OtherGround Forums Little Kaeps make a big stink at football game

10 days ago
12/2/05

Supposedly over kneeling.
10 days ago
12/2/05
(FOX 2) - A high school state football semifinal ended with a culture clash and an ugly confrontation.

Almont is a predominantly white community as is the high school football team while Detroit and Denby's team is predominantly black. Both Denby and Almont were competing to get to Ford Field for the Division Five Championship. What happened after their game is casting a shadow over both teams' otherwise stellar seasons.

Punching, shoving, shouting and hurling racial slurs. Those are some of the allegations arising from the aftermath between the teams at Walled Lake Central last Saturday, as some of the confrontation was shown on video taken by Brandon Folsom with the Port Huron Times Herald.

"From the get-go, the referees shook their head and racial slurs were made about our kids taking a knee," said Denby Coach Deon Godfrey.

Godfrey believes the bad blood began there.

Almont Schools Superintendent Dr. William Kalmar says things went downhill after the game as the Denby football team was leaving the field at the same time as the Almont High School band.

"At some point there was a shove," said Kalmar. "A student-athlete from Denby shoved one of our band members."

Police officers and sheriff deputies moved in to separate the team and band members. Denby administrators worked to de-escalate the situation as students are seen attempting to make their way to the stands.

"A group of spectators gathered and began to taunt the Denby student-athletes on the ground," Kalamar said.

"The video is misleading because you see a bunch of kids running," Godfrey said. "That's actually a parent hit one of my players [sic]."

"Anything that happened, it has just taken away from the accomplishments of both teams to get that far," said Maureen Walton, an Almont parent who attended the game.

FOX 2: "You didn't hear any racial slurs or anything?"

"No," she said. "You could go knock around any door around here, anybody, and they would open their door."

Bob Burg, a white assistant football coach at Denby High posted on Facebook that an Almont fan was "throwing the n-word around like candy", adding that a student manager was called the n-word by an officer and saying that Almont parents spit on and pelted students with garbage after the game.

"If it comes to light that our band members did instigate or make any kind of slurs we will absolutely discipline those individuals," Kalmar said. "There is no place for that in our school, there's no place for that in our community."

Almont won the game 36-8. Referees called it early citing excessive personal fouls by Denby players.

The Oakland County Sheriff's Office is investigating the post-game fracas. They are waiting for video from Walled Lake Central before they decide if they'll recommend criminal charges.

In the meantime, Almont is set to take on Lansing Catholic at Ford Field Saturday at 4:30 p.m.

The Michigan High School Athletic Association is waiting for both Denby and Almont to provide written reports on what happened last Saturday before deciding what action they'll take.

Statement from the Detroit Public Schools Community District:

"The school district (DPSCD) is deeply disturbed by the actions witnessed this weekend during the Almont-Denby game. Based upon preliminary findings, ?it is our understanding that Almont adult spectators were cursing and spitting on our coaches and players after the game while leaving the field. The disrespect toward the city, school, and players continued on social media after the game where Almont fans used numerous racist stereotypes. We look forward to getting to the bottom of what occurred based on factual evidence to determine the district's next steps on how to best support our school and it's administration, coaches, and students."
10 days ago
9/23/07
I have no idea what was going on in that video.
10 days ago
11/20/05

Lol @ kneeling at a high school football game, little retards.

Edited: 10 days ago
12/2/05
Brockback Mountain - I have no idea what was going on in that video.

As far as I can tell from the video and article.

1. Mostly black team took knee at beginning. Claim people yelled slurs at them for it.

2. Mostly white team dominated and the mostly black team was taking it out by committing personal fouls so the refs just called the game.

3. Undisputed that black team guy shoved white team band person. Disputed that it was because of racial slurs.

4. Then what appears in the video. Black team says it was all about slurs. No one from the other side has admitted as much, but then again would they.

So either a bunch of slurs were being thrown around and people reacted. Or a team got their ass kicked, got violent both in the game and after, and are using slurs to justify it. Or some mix of both.
10 days ago
8/27/11

They claimed the police officers were calling their team racial slurs?

10 days ago
12/26/05

Almont won the game 36-8. Referees called it early citing excessive personal fouls by Denby players.

This is the problem with reporting.  This is added as an afterthought, when this is likely the base of the story.

Sounds like the predominantly white team was putting a boot in the ass of the predominantly black team, and the game degraded and got out of control.

A group of students gathered and started taunting the Denby players as the article said.  My guess is this is likely due to the fact the Denby team was cranking up enough personal fouls to call the game early.

10 days ago
12/2/05
Charles Barkley - 

They claimed the police officers were calling their team racial slurs?

Correct.
10 days ago
12/2/05
CavemanDave - 

This is the problem with reporting.  This is added as an afterthought, when this is likely the base of the story.

Sounds like the predominantly white team was putting a boot in the ass of the predominantly black team, and the game degraded and got out of control.

A group of students gathered and started taunting the Denby players as the article said.  My guess is this is likely due to the fact the Denby team was cranking up enough personal fouls to call the game early.

Right. If you remove the mention of slurs, it is: team got whooped and started committing heinous fouls to the point of being essentially DQd. Then committing more violence towards a band member for words being yelled over said fouls. Then got more insane because more words were yelled at them over committing fouls and assaulting the band. WORDS DAMMIT!
12/26/05

Just flat out, this is a highschool football game in 2019...if the slurs werent on film the likelyhood is they didnt happen.

You know how many people likely had their phones out filming shit?  I'm guessing 10-20 at any point in the game bare-minimum if it even mildly resembles the highschool sporting events I've been to in the past 5 years.

If there were racial slurs being wildly thrown around, the idea that at least some of them were caught on camera is nearly zero.

10 days ago
3/19/09
A coworker of mine was there for his son's game. Apparently shit hit the fan pretty quick. Kids did the protest thing, parents yelled, apparently an n bomb got dropped and here we are.
10 days ago
7/13/09

When all else fails, play the n word card.  

12/2/05
Twostep - A coworker of mine was there for his son's game. Apparently shit hit the fan pretty quick. Kids did the protest thing, parents yelled, apparently an n bomb got dropped and here we are.

Fair enough if he heard it, though it doesn't justify violence. Was it wall to wall n-words being dropped like they said?
10 days ago
3/21/12
sewich - 

When all else fails, play the n word card.  

DaKwon why didn't you show up to work today? The guy who was fixing my car called me a NWORD.

Tre'nisha why didn't you do your homework last night? I was in my room working on it and someone walking by my window called me a NWORD.
10 days ago
1/1/01

Stands d exude for bad behavior,  slurs!

10 days ago
9/14/03
CavemanDave - 

Just flat out, this is a highschool football game in 2019...if the slurs werent on film the likelyhood is they didnt happen.

You know how many people likely had their phones out filming shit?  I'm guessing 10-20 at any point in the game bare-minimum if it even mildly resembles the highschool sporting events I've been to in the past 5 years.

If there were racial slurs being wildly thrown around, the idea that at least some of them were caught on camera is nearly zero.

That's how I view any of these videos. If they have proof, they sure as hell would display it. But usually, it's some asshole's word and a carefully edited video.
10 days ago
10/15/13
Twostep - A coworker of mine was there for his son's game. Apparently shit hit the fan pretty quick. Kids did the protest thing, parents yelled, apparently an n bomb got dropped and here we are.

Sounds like your co-worker is just parroting that he heard someone dropped the n bomb out there. Did he actually hear it? Im guessing not. 

10 days ago
9/22/16
The game got called due to one team committing an excess of personal fouls, and that same team charged the bleachers to fight the other team's fans?

Oh, racism.
10 days ago
6/6/02
So, the n word caused the other team to play poorly?
10 days ago
1/25/04

"Claim people yelled slurs at them for it."

Nope. People who blame racism for their shortcomings always lie about such things

10 days ago
2/8/08
fanat - So, the n word caused the other team to play poorly?

First of all, you cant blame just one guy for the entire team playing poorly.

Second, you need to clean up your sentences in the future so they arent misunderstood.
10 days ago
1/1/01

comments from the MHSAA officials.
10 days ago
12/16/11

Nice titty shot at :22.

10 days ago
1/1/01

Here a link to highlights of the game.  The Almont team pretty much dominated the Denny team all game.  The cheap shots come in the last qtr mostly. 
https://youtu.be/7B98Orsj9uM

Mark

10 days ago
3/19/09
Fake Pie - 
Twostep - A coworker of mine was there for his son's game. Apparently shit hit the fan pretty quick. Kids did the protest thing, parents yelled, apparently an n bomb got dropped and here we are.

Fair enough if he heard it, though it doesn't justify violence. Was it wall to wall n-words being dropped like they said?

Ill ask him tomorrow.

And Al, he said you could clearly hear "a few racial slurs" in the yelling. It went both ways, but he claimed it had started with the parents being disgruntled with the kneeling.

When I saw the thread earlier i showed him the video and he said that was the game. He told me the story a few days earlier.