OtherGround Forums Lets play D&D in this thread!

6 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 2261

Az, Sister, Snaggle; Actions?

5 days ago
9/23/07
Posts: 79356
USMC Blackhearts - 

The website hasn't been loading for me properly, I've been trying to update for a couple hour.

CONTINUING ON:

The blizzard is still raging and visibility is still at about 2 feet. The cold is brutal, not just the negative 30 temps but especially the windchill that brings it down to about a hundred below.  You have about 6 miles before you reach the cave where the giant lived before, which should take about 12 hours in these conditions.  It's about 10AM right now.  Sunset is around 7PM.

Sister casts hold on Red and he is brought to and held close to the group, kicking and screaming.

Then, everyone begins setting up the tent. With everyone (But Red) working it takes bout 15 minutes to set up. The stove and chimney is set up and several cut up logs are just starting to burn, that will warm the tent up quickly.  (You had a dozen bundles of wood in sister's bag.  Burning wood all night goes through about 2 bundles; more if it's colder.  Ya'll have 6 bundles remaining).

By the time the tent is set up and Zinek gets in it he has a pretty good case of frostbite on his chest. Inside he takes off his fur top and begins working on sewing it up with a small sewing kit from his standard pack. Snaggle does the same to his furs. Red still needs his fixed as well.

Sister again heals Zinek, Snaggle and Red, getting them all fully healed up and using all of her daily healing spells and that from her mace.

Az, Snaggle and Zinek go out together and grab Brown's headless body and pull it to the tent, then put it in Sister's bag of holding.

The 3 fighters then go and get the Yeti's body and bring it back to the tent, and begin skinning it.

The tent is getting warm inside and feels great; much needed reprieve from the biting cold outside. The wind is violently shaking the deer skin walls covered with other animal furls, but for now it seems to be holding up.

Inside the tent, Red addresses the group. He is obviously pissed but has calmed down enough to clearly address the group. "Listen ye dolts, I'm not about to get anyone killed, the damn yeti are already doing that. I'm simply trying to find me bruder's head! Wouldn't any of you do the same? If we wait till later to get it then it will be too covered in the snow and I might not find it. I'm not leaving his head here on this damn mountain pass. How about we all go out together, linked up, and search for the bloody thing? Besides, sitting here in this tent we're just making ourselves a warm meal for the white beasts out there. How long do you think they'll wait before attacking again? Hell, right above this rock wall we're next to they're prolly fixin to rain down boulders on us any moment! (He looks up nervously then, and the rest of the party does as well... imaginging boulders flying down into the tent from the walls above the path.) This ain't no safe place to rest people!"

 

How long before you break camp and continue on? 

Any other actions?


I am not going to risk anyones life to retrieve a severed head. What does getting the head do for anyone?

If you want to go out on your own I am inclined to let you do it, but you and your brother are supposed to be here to support the mission not derail it.


Before cutting you loose I would like to hear sisters thoughts...


I Also don't see any point in leaving until the weather lets up. Yetis could attack us here or attack us out there.I would rather be warm until I have to fight them then freezing to death and then fighting them.
5 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 2262

OK, will wait a bit and see if sister chimes in.

5 days ago
9/23/07
Posts: 79361
Also I will commune with my ancient and powerful sword to see if she has any advice on yetis or the weather.
5 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 28794

Sorry for dropping out over the weekend.  I’ll post more tonight 

brock, feel free to speak for Sister in the meantime 

Edited: 4 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 2263

CONTINUING ON:

Red says, "I'm going out to search for me brudder's head. If ya'll won't help me then so be it."

Zinek speaks to him. "I'll help you, little man." Then they both go outside to search for Brown's head, with a rope tied to them and the tent.

(25% chance per hour of finding the head per person searching. Roll must be 16 or above. Rolls = 8, 19).

Within half an hour they come back in, Red holding his brother's head. He has a somber look on his face. "Sister, please keep him safely in yer magic bag with be brudder's body.) Sister puts Brown's head in her bag of holding .

Red and Zinek pull up close to the stove to warm up.

20 minutes later 3 large rocks suddenly smashes down on the fur roof. One of them smashes into Sister's chest, cracking some ribs and knocking the wind out of her (13 HP's damage. 48 starting health, assuming you don't have a constitution bonus. My stat sheet is at work so I'm not sure.. 35 HP's remaining.)

One hits the stove and knocks the chimney off of it, but doesn't do any damage. (The chimney will have to be reconnected to the stove to prevent the tent from filling up with smoke, which it immediately starts to do.)

The 3rd rock harmlessly lands right next to Az's head, missing it by inches.

The fur tent roof luckily didn't get punctured by the rocks, as they simply pushed it down, along with the bamboo poles that act as a skeleton for the tent. Once the rocks are removed from the top of the tent it will be fine.

Everyone in the party quickly scurries out of the tent to face their attackers.

The yeti were on the rock walls above, and 3 of them have already jumped down and one of them is in midair, aimed right towards Az. The yeti are roaring fiercly and attacking. The party draws their weapons.

(Initiative roll = Yeti win).

Ya'll notice that, while it's still a blizzard out here... it seems to be slightly dying down. Visibility has improved to about 4 to 5 feet. Still damn bad, but at least it's improving.

One of the yeti on the ground takes a large swipe at Snaggle. You notice he's missing a nose and seems damn pissed. (He must roll a 16 or above to hit you due to his THAC0 and your AC. Hit roll = 17.) He lands a swipe across your outer left shoulder, that was aimed for your head but you slipped. 8 HP's damage.

One of the other yetis on the ground takes a swipe at Red, clawing his chest for 8HP's damage.

The 3rd yeti on the ground is attacking Zinek (I rolled to see who all was being attacked, and sister got lucky). It swipes at him and misses.

The biggest yeti in the group is the one flying through the air towards Az. (He must roll a 16 or above to hit. Roll = 17. I shit you not). Az tries to roll out of the way but still takes a partial slash ot the face for 10 HP's damage).

Everyone in the party attacks back.

Sister casts "hold person" on the yeti that is attacking Snaggle. It falls to the ground, paralyzed. (It will get a chance to break free each round, but it must pass a wisdom check and it has a very low wisdom. Also, sister will have to recast it after a minute (6 melee rounds) or it will wear off. If it is damaged it will automatically break free.)

(I will roll the rest of this out and summarize).

Snaggle, seeing that his yeti falls to the ground paralyzed, and knowing that if he attacks the creature now Sister's hold spell will be broken, changes his target and focuses on the big yeti with Az. He sprints towards the beast, springs off of it's knee and propels himself upward and lands a monsterous uppercut with his spiked knuckles, knocking the beast completely prone and stunned (your 25% chance of stunning 1 round hit with your roll for that of 18!).

Az then gets a +5 to hit on the almost defenseless beast, and stabs completely through it's midsection. Snaggle sit's on the beast's throat and continues to rain down brutal hits with his spiked knuckles. The beast spins and tries to throw the mad gnome off, only giving Az another chance to run him through, and this time the stab from Az's glowing blade pierces the beast through the spine from behind, exiting through the front of it's thick chest. The beast looks down at the blade for a moment, before it slides forward off of it and dies.

Az and Snaggle then notice a trollop exit's it's right ear and turns invisible. This one is about an inch tall, but it quickly grows to a height of 6 inches. Both fighters lunge towards it to grab it. Snaggle feels it but can't get a grasp, but Az firmly grabs it. It's screaming in protest. You pull your goggles down from your forehead over your eyes and see it clearly. It's about to bite you, but you flick it's temple hard and knock the fragile creature out.

Zinek and Red land solid hits on the yeti they are fighting, and in response to the hits and seeing their leader killed, then run off into the safety of the snow.

The entire party then turns to the held yeti, who is unsuccessfully fighting to break free, and ya'll pummel, stab and slice the beast quickly to death.

Ya'll shout in victory, you figure with the big one dead this might be the last you'll see if this pack of yeti. Or will it?

The air is fresh and crisp... but what's that smell... something's burning... ya'll look back... oh shit the tent is on fire! It's the large rocks that pushed the furs down on top of the stove... a quarter of the furs are ablaze now.

Actions?

4 days ago
6/26/17
Posts: 4454

Snaggle will tear down the tent as best he can, hoping the others help

4 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 2264

Tear it down while it's burning?

4 days ago
6/26/17
Posts: 4457

Yes, there’s snow everywhere, drop the tent, let it hit the icy ground

4 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 2265

OK, I guess I was thrown off by "tear".  So I assume you're trying to put the fire out and save what you can from the tent.  Now, just dropping the tent would require you to go inside of it and remove the bamboo tent poles; which I don't see anyone running inside of the burning tent.  The 3 large rocks on it are holding the top pinned down to thie ground in those places.  (I'm just brainstorming here on how you could/ would best put the fire out).  If you just pulled it from one edge and ran with it to flip it over and land on fresh snow, that would likely put some snow out.  However the cast iron stove is in the center of it, with wood still burning inside of it.

So to make a long, boring story short, the party quickly works to put the fire out as quickly as possible.  Snow is thrown on it and once it's safe enough to reach, the rocks are thrown off of it and the top is lifted up.

5 minutes later after fighting the burning tent, what remains of it is sitting there smoldering.  The sides and edges remain intact, but a good 8 foot wide jagged circle has been burned out of the center of it.  Also, the bamboo poles that made up the skeleton of the tent were burned near the top, so nothing is there to support the sides anymore.  

Even with the damage done, still setting up what remains of the tent would provide more shelter from the elements than not while camping.  Especially the working stove and the half dozen cords of firewood in sister's bag of holding.

It's 11AM now, and the blizzard has been reduced to a strong snow.  Visibility has expanded to 20 feet and seems to be getting better by the minute.  

By the way, Sister's healing spells are all used up.

Ya'll again sew up your torn furs, and while some of you are hurting from various slashes and sister's broken ribs, you can continue on your path.  The former giant's cave is 6 miles ahead, and you might be able to get there before sunset, especially if the weather continues to improve.

Also, Az still has that damn Trollop in his hands.  This one is a male, and he's also dressed sort of like a shaman or primitive magic user, like the one that came out of the giant's ear.  He's begging for his life in broken english, offering all sorts of things.  He can take over any large, dumb being for you and work for you.  Or he can give you some treasure back at his home.  He'll seemingly offer his mother up if it would mean he'd go free.

Actions?

Edited: 4 days ago
9/23/07
Posts: 79367
USMC Blackhearts - 

OK, I guess I was thrown off by "tear".  So I assume you're trying to put the fire out and save what you can from the tent.  Now, just dropping the tent would require you to go inside of it and remove the bamboo tent poles; which I don't see anyone running inside of the burning tent.  The 3 large rocks on it are holding the top pinned down to thie ground in those places.  (I'm just brainstorming here on how you could/ would best put the fire out).  If you just pulled it from one edge and ran with it to flip it over and land on fresh snow, that would likely put some snow out.  However the cast iron stove is in the center of it, with wood still burning inside of it.

So to make a long, boring story short, the party quickly works to put the fire out as quickly as possible.  Snow is thrown on it and once it's safe enough to reach, the rocks are thrown off of it and the top is lifted up.

5 minutes later after fighting the burning tent, what remains of it is sitting there smoldering.  The sides and edges remain intact, but a good 8 foot wide jagged circle has been burned out of the center of it.  Also, the bamboo poles that made up the skeleton of the tent were burned near the top, so nothing is there to support the sides anymore.  

Even with the damage done, still setting up what remains of the tent would provide more shelter from the elements than not while camping.  Especially the working stove and the half dozen cords of firewood in sister's bag of holding.

It's 11AM now, and the blizzard has been reduced to a strong snow.  Visibility has expanded to 20 feet and seems to be getting better by the minute.  

By the way, Sister's healing spells are all used up.

Ya'll again sew up your torn furs, and while some of you are hurting from various slashes and sister's broken ribs, you can continue on your path.  The former giant's cave is 6 miles ahead, and you might be able to get there before sunset, especially if the weather continues to improve.

Also, Az still has that damn Trollop in his hands.  This one is a male, and he's also dressed sort of like a shaman or primitive magic user, like the one that came out of the giant's ear.  He's begging for his life in broken english, offering all sorts of things.  He can take over any large, dumb being for you and work for you.  Or he can give you some treasure back at his home.  He'll seemingly offer his mother up if it would mean he'd go free.

Actions?


I crush the trollop in my fist and wipe the guts off on the snow.


"These things are a scourge of evil."


"Lets pack up and move out."

 

Maybe we should move to the abandoned village find a secureish building,repair the tent, rest, recharge spells, heal, etc before tackling the cave?

4 days ago
6/26/17
Posts: 4460

Is the village on the way to the cave?

snaggle slams back some wineskin

”I could use some more booze if it’s on the way, otherwise I say we move forward”

”kill any of those bleedin trollops along the way, I was born at night, but I wasn’t born last night, they are kill on sight as far as I’m concerned”

Snaggle spits on the ground and starts packing up

4 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 2266
papa pump - 

Is the village on the way to the cave?

snaggle slams back some wineskin

”I could use some more booze if it’s on the way, otherwise I say we move forward”

”kill any of those bleedin trollops along the way, I was born at night, but I wasn’t born last night, they are kill on sight as far as I’m concerned”

Snaggle spits on the ground and starts packing up


Papa, you need to keep up!  The cave is about a quarter mile from the village, and to the south in the mountains.  

Red and Brown bought 2 kegs of Dwarven Honey Mead with them.  It's in sister's bag of holding.  You could ask Red to share some with you.  But booze on the way?  LOL come on, you're in a very secluded mountain pass, there aren't any bars along the way.  It's about a hundred mile walk to the village from Ironforge, and another hundred on to where the Ambrosia flower was last found.  You are in the remote barren wilderness.

4 days ago
6/26/17
Posts: 4462

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh ffffffaack

ok

Edited: 4 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 2267

CONTINUING ON:

(Weather check = 19)

Ya'll continue on the path eastward, high up in the mountains.  Within the hour the snow completely stops falling and the sun comes out.  It's still cold but it substantially warms up to the mid 20's.  It's enough to take off some of your outer fur coverings while walking.

Ya'll have your snow shoes on and thus easily navigate over the almost 4 feet of fallen snow.  If not for the rock walls that jut up on each side of the 50 foot wide path, it would be impossible to know you were on the path.

3 hours later at around 2PM you pass to path to the south that leads to the former giant's cave.  You continue on to the village of Glom. 

The village stands seemingly abandoned; the buildings are eary remains of the people who used to live here.  But then you spot smoke coming from 2 chimneys deeper in town.

Ya'll walk into town, when you get to the general store, "GENERALITIES", you see snowshoe tracks going from it to a couple nearby standing buildings that have smoke coming from their chimneys.  The folks come out when they see you walk up.  You recognize 2 of the miners who faught the giant with you; 2 hearty humans named Brawn and Harvel.  They nod respectfully and Brawn says, "Well, I'm surprised to see ya'll again.  Especially after killing Harung (I might have his name wrong) and stealing our gems."  Brawn's wife come out of the building behind him and speaks to him.  "Now honey, the one who killed Harund isn't with them.  Besides, we got alot of the coin back from after they sold the gems.  These 3 all gave them back (Az, Sister and Zinek).  (Snaggle, did you give your cut of the gemstones back to them as well?  If so then she mentions that all 4 of you gave your coins back to them.)  Brawn looks to his wife and nods as his demeanor softens, "Yes, I guess that is true... they did."  Then he looks back to the group.  "The 5 of us came back with our families; mining's all we know.  We intend to rebuild this town.  We've posted notices in Ironforge for would be miners to make the journey up here to Glom.  Ya'll are welcome to join us, or stay in any of the abandoned homes until they get repopulated with miners and their families."

Ya'll can say whatever you want at this point.

Then, weary from the road and still injured, you all go into a nearby abandoned home for some much needed R&R.  You get the home's central stove blazing hot with wood that's stacked on the porch, lock the doors and get comfortable.  Red gets a keg of ale out of Sister's bag and does some drinking.  At first he only offers to share with Zinek, since he helped him look for his brother's head, but after downing a few he seems to soften his demeanor and shares with everyone.  Ya'll sit around the fire for several hours sharing stories and getting drunk (whoever decides to).  It turns out ot be a surprisingly good, bonding time.

Ya'll eventually crash out and sleep the rest of the evening and all through the night.  The next morning you are up at sunrise.  

(I'll assume sister uses her heals to completely heal up the party at this point.  Correct me if I'm wrong).

Brawn and Harvel's wives knock and invite you all to breakfast over in GENERALITIES.  Ya'll are very hungry and tired of dried road rations.  They have a healthy spread and all 5 families are there; the miners, their wives and kids.  There's pork, eggs, gravy, buscuits, and even milk.  The food is hot and delicious and just want you all needed (right after sister's heals).  The families each expres their sincere thanks for returning the gold that their stolen gemstones sold for.  They know they couldn't have returned so quickly with supplies if not for that.  

You all sit around discussing things, and the rest of your journey comes up.  You mention what happened with the Yeti's and your tent, and how you intend to repair it before going on the path eastward for a quest for Ironforge to get the flower.  They all look around like that's a bad idea.  Brawn's wife speaks up.  "We'll be happy to help ya'll repair your tent today, we're quite good at that sort of thing.  However, you're talking about going through "The Haunted Pass".  Ummm, that's a no-no.  Almost nobody who goes through there ever returns.  There's dark things that dwell there... very dark things.  We here them at night and have lost a few souls who got too close to the evil that lurks in that damn path."

So ya'll continue to rest throughout the day, and get ready to leave for your trip at sunrise.  The wives and some of their kids help ya'll repair your tent, and by that evening it's nearly as good as new with new patched in furs over deerskin.  You all cut some firewood and restock your stach of cords of wood and store it in sister's bag.  Now you are back to a dozen cords.  That evening you all sit inside generalities going over plans and just hanging out and talking.  The townsfolk tell you that if you are indeed going through the haunted pass, and assuming you somehow make it, on the other side of the pass the mountain rises drastically and you'll need to use your climbing gear.  The summit ya'll are headed to, that's marked on your map, rises nearly another 10 thousand feet from this point.  

Words/ actions?

 

4 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 2268

ALSO:

That evening Zinek says he'd like ya'll to help him burn his first body, from before he was resurected.  Ya'll go out to the pile of rocks that was covering his body, and the rocks have been moved.  His old body is missing... gone.

4 days ago
6/26/17
Posts: 4464

If we’re climbing we will need to drop gear no?

if so, snaggle suggests we pack light.... very light

4 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 2269
papa pump - 

If we’re climbing we will need to drop gear no?

if so, snaggle suggests we pack light.... very light


Sister's bag of holding will hold 1,000 pounds.  So that lets ya'll keep your stuff in it any only carry what you need while climbing.  (I wish I had one of those).

4 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 2270

ALSO: 

This last day before the groups plans to take off through the haunted pass in the morning, the villagers offer to help clean up the yeti hides.  (I forgot to mention it but obviously ya'll would have skinned the yeti that you killed).  The wives are skilled and experienced at skinning them and tanning their hides.  They finish properly skinning them (removing some chunks of meat from inside the furs), and nail them up near a fire to tan and stretch them.  (They dont ask for money, but a tip would be appreciated.  You will be able to sell these back in Ironforge for a large amount of gold.)  They will need to keep the hides tanning for a week.  Ya'll can pick them up on your way back... if you make it.

Edited: 4 days ago
9/23/07
Posts: 79368
USMC Blackhearts - 

CONTINUING ON:

(Weather check = 19)

Ya'll continue on the path eastward, high up in the mountains.  Within the hour the snow completely stops falling and the sun comes out.  It's still cold but it substantially warms up to the mid 20's.  It's enough to take off some of your outer fur coverings while walking.

Ya'll have your snow shoes on and thus easily navigate over the almost 4 feet of fallen snow.  If not for the rock walls that jut up on each side of the 50 foot wide path, it would be impossible to know you were on the path.

3 hours later at around 2PM you pass to path to the south that leads to the former giant's cave.  You continue on to the village of Glom. 

The village stands seemingly abandoned; the buildings are eary remains of the people who used to live here.  But then you spot smoke coming from 2 chimneys deeper in town.

Ya'll walk into town, when you get to the general store, "GENERALITIES", you see snowshoe tracks going from it to a couple nearby standing buildings that have smoke coming from their chimneys.  The folks come out when they see you walk up.  You recognize 2 of the miners who faught the giant with you; 2 hearty humans named Brawn and Harvel.  They nod respectfully and Brawn says, "Well, I'm surprised to see ya'll again.  Especially after killing Harung (I might have his name wrong) and stealing our gems."  Brawn's wife come out of the building behind him and speaks to him.  "Now honey, the one who killed Harund isn't with them.  Besides, we got alot of the coin back from after they sold the gems.  These 3 all gave them back (Az, Sister and Zinek).  (Snaggle, did you give your cut of the gemstones back to them as well?  If so then she mentions that all 4 of you gave your coins back to them.)  Brawn looks to his wife and nods as his demeanor softens, "Yes, I guess that is true... they did."  Then he looks back to the group.  "The 5 of us came back with our families; mining's all we know.  We intend to rebuild this town.  We've posted notices in Ironforge for would be miners to make the journey up here to Glom.  Ya'll are welcome to join us, or stay in any of the abandoned homes until they get repopulated with miners and their families."

Ya'll can say whatever you want at this point.

Then, weary from the road and still injured, you all go into a nearby abandoned home for some much needed R&R.  You get the home's central stove blazing hot with wood that's stacked on the porch, lock the doors and get comfortable.  Red gets a keg of ale out of Sister's bag and does some drinking.  At first he only offers to share with Zinek, since he helped him look for his brother's head, but after downing a few he seems to soften his demeanor and shares with everyone.  Ya'll sit around the fire for several hours sharing stories and getting drunk (whoever decides to).  It turns out ot be a surprisingly good, bonding time.

Ya'll eventually crash out and sleep the rest of the evening and all through the night.  The next morning you are up at sunrise.  

(I'll assume sister uses her heals to completely heal up the party at this point.  Correct me if I'm wrong).

Brawn and Harvel's wives knock and invite you all to breakfast over in GENERALITIES.  Ya'll are very hungry and tired of dried road rations.  They have a healthy spread and all 5 families are there; the miners, their wives and kids.  There's pork, eggs, gravy, buscuits, and even milk.  The food is hot and delicious and just want you all needed (right after sister's heals).  The families each expres their sincere thanks for returning the gold that their stolen gemstones sold for.  They know they couldn't have returned so quickly with supplies if not for that.  

You all sit around discussing things, and the rest of your journey comes up.  You mention what happened with the Yeti's and your tent, and how you intend to repair it before going on the path eastward for a quest for Ironforge to get the flower.  They all look around like that's a bad idea.  Brawn's wife speaks up.  "We'll be happy to help ya'll repair your tent today, we're quite good at that sort of thing.  However, you're talking about going through "The Haunted Pass".  Ummm, that's a no-no.  Almost nobody who goes through there ever returns.  There's dark things that dwell there... very dark things.  We here them at night and have lost a few souls who got too close to the evil that lurks in that damn path."

So ya'll continue to rest throughout the day, and get ready to leave for your trip at sunrise.  The wives and some of their kids help ya'll repair your tent, and by that evening it's nearly as good as new with new patched in furs over deerskin.  You all cut some firewood and restock your stach of cords of wood and store it in sister's bag.  Now you are back to a dozen cords.  That evening you all sit inside generalities going over plans and just hanging out and talking.  The townsfolk tell you that if you are indeed going through the haunted pass, and assuming you somehow make it, on the other side of the pass the mountain rises drastically and you'll need to use your climbing gear.  The summit ya'll are headed to, that's marked on your map, rises nearly another 10 thousand feet from this point.  

Words/ actions?

 


I would like to conference with Brawn and Harvel.

I thank them for their hospitality.

I Tell them that while the giant caused the problems, he was being controlled by trollops, same with the yetis around town. All the death and destruction in the village is basically traced back to this group of invisible trollups.

Explain that we are looking to eradicate them in the cave, otherwise their town could fall victim to another giant attack and ask them for assistance, any people willing to fight, or supplies or information.

Explain we will be clearing that cave first before heading for the flower. 

4 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 2271

The miners and their families confer. 

(Check to see if they will help.  Since they probably would I’ll say 5 or above and they will help.  Roll = 1)

They say they can’t go to the cave, they are miners, women and kids, not fighters.  They do appreciate you all going though and will assist u in other ways, like fixing your tent, tanning the yeti hides, etc. 

4 days ago
9/23/07
Posts: 79374
When everyone is rested, healed, feeling good etc we will head to the cave.
3 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 2272

Update tomorrow afternoon 

3 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 2273

Update coming soon...

Edited: 3 days ago
1/1/01
Posts: 2274

CONTINUING ON:

(DM's Note:  I know ya'll probably know this, but I'm mention it anyway.  I try to leave many things up to chance, which is why I role for things instead of just dictating how everytthing will go.  Like the weather, or if the villagers were willing to help, or what you find when looting a body.  Personally I would have expected for the villagers to go help, especially if they understood the threat of the trollops to them and their village.  They would be stupid not to.  But, the die don't lie.  When I do a check and it fails, no matter how improbable, I have to roll with it and let it affect the story as it naturally would.  Just sharing a little behind the scenes info on how I try to DM.  I do come up with a basic adventure and storyline, but I try to keep it flexible enough for anything to happen, even if I wasn't expecting it)

That night you each have bad nightmares.  You wake up with memories of your dreamscapes... flesh being ripped from your body in huge strips as you scream in agonizing pain.  Your eyeballs being heated to the point of boiling out of your heads.  Massive piles of rotting bodies that are somehow alive and squrming to escape.  You are stick in those piles, and can't escape. You each awake at the same moment in the middle of the night with screams.  A genuine horror fills you, and you sense it is coming from the direction of what the villagers call "the haunted pass".  You feel a desire to return to Ironforge and abandon the quest.  You sense the evil that is so close.

As you each wake up simultaniously a bit after 3AM, you look around and notice Zinek is missing.  You all don your clothing and go outside, where you find his hoofprints leading off to the east, directly towards the pass.  You all run after him, tracking the prints.  There is no snow falling and no breeze blowing, strangly.  The sound of your snowshoes crunching into the pristine snow seems loud.  You all run after the tracks and down the easternly path... towards the Haunted Pass.  The mountains begin to rise sharply as you continue on, and not 5 minutes into your run you see Zinek up ahead.  He's only wearing his loin cloth and doesn't have his cold weather clothing, or even his huge axe (that he's never seen without).  You yell for him to stop... but he doesn't seem to hear you.  Ya'll run up to him and he seems to be walking in a trance.  His eyes are rolled back in his head and you only see their whites.  You yell him him to stop, but he seems oblivious.  The trail has grown narrower, and steeper.  Just a few feet ahead is a sign in bold letters that reads, "DO NOT PASS THIS POINT!  THIS IS THE POINT OF NO RETURN!  THE HAUNTED PASS BEGINS HERE!"  What you find very strange is that just a couple inches behind the sign, thick fog completely covers the path forward.  It stands like a wall.  Zinek is about to walk right into it.  You all grab him, tackle him and hold him down.  With a strong slap from Sister, he seems to snap out of it.  "What the.... what the hell are you all doing?  What am I doing out here?!  Get off of me."  He's ok, and you explain what happened and walk back to the house ya'll are using in Glom.  You try to go back to sleep... but it's not happening. 

About 2 hours later ya'll gear up and take off to check out the giant's cave, where the Trollops were last seen.  You take off an hour before sunrise so you can recon the place in the dark.  You take the western path about a quarter mile and then go south an eigth of a mile, to where you can see the cave.  In the dark ya'll sneak up as close as possible; about 100 feet from the cave entrance.  You aren't seeing any movement coming or going.  The sun will rise in about half an hour, and the sky is just starting to lighten up.

Actions?