OtherGround Forums Lets play D&D in this thread!

8 days ago
1/1/01

Will update tomorrow afternoon or evening.

7 days ago
1/1/01
TerryTime - 

Not sure if we do this on here, but I'd like to make a "sense motive" check on the king. It is a wisdom check, and Torgos wisdom is up to 25 after the dip in the pool, so thats a great skill for Torgo. 

During the hour or so that the king and his wizard are questioning you, due to your extremely high wisdom, you get a great picture of what type of man the king is and what his motives are.  You can read him, and most anyone, like an open book without them even giving you much info to go on.

King Harold cares about keeping the people of his city-fort safe.  You figure his alignment to be generally neutral good.  You sense that he'd have no problem bending or breaking the law if it would benefit him.  He also cares about his power, keeping it, and not letting anyone get in position to take it from him.

His elvin wizard, Alrick, is a stern and serious man.  He's very pragmatic and untrusting.  He's loyal to the king but generally an unfriendly man, but a skilled wizard.  During the conversation where he's asking you all about how you got here through the portal, you discover that he did not expect anyone to be coming through the portal, and has never heard of the location in the underdark of the portal that you came through.  It seems as though a "glitch" in the magic of the portal that sent you all here did so randomly.  They are able to send people only to other portals where they have set them up, and they are to the portal rooms of a few allies within a few hundred miles.

TO BE CONTINUED:

7 days ago
1/1/01

Continuing on:

So you are confident that they had no sinister motives in regards to the portal in the underdark pool of power room; they didn't even know of it's existance.  They could arrange travel for you to go about a hundred miles to the west to the fort of an ally of theirs, but from there you'd still have 900 miles to travel to Ironforge.  It would be much faster and safer to wait on the airship to Stormwind, buy tickets, and fly there.  From there you can take the tram to Ironforge.

The king assigns a page boy to show you all around the city, to your hotel, where the airship leaves from, etc.  He's a 16 year old, red headed and freckle faced, lanky human boy named Eric.  He's very talkative and excited to see you all, and he asks a million questions about the world outside of Everjust.  He shows you around the fort-city of Everjust.  It's a square fort with a 15 foot tall stone wall that is 2 feet thick.  It's about 200 yards from each side, square.  In the center of the fort is a 2 story stone building where the king and his family live on the top floor.  The bottom floor is the main city office where all official business is done and it serves as the guards headquarters, and there is a small jail in the basement.  Around the central building are wooden and stone buildings that are shops, stores, and businesses of various sorts.  Vendors line the streets there throughout the day.  Then outside of that square of shops are rows of buildings that are the homes to those who are fortunate enough to live inside of the city.  It's a 20 foot space from the edge of those buildings to the wall on all sides.  Gas lamps line all the streets in 30 feet incriments, and they are lit nighly by page boys.  Outside of the city are nearly a hundred homes within a half a mile radius.  These homes aren't nearly as nice as the ones inside of the city walls, and they obviously don't have the protection of being inside of the fort.  There is one main gate in the center of the south side wall.  It's very heavy wood and iron reinforced.  It's left open 24/7 unless there's a valid reason to secure it, and it's always manned by 4 guards.  

Eric seems to not have any idea that there's anything he shouldnt say, security wise.  He tells you everything he knows and a bunch you don't care to hear.  There are about 20 full time guards, give or take a couple at any time.  But every able bodied adult under king Harold's rule is subject to being called to arms at any time, which is nearly 200 people (4 times that many live in his kingdom, including the kids, elderly, and those who aren't able to fight, which comes to about 800 people under his rule).  There is a bell in a tower that rises 10 feet above the main central building, and all able bodied citizens are to report to the city hall immediately armed if they ever here it.

7 days ago
1/1/01

So Eric finally takes you all to the Coblestone Inn.  It's just south of city hall in a large stone building.  He keeps yapping but Zinek finally covers his mouth with his hand and gives him a stern look, "OK, that's all I can take of you boy.  Go on, get."  He gives the boy a slight push in the direction of the door, and Eric looks saddened but takes the hint.

There is a bar and resteraunt downstairs with a large hearth and a roaring fire.  It's chilly outside, just a few degrees below freezing, and the fire feels great.  There are a few dozen tables with several travelers sitting around eating and warming by the fire.  A bard is playing a guitar in a corner and singing tales of heroes past.  A serving wench seats you.  She's a chubby half orc with a large scar on her face, and a corset that shows off her ample cleavage.  She's wearing a leather short skirt and her chubby yet muscular legs are hairy.  She speaks in a bit of a snarl through her fang-like teeth, "Hi boys, I'm Helga.  Welcome to the cobblestone inn.  We have a hearty deer stew and some honey ale on tap tonight.  We also have rooms available, they start at a gold per night, and include breakfast, lunch and dinner.  We have single rooms and doubles available.  Our winter festival will be starting soon, ya'll came at a good time."

Words/ actions?

Edited: 7 days ago
1/1/01

Everyone please post how many gold pieces you have. That's assuming you've kept track. If you haven't then we'll say you have 500 gold. Here's a breakdown of the value of the coins in this role playing world. Each coin is the size of one of our quarters.

Platinum piece = Worth $1,000 of Earth money.
Gold piece = Worth $100 of Earth month.
Silver Piece = Worth $10 of Earth money.
Copper Piece = Worth $1. of Earth money.

As the game continues please keep track of your gold, any anything your character has such as armor, weapons or equipment.  Maintaining a character sheet would be handy.

7 days ago
12/15/19

Torgo has 500 gold. He purchases a room, and orders a pint honey ale, and a large bowl of deer stew.

He will sit at a table, enjoying the food and drink, and smoking heavily from his pipe.

"Ahhh, smoking and ale.  My favorite inventions from the race of Men."

He pours the entire pint down his throat, belches loudly, then looks to his companions.

"In my old age, much has changed, but one thing remains constant...things very rarely go as planned. We don't have many options here, and I fear Ironforge may be in great peril."

He smiles sadly

"We could take the portal to the fort 900 miles from Ironforge. I can shapeshift into a Mammoth now, Isn't that fun? And we could ride there. It would take a long while. I'm not sure we would even save time, and the journey would be very dangerous. I vote we stay here, and wait for the airship. It is out of our hands. Let us rest, and enjoy ourselves while we can. I fear our quest will take a dark turn soon."

1/1/01
TerryTime - 

Torgo has 500 gold. He purchases a room, and orders a pint honey ale, and a large bowl of deer stew.

He will sit at a table, enjoying the food and drink, and smoking heavily from his pipe.

"Ahhh, smoking and ale.  My favorite inventions from the race of Men."

He pours the entire pint down his throat, belches loudly, then looks to his companions.

"In my old age, much has changed, but one thing remains constant...things very rarely go as planned. We don't have many options here, and I fear Ironforge may be in great peril."

He smiles sadly

"We could take the portal to the fort 900 miles from Ironforge. I can shapeshift into a Mammoth now, Isn't that fun? And we could ride there. It would take a long while. I'm not sure we would even save time, and the journey would be very dangerous. I vote we stay here, and wait for the airship. It is out of our hands. Let us rest, and enjoy ourselves while we can. I fear our quest will take a dark turn soon."

You enjoy your smoke, stew and ale, and discuss things with the group.  Zinek orders bowl after bowl of deer stew along with flagons of ale... the amount he's able to eat seems impossible.  You notice a poker game going on at one of the large circular tables near the heath.  There are 6 people there playing and 4 open seats.  There are 2 humans- one of them appears to be rich due to his clothing and jewelry (he looks like Boss Hoss from the Dukes of Hazard).  The other human is a female who appears average in dress and appearance.  There are 4 orcs and a cloaked figure with a hood pulled over his head.  You can see part of his face and he seems to be a white man.  He seems to currrently be winning the most.  Just from observing you figure you could do well at the table, and without cheating.

7 days ago
12/15/19

Torgo tips the waitress a whole gold piece and tells her to keep the ale coming. He has never played poker before, and looks on interested. 

I'll wait for other party members to respond.

7 days ago
6/26/17

After 6 pints of ale (the first 2 of which he drank as fast as he could manage to ward off the shakes, regardless of his size) and a hearty stew, Snaggle scans the crowd for some ripe female companionship.

He comes to the conclusion that this isn't quite the establishment that would cater to dancing girls and the like, although he does notice a card game happening near the fire that might be fun.

Snaggle turns to the group

"We need to get to Ironfofge as soon as possible, this we all agree on. And it seems that the King's offer is the most logical and safe passage back.

I agree with the old man, enjoy it while it lasts."

Snaggle finishes off his 7th ale, and hollers to the beer wench for another round.

"I must say, the thought of a life sized mammoth having our backs is a thought to behold. Cant say I've ever seen one.

How are they in battle?"

Snaggle takes another gander at the game going on by the fire while he takes a large sip of his ale.

OOC: I'm not sure how alcohol affects things in this game, or just role playing, either way, my boy is an alcoholic.

Also, I have 500 gold, and will make a note to track down my stats and gear and put it on paper for future reference.

12/29/14

(mark Red for 500g, admittedly forgot to track it on my character sheet, I've got track of all my inventory though)

Red asks the tavern to fill his keg from the bag of holding with mead, it had been emptied when partying with the half giants the first time we had (let me know the cost).

He orders several pints and seems to be loosening up a bit after accepting that the airship will be the fastest way back while drinking with the group. Red is generally apprehensive to gamble due to his temper but after several rounds of mead and trying to keep up with Snaggle drinking he eyes the poker game

"Look at these fools, what do ya say we join? Snaggle may as well be a Rabbits foot he's so lucky.. Torgo, remind me to tell you of the time he gambled his soul and got those magic knuckle dusters." He stands up ,and catches his balance and after looking like he might stumble, let's out a loud fart while laughing, and starts to head over to the poker table

6 days ago
1/1/01
TerryTime - 

Torgo tips the waitress a whole gold piece and tells her to keep the ale coming. He has never played poker before, and looks on interested. 

I'll wait for other party members to respond.

You give her a gold and she puts it in her mouth to bend and test it, and then smiles widely as she sticks it down her cleavage.  She says "Well thank you very much king sir!  I'll keep ya'll drinks coming... and if you need anything else... "then she leans in closer and speaks in a whisper... "anything at all... you just let me know."  She throws a wink in at the end.

6 days ago
1/1/01
papa pump - 

After 6 pints of ale (the first 2 of which he drank as fast as he could manage to ward off the shakes, regardless of his size) and a hearty stew, Snaggle scans the crowd for some ripe female companionship.

He comes to the conclusion that this isn't quite the establishment that would cater to dancing girls and the like, although he does notice a card game happening near the fire that might be fun.

Snaggle turns to the group

"We need to get to Ironfofge as soon as possible, this we all agree on. And it seems that the King's offer is the most logical and safe passage back.

I agree with the old man, enjoy it while it lasts."

Snaggle finishes off his 7th ale, and hollers to the beer wench for another round.

"I must say, the thought of a life sized mammoth having our backs is a thought to behold. Cant say I've ever seen one.

How are they in battle?"

Snaggle takes another gander at the game going on by the fire while he takes a large sip of his ale.

OOC: I'm not sure how alcohol affects things in this game, or just role playing, either way, my boy is an alcoholic.

Also, I have 500 gold, and will make a note to track down my stats and gear and put it on paper for future reference.

OK, you enjoy the ale and the stew as you continue to talk with your companions.  If you participated in gambling I'd take some off of your wisdom checks depending on how much you drank first.  Probably best not to gamble in your condition, hah.

6 days ago
1/1/01
Homeless in the cold - 

(mark Red for 500g, admittedly forgot to track it on my character sheet, I've got track of all my inventory though)

Red asks the tavern to fill his keg from the bag of holding with mead, it had been emptied when partying with the half giants the first time we had (let me know the cost).

He orders several pints and seems to be loosening up a bit after accepting that the airship will be the fastest way back while drinking with the group. Red is generally apprehensive to gamble due to his temper but after several rounds of mead and trying to keep up with Snaggle drinking he eyes the poker game

"Look at these fools, what do ya say we join? Snaggle may as well be a Rabbits foot he's so lucky.. Torgo, remind me to tell you of the time he gambled his soul and got those magic knuckle dusters." He stands up ,and catches his balance and after looking like he might stumble, let's out a loud fart while laughing, and starts to head over to the poker table

Helga is proving to be a great waitress, obviously due to Torgo's gold piece tip. She keeps the ale flowing for everyone. She takes your 2 kegs from the bag of holding and refills them. That's 2 gold total for both (A bit pricey, but marked up so the resteraunt makes a profit).

You all discuss things and decide to wait the 3 weeks for the airship to Stormwind. Until then this seems like it will be a cozy town to hang out in.

Red goes to the poker table and takes a seat. Zinek goes over and sits behind and to the side of him to watch the game. Red, what is your wisdom?

Boss Hoss is very charismatic and talks alot. He tells you he's just passing through on business and he runs a gold mining operation. He seems very proud of himself. With a hearty laugh he says the woman next to him his bodyguard, but you aren't sure if he's serious or not. She gives a polite nod, but doesn't say much. Here's her picture:

https://www.enworld.org/attachments/whisper-jpg.77787/

(I'll update this post later and have her pic show up here.)
6 days ago
1/1/01
Here is the cloaked man at the table:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/bd/92/46/bd9246a237a4b01a811b4d7f7e8dc6f2.jpg

(I'll update this post later to have his pic show up).
Edited: 6 days ago
1/1/01

The cloaked man is very quiet and isn't speaking, like the rest at the table.  He's killing it at poker though, and is up nearly a hundred gold pieces, stacked up in front of him.  The orcs are pissed and it seems as if they might be about to get violent.  Every time he wins they seem to get madder.  The biggest one of them says "This fucker's got to be cheating!  Nobody's that lucky.  NOBODY!" as he slams his fist down on the table.

For the first time the hooded figure looks up from his hands and cards in front of him and you all briefly catch a glimpse of his face.  He has yellow eyes that look... inhuman.  Something about him seems... primal... powerful... and perhaps evil.  That look alone is enough to make the big orc swallow hard and sit down.  Then the mysterious man pulls out a bag of holding and begins putting his winnings in it to leave.

Torgo, you've been watching for a while and feel you confident could do well at this game, given your god-like wisdom.

Actions?

6 days ago
12/15/19

Torgo has never played poker before, but he thinks he understands. He's not very concerned with money or materiel possessions, but he enjoys games and enjoys experiencing the culture.

Maybe if he wins he will bed that sultry orc maiden and finally lose his virginity. Hes spent hundreds of years in his forrest and he is enjoying all the experiences of his new adventure.

He walks over to the with a pint in his hand and sits down, the boot on his head askew.

"Care if an old man joins the table? I have coin."

6 days ago
12/15/19

Edited: 6 days ago
1/1/01

Man that's a cool character pic.

I'm enjoying all of yall's role play responces.  It makes the game fun.  Honestly great job, this is some of the funnest online role playing I've done.  Much better than just people who give short, simple answer and don't get into their characters.

6 days ago
12/29/14

ooc: I'm not sure what my wisdom should be, I have base stats for wisdom (no wisdom increasing items or enchantments) - I found a sheet that shows a level 4 dwarf is at 12 wisdom https://dungeonsmaster.com/wp-content/uploads/dnd-next/dnd-next-dwarf-fighter-4.pdf but I'm not sure if this is higher now that I am level 8.

one small ooc for snaggle (wont mention in game since Red doesn't have knowledge of it), but you lifted an interesting magical ring off the Medusa, maybe Torgo or someone in town can help identify it

6 days ago
12/29/14
USMC Blackhearts -

Man that's a cool character pic.

I'm enjoying all of yall's role play responces.  It makes the game fun.  Honestly great job, this is some of the funnest online role playing I've done.  Much better than just people who give short, simple answer and don't get into their characters.

Man your story telling is amazing, I get excited everytime we have a new scene or update. Even things like being at this new city, not even in a combat situation, always has my curiosity peaked and excited to see what happens next. Really appreciate you for making this such an awesome game.

6 days ago
12/15/19

Yeah, I agree the storytelling is awesome. I've only done the one half of a mission but i read the whole thread and it was a great read. Cant wait to continue our adventure!

I only wish we had 1 or 2 more players.

Edited: 5 days ago
1/1/01

I appreciate the positive feedback fellas, truly.  We have room for another player or 2 for sure.  The group needs a healer and maybe a psionicist, imho.  Too bad the Paladin stopped playing.  Same with Az... you reading this Az?  What happened?

5 days ago
1/1/01
Homeless in the cold - 

ooc: I'm not sure what my wisdom should be, I have base stats for wisdom (no wisdom increasing items or enchantments) - I found a sheet that shows a level 4 dwarf is at 12 wisdom https://dungeonsmaster.com/wp-content/uploads/dnd-next/dnd-next-dwarf-fighter-4.pdf but I'm not sure if this is higher now that I am level 8.

one small ooc for snaggle (wont mention in game since Red doesn't have knowledge of it), but you lifted an interesting magical ring off the Medusa, maybe Torgo or someone in town can help identify it

When you first made your character your base stats were:  18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6

You can put them wherever you want on:

Strength

Intelligence

Wisdom

Dexterity

Constitution

Charisma

Comeliness

Now you, Red, being a fighter, would have Strength, Constitution and Dexterity as your highest scores.  Strength gives more damage with each hit.  Constitution gives you more health.  Dex gives you a better armor class, chance to hit with weapons and additional damage with ranged weapons.  Your dwarf racial bonus gives you +2 to your strength and to your constitution.  Then you get to another another point wherever you want every time you level up.  Plus you got a +5 from the pool of power.  Even though I said strength initially... you can put it on either Str, Dex or Con.  You should probably put it on Dex, in my opinion.  But any are a great option.

5 days ago
1/1/01

I have a microsoft word document that I have made and edited a million times over the years that contains the main role playing charts and information I use that's not necessarily from any 1 role playing system.  If any of you all would like me to e-mail it to you just PM me your e-mail and I'll send it.

Edited: 5 days ago
1/1/01

We'll say by now Snaggle will have experimented with his ring and figured out what it does.  Once per each 24 hour period you can use it's power and become invisible for 60 seconds.  You, your clothes, and anything you are carrying.