OtherGround Forums Lindores Abbey Chess Challenge

12 days ago
3/23/07

It's the first day of quarterfinals today.

12 days ago
3/23/07
https://youtu.be/5QooYkxYS44

12 days ago
3/23/07

12 days ago
3/16/11

I only recognize Carlsen and Nakamura. Magnus must be the favourite, but are there any dark horses that could take it? 

12 days ago
3/23/07
Pilgor the goat - 

I only recognize Carlsen and Nakamura. Magnus must be the favourite, but are there any dark horses that could take it? 

I think Levon Aronian is pretty brilliant. But they all are.

12 days ago
10/23/05

I played with 5 of these GMs.

VERY humbling.

Carlsen is an animal.

12 days ago
6/6/02
saglv - 
Pilgor the goat - 

They are all brilliant to even crack top 30.

My favorite player is Karjakin. Youngest GM ever.
12 days ago
10/23/05
fanat - 
saglv - 
Pilgor the goat - 

Karjakin is incredibly talented. He could have been world championship with a little more killer instinct.

Whenever he NEEDS to play for a win, he's brilliant. But too often he goes for a boring draw.

12 days ago
6/6/02
mataleo1 - 
fanat - 
saglv - 
Pilgor the goat - 

Karjakin is incredibly talented. He could have been world championship with a little more killer instinct.

Whenever he NEEDS to play for a win, he's brilliant. But too often he goes for a boring draw.

You are absolutely right.

He need to get the fire lit under his ass.

I like him because he seems like a legitimately nice guy unlike many other top players. He is respectful and doesn't seem to draw negative attention.
Edited: 12 days ago
10/23/05
fanat - 
mataleo1 - 
fanat - 
saglv - 
Pilgor the goat - 

You are absolutely right.

He need to get the fire lit under his ass.

I like him because he seems like a legitimately nice guy unlike many other top players. He is respectful and doesn't seem to draw negative attention.

Ding and Wesley are all
Levon can talk shit when he needs to, but is overall great.

I like Nakamura's boldness. He speaks his mind, but also is critical of himself when he plays poorly.

I've never met anyone who is a better player than Carlsen.
12 days ago
1/1/01

I've officially became a chess dork the past months. Watching events live (at least ones with Magnus, I have an unhealthy man crush on him now!!)

12 days ago
10/21/14
kungfugrip - 

I've officially became a chess dork the past months. Watching events live (at least ones with Magnus, I have an unhealthy man crush on him now!!)

ya i have gotten into chess again. i play alot on chess.com. just the daily chess where you only have to move very 2-3 days if you want. 1126 rating currently. seem to be stuck around that range for eternity. :D
12 days ago
6/13/09
mataleo1 - 

VERY humbling.

Carlsen is an animal.

Respect to you for having played these GMs.

12 days ago
10/23/05
blood fist -
mataleo1 - 

VERY humbling.

Carlsen is an animal.

Respect to you for having played these GMs.

It's more luck than anything. These chess sites randomly pair you when you're playing blitz. I'm not anywhere close to their level 

12 days ago
1/1/01

The only GMs I've played were Maxim Dlugy in a simul event in Nova Scotia a million years ago, Alexandra Kosteniuk in an online simul (a draw), and Boris Gelfand.

Out of that group only Gelfand was a super GM and even then I'm not sure how he would compare to any of the lower ranked in the group above. The Gelfand game was very humbling - you're made to realize that not only are there multiple ways to eat your position alive, but that he always chooses the most efficient and brutal paths. 

I can't even begin to imagine what a 2900 playing level would be like. 

Nakamura was on fire for this tournament.

12 days ago
3/23/07
mataleo1 - 

VERY humbling.

Carlsen is an animal.

A pleasure to have you in this thread sir. Looking forward to hearing your insights.

12 days ago
3/23/07

Nakamura Vs Aronian is live now.

12 days ago
10/23/05

I've played several GMs in long time controls and blitz. When you play as much as I have, you're bound to win a few here and there. Most times, I simply recognize that they are better at everything. They calculate better, they understand endgames better, their intuition doesn't fail. You get the feeling of being always 1 step behind. Very similar to a brown belt or purple belt against a black belt.

Carlsen, however, is just different. His understanding is on a whole higher level. The guy is scary.

12 days ago
3/23/07

Nakamura 0.5

Aronian 1.5

12 days ago
12/18/03

In

12 days ago
8/14/18

IBM Watson would wipe the floor with them.

12 days ago
5/18/11

Glad to see sports are returning.

12 days ago
3/16/11
mataleo1 -

I've played several GMs in long time controls and blitz. When you play as much as I have, you're bound to win a few here and there. Most times, I simply recognize that they are better at everything. They calculate better, they understand endgames better, their intuition doesn't fail. You get the feeling of being always 1 step behind. Very similar to a brown belt or purple belt against a black belt.

Carlsen, however, is just different. His understanding is on a whole higher level. The guy is scary.

It’s funny listening to Carlsen talk about technical stuff. He’s part owner of chessable with John Bartholomew (YouTube IM) so once in a while they get together and talk about specific positions and John asks him why he did something or if he was considering a certain structure or tactic, he just says, “I don’t know about all that, just felt like the right move” to everything. Seems like he’s very instinctive about his game. 

11 days ago
1/1/01
stanky leg - 

IBM Watson would wipe the floor with them.

And AlphaZero would eat IBM Watson alive.

Here's the story on this AI - the focus of which was on creating an improved learning algorithm. 

After being given the rules of chess it taught itself to be good enough to be better than the currently world champion computer program in *4 hours*:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/07/alphazero-google-deepmind-ai-beats-champion-program-teaching-itself-to-play-four-hours

Later on it had a more thorough match against Stockfish beating it in a 1000 game match. 

155 victories for Alphazero, 6 for Stockfish.

11 days ago
7/16/15

Cool thread, I’ll have to check it out