OtherGround Forums Largest Corporation of All Time

7 days ago
1/1/01

I was watching this interesting TV show from England called "Taboo" and in it was the East India Company (the English branch/version/affiliate - don't know of the relationship). They had an absurd amount of power and control and the intrigue and influence they weilded internationally was fascinating.

The Dutch East India company though - at its peak, had a worth that was equivalent to the GDP of Japan and Germany *combined*. I think it was something like 10 times the size of our current largest corporation (Apple, Alphabet, or Amazon)

Just started reading up on trade around that time period including the first global financial bubble - related to "Tulip Mania". Crazy stuff.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/most-valuable-companies-all-time/

7 days ago
7/4/09

Good post OP - interesting read

Edited: 7 days ago
10/6/15

I read somewhere that the Dutch East India paid close to 18% in dividends to shareholders every year for 100 years. That's absolutely insane.

7 days ago
1/1/01
AlxinTO - 

I read somewhere that the Dutch East India paid close to 18% in dividends to shareholders every year for 100 years. That's absolutely insane.

Mind blowing.

It's crazy how much influence they had. The numbers are too big for human brains lol

7 days ago
1/1/11
That show is awesome. I've been waiting forever for season 2.
7 days ago
11/16/17

Huge if true

7 days ago
1/1/01
Thebonfirexm - 

Huge if true

It's all fairly well established history. Totally fascinating stuff.

7 days ago
1/1/01
NEWSFLASH - That show is awesome. I've been waiting forever for season 2.

Yeah - it's been taking forever for the second season.

Without giving spoilers away - I loved how he was essentially able to trick all of the parties involved to ensure he stayed alive lol. 

7 days ago
1/1/01

I remember being on a boat tour in Amsterdam a couple of years ago and we went by a section that they said back in the day they were making something like the equivalent of Warren Buffet income on a weekly basis