - LMAO

Why?

He's going to be a bust. Not better than Lonzo, but worse.
10 days ago
4/5/10
AnthonyWeiner -
PhillyFights - 
AnthonyWeiner - LMAO

Why?

you’re nuts he’s WAY better than Lonzo...he’s gonna be near Doncic-level (top 10 player in league)

10 days ago
1/30/15
AnthonyWeiner - 
PhillyFights - 
AnthonyWeiner - LMAO

Why?

You just established that either:

1. You don't follow basketball. OR

2. You have no idea about basketball.

LaMelo will be a star. Plus, he has a huge following. I agree he is much better than Lonzo.

If his father stays away, he will do great things.
10 days ago
4/2/17

1. Melo

2. Zo

3. Gelo

Lavar knows all! Lol

10 days ago
9/22/16
I'm looking forward to TTT'ing this thread a year from now, then two years from now.
10 days ago
1/1/01
Romo Detector 2015 - 
AnthonyWeiner - 
PhillyFights - 
AnthonyWeiner - LMAO

Why?

You just established that either:

1. You don't follow basketball. OR

2. You have no idea about basketball.

LaMelo will be a star. Plus, he has a huge following. I agree he is much better than Lonzo.

If his father stays away, he will do great things.

I agree regarding his talent, but the father won't be able to stay away.

He'll destroy the kid's career.
10 days ago
1/1/01

I swear there were OGers saying he wouldn't even make the NBA.

9 days ago
11/11/12

Lol

9 days ago
11/20/12

The Warriors front office is to smart to bring on the baggage that his father. If they do have the pick to get him and he's the best option at number 1 they will trade down and get something fir the number 1 overall. 

9 days ago
11/18/09
Whambo -

To be fair, I don’t think anyone predicted he would shoot up to 6’7/6’8, and still growing maybe. That changes things big time. 

9 days ago
1/1/01
Whambo - 

Most of the "won't make the NBA" talk was about LiAngelo (the middle kid), as I recall...